First Round: Dallas - Samoa Joe vs. Giant Baba

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Samoa Joe

• Giant Baba

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Dallas Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

reunion_arena.jpg

Samoa Joe

15-samoa-joe.jpg

Vs.

Giant Baba

baba.gif

Voting is open for 4 days.

Wow so nobody's posted yet in this match? I think it should go to Giant Baba. Not only was he the founder of All Japan Pro Wrestling where Keiji Mutoh(Great Muta) is now president, he was a big, big, BIG star in Japan. Sorry Joe, Baba's going to win.

How is this match tied? Joe is a relative nobody in the wrestling business, who, for his sake, better not have hit his prime yet, while Baba is a FUCKING LEGEND! He's a multiple time legit world champion when it meant something, including beating some real legends at or near their peaks. Samoa Joe is not just a level below Baba, he's several. Vote Baba.

Personally, I'm not a fan of either of these men. However, Samoa Joe seems to have no problem doing the honors for well-regarded Japanese heavyweights (see his matches against Misawa and Kobashi). If Joe were to wrestle Baba in his prime, then there's no doubt in my mind that he would have lain down for him.

Baba is a legend and Joe is just a star from ROH and TNA. Joe would give Baba a battle, but I just can't see him going over the big man. Tough match for Joe, but Baba will take this battle. I wish I could make more of a case, but I haven't really seen Baba's work, just going by what I've heard about him and I'm sure he could take Joe.

Both men are excellent in-ring competitors and held world titles in big companies. Giant Baba, however, is a legend. He founded a company that became one of the biggest in Japan, to the point that people in North America know about it. He's wrestled excellent matches all over his country and has won the respect of everyone he's faced. Joe is great, no question about that, but he isn't a legend.

I think Joe's intensity would win this match. Honestly, I think that he overwhelms Baba here. I will admit, I don't know much about Baba, but, from what I have seen, I don't think he takes it to Joe. That's how you beat him. Waiting for Joe to make a mistake isn't a good idea because Joe rarely makes mistakes.

Just watched some Baba. I like him, but I think Joe probably goes over here if this is Kayfabe.

First problem is that Baba negates the muscle buster - however, the rear naked choke would be highly effective with someone of the build of Baba.

I just watched Sammartino Vs Baba, Sammartino was highly effective when both men were on the mat, and over powered Baba on a number of occasions. Joe is more powerful than Sammartino and possesses strikes capable of dropping a big guy, meaning this goes to the mat frequently, where I give the edge to Joe without a second thought.

I dunno, it's definitely close, but I'd say Joe goes over after an intense war. Legacy or not, I am looking at this purely within kayfabe.

I'm going with Baba in this match here. Baba is a tall and strong giant and he had very good ring skills not quick but he was able to give you a good match. Baba is also a freaking legend in the wrestling business. Joe will come close in this match, but at last Baba will get the win.

I'm not really a big fan of either one of these guys. However, I think Samoa Joe would overwhelm the Giant Baba. Joe can be pretty intense in some matches and he's got some real skills. Not to say that Baba doesn't, but I'm so sick of hearing "Well this guy is a legend so we should vote for him" nonsense. For me, Giant Baba is sort of like a Japanese version of Verne Gagne. What I mean by that is Baba, like Gagne, was a good wrestler with some significant championship runs prior to founding his own company. Once he did found his own company, however, Baba became this ultra dominant force and could give himself runs with championships or win major tournaments whenever he wished to do so. That's not to say that Baba wasn't a big draw or a big star, but his dominance in AJPW came from being the founder of the company. Sure, he also won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship on three occassions and held them a total of 19 days. Basically, the NWA Champion would be touring AJPW and Baba would ask the NWA Board of Directors to let him have a run with the title for a week or so before dropping it back to whomever he beat. Sure, it makes both guys look good when it's all said and done, but I just don't buy into Baba's greatness all that much.

Joe has repeatedly failed to prove himself as anything other than a guy from the indies who has decent matches. Every time TNA try and put him in the main event, which is a lot of times in the past few years, he completely falters. Baba is a huge name in Japan, and more to the point, has been a heavyweight World Champion of US companies more times than Joe in a time when reigns were fewer and further between, and when he was also wrestling in Japan. Baba wins.

Joe has repeatedly failed to prove himself as anything other than a guy from the indies who has decent matches. Every time TNA try and put him in the main event, which is a lot of times in the past few years, he completely falters. Baba is a huge name in Japan, and more to the point, has been a heavyweight World Champion of US companies more times than Joe in a time when reigns were fewer and further between, and when he was also wrestling in Japan. Baba wins.

I completely agree, but I felt I needed to add to the fact that sadly Baba h as only held the world title in very brief moments, at least the NWA championship, which he sadly only held for a combined 19 days over 3 reigns, but I still think he's superior to Joe, because while certainly he's able to put on some decent matches, his ability to main event and gain a decent popularity falters, as opposed to the amount of popularity baba had.

As Wikipedia so nicely said it themself "one of the most famous Japanese wrestlers alongside Inoki in his era, with the popularity in Japan equal to Hulk Hogan in USA." and to top it off, a co-founder of All Japan Pro Wrestling.

It's quite obvious who should, and who's gonna go over in this match, and both answers is Giant Baba.

How is this match tied?

It ain't, Joe's winning.

Joe is a relative nobody in the wrestling business

Several of the best American matches in the last decade makes someone a nobody? Not quite.

who, for his sake, better not have hit his prime yet,

He's hit his prime. Prime rib that is.

while Baba is a FUCKING LEGEND!

Ya! Cause he's foreingn and won a bunch of titles he's the coolest!

He's a multiple time legit world champion when it meant something

Rabble, rabble, rabble. This has literally been said in every match with a foreign/old school wreslter in it. I'm not impressed.

including beating some real legends at or near their peaks.

Welche legends?

Samoa Joe is not just a level below Baba, he's several.

Baba's not that tall, is he?

I have to go with Joe here. Firstly, he actual holds some significance for me. He's one of the rare not sucky parts of TNA and has had some kickass matches with AJ, Daniels, Punk, Angle, etc. despite his fatness. I could care less about Baba. Easy vote for me.

I don't claim to have seen a whole lot of Joe's work. But that could be for the reason that what I have seen of him hasn't been very impressive. I remember watching him v. Steiner on an Impact in fall of 08. It was deplorable. I just haven't been able to take interest in him at all. And he has that face thing. I can't respect a man with that going on.

Baba has a sweet name. Baba FTW.

Kayfabe: In the imaginary world of wrestling, Baba destroys Joe, no questions asked. Joe would have no problem putting on the show for Baba's benefit.

Performance: In the real world of wrestling (ha!) Joe is the better trained fighter. And he is capable of handling someone of Baba's size and experience.

Personal: Samoa Joe is one of the draws of TNA (though creative can't grasp this properly), and one of the only reasons I started watching TNA and continue to today. I mean it as no knock to Baba's status as a star of wrestling, but I've been more entertained by Joe than Baba, and that's what I'm gonna have to vote by in this otherwise close match. Also, I call it even for voting Inoki over Punk.

Samoa Joe for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back