Flaw in the rep system.

Stone Cold Tea

Getting Noticed By Management
Anybody else agree the rep system is slightly flawed?

I see a good post I want to rep but I'm told I must spread some rep around. Why should I spread rep around to people who don't deserve it just to rep the real posters?

Anybody else agree the rep system is slightly flawed?

I see a good post I want to rep but I'm told I must spread some rep around. Why should I spread rep around to people who don't deserve it just to rep the real posters?

Why not just read more?

I agree. There are only a handful of you that I love giving green rep to, but it says I must spread it out first before I can give green rep to the same poster on a different post. Then if I give out 10 in a day, and then try to give 1 more, it says I gave out too much for the day.

To me that's not much of a flaw. A bigger one would be the ability to rep an individual over and over again, casting the illusion that their opinion is worth a damn.

I agree. There are only a handful of you that I love giving green rep to, but it says I must spread it out first before I can give green rep to the same poster on a different post. Then if I give out 10 in a day, and then try to give 1 more, it says I gave out too much for the day.

Be thankful. If there wasn't a limit on rep, I'd have buried you in red rep by now.

It's not a flaw. It's a minor annoyance when you want to rep a great post and can't because you haven't repped the required number of other users first, but that safeguard is in place for a good reason — it prevents artificial rep boosting.

I think the bigger flaw with rep is that most users tend to give rep for things they laugh at rather than give it for well written positions (especially ones they disagree with).

Be thankful. If there wasn't a limit on rep, I'd have buried you in red rep by now.

Ah yes, there is always one @$$hole in every forum. I can always expect a red rep from this jack@$$ for every 24 green reps I get. Why don't you take your red rep, shine it up real nice, turn your b!+c# @$$ sideways, and stick it straight up your red rep @$$.

It's not a flaw. It's a minor annoyance when you want to rep a great post and can't because you haven't repped the required number of other users first, but that safeguard is in place for a good reason — it prevents artificial rep boosting.
This.

Otherwise, you could, for example, build two accounts and just rep yourself.

Though its not that hard to spread rep, you can always find few posts that you like if you read few themes. But yes, happens to all of us. Often I want to rep someone like Mustang Sally more but need to spread rep first. :icon_mrgreen:

This.

Though its not that hard to spread rep, you can always find few posts that you like if you read few themes. But yes, happens to all of us. Often I want to rep someone like Mustang Sally more but need to spread rep first. :icon_mrgreen:

Which is also safeguarded against by requiring a minimum post count for a new users' rep to actually count. Users under that required count who do rep you actually send "neutral" rep, regardless of their intent.

Legit question; does rep even matter all that much?

I mean, plenty of morons have a full bar of rep. I'm sure Chrome has more rep than WZCW creative combined

This.

There's actually a bot that picks up whenever someone registers a new account using the same IP address as an already registered account, so that wouldn't really work.

Assuming that bot is still in place since I left the staff.

Legit question; does rep even matter all that much?

I mean, plenty of morons have a full bar of rep. I'm sure Chrome has more rep than WZCW creative combined

I'll legitimately find if this true or not tonight after work.

There's actually a bot that picks up whenever someone registers a new account using the same IP address as an already registered account, so that wouldn't really work.

Assuming that bot is still in place since I left the staff.

I can confirm that it is still there.

Which is also safeguarded against by requiring a minimum post count for a new users' rep to actually count. Users under that required count who do rep you actually send "neutral" rep, regardless of their intent.
Yes, thats why I said "build" account.

Change IP address by program? :shrug:

Still dunno why would someone go for that trouble just to get rep but its possible. Played one browser game where people had multiple accounts by "tricking" bot programs with IP change. But that was for the game where it could acctually mather if you have one more account to help you do some stuff, not for some Forum rep.

I think for regulars rep only really matters in terms of letting someone know "hey I like your post" especially in non-spam where if you can't add to the conversation but you want to acknowledge a good post.

I think newer posters are going to look at a rep bar and make assumptions based on the rep bar. I know I did when I first started. Call me a moron or whatever but if I saw someone with a bunch of red rep on their bar I figured they were a shitty poster. Thinking someone with a lot of green must be a pretty good poster.

After being around the site for a couple months I figured out how false that really is.

I know there's at least one poster on here though that we just rep each other and add a comment to the rep and really that's about the most communicating we do on here now. Those are usually on non-spam posts but every once in a while venture into spam posts.

Cheap plug - http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=285091

post-42493-simon-pegg-thumbs-up-gif-Imgur-HVlg.gif

Ah yes, there is always one @$$hole in every forum. I can always expect a red rep from this jack@$$ for every 24 green reps I get. Why don't you take your red rep, shine it up real nice, turn your b!+c# @$$ sideways, and stick it straight up your red rep @$$.

Jesus, you stink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back