David Otunga: I Smell A Conspiracy

CM Steel

A REAL American
Raw superstar David Otunga is currently an aid to RAW intern general manager John Laurinaitis on WWE TV. Yes David Otunga is a Harvard grad lawyer as well as engaged to R & B superstar Jennifer Hudson. But right now David Otunga is living a streotype that has been in wrestling for years now. The "House Boy" for the power white man in wrestling.

Going back years to when Virgil had to aid the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase just to get a break in big time wrestling. But before Michael Jones aka Virgil was in the WWF, he was in the indie's as "Soul Train" Jones.

In 2004-5 Orlando Jordan received a slight push on Smackdown as JBL's "Chief of Staff" in his cabinet. And receiving a run with the U.S. championship for a good while. In which was reminiscence of Ted Dibiase Sr. & Virgil.

When David Otunga first debuted on NXT his gimmick was "The A-List". A fresh young urban Steadmen somewhat. Now on RAW he's gone from being tag team champions with Joe Henning to being Johnny Ace's "house boy".

Can David Otunga catch a break in the WWE on his own in the future? And when will this stereotype cycle finally end in wrestling??

Don't be so dramatic. Otunga is about as talentless as any Superstar. He is lucky to have a job with WWE. His greatest attributes are his famous wife, his educational background and his pathetic reality dating show stint (in that order).

The fact that they show him as an educated and bright individual that a man in power like Laurinitis chooses to have by his side is a compliment to his smarts.

This isn't a race thing at all. Unless bright, Harvard educated lawyer is a new bigoted stereotype that I am missing out on. Don't go chasing waterfalls.

Don't be stupid. I don't think anyone has associated Otunga's role in WWE with his race. It never even crossed my mind. You know why? Because I don't think of David Otunga as a black wrestler. I think of him as a wrestler. I don't think of Laurinatis as a white GM. I think of him as the GM. Why are some people incapable of looking beyond race? Otunga is not in some sort of negative stereotype gimmick right now. His education and intelligence are mentioned regularly. I don't see how that is degrading. I don't know what you mean by "house boy." He's the GM's right hand man. What's wrong with that?

Don't be stupid. I don't think anyone has associated Otunga's role in WWE with his race. It never even crossed my mind. You know why? Because I don't think of David Otunga as a black wrestler. I think of him as a wrestler. I don't think of Laurinatis as a white GM. I think of him as the GM. Why are some people incapable of looking beyond race? Otunga is not in some sort of negative stereotype gimmick right now. His education and intelligence are mentioned regularly. I don't see how that is degrading. I don't know what you mean by "house boy." He's the GM's right hand man. What's wrong with that?

well said.

Things like the OP's original post are only racist if you want them to be racist.. And apparently the OP wants it to be racist.

If it was about race and "holding down the black man" then why not just make a WHITE GUY the right hand man?

Grow up. Otunga is terrible in the ring, but good looking, smart, not terrible on the mic, and married to Jennifer Hudson, which the WWE wants to take advantage of one day. He's a trained lawyer, its the easiest character ever for him... hes just being a stooge version of himself. How many wrestlers are dying for a character/gimmick to get on tv? Otunga fell as backward into a good one.

Take your pick, do you want him back as a tag team wrestler or as a stooge? Do you remember his tag matches? Do you remember his character from his tag team days... Nexus toughguy. The same character as ten other guys that aren't on TV anymore. I'm sure he'd rather have no character at all, driving from show to show, watching the teleprompter in the back with tyson kidd and a dozen other guys that are gonna get cut the week after wrestlemania.

well said.

Things like the OP's original post are only racist if you want them to be racist.. And apparently the OP wants it to be racist.

If it was about race and "holding down the black man" then why not just make a WHITE GUY the right hand man?
I am not a racist! I'm as american as apple pie trickstar!

I'm just really tired of the role some african-american wrestler's have to play just to get ahead in the wrestling industry. No not every single black wrestler has played the "right-hand-man" role. But that whole thing should be put to bed a-sap! Going back to when the APA (Ron Simmons & Bradshaw) had won "Bruce" in a card game.

It really bothers me when people say stupid shit like "the OP's being racist" just because the thread subject has something to do with race. So am I a racist just because I can read in-between the lines? NO! That's bullshit!

Santino is currently Teddy Long's assistant and before him it was Ryder. Their basically playing the same role as Otunga. I dont see people complaining about that.

Otunga was awful with his A List gimmick. Him and Henning made the tag titles irrevelant.

Being John Laurnities lawyer saved his career. I dont see how being a lawyer from Harvard is a stereotype gimmick.

So essentially, the OP here asserts that the creative team is being discriminatory towards David Otunga by making him Johnny Ace's right-hand man - and garners no proofs to support his claim (unless he fully expects us to believe that a few handpicked examples of previous black - not Asian, not white, just black - talent given the same mantle is proof positive of discrimination then, never mind discrimination today).

If you want to be taken seriously, offer more evidence that isn't merely circumstancial(sp?) and/or skewered towards your biases.

I am not a racist! I'm as american as apple pie trickstar!

I'm just really tired of the role some african-american wrestler's have to play just to get ahead in the wrestling industry. No not every single black wrestler has played the "right-hand-man" role. But that whole thing should be put to bed a-sap! Going back to when the APA (Ron Simmons & Bradshaw) had won "Bruce" in a card game.

It really bothers me when people say stupid shit like "the OP's being racist" just because the thread subject has something to do with race. So am I a racist just because I can read in-between the lines? NO! That's bullshit!

Teddy Long is the SmackDown GM. He has Santino and before that,Zack Ryder,as his assistant,not to mention Aksana. So that's 3 Caucasians playing right hand man,left hand man and dick holder to a black man. Jesus,I'm really tired of the role some Caucasian wrestlers have to play just to get ahead in the wrestling industry. You should get on that issue as well.

Otunga's just playing a role,and believe me,this is the best role he'll ever have in the wrestling industry. The fact that he's on TV when so many other,better and more talented wrestlers aren't should prove that the wrestling industry isn't racist towards him or any other black wrestlers. Besides,he's playing a legal advisor. He's not playing Laurinaitis' driver or caddy or bodyguard. That would have been somewhat degrading. A legal advisor is not. A corporate stooge isn't the same as an Uncle Tom.

You may be able to read between the lines,but you're looking at the wrong novel. Don't worry,I don't think you're racist,just a sensationalist.

People really gotta grow some thicker skin these days. I fail to see how exactly this is racist. He's portrayed as being an educated man and as a lawyer not as John Lauranaitis' body guard or servant. It ain't like he's being told to shine shoes. If anything I'd say he's more like Carlton from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

I can see david otunga the one to take the us title of santino on next weeks raw. Otunga can find loop holes to retain his title and by working with Laurinaitis, he will keep the title for a good few months.

I love Santino as champ so maybe if Otunga doesnt win belt of santino next week then maybe he can at Bragging rights ppv? But that is normally Ic champ vs us champ, so atm looks like Cody vs Santino.

On the other hand, it could be Otunga vs Show at BR and a win over show will do wonders for Otunga career.

Overall, i dont think Otunga is going to be buried and i can see him being US champ is the very near future.

What the fuck? Teddy Long is the GM for SD. Mark Henry won a world title and had an awesome push and run. Booker T is allowed to talk.

Seriously dude, get over this bogus shit.

Let's look at Otunga's skillset. He can talk and look annoying. He can't wrestle for shit (yet). He's incredibly talented at carrying a character.

Okay, so now let's look at what we can market and push, keeping in mind that people will use the internet and research guys eventually and shit will get out. 1) he was on a reality show, heelish 2) he's a laywer, heelish 3) he's married to a star who makes more than him (likely) and is more famous than him, heelish.

In what universe do you book him as anything other than what he is?

Good Morning and TGIF faces & heels, the always beautiful Northeast sends out its greetings. While I don’t think that saying “Don’t be stupid” or “Grow up” is any real way to address the Original Poster’s concerns, I’m not completely sold on this particular conspiracy, either…

Otunga is a rapidly progressing student of the wrestling craft and in my humble opinion is polishing the business end of his in ring career more and more each week. I’ve recently been relatively outspoken as pro-Otunga (ProTunga) and I’d argue the point that he’s “there because of his wife”.

Traditionally, the more reactionary heels tend to get more attention from fans but Otunga has proved to be the exception to the rule as he garners legit heat despite his calmer demeanor and suave nature. Rather than this being about race, they’re probably playing to the strengths of his acting personality; he’s coming off as naturally arrogant (right down to the bow tie) as opposed to the often exaggerated “cocky heel” we normally see.

Personally, I think his segments with JL have been nothing short of genius and it’d be hard to back a race conspiracy in a theatrical program like WWE without seeing individuals pay stubs. If you want free advice: be wary of injustices around you, but on a show where stereotypes are used as gimmicks you may consider keeping the pistols holstered until you see a blatant red flag. Until next time, friends and neighbors, drink responsibly, don’t take candy from strangers, make sure to clean your guns after using them and as always, best regards wrestling fans.

You found the secret message! “You think I’m [F’ing] around here?? Mark it zero!!” – Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Well, being half black I think I'm entitled to an opinion on this subject. Finger pointing at Mark Henry and Teddy Longs successes don't counter the OP's argument because most of this shit is a case by case basis. Not everyone is equal in talent and some people are in higher positions then others so just because there are exceptions doesn't mean there aren't any racist gimmicks out there (Jinder Mahal, all the Puerto Ricans wrestlers, etc). We have to look at every situation on a case by case basis.

I fail to see any racist gimmick for Otunga. It boggles my mind that you would even compare Virgil to Otunga. Otunga is playing a smart lawyer in the position of power. He is Johnny Ace's right hand man. How the fuck is that racist? If anything, you should be proud. He's not a thug or playing some coon to entertain white people (R-Truth). He is not playing some militant racist either. He is a lawyer in a respectable position. The thing you should be most proud of is the fact that he earned that title based on his real life achievements. As a black dude how many upper class respectable blacks in the media do you have to look up to?

Furthermore they are playing to his strengths. He is decent on the mic, is a good looking guy and has a Harvard law degree. He sucks as a wrestler yet his strengths are keeping him in an active role on tv. You know how many dudes would kill to say that? How do you think the "Funkasaurus" feels? Playing the race card in this situation doesn't just make you look bad, it makes me and every other ethnic male that might have legit complaints look like a joke. Seriously, before you post trash like this give a little thought about what your saying.

I agree with the majority of commenters here, that it is fairly absurd to suggest that Otunga's role is in any way racist. He's been given a prominent on screen role in a position of power as a highly intelligent and educated man able to manipulate the system. And perhaps more importantly, he's been given a position to be vastly more entertaining than he was previously. In reading the OP, I'd have to include that as long as ANY white person is considered to in some way out rank ANY black person, that it would be considered a racists position. Which is more than a little ridiculous. Otunga has a great role that is in no way stereotypical or bigoted and allows him to be a must watch part of the show. Let's not try to manufacture conflict where there is none.

It's a ridiculous notion that Otunga is in anyway stereotyped, other than he carries one of those damn annoying coffee mugs (which all lawyers do lol).

He's clearly being used not only in a position of power, but as a Machavellian heel who manipulates people around him. While I can see him going against Santino, I can also see him screwing over JL in this feud with Teddy. That's the polar opposite of being demeaned!

I think that this might have been an issue if Otunga were playing the role in 1993, and the following hadn't happened:

Booker T carries Smackdown!
The Rock has a show named after him
Teddy Long is a long established authority figure on RAW

Given that those things have happened, I'll give WWE the benefit of the doubt. Yes, Otunga is certainly playing a trope but there are worse things than representing the young, educated Otunga as the no.2 guy on RAW and a source of brains and muscle to the GM. As it's been said above, it's a natural character for him. Otunga's growing by leaps and bounds, and he's even started winning singles matches on TV. He's getting better and better on the mic and his ringwork is hedging on "passable." It's a good situation for him.

Ultimately, I wouldn't put anything past Vince - he gave us Saba Simba. Buuuut... I think Otunga's in a position where he's getting a good heel rub and can grow. Frankly, I'd like to see him become GM of Raw. Perhaps that sort of meteoric rise could mirror another African-American Chicagoan HLS grad who was an associate at Sidley....

No need to jump on the OP for asking a question in a polite and civilized manner...jumping on him shows alot of ignorance from those of you who did...anyway, as a black guy myself I never connected the dots...also astounded by the lack of stupidity some of you are belting out as if its fact...saying how Otunga is in the best spot he'll ever be in, you wanna look at facts...fact, Otunga is already a 2 time tag champion, yes in a dying division but he won it with Mr Perfects son and John Cena...fact, he is on television every single week sometimes twice a week..fact, he is most likely competing at WrestleMania alongside other former world champions...fact, he is an educated Harvard grad and husband of Hudson which means he brings in outside attention on some level...fact, he has been winning matches lately and has a great look to boot...fact, his wrestling skills ARE improving...fact, he is receiving Miz hate for coming in with no wrestling background and reality tv background...fact is, he aint goin nowhere

I personally couldn't stand Otunga until he took this role on. I believe it is perfect for him. We all know his in ring skills are lacking at this point. This is giving him an opportunity to get over with his personality.

To say that Otunga is playing "House Boy for the power white man in wrestling" is a little ridiculous. His role in no way resembles Virgil. I would compare him to Brisco and Patterson. He is playing the part of a corporate stooge to Big Johnny. It's funny because Big Johnny is the ultimate "yes man" and now he's got a "yes man" of his own in Otunga.

Clearly this role is the best thing to happen to him since being called up. He is featured in multiple segments on both Raw and Smackdown each week. Without this role he would probably be stuck on NXT Redemption waiting for his release. Guessing Otunga isn't complaining.

I see nothing racially motivated by Otunga's role whatsoever. They haven't placed Otunga in any sort of angles in which race has been brought up, he's never even mentioned his race in any sort of interview that I've seen and he's yet to be subjected to any of the classic negative stereotypes.

Otunga is an intelligent, successful, very well educated young man and these are all qualities that the WWE, if anything, have highlighted. Since Otunga first showed up on NXT through today, they've frequently mentioned and hyped his intelligence and the fact that he's a graduate of Harvard Law School. They portray him as someone that's close to Big Johnny and advises him on pretty much anything that's going on. I don't see any sort of "house boy" role there. Otunga isn't shown carrying JL's bags. He's not shown running out on orders to bring him coffee or a snack. He's not shown being told to pick up his dry cleaning or driving him around or holding doors open for him. If he was playing that role or if he was running around in jeans hanging halfway off his ass, talking street, have a grill over his teeth, generally behaving like a thug or whatever else all black guys are stereotyped to be, then there might be at least a slight shred of something to go on.

As is, this just comes off as looking for something to complain about when there's really nothing there. You look hard enough, you can find some sort of conspiracy in just about everything, especially if it's something you're hoping to find.

But right now David Otunga is living a streotype that has been in wrestling for years now. The "House Boy" for the power white man in wrestling.
Yeah, you're pretty much an idiot. If anything, David Otunga is Laurinaitis' right hand man; someone John goes to if he’s in any kind of trouble. David is a highly educated Harvard lawyer that stands by Johnny's side whenever and whatever show John Laurinaitis chooses to appear on. His dignity isn’t being besmirched by playing a racist role. In fact, this role is best suited for Otunga - so much so that he's become solidly over in the process. He's on every single Raw and makes periodic appearances on Smackdown. We don't see Otunga carrying Laurinaitis' bags or portraying the role of a servant. Comparing him to Virgil is stretching it; stretching it which ever way you want to make it seem like there’s a conspiracy. It seems you're looking so deep into this. So deep that you're forcing yourself to see something that isn't there.

I totally fail to see the conspiracy with how Otunga is being used. Nor do I find it racist or stereotypical in anyway. Comparing him to Virgil, or calling his gimmick a house boy is stretching by far. They simply incorporated his real life law degree from Harvard into his character. I see nothing wrong it and I'm sure he doesn't either. He get's a lot more TV time than many other wrestlers.

I wouldn't say Otunga is the stereotypical character. I do believe in some cases the roles African American wrestlers have been given have been quite limiting, and squandered the talent of performers. I think they have tried to do a little better recently, Long, Booker, Henry are some solid examples. Otunga's not the most offensive character I've seen. I find Brodus Clay to be far worse.

If you want to talk WWE adhering to stereotypes try coming from another country Scotland: The Highlanders, England: William Regal, Ireland: Sheamus, India: Mahal, Iran: Muhammad Hassan, France: Rene Dupree the list goes on and on and on.

Now for the record, I'm Scottish and the whole Highlanders thing, whereby Scots were depicted as savages who couldn't figure out how to turn on a light-switch didn't really bother me at all it's obviously a joke and should be treated as such. I think your being too sensitive, WWE is essentially an exxagerated soap-opera so stereotypes of any kind are always going to be there if you look hard enough, the key is to remember that they are not to be taken seriously and not out to offend.

In comparison to what I've listed certainly in recent times African-Americans can have no real legitimate complaint. You have Teddy Long Smackdown GM, Booker-T fromer world champion and commentator, Kofi Kingston and R-Truth two of the most over faces on the mid-card and finally you have Mark Henry who's had a fabulous year and has enjoyed a tremendous year as a dominant world champion.

As far as Otunga goes I am in complete agreement with the majority, if blacks being sophisticated Harvard-educated lawyears is indeed a stereotype then it's a pretty good one to have. Otunga is doing great in his current role, its enabling him to get over and he often actually comes across as the intelligent one keeping the bumbling JL right. It's simply a gimmick which suits Otunga doue to his real life background, which he is carrying off with apolmb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back