David Otunga WILL Achieve Success In Pro Wrestling

Interesting original thread. And in general, I agree with most of what was said in the original post. I can get behind and agree with most of what was said. So please take my post as more of a constructive criciticsm than an attack.

He is the epitome of the belief that a black man can do anything a white man can do. He's young, handsome, intelligent, eloquent and will achieve success in the sport of professional wrestling.

Interesting. But to be honest, I never really saw it, and it didn't feel to me that was an angle that WWE is going with him. Unless you meant this just as something you admire in him personally, and not from a storyline perspective?

5. Vince McMahon is high on him-

I remember during the time while Otunga was on NXT seeing an article specifying that the WWE is high on David Otunga, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett. The article listed a few reasons for each guy I won't get into detail for Wade and Daniel but the article said that Vince McMahon is high on him because he has the "big guy" look which is true he is pretty muscular and because he is engaged to famous Jennifer Hudson.

The funny thing about that article is the fact that it's shockingly true out of NXT and The Nexus the biggest guys to come out of it is those three guys.

Maybe we are thinking of different articles, and if so, it'd be great if you could post a link or something. I could be completely wrong, but I never remembered hearing or reading anything about anyone being high on Otunga...I'm almost positive that it was the other 2 you mentioned and Sheffield, not Otunga. At least from what I read (and it was posted in the "news" section on this site, so take that for what it's worth) .

Honestly though, if someone could let me know if I am misremembering, that would be great.

4. He has character-

David Otunga actually has one of the things usually missing from professional wrestling a character!

Eh...I'd say he is a character...or even a caricature, who has been given lines and a role on the show but I wouldn't go that far...yet.

David Otunga had the A-Lister gimmick during his duration in NXT which I liked, he genuinely looks like a cocky and narcissistic dude but in 2011 it wasn't getting him over. David Otunga shifted gears and changed his character into the Harvard Lawyer character which was better (IMO). The IWC stopped hating him and getting behind him. Everything about his character makes sense from the mannerisms even to the coffee drinking.

I agree with this. Interestingly enough, the harvard lawyer character was created during his hiatus from wrestling, which may end up being the best thing for him.

3. He is good on the microphone-

I will agree he is good, but I do think that during his nexus run he was not (although I will concede that compared to his fellow nexus/nxt buddies he was comparatively better).

I was one of the first people to notice this...

I mean this in the most respectful and constructive ways possible, but I'm assuming that the purpose of this post is to convince people to see things your way, and that your intended audience is folks who do not think Otunga is a star before reading your thread. If you are trying to change someone's opinion through a list of your own logical and well thought out opinions, that is fine and I commend it.

Nothing wrong with tooting your own horn once in a while, I'm sure we've all done it at some point on these forums. But when you start using phrases like that, it sounds like you believe that you should be applauded. It gets into arrogance territory, like you are claiming that you are smarter than everyone else, that you see things that they don't, and therefore they should listen to you. I honestly don't think that you intended it in this way, but that is how it could come off.

2. His build, his lady, his look

I pretty much agree with everything here. And it certainly wouldn't be above WWE to "use" otunga to try and get his wife to perform at a pay per view. Although it wouldn't surprise me that if it ever happens, that means Otunga is on his way out because he just was forced to use his last ace in the hole.

1. He is constantly improving-

100% agree with this statement. Whoever was in charge with booking otunga did the right thing by giving him a hiatus from wrestling on television. During the time he was off he has gotten noticeably better.

Those are a few reasons why I believe David Otunga will achieve success in professional wrestling. I believe one day he will be a World Champion. David Otunga is very good except for in the ring but he is getting better. Chris Masters use to be horrible in the ring but overtime he got better it wasn't an overnight process and same goes for Otunga he will eventually get better in the ring. I can't guarantee that he will be like a Tyson Kidd but he will be at least manageable like Cena is.

I'm not sure he's destined for world champion, but anything is possible. I would also not go so far as to say he is very good in the ring, but like the poster says, he is getting better.

All in all, I like the original post, and even though I do disagree with some things, it did get me thinking. Good job.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that success is guaranteed, but I do think Otunga is finally moving in the right direction to being successful.

For one thing, Otunga's current gimmick is little more than an exaggerated version of what he actually is: a Harvard educated attorney. He doesn't really have to act as he actually has the legit knowledge that his on-screen character claims to have. He's comfortable in this role and it fits him. It's not stretching the boundaries of the imagination but since when is every gimmick supposed to? Sometimes, less is more.

Secondly, he's drawing very good heat as Big Johnny's right hand man. If you want to get a heel over, it never fails to pair him up with someone that's already drawing great heat. It's pro wrestling 101. Vickie Guerrero had done it with several wrestlers and Big Johnny can do the same thing. Plus, Otunga's a lawyer. A lawyer educated at an ivy league university. That in and of itself makes it easy for your average person to dislike him. Whenever this role for Otunga ends, depending upon how he's booked going forward, Otunga could ultimately be one of the most over heels on the roster.

Thirdly, Otunga has actually gotten to be pretty decent in the ring. He's no Punk or Jericho, but he's obviously improved on timing, selling and he just doesn't look awkward whenever he competes now. He looked good against Kofi last night, though Kofi is one of those guys that can make pretty much anyone look good, but Otunga's improved abilities seemed obvious to me.

I've also actually started to enjoy Otunga's presence on my tv screen. I also have to respect the guy to some degree. He's done a lot with his life already and I'm sure he could do a lot of other things besides wrestling. The fact that he graduated from Harvard alone, no matter what his degree is in, is enough to guarantee him pretty much any job he'd like. His fiance is Jennifer Hudson, who recently was awarded her second gold album, so he probably has ties in both the music & film industry through her. But he's a wrestler because, quite honestly, he has to love it.

I don't see anything great in Otunga's mic abilities or wrestling ability. He's actually one of the worst wrestlers on the roster (with the exception of Khali) but that doesn't matter in Sports Entertainment.

He hasn't sold me on any promo he's ever done (including when you guys were all licking his nuts in NXT) and really in his current role, how could he? He's basically just John Laryngitis's brown-nosing bitch.

As far as his collegiate career goes, universities do practice affirmative action. So would he have actually earned his spot there if it were a level playing field? We won't ever really know, so it'd be pointless to use that as a bragging point. Besides, there are plenty of idiots with PHDs.

He does have the look and physique that Vince has man-crushes for. That will carry him a long way in sports entertainment. He also has ties to a d-list celebrity in Jennifer Hudson. Although, I dare say nobody gives a shit about her and he's already over-played his connection to her with the fans.

As far as charisma goes, I don't see any charisma in the guy. He doesn't captivate me, in fact I contemplate changing the channel or finding something else to do when he's on TV.

You're just a sad man who probably has bigger insecurites to deal with than being on this website.

First off, how do you just automatically ASSUME it could be affirmative action just because he's black? EVEN if so, that still doesn't take away from the fact that he earned his college degree. You take cheap shots at his wife but she's won Grammy's, been on American Idol, been in a blockbuster movie, & has an ad with a huge company... That has to be a joke.

Enough of wasting my time about that, in regards to the topic... I feel his character IS a lot different because not only does he have the smarts but the WWE has decided to add a little bit more aggression to him in his matches. His matches are watchable now, as opposed to when he was a tag team champion.

I believe the WWE did the right thing by making him a captain & if they were smart they would allow him to capture the victory for Johnny Ace to build off of that. He'll shine at WrestleMania, I like the guy & I wish the best for him.

I do not think that he will ever be World Champion in the WWE because he just isn't that good. He is really bad in the ring, and I mean real bad. There are guys who wrestle in backyard promotions who do a better job than him. As much as you would not like to believe it proficiency in the ring does matter in the ring most of the times. The only time I think it does not matter is in the case of a superheavyweight and Otunga isn't one.

As for his character, yes he does have one. But, at the same time, it isn't a character that you associate with a world champion. A lawyer is someone who can be an important support player in a big angle, especially a corporate angle, but he cannot be a major player. His whole personality just screams "backstage politician" and nothing else. Guys with alternate professions have hardly ever been successful in wrestling. Remember Sparky Plugg, the racer? For a guy to become a world champion, he needs to have a gimmick which suggests that his only priority is being a wrestler and winning world titles. Otunga, so far, has done nothing to suggest that.

His celebrity wife is a plus, no doubt, and it will always ensure that he has a job with the WWE, but again, that does not suggest that he will be World Champion. WWE likes it's wrestlers to be associated with celebs and sometimes they even feature these celebs on their shows but it is not a neccesity to have these wrestlers hold titles. Just about any sort of celebrity involvement benefits the WWE.

But that does not mean that he cannot be successful. Like BaconBits has said, he already has a job with the biggest wrestling company in the business which a lot of wrestlers do not have. On top of that, I would also say that winning a world championship isn't the only measure of a success. I would say that a guy like Val Venis or a Santino Marella have had successful careers despite winning the title. They were recognizable names in the midcard and Otunga can certainly become a recognizable name in the current role he portrays.

I like Otunga, he has really floursihed in his role as JL's assistant and I think his mic-work has been very good, he is an interesting character that is actually over with the crowd> He also manages to translate the vain, self-obsessed arrogant persona into his in-ring performance with his flashing of the guns etc. While hs is still not the complete package in the ring , he has plenty of time to work on that in my view he has everything else. I'm not sure if he will ever ascend to world championship status, but a storng run in the mid-card is extremely likely and I believe he could be a tremendous player there.

You're just a sad man who probably has bigger insecurites to deal with than being on this website.

First off, how do you just automatically ASSUME it could be affirmative action just because he's black? EVEN if so, that still doesn't take away from the fact that he earned his college degree. You take cheap shots at his wife but she's won Grammy's, been on American Idol, been in a blockbuster movie, & has an ad with a huge company... That has to be a joke.

Enough of wasting my time about that, in regards to the topic... I feel his character IS a lot different because not only does he have the smarts but the WWE has decided to add a little bit more aggression to him in his matches. His matches are watchable now, as opposed to when he was a tag team champion.

I believe the WWE did the right thing by making him a captain & if they were smart they would allow him to capture the victory for Johnny Ace to build off of that. He'll shine at WrestleMania, I like the guy & I wish the best for him.

So you're saying that universities don't have quotas to bring more minorities in? I didn't say he wouldn't have earned his spot there on an even playing field. I simply said it's because of their affirmative action quotas, we would never know. Since you don't know if he earned his spot there, you can't honestly use it as an accomplishment selling point.

You know damn well Jennifer Hudson isn't an A-list celebrity. Nobody goes to a movie or buys a DVD because they see her ugly mug and name on the box cover. And when Otunga was doing his NXT run, he took every opportunity to announce his connection to her.

Otunga still can't wrestle. He only occasionally has a match that's watchable, when he faces people who can carry him and cover up the fact he can't wrestle. He makes a rookie Batista look like Dean Malenko.

As far as his promos go, he doesn't do any good promos and never has. Name one promo that had you sold? But to be fair on this, he doesn't get many opportunities to since he's Lauranitis'es personal Virgil.

Yeah I think he's definitely coming into his own wrestling wise, his character is forming nicely.
I see a US Title reign coming for him too, probably sooner than later.

Since they've started giving him enough ring time to actually show what he's capable of I think he's proved that he is at least on level with the majority of the roster. Factor in his charisma and he's probably a little bit above at least a portion of the roster too.

He's funny man. They should have went with the lawyer thing from the get go. I love the new David Otunga lawyer on twitter thing. Those smarmy clever and funny vingettes that has Vince Mcmahon all over it. Sometimes things just really click together well.

Who would have thought even 6 months ago or even 3 months ago David Otunga would be one of the most entertaining stars in all of WWE. Amazing.

David Otunga is a future Undisputed Champion. Yes, I said undisputed champion! I believe that in a few years, Otunga's star will be at the level that he will be the catalyst to bring about the official end of the brand split by unifying the titles. You heard it here first. Otunga has the look of a Hogan, the edginess of an Austin, the finisher quality of a Lesnar and the charisma of a Rock all rolled into one talented package. I mean, who else has taken the WWE by storm as quickly as Otunga? Consistent 3 and 4 star matches, cutting-edge promos, and the best look in the WWE by the same guy? It's insane!

As soon as the people backstage stop holding Otunga down, and give him decent entrance music, he will break out in a major way.

David Otunga is a future Undisputed Champion. Yes, I said undisputed champion! I believe that in a few years, Otunga's star will be at the level that he will be the catalyst to bring about the official end of the brand split by unifying the titles. You heard it here first. Otunga has the look of a Hogan, the edginess of an Austin, the finisher quality of a Lesnar and the charisma of a Rock all rolled into one talented package. I mean, who else has taken the WWE by storm as quickly as Otunga? Consistent 3 and 4 star matches, cutting-edge promos, and the best look in the WWE by the same guy? It's insane!

As soon as the people backstage stop holding Otunga down, and give him decent entrance music, he will break out in a major way.

David Otunga is that you? Look Otunga is good, but by no means is he going to beat out guys like Punk, Bryan, Orton, Cena, Miz, Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett, or anyone else they'll have in the main event picture in a few years. You gotta remember they'll have the guys I just listed on top of guys like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, and The KOW coming up within a year or two if not sooner. So Otunga being a World Champ? Not going to happen, US Champ, probably, but not World Champ by any stretch of the imagination.

David Otunga is that you? Look Otunga is good, but by no means is he going to beat out guys like Punk, Bryan, Orton, Cena, Miz, Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett, or anyone else they'll have in the main event picture in a few years. You gotta remember they'll have the guys I just listed on top of guys like Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, and The KOW coming up within a year or two if not sooner. So Otunga being a World Champ? Not going to happen, US Champ, probably, but not World Champ by any stretch of the imagination.

Are you serious? Do you even watch wrestling? Let me debunk every person you listed and tell you why Otunga is better:

Punk: Clearly already falling out of favor. One-dimensional character that crowd is rapidly losing interest over, will be back in the mid-card six months tops. Otunga has better mic skills, more versatile character and better finishing move.

Bryan: Flavor of the month MITB winner similar to Swagger and Del Rio. Nowhere near Otunga's charisma or finishing move.

Orton: Decent enough. For Smackdown. Never could carry the main event of RAW. Otunga has way more charisma.

Cena: Time at the top is coming to the end, will pass the torch to Otunga when time is right.

Miz: Wish him well in his future endeavors.

Ziggler: Has peaked in the last few months. Incapable of progression or improvement from here on out.

Rhodes: Too skinny and a piss-poor actor. Otunga has him beat in just about every category.

Barrett: Injury-prone and cannot be trusted to stay in the main event. Otunga has much more charisma and longevity.

Rollins/Ambrose/KOW: Indy trash. Will not make it in the big leagues, sorry.

I can't see any of those guys you listed doing bigger things than David Otunga in the next few years. If you actually watched wrestling you would know this.

The guy has a few things going for him. He's involved in a major story line with the GM/GM and his interactions with Ace. I didn't notice it as much until he did his pose down on the entrance ramp but the guy is jacked. I know there's not as much emphasis on that these days but it can't hurt. He's solid on the mic. I wouldn't say he has a lot of charisma just cause his character now doesn't rely on that, but he's got a lot of confidence in what he's doing. He's not tepid or shy but it's not like he's forcing it either, he has a very natural feel. I would guess that the character he's playing now is his personality with some attributes turned up to 10. That's worked for some of the greatest it could work for him.

I like the way he makes me dislike him. I don't dislike him in the way that makes me want to turn the channel. I dislike him in the way that I want to see Cena or CM Punk destroy the guy. For me not a lot of heels can do that anymore, I'd rather watch 10 minutes of American Pickers and turn it back.

The "commercials" on raw about his law firm really remind me of wrestling from 20 years ago. I dunno why but when they come up I feel nostalgic in a good way.

Like a lot of guys on the roster I think he could benefit greatly from 1-2 less hours in the gym a week and 1-2 more hours working with guys like a Regal, Jericho, HHH, Kane, Steamboat etc on polishing up their ring work. Not just execution but ways to get the crowd invested in their moves, pacing, anticipation. The Cobra isn't a an exciting triple whirly high flyingarana twisting arm drag skull buster but the crowd goes crazy for it. It doesn't have to be complicated to be captivating.

I'd like to see the guy put 100 percent into wrestling and find a lot of success in it. Please keep him far away from any nation of domination/criminal/ghetto/hip hop crap gimmick.

He's funny man. They should have went with the lawyer thing from the get go. I love the new David Otunga lawyer on twitter thing. Those smarmy clever and funny vingettes that has Vince Mcmahon all over it. Sometimes things just really click together well.

Who would have thought even 6 months ago or even 3 months ago David Otunga would be one of the most entertaining stars in all of WWE. Amazing.

I love the bits they are doing with his law firm commercials. They're short, sweet, and makes the guy seem like a crooked snake in the grass. I can't place my finger on why but they just remind me of mid/late 80s to pre attitude era wrestling.

Are you serious? Do you even watch wrestling? Let me debunk every person you listed and tell you why Otunga is better:

Punk: Clearly already falling out of favor. One-dimensional character that crowd is rapidly losing interest over, will be back in the mid-card six months tops. Otunga has better mic skills, more versatile character and better finishing move.

Bryan: Flavor of the month MITB winner similar to Swagger and Del Rio. Nowhere near Otunga's charisma or finishing move.

Orton: Decent enough. For Smackdown. Never could carry the main event of RAW. Otunga has way more charisma.

Cena: Time at the top is coming to the end, will pass the torch to Otunga when time is right.

Miz: Wish him well in his future endeavors.

Ziggler: Has peaked in the last few months. Incapable of progression or improvement from here on out.

Rhodes: Too skinny and a piss-poor actor. Otunga has him beat in just about every category.

Barrett: Injury-prone and cannot be trusted to stay in the main event. Otunga has much more charisma and longevity.

Rollins/Ambrose/KOW: Indy trash. Will not make it in the big leagues, sorry.

I can't see any of those guys you listed doing bigger things than David Otunga in the next few years. If you actually watched wrestling you would know this.

Obviously you must be David Otunga, but anyways to rip your arguement to shit, I'm not disagreeing with his spot now, nor am I saying he won't be a champion, just not World Champion. I'll list just like you did to make myself look cool just like you btw.

Punk: Isn't going anywhere, he will beat Jericho, which honestly I know were going to see a helluva match so idc who wins or loses. One dimensional? Are you blind, he is a striker, submission guy, and as far as being worse than Otunga in mic catergories, yea, makes you sound dumb when you go that far.

Bryan: I agree he isn't Mr. Charisma, but the man puts on wrestling clinics when he needs to. Otunga's finisher has cred? I mean it's a spinebuster, and a very poorly executed one at that, try getting choked out and see what's the difference.

Orton: Couldn't carry RAW? Obviously you started watching wrestling like a month ago or something, because this man frontlined RAW against the likes of HHH, Edge, and Cena,and I don't see women going bat shit crazy when Otunga goes out and competes. No kid is saying "Hey mommy, can I get that sweater vest like David Otunga." Orton has a cunning charisma.

Cena: You mean to tell me from John Cena, arguably the most important man in wrestling the last 5-8 years is going to be passing the torch to David Otunga? This one was easily your most stupid statement you made. I had to wipe the tears of laughter away from my face as I read this. Otunga will never be Cena, Otunga can't draw fans, nor can he even hold on to a 3 star match, let alone a 5 star match.

Miz: Right? I bet you think David Otunga will be World Champ.... oh yea right. I bet you think McGillicutty will feud with Otunga for the World Title and that Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel will be feuding over the WWE Title? Miz is stalling right now, but he has too much heel heat to not be kept on the roster.

Ziggler: You mean to tell me he hasn't got better every time he had a big match? I think Ziggler hasn't peaked, close, but not yet. He will become champ by the end of the year.

Rhodes: Skinny? Look at Bryan and Punk? Not too big. I think you got the Vince McMahon idea of signing wrestlers, as long as they are 6'4 and 265 lbs and look like a statue then they can wrestle. You mean to tell me you'd rather watch an Otunga match than a Cody Rhodes match, your arguement has just become invalid.

Barrett: Injury Prone? He has been injured once in his time in the WWE. AND it wasn't even his fault, but a screw up from The Big Show. So as far as being injury prone, don't make me laugh. He can't be trusted in the main event, when has he been trusted in a main event slot anyway?

Rollins/Ambrose/KOW: Indy trash? LMFAO, you do know that both World Champs were in the indies for years? Y2J came from the indies, half the damn roster came from the indies. These 4 are just SOME of the up and comers they got coming to the show to push Mr. Otunga off the "perch" he's on.

And as far as not watching wrestling? LOL I watch wrestling almost everyday. You must not have seen Austin, Lesnar, Hogan or any other guy you listed cuz if you did, You would know for a fact that David Otunga, while a good wrestler, will NEVER even come close to the guys you listed.

I'll list just like you did to make myself look cool just like you btw.

Punk: Isn't going anywhere, he will beat Jericho, which honestly I know were going to see a helluva match so idc who wins or loses. One dimensional? Are you blind, he is a striker, submission guy, and as far as being worse than Otunga in mic catergories, yea, makes you sound dumb when you go that far.

Bryan: I agree he isn't Mr. Charisma, but the man puts on wrestling clinics when he needs to. Otunga's finisher has cred? I mean it's a spinebuster, and a very poorly executed one at that, try getting choked out and see what's the difference.

Orton: Couldn't carry RAW? Obviously you started watching wrestling like a month ago or something, because this man frontlined RAW against the likes of HHH, Edge, and Cena,and I don't see women going bat shit crazy when Otunga goes out and competes. No kid is saying "Hey mommy, can I get that sweater vest like David Otunga." Orton has a cunning charisma.

Cena: You mean to tell me from John Cena, arguably the most important man in wrestling the last 5-8 years is going to be passing the torch to David Otunga? This one was easily your most stupid statement you made. I had to wipe the tears of laughter away from my face as I read this. Otunga will never be Cena, Otunga can't draw fans, nor can he even hold on to a 3 star match, let alone a 5 star match.

Miz: Right? I bet you think David Otunga will be World Champ.... oh yea right. I bet you think McGillicutty will feud with Otunga for the World Title and that Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel will be feuding over the WWE Title? Miz is stalling right now, but he has too much heel heat to not be kept on the roster.

Ziggler: You mean to tell me he hasn't got better every time he had a big match? I think Ziggler hasn't peaked, close, but not yet. He will become champ by the end of the year.

Rhodes: Skinny? Look at Bryan and Punk? Not too big. I think you got the Vince McMahon idea of signing wrestlers, as long as they are 6'4 and 265 lbs and look like a statue then they can wrestle. You mean to tell me you'd rather watch an Otunga match than a Cody Rhodes match, your arguement has just become invalid.

Barrett: Injury Prone? He has been injured once in his time in the WWE. AND it wasn't even his fault, but a screw up from The Big Show. So as far as being injury prone, don't make me laugh. He can't be trusted in the main event, when has he been trusted in a main event slot anyway?

Rollins/Ambrose/KOW: Indy trash? LMFAO, you do know that both World Champs were in the indies for years? Y2J came from the indies, half the damn roster came from the indies. These 4 are just SOME of the up and comers they got coming to the show to push Mr. Otunga off the "perch" he's on.

And as far as not watching wrestling? LOL I watch wrestling almost everyday. You must not have seen Austin, Lesnar, Hogan or any other guy you listed cuz if you did, You would know for a fact that David Otunga, while a good wrestler, will NEVER even come close to the guys you listed.

Otunga will never come close to them because he will far outstrip anything they have ever done. Get your facts straight. And let me ether you real quick and debunk the inaccuracies you just posted:

Yes, Punk is one-dimensional from a character standpoint. His character needs somebody just as good or better to go against him and carry feuds.

Yes, Otunga has a better finisher than Bryan. Seeing as that "submission" move is super easy to get out of, all you have to do is roll over. Not believable at all.

No, Orton can't carry RAW. Cena, Edge, and HHH did during those feuds. Clown.

Yes, Miz will be future endeavored in the near future.

Yes, Ziggler has peaked. He has been putting on the same match for a year now. No improvement whatsoever.

Yes, I would rather watch an Otunga match than a Rhodes match because Otunga actually knows how to tell a story in the ring and Rhodes doesn't.

Barrett was trusted with a main event when he was going against Cena and proved that he can't cut the mustard. And just because somebody else was involved doesn't mean you aren't injury-prone. Dude is always hurt.

And yes, the dudes you listed are indy trash. I didn't say all indy wrestlers were bad, just that these guys are complete garbage.

So nice try, but you clearly are ignorant of anything related to wrestling. I suggest you go back to watching figure skating or whatever else it is you enjoy so much. And please stop trolling our threads.

Greetings gangstas from the Land of the Dirty Snow; the unconventional Northeast. I'm ecstatic that the OrgPo took the time to outline a portion of "King David" Otunga's strengths. The A-Lister has easily cracked my Top 10 & my "Face 5" if we're only talking double double E. Dolla dolla bills, y'all.

Any of you who don't think Otunga has charisma have never interacted with a lawyer. They're not all Clarence Thomas's or Lionel Hutz's. This viewer laughs his tits off whenever we get that patented scowl from Ace's Legal Advisor. His lawyer persona is the next best Justice System schtick to Lance Storm claiming he was going to file suit for the fans boo hooing his matches. You feelin me, suga-babies?

I'd file an appeal to the testimony that his in ring work hasn't improved, too. I witnessed the defendant from his NXT days (when he was still wet behind the ears) to last week on Raw and it's my belief that he's guilty on several charges of "Upping his Game." While he's no Hitman, the Harvard Heel has definitely come a long way despite only sporadic matches and no big feuds to speak of. Now break that down, daddy-o's.

If it pleases the Forum, I'd like to conclude that Mr Otunga is fit to plead temporarily inexperience during his lesser appreciated bouts & that no further unmitigated prosecution of the PhD Playa is warranted. I rest my case. Until next time, esteemed members of the jury, dry clean only your lite brite jackets, holla back at fly girls, and for God's sakes check out Santino's "Foreign Exchange" on the YouTubes. Best regards, wrestling fans.

You found the secret message! "... When the negativity surrounds, I know some day it'll all turn around..." - Matisyahu

ok, David Otunga is not BETTER tah CM Punk, delusional much???

Otunga has a great look and when he stiops being a stooge, Im sure he will have a solid heel run on his own merits. For anybody to think he is a much better money prospect than Punk, Orton, Sheamus is handling their balls far too much.

Its all about the puish and the angle they get given to sell their talents in. Without this, Otunga will continue to be boring as bat shit. He will get the clean win at Wrestlemania for his team, and a United States Title win over Santino is a given. When he is given the ball, lets see where he runs with it.

Otunga will never come close to them because he will far outstrip anything they have ever done. Get your facts straight. And let me ether you real quick and debunk the inaccuracies you just posted:

Yes, Punk is one-dimensional from a character standpoint. His character needs somebody just as good or better to go against him and carry feuds.

Yes, Otunga has a better finisher than Bryan. Seeing as that "submission" move is super easy to get out of, all you have to do is roll over. Not believable at all.

No, Orton can't carry RAW. Cena, Edge, and HHH did during those feuds. Clown.

Yes, Miz will be future endeavored in the near future.

Yes, Ziggler has peaked. He has been putting on the same match for a year now. No improvement whatsoever.

Yes, I would rather watch an Otunga match than a Rhodes match because Otunga actually knows how to tell a story in the ring and Rhodes doesn't.

Barrett was trusted with a main event when he was going against Cena and proved that he can't cut the mustard. And just because somebody else was involved doesn't mean you aren't injury-prone. Dude is always hurt.

And yes, the dudes you listed are indy trash. I didn't say all indy wrestlers were bad, just that these guys are complete garbage.

So nice try, but you clearly are ignorant of anything related to wrestling. I suggest you go back to watching figure skating or whatever else it is you enjoy so much. And please stop trolling our threads.

Holy God, you made me laugh. First of all, you got 6 posts, FUCKING 6. So get off my balls about our threads, 2nd of all Mr. Otunga, it's obvious you don't have a mind for wrestling if you think Otunga is the future of wrestling. So go ahead and post your 4 or 5 more posts then leave. For the record figure skating got some hot bitches in it, and as far as me being "ignorant", I will act like "ignorant" means a big hot tub full of bubbles and I will soak in my own "ignorant" juices. Fucking kids nowadays stepping up to people thinking since they know 5 wrestlers that they can come in and talk like a big boy.

Holy God, you made me laugh. First of all, you got 6 posts, FUCKING 6. So get off my balls about our threads, 2nd of all Mr. Otunga, it's obvious you don't have a mind for wrestling if you think Otunga is the future of wrestling. So go ahead and post your 4 or 5 more posts then leave. For the record figure skating got some hot bitches in it, and as far as me being "ignorant", I will act like "ignorant" means a big hot tub full of bubbles and I will soak in my own "ignorant" juices. Fucking kids nowadays stepping up to people thinking since they know 5 wrestlers that they can come in and talk like a big boy.

It's funny how you have to resort to personal attacks and flaming me without even trying to argue with me, because you know everything I said is true. Just because some of us are able to accurately gauge potential, and see Otunga for the future breakout main-event star that he is, you choose to attack my character as a person. I find that reprehensible.

You fail to give one good reason that David Otunga won't be what I predict. And that is because you cannot honestly do it. Otunga is the total package, and the future, and will see the WWE into its next boom period, and everybody is starting to see that. Except apparently you. So go ahead and throw some more ad hominem attacks at me, you are only embarrassing yourself, your family, and anybody that agrees with your way of thinking.

Like some other posters remarked, it remains to be seen if Otunga will be, in your words a 'success' in the WWE. But to be fair while watching that opening match with Kofi Kingston on Smackdown I found myself enjoying Otungas ring work for the first time probably EVER.
Now that's not to say he was anything great, but it was the first for me that i saw a noticeable change in Otunga's aggression and ability, his size and power is starting to shine through much more now then ever before.

With that being said I think as of late Otunga has been used perfectly, and should continue to be used sparingly in the ring one on one to build him over the looong term, as he does have many things that need to be refined.
As you said he has a fully rounded out character which he can use to continue to stay relevant and see weekly interactions between him and fellow superstars.
I think the first sign of Otunga's current 'push' being taken more seriously will be once he has been booked into a higher mid card feud to establish himself further.

It's all in what creative can find for wrestlers and it's the roller coaster effect. Otunga is up there right now, but I guarantee he'll fall to the bottom sooner or later. Then another wrestler will be up there and the IWC will jump on the bandwagon. It's what you people do. I am not part of it. If I like a wrestler, they stick with me forever, unlike most of you. That's the reality whether some of you want to bash me or not.

What makes you sure? What makes you sure that WWE won't mess up the pushes of Miz, Ziggler, Rhodes, Barrett, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, KOW and etc?

Did anybody think that Miz would become WWE Champion in 2006 or 2007? David Otunga is still fairly new. You also have to remember that being a World Champ these days in Wrestling isn't too hard look at Sheamus and Swagger for crying out loud. I believe that Otunga will be WWE Champion. Did you think Mark Henry would be World Champ when he was screwing Mae Young? Highly doubt it.

I haven't seen anything great in Otunga. He is boring on the mike and has very little charisma if any. His promos are uncomfortable because there forced and his acting is god awful. He can't wrestle, he isn't a good wrestler. Granted he hasn't been given a real opportunity in the ring besides squash matches but from what I've seen he has absolutely nothing special. His character is different but not unique. Didn't Christopher Nowinsky have a similar gimmick? But that guy could wrestle and talk much better than Otunga. His gimmick is fine but Otunga cannot execute it at all. The guy needs to go back to that god awful reality show he was on or just go back to jobbing and putting over guys who actually should be getting pushed like McIntyre, Swagger, Kingston, DiBiase or Riley. All those guys can wrestle and are ok on the mike. They have the look and the mid card division should be based around these guys, Ryder, Rhodes & Gabriel.

Got a little off topic there but in all Otunga is not that great. I hate his recent push and like you bring up multiple times, his wife Jennifer ....? is the reason he has a job. Vince loves celebrities, as we all found out over the year of guest hosts we had...

What look does Otunga have? He's kind of jaundice looking. He's also really short and the look in his eyes screams confused and fearful, not tough or dominant or charsimatic. He muscular but so are plenty of other guys.

The guy is getting by on his non-wrestling resume, not his ability. There is no way he achieves much more than sidekick or short-term mid-card title holder.

Listen, first I want to remind everyone of the runaway success trend in WWE lately... CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler and Zack Ryder have all had unexpected pushes and extra emphasis over the past 6 months. Obviously WWE is restacking the deck, building a new main event scene around grudge feuds with top stars. Otunga is primed to enter it, and whether you feel it's deserved or not, it's hard to deny that it looks like it's playing out that way.

Facts are facts, and Otunga's high profile marriage matters in "this business" as Booker would say. They're going to feature him often because of his high profile in mainstream media. Honestly this has made up for his lacking ring ability. On the other hand his mic work and overall presence has improved greatly.

Otunga's most likely going down to Santino at Wrestlemania, yet he could be in line to win the US title from him after April 1. His character is pretty funny, and I honestly thought he wasn't bad back on NXT, personality wise. Still needs a lot of improvement in the ring, he could learn a thing or two from Darren Young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back