David Otunga WILL Achieve Success In Pro Wrestling

cmedge

The Abdi
David Otunga at 30 accomplished more than some people do in their entire lives. David Otunga has a bachelor's degree in Psychology, he was on a reality show, he is a Harvard graduate and a certified lawyer and don't forget about how he's engaged to the beautiful and successful Jennifer Hudson.

First of all does he need to be a wrestler to become successful? The man is living the life currently. Look at all of his accomplishments at the young age of 30 years old.

He is the epitome of the belief that a black man can do anything a white man can do. He's young, handsome, intelligent, eloquent and will achieve success in the sport of professional wrestling.

I'm sure most of you will be wondering why? Why will Mr. Harvard Law Graduate achieve success in professional wrestling well here are the reasons why.

5. Vince McMahon is high on him-

I remember during the time while Otunga was on NXT seeing an article specifying that the WWE is high on David Otunga, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett. The article listed a few reasons for each guy I won't get into detail for Wade and Daniel but the article said that Vince McMahon is high on him because he has the "big guy" look which is true he is pretty muscular and because he is engaged to famous Jennifer Hudson.

The funny thing about that article is the fact that it's shockingly true out of NXT and The Nexus the biggest guys to come out of it is those three guys.

4. He has character-

David Otunga actually has one of the things usually missing from professional wrestling a character!

David Otunga had the A-Lister gimmick during his duration in NXT which I liked, he genuinely looks like a cocky and narcissistic dude but in 2011 it wasn't getting him over. David Otunga shifted gears and changed his character into the Harvard Lawyer character which was better (IMO). The IWC stopped hating him and getting behind him. Everything about his character makes sense from the mannerisms even to the coffee drinking.

3. He is good on the microphone-

David Otunga has charisma! I was one of the first people to notice this. During NXT and even when he guest hosted Raw in 2010 I noticed that David Otunga has charisma. He can speak on the microphone a skill that some amazing wrestlers can't simply master.

From his NXT run and during his time in The Nexus and currently I've always and still do look at Otunga and say that one day he will become a star. If you don't believe me when I say that he is a good microphone worker check his NXT, Nexus and just watch him on SD/Raw.

2. His build, his lady, his look

This is basically some of 5 but into more detail.

The Build

David Otunga is a big guy muscle wise. It's no secret that the WWE likes big muscular guys I'm not implying anything about the WWE disliking smaller guys or anything in that context. David Otunga is a very muscular guy he has a great big body.

Jennifer Hudson

I am not implying that WWE only is invested in Otunga because of Jennifer Hudson I'm not implying that AT ALL. It's no secret that the WWE enjoys celebrity involvement and enjoys media references and what not. David Otunga is currently with a very famous lady. Jennifer Hudson is a great R'NB singer, actor and spokeswoman. People know who she is it's a fact. I can't remember whether it was announced or highly rumored but I heard that she will be singing at Wrestlemania.

The look.

David Otunga also looks unique whether it's his colorful attires, his cool; "fresh" haircuts and etc. He looks unique to me. I don't know if other people see it or not but I think he has the look that the WWE would want. Just look at his lawyer attires for crying out loud.

1. He is constantly improving-

Would you like to know one of the main reasons why the WWE was so high on The Miz? It was because of his constant improvement. David Otunga is constantly improving just look at him in the ring on NXT he could barely even do his finisher correctly. Look at him when he faced Kofi Kingston tonight I can't say he's a Tyson Kidd but he can at least have a match now. Kofi Kingston vs. David Otunga was actually a decent match. David Otunga showed aggressiveness while still looking like a complete A-hole! David Otunga actually wrestled decently he wasn't half bad tonight. I know that some haters will rag on him because of his greenness in the ring but people don't become good over night. The way WWE books Otunga is smart sometimes, they put him with what he does best talk. He is featured prominently with Johnny Ace while he has many speaking roles he isn't featured too prominently in a wrestling match. He probably has a ring at home or whatever who knows? He is basically practicing his in ring stuff elsewhere while being featured on WWE for what he does best. It's genius honestly, it doesn't make Otunga look like a goof in the ring and it showcases his eloquence.

Those are a few reasons why I believe David Otunga will achieve success in professional wrestling. I believe one day he will be a World Champion. David Otunga is very good except for in the ring but he is getting better. Chris Masters use to be horrible in the ring but overtime he got better it wasn't an overnight process and same goes for Otunga he will eventually get better in the ring. I can't guarantee that he will be like a Tyson Kidd but he will be at least manageable like Cena is.

There are about 50 other guys on the roster who look, act, talk, and walk the same way as this dude. There really aren't any characters in the WWE and, as a result, no one really stands out. If he were released tomorrow nobody would miss him, and you would probably change your tune about him as well...

There are about 50 other guys on the roster who look, act, talk, and walk the same way as this dude. There really aren't any characters in the WWE and, as a result, no one really stands out. If he were released tomorrow nobody would miss him, and you would probably change your tune about him as well...

So, you mean to tell me that there 50 other guys that wear a bowtie and talk about being a Harvard graduated or a licence lawyer. You see Otunga actually has something more than half the roster has and that's TV time. If was to get fired tomorrow then people will notice since he has served an importance to Johnny. He has actually been almost like a mouth piece to Ace. Otunga is one those guys that has the full package. So, don't come here say that some 50 other guys can do what he does.

It's hard to say at this point if he is going to be a success at this point or not. He's been on the roster for some time now, and has had time to hone his craft, but his in ring work has been far too sporadic, with a lack of quality one on one in ring work for me to really pass judgement on him as far as how good he is in ring. His look doesn't really set him apart at all at this point. The only thing that gives him any 'look' aside from the rest of the roster is that he has a travel mug..not exactly something that is going to capture the attention of the fans.

His backstage attire reminds of Christopher Nowitski (sp?) and his ring entrance now more closely mirrors Chris Masters...if I can immediately draw two comparisons to talents that didn't go very far from a look standpoint, that doesn't bode well for Otunga.

He definitely has a unique gimmick now, but that's the problem, the lawyer character is very gimmicky. It's not a character you can really use to build a feud around based. He can't sue every person he feuds with, and I don't think we will ever be seeing A Court Room Brawl, so I don't know how far that's going to get him. The cheesy commercial from this past weeks Raw was bad...it didn't do anything to make him look credible.

Wrestlemania will be a big moment for him, easily the biggest for him since the end of the Nexus. If he picks up the win for his team at WM, it may be a sign that WWE has something grander in store for him. However, there is always a good chance is current push is just to get interest in the GM Wrestlemania match.

This has to be my favorite post on this site in a while. Since Otunga's been working under Johnny Ace, I've kinda been a mark for the guy. I love his lawyer gimmick because it does get over very well. He awful sweaters and bowties, paired with that annoying sipping noise out of his coffee thermos, just little unique things make his character actually stand out. Everytime he's in the ring or on mic, he looks and feels a little more comfortable. The guy is great and I hope he goes places.

There is one thing I can say about David Otunga, and thats that I respect him.

He has done SO much in his short life! Imaging what more he can accomplish.

The one thing I always point out to people is that Otunga is most-likly set when it comes to money. . . so why in the blue hell is he a wrestler?

There is only one answer to why he chose this quite dangerous career, and that is he must honestly love the business. Otunga needs not to be a Pro Wrestler if he don't want to.

And this love for the business can surly get him some success.

So, you mean to tell me that there 50 other guys that wear a bowtie and talk about being a Harvard graduated or a licence lawyer. You see Otunga actually has something more than half the roster has and that's TV time. If was to get fired tomorrow then people will notice since he has served an importance to Johnny. He has actually been almost like a mouth piece to Ace. Otunga is one those guys that has the full package. So, don't come here say that some 50 other guys can do what he does.

This is like pointing out the difference between someone who wears black ring gear and someone who wears white. It doesn't FREAKING MATTER! I don't care if he wears some stupid little bow tie; it doesn't make him a CHARACTER. Are you old enough to remember what REAL CHARACTERS are? Try Mr Perfect, Adrian Adonis, Ric Flair, Rowdy Piper, Austin, Hogan, Rude, Junkyard Dog, etc...
These are real, larger than life characters. Nothing stands out in today's crop. The wrestlers are generic and boring. Otunga is not any different.

I don't see anything great in Otunga's mic abilities or wrestling ability. He's actually one of the worst wrestlers on the roster (with the exception of Khali) but that doesn't matter in Sports Entertainment.

He hasn't sold me on any promo he's ever done (including when you guys were all licking his nuts in NXT) and really in his current role, how could he? He's basically just John Laryngitis's brown-nosing bitch.

As far as his collegiate career goes, universities do practice affirmative action. So would he have actually earned his spot there if it were a level playing field? We won't ever really know, so it'd be pointless to use that as a bragging point. Besides, there are plenty of idiots with PHDs.

He does have the look and physique that Vince has man-crushes for. That will carry him a long way in sports entertainment. He also has ties to a d-list celebrity in Jennifer Hudson. Although, I dare say nobody gives a shit about her and he's already over-played his connection to her with the fans.

As far as charisma goes, I don't see any charisma in the guy. He doesn't captivate me, in fact I contemplate changing the channel or finding something else to do when he's on TV.

This is like pointing out the difference between someone who wears black ring gear and someone who wears white. It doesn't FREAKING MATTER! I don't care if he wears some stupid little bow tie; it doesn't make him a CHARACTER. Are you old enough to remember what REAL CHARACTERS are? Try Mr Perfect, Adrian Adonis, Ric Flair, Rowdy Piper, Austin, Hogan, Rude, Junkyard Dog, etc...
These are real, larger than life characters. Nothing stands out in today's crop. The wrestlers are generic and boring. Otunga is not any different.

I bet you are one of those Attitude Era guys that just can't let go. I'll give you this it ain't a character. It's actually his own personality brought into his wrestling career. Tell me this how can you forget about the guy hanging out the GM always with his bowtie and sipping on coffe? The reason I'm bringing this is because you said no one wil remember.

P.S Don't capitalize everything. /DUMBASS

Otunga is constantly improving just look at him in the ring on NXT he could barely even do his finisher correctly. Look at him when he faced Kofi Kingston tonight I can't say he's a Tyson Kidd but he can at least have a match now. Kofi Kingston vs. David Otunga was actually a decent match. David Otunga showed aggressiveness while still looking like a complete A-hole! David Otunga actually wrestled decently he wasn't half bad tonight. I know that some haters will rag on him because of his greenness in the ring but people don't become good over night. The way WWE books Otunga is smart sometimes, they put him with what he does best talk. He is featured prominently with Johnny Ace while he has many speaking roles he isn't featured too prominently in a wrestling match. He probably has a ring at home or whatever who knows? He is basically practicing his in ring stuff elsewhere while being featured on WWE for what he does best. It's genius honestly, it doesn't make Otunga look like a goof in the ring and it showcases his eloquence.

Those are a few reasons why I believe David Otunga will achieve success in professional wrestling. I believe one day he will be a World Champion. David Otunga is very good except for in the ring but he is getting better. Chris Masters use to be horrible in the ring but overtime he got better it wasn't an overnight process and same goes for Otunga he will eventually get better in the ring. I can't guarantee that he will be like a Tyson Kidd but he will be at least manageable like Cena is.

I'm not sure a lot of that even made sense. Once upon a time he couldn't even do a finisher correctly but now, while he's no Tyson Kidd, can at least wrestle a match, therefore that's one of many good reasons to argue Otunga will achieve success and one day be World Champion?

I mean go ahead and like the guy, but he's no standout anything as far as professional wrestling is concerned. Harvard, Jennifer Hudson, etc, whatever...the guy is boring on the mic and in the ring. His character is nothing fresh nor anything new. As a matter of fact, it's historically pretty limiting. He's got a long way to go to break out in the manner you're suggesting.

I'm not sure a lot of that even made sense. Once upon a time he couldn't even do a finisher correctly but now, while he's no Tyson Kidd, can at least wrestle a match, therefore that's one of many good reasons to argue Otunga will achieve success and one day be World Champion?

I mean go ahead and like the guy, but he's no standout anything as far as professional wrestling is concerned. Harvard, Jennifer Hudson, etc, whatever...the guy is boring on the mic and in the ring. His character is nothing fresh nor anything new. As a matter of fact, it's historically pretty limiting. He's got a long way to go to break out in the manner you're suggesting.

How does it not make sense? It is all categorized under the section of improvement. I happen to like David Otunga I always have. You say he has nothing that makes him stand out well... He's got a famous girlfriend, a Harvard degree, the look, the character, the mic skills(if you watch Raw he is almost Johnny Ace's spokesman).

While I agree with you with the lack of larger than life characters, I don't see what it has to do with David Otunga. You complain about the lack of big characters and I agree with you on it but in this era's there's almost no characters so at least be supportive of one of the few character's WWE's got. If you think David Otunga is boring well that's your opinion bud. He's much better than Johnny Ace that's for sure. Whether you dislike or like Mr.Otunga it's still not going to change whether Otunga is destined for greatness or not. But thanks for your opinion, I love to hear everyone's opinion.

Also, I doubt that there's 50 guys like Otunga. I doubt that 50 guys on the roster have accomplished as much in their lives as David did in his 30 years of living. I doubt that 50 guys if they were released tonight that they would still have money in the back of their pockets. Your correct when you preach about the lack of characters in present day WWE. I'm with you on that brother but we should be appreciate of the few we have because there's still a few unique WWE characters. People do standout, I think a few of your statements are a little too much no offence. But I commend you for having a different opinion and speaking your mind here.

I don't see anything great in Otunga's mic abilities or wrestling ability. He's actually one of the worst wrestlers on the roster (with the exception of Khali) but that doesn't matter in Sports Entertainment.

He hasn't sold me on any promo he's ever done (including when you guys were all licking his nuts in NXT) and really in his current role, how could he? He's basically just John Laryngitis's brown-nosing bitch.

As far as his collegiate career goes, universities do practice affirmative action. So would he have actually earned his spot there if it were a level playing field? We won't ever really know, so it'd be pointless to use that as a bragging point. Besides, there are plenty of idiots with PHDs.

He does have the look and physique that Vince has man-crushes for. That will carry him a long way in sports entertainment. He also has ties to a d-list celebrity in Jennifer Hudson. Although, I dare say nobody gives a shit about her and he's already over-played his connection to her with the fans.

As far as charisma goes, I don't see any charisma in the guy. He doesn't captivate me, in fact I contemplate changing the channel or finding something else to do when he's on TV.

He's not one of the worse, stop it. He's not one of the best though I get it. Alright, David Otunga may have not sold you on his promo skills that's okay it doesn't make him bad. Maybe his character/personality doesn't appeal to you. I don't remember people overrating him on NXT he received alot of IWC hate but okay. Otunga always over shines Johnny Ace because Ace can't speak publicly at all (I don't know why people like him) and Otunga is fairly eloquent.
Okay well I don't know much about being a lawyer or whatever in University but okay. And yes, there's a statistic that shows that 3,000 janitors have PHD's but did they all graduate from one of if not the greatest University in the world? Highly doubt it could be debatable. Okay yes Otunga does have the look that Vince likes I agree with you there. He hasn't overplayed his connections with Jennifer Hudson and how does nobody care for her? It's obvious you don't watch much TV (or are too involved with celebrities but it's not a bad thing though don't feel bad). Okay also about how he doesn't captivate you I can't say anything there but thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it.

He will. ****** smarks won't think so. However, there aren't "50 guys" probably not even 10, who do their character as well as Otunga on the everyday roster. Otunga is a smart man obviously. He knows how to get ahead behind the scenes, and he's a smart athletic human being also. That's basically the recipe for success in wrestling.

All you need is character and people to believe your character. He has that, now he just needs to get more comfortable in the ring and put it all together.

Watch him more carefully. He has little charater traits. He slurps, he wears a bowtie, his stupid ass (in a good heel way) pose. He does things that if I were to immitate them, you'd know who I was talking about. Can you do that with Ted Dibiase? No.

I bet you are one of those Attitude Era guys that just can't let go. I'll give you this it ain't a character. It's actually his own personality brought into his wrestling career. Tell me this how can you forget about the guy hanging out the GM always with his bowtie and sipping on coffe? The reason I'm bringing this is because you said no one wil remember.

P.S Don't capitalize everything. /DUMBASS

Why is it that most everyone on here assumes things like "I bet you are one of those Attitude Era guys that just can't let go"? Did you even read the "characters" that I used as examples? Austin was the only one that was from the Attitude Era. How could you read my post (with me mentioning people like Adrian Adonis) and gather that I am an Attitude Era guy? Adrian Adonis died in 1988, so he was not a part of the AE. Mr Perfect wrestled in WCW and was not a part of the AE. Same thing with Hogan and Piper. What Attitude Era did the Junkyard Dog wrestle in? How could you possibly gather that I was an AE guy?

I don't care if Otunga is giving the GM oral in his office every week. This does not make him a "character". How could I forget about the guy in the bowtie? The same way in which you won't remember who he is 5 years from now.

PS: I will stop capitalizing certain words when you get a little SMARTER!

I'm going to hold my hands up here. I was completely wrong about him. I thought that he would have left the business by now. I mean he really doesn't need wrestling to be his livelihood. I was never a fan of him in NXT or Nexus.

I'm a big fan now. His character is unique, I can't ever remember a lawyer gimmick I could be wrong (probably am). He's really improved his ring skills and I actually see him as a viable champion, not WWE or World Champion at the moment, but US Champion or IC Champion yes.

Also, I doubt that there's 50 guys like Otunga. I doubt that 50 guys on the roster have accomplished as much in their lives as David did in his 30 years of living.

There's no doubt about that, but what he accomplishes outside the wrestling profession as opposed to what he accomplishes inside is a function of what is written for him by the WWE braintrust. Right now, he's on an interesting roll but it's predicated on his being subordinate to John Laurinaitis. He stands in the background while John L. speaks, then acts as his enforcer when needed, either verbally implementing a policy or beating someone up in the ring. Having things set up this way is ironic, given that Otunga's law degree casts him as a leader, not a follower.

Take Cody Rhodes and his current program with Big Show. Watching Raw with a bunch of people last week, a girl was saying: "Wow! Is Cody doing a number on the big guy!" But all he was actually doing was showing films of Show's biggest embarrassments at Wrestlemania......which is something Cody had nothing to do with producing, right? The writers have been coming up with stuff for Cody for the past couple years and he's run with it. Good for him.

It's what Creative comes up with and how the writers portray you that counts. Otunga's "speeches" as a member of Nexus were uninspiring, to say the least. I recall plenty of people on this forum condemning him as a character playing a role. Yet now, he's suddenly destined for greatness?

I say: not necessarily. There are plenty of talented performers in WWE, all hoping Creative will come up with something for them. If and when it happens, we're suddenly praising (or damning) these guys to the sky.

Now, it's David Otunga's time. He's been given a nice part to play and he's playing it well. But let's not say others on the roster couldn't do it just as well.

He is getting a push. What he does with it remains to be seen.

He definitely has the look, that we all seem to agree upon, and he has improved his in ring and mic skills so he has a chance.

I will say I like him better now than I did when he and Henning were tag champs. He used to be a guy I hated, I wanted him to get his ass kicked and wanted off TV because he was just awful. Now he annoys me and I want him to get his ass kicked because he is playing a decent heel and is a good compliment to Johnny.

I just wish he would get a better entrance, the whole pose down thing doesn't do it for me

Not going to lie i did not like the guy until this whole thing with Mr. Exitement started. I think with two or three catchphrases, some improvement in the ring, and more "You have a lawyer in Otunga" promos/skits this guy could be a good mid carder at first. Then we can see if he moves on from there.

He does have the look and physique that Vince has man-crushes for. That will carry him a long way in sports entertainment. He also has ties to a d-list celebrity in Jennifer Hudson. Although, I dare say nobody gives a shit about her and he's already over-played his connection to her with the fans

You just had to make this a racial thing. I'm sick of people like you whenever you see a minority who has accomplished something you couldn't do bring up AA. Harvard just doesn't take anyone you still have to be intelligent something your not. Plenty of idiots with PHD's that statement comes off as a hater who barely has a GED. D List celeb? I didn't know selling millions of albums getting some Grammy's a Oscar nod for a #1 movie being the spokeswoman for a national ad makes you a D list celeb and she lost American Idol too. Don't bother responding this is my only post of the day and my pm is off.

Now to Otunga. The guy is working his ass off by being himself. Creative has nothing for you, well have something for creative. Only thing he has to do is keep working on the ring work, he's not as awful as he used to be which means he's putting in the effort to get better. The big question is what to do with him if Team Teddy wins. What he becomes Teddy's stooge now. He does have the look Vince likes but not a over saturated veins on top of veins you know I'm on PED's Masters Batista look. I like the guy, he's putting in more effort with what he has than some who've been there for years. Not a bad life for a 30 year old.

Is he in the WWE, has he been fired in over a year? I'd say, technically he is already a success. He is on his way to being the next IRS. Lawyer is a great WWE gimmick, almost everyone wants to see lawyers get their asses kicked, so even if he is just a jobber, it will be successful. Just because he is nit up to the Lofty IWC's standards, he is very successful. Also, titles do not equal success, some of the greatest most popular wrestlers of all time never held WWE gold or only a Mid card or tag belt, JYD, Orndorf, Piper, Perfect, Hacksaw and so on. So the question should be, how long will he be sucessful.

I think hes destined for greatness but its a shame the fans have forgotten all about the process when it comes to building a superstar. If it doesnt fit the one dimensional model they've built the IWC will not get behind a superstar no matter how much they've accomplished. I dont see whats wrong with the guy. Hes boring and has no mic skills? When exactly does he have descent mic time? Hes playing a lawyer on a wrestling show. I would love to see any of you try to make that character any more exciting than Otunga has. Fact is Otunga's been dealt a shit card but is still relevant. But whatever, modern day wrestling fans will be modern day wrestling fans. If someone doesnt tickle their fancy, it means they should be immediately fired.

For people complaining, at least he has a gimmick that distinguishes him from others.

I really have enjoyed his work recently. He's entertaining and as someone else said, he's a smart guy lawyer...the type of person people would pay to see get beat up...aka a successful heel.

He's only going to continue to get better.

Ummm, David Otunga has already achieved success in pro wrestling. He's in the biggest promotion of them all and a regular on television. There are tens of thousands of pro wrestlers who won't achieve even a quarter of that.

Levity. Some of you needs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back