First Round: Boston - Kevin Nash vs. Bobo Brazil

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Kevin Nash

• Bobo Brazil

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Boston Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

800px-TD_Banknorth_Garden_rainy.JPG

Kevin Nash

nash.jpg

Vs.

Bobo Brazil

brazil_bobo.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

I'm no Bobo Brazil expert, but I do know that Kevin Nash has accomplished a lot more in the world of professional wrestling than he did. Nash is a larger, more notable contender in this contest and has carried multiple championships from multiple promotions. That pretty much pisses on Bobo Brazil, in my eyes.

Nash for the win.

Nash is big and he has accomplished a lot in the wrestling business, He was in a big stable known all over the world. He had awesome feuds with almost every one in the wrestling business. I can't say nothing about Bobo Brazil, Because I don't know a lot about him. So Nash goes for the Jackknife powerbomb on Bobo and he gets the 1,2,3. Winner:"Big Sexy" Kevin Nash

Definitely Nash. Probably for the reason that Brazil isnt a big name. Yeah, he's in the Hall of Fame and what-not, but if you were to say, "Bobo Brazil" people would look at you like you were crazy. If you were to say, "Kevin Nash", people would say that they have heard of him. I also like the fact that Nash has done more for the business. Multiple time World Champ, willing to put guys over. Plus he's in his 50's and still wrestling. He's pretty much devoted his life to wrestling.

Nash FTW here

Bobo Brazil

Championship Wrestling from Florida
NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Sweet Brown Sugar (1) and Dusty Rhodes (1)

Japan Wrestling Association
NWA International Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Mid-Atlantic version)

NWA San Francisco
NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (San Francisco version) (1 time)

World Wrestling Association (Indianapolis)
WWA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Chris Carter

World Wrestling Association (Los Angeles)
WWA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

World Wide Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Federation
WWWF United States Championship (4 times)
WWF Hall of Fame (Class of 1994)

Kayfabe: Bobo Brazil was one of the first successful African-American professional wrestlers. He was big draw for his time, and was even a one time NWA World Heavyweight Champion (though this was disputed due to politics of the day, and Buddy Rogers' camp never recognized the change). Kevin Nash is a cool cat who's had a remarkably long career for one who never seem to give a shit. He was the epicenter of the 90's wrestling boom, but has failed to be much of a draw since then.

Performance: Bobo was a big dominating man, much like Nash. He stands a bit shorter but is about as heavy. Their styles are remarkably similar; big and slow and powerful, never sell anything. I've not heard of Bobo blowing a knee stepping out of the ring though.

Personal: Fuck Nash. I just can't vote for the guy, so I'll instead educate myself about Bobo and vote for him instead. Nash is all that is wrong with much of the industry, someone who quite possibly is mark for themselves. His fingerprints are on the gun that killed WCW. He currently stinking up TNA and wasting time actual talent could be using to develop themselves. This is biased, pure and simple, but that's within the rules of the tournament.

Nash for the loss. Probably by count out.

To simply dismiss Bobo Brazil because you've never heard of shows more about you then anyone else. Bobo Brazil broke down racial barriers like no other in professional wrestling. He was able to defeat Buddy Rogers for the NWA World championship in the early 1960's, 3 decades before Ron Simmons would win the WCW title, and still no African American has won the WWE world title. Brazil was able to accomplish this in that time frame, it's monumental.

Kevin Nash had one lackluster title reign in quite possibly the worst year in the WWF's recent history, and a handful of meaningless one day title reigns in WCW. Nash is only over based on his associations, not because of his ability

Nash is obviously going over in this one.

From a Kayfabe view you can't ignore the fact that Kevin is huge, he's dominant and he has a mean jack knife, and even though I must admit I don't know anything about Bobo except for his long list of accomplishments and his hall of fame inductions, but I really don't see him falling victim to Kevin.

Also from a non kayfabe view, Kevin is actually pretty okay at putting on matches, has been a part of a great tag team with Scott, and a part of one of the biggest factions in wrestling history, NWO, that leaves a mark on you, not in the bad way, but it sure as hell is gonna put him over in many thinkable ways.

So Kevin it is.

Bobo Brazil is a legend in the business and made it possible for African Americans to achieve a wrestling career. He could be the Jackie Robinson of the wrestling world. Now I'm sure he wasn't the first to enter the wrestling business, but I believe he was the first influential one. We all know Nash's credentials and I for one have always found Big Kev to be a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his work and all, but I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be. Most likely Nash will win this, but I'm going to give my vote to Bobo.

Kevin Nash is big, nasty and rugged. In all honesty I think he would run through Bobo Brazil in a very quick squash match. There is nothing Brazil can do to offset the power of Big Sexy and that would be the determining factor. Because Brazil wouldn't be able to cut Nash down he would not be able to pin him. The winner is Kevin Nash.

EDIT: In light of some revelation I retract my statement that Kevin Nash would squash Bobo Brazil. My mind read this match as Kevin Nash vs. Koko B. Ware for some reason. My apologies for that and I am manning up to not thinking clearly. However, Kevin Nash is still my choice to win.

Kevin Nash is big, nasty and rugged. In all honesty I think he would run through Bobo Brazil in a very quick squash match. There is nothing Brazil can do to offset the power of Big Sexy and that would be the determining factor. Because Brazil wouldn't be able to cut Nash down he would not be able to pin him. The winner is Kevin Nash.

Really? You're going to make it that obvious that you have no clue about who Bobo Brazil is and what he did in his career? No way does Nash squash a legend that has beaten the like of Buddy Rogers, The Sheik, Killer kowalski, Dick the Bruiser, and Giant Baba. No way does Nash run through a guy that fought Andre the fucking Giant to a draw.

I'm a Kevin Nash fan but Bobo Brazil is a legit legend. He was no small man either at 6'6" 270. He was the first really successful black wrestler and was more then powerful enough to take on Nash. Your entire post is one giant joke.

Bobo Brazil is a legit legend. Ron Simmons, Tony Atlas, Rocky Johnson, Booker T, hell even The Rock may never have become champions if it wasn't for Bobo. He left a lasting impact on the history of wrestling. And so did Nash but his lasting impression was the fingerpoke of doom. You should vote for the legend not for Nash:

Vote Bobo

He was the first black. Wp. In this tournament, everyone is in their prime - he is as much the first black wrestler as Kofi Kingston is within the contexts of the tournament.

FFS stop voting on sentiment and what they did for the business. They did not pave the way for future stars, every star is here right now, DUCY?

SO yeah. I vote Nash. If I wasn't reading so many ridiculous "paving the way" "breakthrough" arguments I could be swung, but my vote is as much to slightly counter the nonsensical justifications than anything else.

And I like Bobo.

Kevin Nash is a huge guy, with a vicious Jacknife powerbomb and other moves at his disposal. He was one of the men who lead NWO too, and that group will be forever remembered by wrestling fans. I have seen the many accomplishments Bobo has, and yeah, it's impressive. But he isn't someone people out of the IWC are gonna remember, while at least some will know who Nash is. In the end, Big Sexy's ruthlessness will give him the win.

This actually turns out to be a much closer match than one would expect. I understand the thought behind people voting for Nash, but I think that Bobo's superiority as a mat wrestler over Nash would end up giving him the win. Nash would probably hammer him for a little while, but Bobo would probably attack Nash's bad knee and take him to the mat. Once on the mat, it's hard to powerbomb someone, and Brazil would rol him up for the pinfall.

I'm no Bobo Brazil expert, but I do know that Kevin Nash has accomplished a lot more in the world of professional wrestling than he did. Nash is a larger, more notable contender in this contest and has carried multiple championships from multiple promotions. That pretty much pisses on Bobo Brazil, in my eyes.

Nash for the win.

I find it hilarious how someone like you who in another thread is defending a guy like Rick Martel as a legend who shouldn't be losing, is so quick to just dismiss Bobo Brazil and say Nash accomplished more. I call bullshit. There are some logical reasons to vote for Nash but saying he accomplished more isn't one of them.

Bobo Brazil was the first true African American champion and he paved the way for every black superstar in the wrestling business. The man beat Buddy Rogers for the NWA title in 1962 before the civil rights act was even passed. He defeated countless legends and won a plethora of titles in numerous organizations. I like Nash but he is out matched here.

It's a shame that people are voting popularity over impact in the wresting business. I am a Nash fan but out of respect for Bobo I am gonna vote for Bobo because of the racial impact he brought to the sport of professional wrestling. Sure Nash was a big part of why wrestling became so popular in the late 90's but as someone said earlier, if Bobo wasn't around wrestlers like Rock, Ron Simmons, even Booker T wouldn't be champions.

Sure Nash was a big part of why wrestling became so popular in the late 90's but as someone said earlier, if Bobo wasn't around wrestlers like Rock, Ron Simmons, even Booker T wouldn't be champions.

That was me. This is Bobo's track record. For the time he competed it's very impressive:

Championships and accomplishments

* Championship Wrestling from Florida
o NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Sweet Brown Sugar (1) and Dusty Rhodes (1)

* Eastern Sports Association
o ESA North American Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

* Japan Wrestling Association
o NWA International Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

* Maple Leaf Wrestling
o NWA Canadian Open Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Whipper Billy Watson
o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Toronto version) (1 time)

* Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling
o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)

* Midwest Wrestling Association (Ohio)
o MWA Ohio Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
o MWA Ohio Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Frankie Talaber

* NWA Detroit
o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (Detroit version) (9 times)
o NWA World Tag Team Championship (Detroit version) (8 times) – with Art Thomas (1), Bill Miller (1), Athol Layton (1), The Stomper (1), Tony Marino (3) and Fred Curry (1)

* NWA Hollywood Wrestling
o NWA Americas Heavyweight Championship (3 times)

* NWA Los Angeles
o NWA "Beat the Champ" Television Championship (1 time)
o NWA International Television Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Wilbur Snyder (2), Sandor Szabo (1), and Primo Carnera (1)
o NWA Pacific Coast Heavyweight Championship (Los Angeles version) (1 time)

* NWA San Francisco
o NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (San Francisco version) (1 time)

* Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum
o Class of 2008

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Editor's Award (1998)

* Superstars of Wrestling
o SoW United States Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

* World Wrestling Association (Indianapolis)
o WWA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
o WWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Chris Carter

* World Wrestling Association (Los Angeles)
o WWA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)

* World Wide Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Federation
o WWWF United States Championship (4 times)
o WWF Hall of Fame (Class of 1994)

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
o Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)

Nash won world titles but so what. He was The Monster Version of Hogan in what many consider WWF's worst year in 95 and his WCW reigns were all crap.

It's not only the titles either. How many guys can say they fought Andre the Giant to a draw in his prime? How many guys can they say they beat the original Sheik in a Texas Death Match? The list of guys Bobo has beaten is ridiculous. Giant Baba, Sheik, Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Dick the Bruiser, Johnny Valentine, Ernie Ladd. Bobo would take Nash out.

In terms of importance, Bobo Brazil should edge this. He was a truly groundbreaking wrestler and managed to get over as a black man at a time when there was still racial segregation, and was originally only booked against other black wrestlers before forcing his way into the main event. He never won the championship officially, which is a real shame, because he deserved it because of his popularity and not for any tokenistic purposes.

Unfortunately, he is up against someone who is almost famous for keeping people from having their shot. Nash is a guy who made it much further than he should in wrestling, and Bobo is the opposite, but unfortuately, life isn't fair and Brazil would probably lose a match against Nash.

Bobo Brazil helped break down some racial barriers, but let's not go apeshit over this and blow it out of proportion. He many have beaten Buddy Rogers in a match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, but the win and the reign as champion to this day aren't recognized by the NWA as official. Since Kayfabe is supposed to be a big part of this tourney, that means Bobo was never NWA World Champion.

I think waaaaaaay too many posters are hung up on "legends". "This guy is a legend" or "that guy is a true legend" and so on and so forth. While it's definitely true in Bobo Brazil's case, being a legend and winning a boatload of regional NWA championships back during the height of the territory days doesn't trump all. I bet I've read at least 5 or 6 dozen posts today that begins with some variation of "This guy is a true legend". A fair amount of speculation has to be put in considering these are stars from different generations. Personally, I don't think Bobo Brazil would be able to stand up to two or three jackknife powerbombs from Kevin Nash. Kevin Nash, while I'm not really that much of a fan of him in the ring, had the size and strength necessary to get the job done against Bobo Brazil.

Kevin Nash, and its not even close. Pretty much see a lot of he was the first black man, so hes better... Jackie Robinson isn't better than Gehrig and 100 more examples.

Kevin Nash has a history of getting into the booker spot, and that is how he ended up getting the chance to beat Goldberg. I bet you, if I went over to KB's house right now, Nash is sitting drinking a coffee in KB's kitchen, because he is always backstage. Pretty much means he will book himself to go over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back