forums.wrestlezone.com says:

King Patrick Star

K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed
forums.wrestlezone.com says: said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ____ again.

Is there a way to change this, so that I don’t have to spread some around before giving it to the same person again?? I know it’s not that big of a deal, but there are some posts I’d like to give rep to that I can’t just because I just gave them some. Why the limit??

As much as I know, this was to limit repping your favorite too often. I do remember some people repping each other again and again just for nothing to get higher rep power. So, maybe that's the reason.

I don't think that it's gonna change anytime soon.

Is there a way to change this, so that I don’t have to spread some around before giving it to the same person again?? I know it’s not that big of a deal, but there are some posts I’d like to give rep to that I can’t just because I just gave them some. Why the limit??
There is a way to change this and my initial reaction to changing it was "absolutely not".

However, the more I thought about it, the more I believe I should continue to think about it. Let me (and KB, I guess... :)) deliberate on it for a little bit. If I don't get back to you/this thread, feel free to shoot me a PM in a week, as I'd probably have forgotten about it.
As much as I know, this was to limit repping your favorite too often. I do remember some people repping each other again and again just for nothing to get higher rep power. So, maybe that's the reason.

I don't think that it's gonna change anytime soon.
You don't remember that, or you are admitting to having an alternate account, as the current limit on reps has not changed since before I was made an administrator in 2009.

You don't remember that, or you are admitting to having an alternate account, as the current limit on reps has not changed since before I was made an administrator in 2009.
I actually posted in complete. I remember "reading" about that. So, I apologize.

Nowhere near an alternate account. I was nowhere near Internet in 2009. Heck, nowhere near computer or mobile.

I understand the reason behind it, but there are just some people on here that I feel like I owe rep to for their good posts. What exactly is rep power anyway?? What is it used (or in this case abused) for?? It's not that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice to remove the limit.

I understand the reason behind it, but there are just some people on here that I feel like I owe rep to for their good posts. What exactly is rep power anyway?? What is it used (or in this case abused) for?? It's not that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice to remove the limit.

Rep power is how many reputation posts your individual rep is worth, and the more rep/posts you have, the more rep power you have. I remember it used to be displayed right by your rep bar. I think the highest you could have was 50, and I think only admins and maybe XFear had that.

I think the way it worked as you would get 1 rep point for every 1000 rep points you received as well as every 750 posts you made. Because rep power was a visible stat, this led to people trying to farm rep power by doing rep for rep or by just posting their asses off even if they had nothing to contribute.

Rep power is hidden now. I don't know if the formula is the same, and if it is you can still calculate your own rep power, but you can't compare it to anyone else's because there's no way of knowing what anyone's rep points are without them posting it publicly (which people used to do anyway).

And that is my knowledge of the way the rep system works on WrestleZone Forums. I really wish I knew how to speak even 5 sentences in a foreign language instead, but I guess this is how my brain works.

KB and I talked and we agreed, given some of the changes on the forum over the years (namely the fact people have come to see reputation merely as a way to reward posts, not as a status symbol), that we should alter the limit.

Previously, you would have to spread rep around to 10 posters because you could rep someone again. It has now been lowered to five. Five allows people to reward quality posters when it is deserved, while also helping prevent spam repping by any individual member.

Good suggestion.

Would you not say that reputation is used both to reward posts an as a status symbol?

Say when Dagger gives it for been in the LD I assume it's a thank you for the web traffic but when I get rep off Envious it's because he likes my post.

I'll admit a draw to these forums for me was to get a full green rep bar. I'm more likely to read the posts by people with full rep. If someone has low rep but a sig I'll read it. I guess the visual kindness (full rep, dig etc? play a big part in who I read.

Would you not say that reputation is used both to reward posts an as a status symbol?
Not in the way it used to be. Posters would actively rep ****e so they could get the next little green bar. There were competitions to see who had the highest reputation and the most rep power.

For example, there was one poster (and I don't even remember who now) who was very e-upset about the fact that I changed the rep power of the Administrator to be greater than his rep power. You see, for regular posters, your rep power is dependent upon your reputation number, but Administrators have a set amount of rep power. And there was at least one (maybe more, I don't know) who didn't like when I changed the setting. But, as I've alluded to, I hated that rep was considered so important for rep's sake, rather than for simply recognizing a quality (or terrible) post so I worked to take the power out of having rep bars.

Long ago I worked to nerf a lot of the drama people had with rep bars. It's nothing like it used to be. And it's much better now.

Maybe I'll even rep people more often. I've given out seven total since August 1 2016, five of which were for one post. I offered Nightmare a sandwich, a beer, a side of his choice, dessert and a showing of Police Academy 4 for something.

Not in the way it used to be. Posters would actively rep ****e so they could get the next little green bar. There were competitions to see who had the highest reputation and the most rep power.

For example, there was one poster (and I don't even remember who now) who was very e-upset about the fact that I changed the rep power of the Administrator to be greater than his rep power. You see, for regular posters, your rep power is dependent upon your reputation number, but Administrators have a set amount of rep power. And there was at least one (maybe more, I don't know) who didn't like when I changed the setting. But, as I've alluded to, I hated that rep was considered so important for rep's sake, rather than for simply recognizing a quality (or terrible) post so I worked to take the power out of having rep bars.

Long ago I worked to nerf a lot of the drama people had with rep bars. It's nothing like it used to be. And it's much better now.

If I had to guess, probably TM. He was real big on rep.

Reddit really ruined forums didn't it.

I'm not so sure. I know there are posters on Wreddit from here, and I mostly know who they are on there. It's not as many as you'd think. Reddit isn't nearly as personal as a place like this, and it has a pretty serious tendency to turn into a hivemind. It's pretty toxic.

I'm on a few forums for different things, and the other ones are chugging along same as it they always have. This place has fallen off a bit for some reason, though.

I'm not so sure. I know there are posters on Wreddit from here, and I mostly know who they are on there. It's not as many as you'd think. Reddit isn't nearly as personal as a place like this, and it has a pretty serious tendency to turn into a hivemind. It's pretty toxic.

I'm on a few forums for different things, and the other ones are chugging along same as it they always have. This place has fallen off a bit for some reason, though.

The main page having Disqus and no longer promoting us had a major impact on it.

Envious was a big thread starter and he has be M.I.A. Kaps started a lot of threads but he's very quiet now. Couple of people have been banned in the last year or so like (I may be wrong here) joefromtomsriver and there was that guy who had a massive meltdown at Navi. Could be the same people. Coco leaving basically closed down the Bar Room. I would like to make more threads but I always post on my mobile and it's a lot of effort.

The main page having Disqus and no longer promoting us had a major impact on it.
It did, but also the Internet is not what it was 10 yeas ago. People can go to any number of places to discuss wrestling now, not just a web forum. You don't even have to leave your favorite social media platform to talk wrestling.

Furthermore, this forum software is a decade old. And it's not likely to get updated. There's no new features, there's no increased social aspects (which are the rage in the Internet world now). There's no ability to embed Tweets, video options are limited to whatever we can put in BBCode, etc.

In addition, don't underestimate the growth of the Internet itself. There are so many more things one can do on the Internet. For example, ten years ago Netflix had only just started online streaming video and that was only to the United States. It wouldn't be until 2010 (if my info is correct) that they expanded to an international market. Since 2009, YouTube's video uploads per day has increased 20 percent. Twitch didn't even exist (in its current form) until 2011. And those are just video services which have seen drastic increases in activity. There are so many more things to do on the Internet now that there weren't around in 2007.

Also, one needs to understand the changing nature of the wrestling business itself. Wrestling is increasingly moving to a model about which there is less focus on the casual fan and more focus on the dedicated fan. This follows the pattern of many media entities, where there is just SOOO much competition now for video audience (just think about how popular video sites like YouTube and Twitch have become) that pro wrestling is increasingly moving to the HBO model of service, where you depend on word of mouth to get new viewers and then you offer them something special to keep them. The WWE Network was a brilliant move by the WWE and shows they were ahead of the curve.

But what this means for forums is that there is simply a smaller pool of fans from which they can draw. As wrestling increasingly becomes esoteric, there's just going to be less people who seek out a way to discuss what they've seen. And then throw in our ancient software, the prevalence of social media, the increased opportunities for entertainment, the main page using Disqus and a host of other factors and it begins to come clear this was just the path these forums were likely to take.

Envious was a big thread starter and he has be M.I.A. Kaps started a lot of threads but he's very quiet now. Couple of people have been banned in the last year or so like (I may be wrong here) joefromtomsriver and there was that guy who had a massive meltdown at Navi. Could be the same people. Coco leaving basically closed down the Bar Room. I would like to make more threads but I always post on my mobile and it's a lot of effort.
All I can say about enviousdominous is that he's fine. He'll be back soon. I'll start again once I get past the numerous failures in my life. I still intend to review wrestling. I also post on my mobile. Never posted from a computer.

Edit: Posters like Butcher should return. :disappointed:

I like posting new threads. Sometimes I just get an idea stuck in my head and I have to write it out and discuss it. That's what this place is for me anyways.

I like the new adjustments on the rep process. I think it's a great idea and it'll work out wonderfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back