Second Round: Boston - Kevin Nash vs. Dusty Rhodes

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Kevin Nash

• Dusty Rhodes

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the Boston Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first match.

800px-TD_Banknorth_Garden_rainy.JPG

Kevin Nash

nash.jpg

Vs.

Dusty Rhodes

rhodes_dusty.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Neither guy is exactly an in-ring marvel, but Dusty was very tough and showed he could go with the best of the best. Dusty is a bigger draw then Nash could ever hope to be. Nash cuts a good promo, but Dusty is one of the top 5 promo guys in history. Nash is charismatic, but Dusty has been called the most charismatic man in wrestling history by some people. Kayfabe wise, Dusty overcomes a physical beating to secure the win.

Do the right thing. Vote for the Common Man. Vote for the American Dream. Vote Dusty Rhodes.

Going to have to go with Dusty on this one. Both men have won multiple world titles, but Rhodes defeated more tough competition. He's beaten Harley Race and Ric Flair for world titles, and this happened while both men were in their primes. Nash did end Goldberg's streak, but he had help from Scott Hall and a stun gun. He also is another guy The Undertaker's 18-0 list.

My vote goes to Rhodes in this one.

I'm going with big Dust on this one. Kayfabe wise, Nash is pretty rough w/the Dream, knocking him around, busting him open and using his superior height to control a good chunk of this match. The Dream is resilient and tougher than expected, not to mention being a good brawler in his own right, plus he has more big match experience than Nash. He manages to come back on Nash, attacking his knees and eventually getting him off his feet enroute to a another hardfought but clean victory. Dusty is just a bit better than Nash on the mic and in the ring, displaying surprising athleticism despite his weight and size. I find his record against big name opponents to be a bit better also,having gone over Race and Flair.

Vote Rhoades.

I went with Kevin Nash.

Dusty Rhodes was entertaining on the mic and could sell his ass off, but what more did he have to offer? His matches were shit, which really sucks because the promos and segments leading up the matches were awesome since Dusty could talk his ass off and sell a beating like no other. But, if the matches don't deliver, then none of that matters.

Kevin Nash, another great one of the mic, and while he couldn't carry someone to a great match, if he were in there with the right person, the guy could have great matches. His matches against Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1995 and Shawn Michaels at In Your House 7 for example are two of my all time favorite matches, and in my opinion, two of the greatest WWE Title matches of all time. Dusty never had anywhere near as good of match as either of those two matches I mentioned.

And kayfabe wise, I mean... Dusty would put up a fight, but at the end of the day, Nash is kicking his fat ass, plain and simple. Nobody can argue against that.

Logic says Nash deserves to advance here, so do the right thing and vote for him.

I voted Dusty for one simple reason, there is no possible way Nash could put away Rhodes, how the hell is he supposed to put him into the jack-knife? I see him putting up a good fight but dusty will wear him down.

This will probably reflect very poorly on me, but I can't remember seeing a single Dusty Rhodes match that I have actually enjoyed. If I had any inkling of enjoyment out of it, it was probably more due to his opponent than him. For all his charisma outside the ring, I just cannot get into his matches.

Sure, 1995 was one of the WWF's worst years, and Diesel was at the top of the company at that time for about a year. But you know what? I actually enjoyed his matches. Nash as a big man was very entertaining both in the WWF and WCW. JMT beat me to the punch, but his matches against Hart and Michaels were damn entertaining. At the end of the day, the true watermark in my eyes for a professional wrestler is their matches, and Diesel/Kevin Nash had some damn solid matches.

Lets go with that.

Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Nash are both multiple time world champions, but I don't think Rhodes ever really had a decent reign. Rhodes is probably more entertaining, though I do find Kevin Nash's promo style weirdly gripping, for reasons I can't quite explain. In the ring, Nash has impressed on occasion, but Dusty Rhodes just isn't very aesthetically pleasing, to be honest, either in terms of what he can do or in terms of how he looked. Both have beaten a litany of stars, but I think Nash's list probably edges it, so I'm going with him.

I voted Dusty for one simple reason, there is no possible way Nash could put away Rhodes, how the hell is he supposed to put him into the jack-knife? I see him putting up a good fight but dusty will wear him down.

thats a stupid reason to vote for rhodes for one simple reason. kevin nash was able to jacknife the giant. it may have been ugly but if he could pick up the giant for that what makes you think he couldnt to rhodes?

Kayfabe: A pretty fair fight I must admit. Kevin Nash has taken on some of the biggest guys of the modern era: Goldberg, Mysterio, Sting, Savage, Hogan, and HBK. But Dusty is no slouch, and in his time took on some of the baddest in the industry ever, like Arn Anderson, Ric Flair, Tully Blanchard, Terry Funk, and Harley Race. In a kayfabe fight, Dusty beats Nash because never got to the stage on his own; besides one streak in the WWE, his victories always came via interference from his allies. And Dusty has plenty of experience taking on a stable and coming out on top.

Performance: Both men are pretty popular in the out of ring stuff, and pretty capable of riling up a crowd with a mic and some time. Dusty draws lots of hate for being a big fat bastard in the ring, but Kevin Nash is no better as a performer, and in fact I find his ring work to be mostly uninspired. His work ethic is constantly questioned whenever he is in the spotlight, by fans and his employers alike.

Personal: Dusty coined the "Dusty Finish", but Nash trademarked how to book a company into the ground. If one guy can give Hulk Hogan's rep as a backstage diva and total mark for themselves a run for it's money, it's Kevin Nash. Fuck Kevin Nash.

Obviously, my vote is for The American Dream.

Neither of these guys was ever really all that great in the ring. Rhodes was deceptively athletic in some ways. Despite being 300 pounds and looking as though the most exercise he ever got was running to the table at dinner time, he had a surprisingly high amount of endurance. When you look at Dusty's accomplishments, it's extremely hard not to be impressed. I don't know if there's any other single wrestler that had more runs with various NWA titles than Dusty Rhodes.

Kevin Nash was certainly never that great in the ring. He's given some damn fine promos and has been in some damn fine matches when he's been in there with someone skilled enough to carry him. Some will say that Nash's WWF Championship reign came during the lowest period of the WWE, but he still held the title for approximately 51 weeks. I

In terms of size and strength, I've got to give it to Nash. When it comes to speed, stamina and overall physical toughness, I've got to go with Dusty Rhodes. Nash was always slower than hell and while Rhodes is certainly no track star, even he can outpace Nash. Nash has also never been in the ring for 60 minutes while Rhodes did it quite often. One drawback for Dusty is that he never really had a solid finisher. I doubt very much that an elbow drop is going to keep Nash down. And I have little doubt that Nash could get Dusty in the Jack Knife.

Personally, I think this would be a close one and I wouldn't be surprised if Nash completely underestimated Dusty. I could see Rhodes doing exactly what Bret Hart did to Nash to strip him of the WWF Championship. Nash beats on Dusty to the point of exhaustion, even to where Dusty is unable to make it to his feet for Nash to power bomb him, even though he tries. Dusty hops up, rolls him up into a small package and gets the win.

I think it'd be Nash here and quite easily as well. Surprised to see he's losing actually. Kayfabe wise, Nash would murder him. He was world champ at one time and huges the big size advantage. He'd win a kayfabe match rather easily. That in addition with him being great on the mic, and you got yourself a winner. Plus, Big Sexy may be one of the greatest nicknames of all time and the Big Sexy Tour was certainly successful.

Dusty Rhodes wins this matchup in just about every aspect you can look at.

Impact on the industry:

Dusty Rhodes: Dusty Rhodes was one of the biggest stars in the 1970's and 1980's era of pro wrestling. He put the Florida territory on the map. His character resonated with many fans and inspired countless wrestlers both on the mic and in the ring. He was also one of the main bookers for the NWA/WCW in the 1980's and early 1990's. He even has a particular finish for a match named after him. Now that is influential. When you have stuff named after you, you're important. He also gave the world Dustin and Cody Rhodes. He's the current main trainer for Florida Championship Wrestling, so no doubt he is having an impact on many of the future stars of wrestling. When you ask everyday people who aren't wrestling fans about wrestlers of the 1970's and 1980's, Dusty Rhodes is a name that comes up (at least in my personal experience). While he wasn't at the level of being a pop culture icon like Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and the Rock, he was up there in that era.

Kevin Nash: This is probably his strongest point because Kevin Nash did help change the nature of wrestling in the mid-to-late '90s. As part of the Clique, he helped change the WWF from going in a cartoonish style storyline-wise to the more edgy, realistic approach. He was one of the first guys who would sometimes make shoot comments in his promos. He did this a bunch in WCW especially, but even in WWE he would do this as Diesel. And his last run in the WWF before he left for WCW (late 95-early 96) is one of the earliest instances I can think of of a tweener character in the WWF. Before he flat out turned at Shawn Michaels right before Wrestlemania 12, he was on the border of being a bad guy and good guy. He wasn't really either at that point. I think Kevin Nash was pretty important on wrestling in the late '90s. But his impact on the industry as a whole isn't as big as Dusty Rhodes.

Workrate/In-ring performing:

Dusty Rhodes has this one as well. Has Kevin Nash ever wrestled a 60 minute match? No way. His longest match is maybe 20-25 minutes if that? How about Dusty Rhodes? He wrestled plenty of them against Ric Flair, Harley Race, etc. People think Rhodes was a horrible athlete because of how he looked. Not true at all. Ask Race and Flair and Terry Funk, they'll tell you Dusty could go in the ring. Appearances were definitely deceiving when it came to Dusty. Dusty was 10 times the athlete that Kevin Nash was. And if you compare great/classic matches, Kevin Nash has a handful (and I'll bet you 5 bucks that 95% of those matches were against either Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart). Dusty Rhodes on the other hand has many classic matches. Dusty was made NWA champion on three occassions for crying out loud. In that time, if you weren't a good wrestler, you weren't made champion.

Mic Skills:

Kevin Nash is actually quite entertaining on the mic. He's very good on the mic I would say. But it's always easy to be entertaining when you're inserting shoot comments into your promos. Anybody can be entertaining that way. Dusty didn't need to trash people for real to make good entertaining promos. Dusty was just a gifted talker. Up until the 1980's, he may have been the best talker in the history of the business. He was that good. Hell even with all of the great promo guys that emerged in the 1980's and beyond, there's still people that consider Dusty to be the best mic guy in history. Dusty was great.

Drawing ability:

This one isn't even close. Kevin Nash's one big run at the top of a company (the WWF) was one of the worst runs of a champion in that company's history. When he became champion in WCW, WCW went further down in the ratings and never recovered. Now I don't think Nash being champion was the reason WCW declined obviously not. But if Nash was a great draw, he could've maybe gotten some viewers back for WCW. He didn't. Nash was a poor drawing champion in both WCW and the WWF. Dusty Rhodes on the other hand sold out arenas, drew huge crowds, and was made world champion 3 times because of how popular and how good a draw he was. He pretty much made the Florida territory one of the most successful territories in the territory era (the Funks and Briscos and Eddie Graham also of course helped too). Wherever Dusty went he was popular and drew serious money and crowds. Dusty wins this argument easily.

Kayfabe Match:

I think Dusty Rhodes would win this one as well. Dusty beat legends like Harley Race, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, etc. Diesel was a big guy, but Dusty was very resiliant and could take shitloads of punishment and still win. Dusty could also easily outlast Nash. At the 25 minute mark when Nash is about ready to collapse, Dusty would fire up and easily take him. Nash was a big, strong, intimidating wrestler. But Dusty wouldn't be intimidated. If he could withstand beatings from the Four Horsemen (five guys), then he could easily contend with Kevin Nash on his own. He's "the American Dream baby!" And he would win too.

Dusty Rhodes is the right choice here folks. No matter what aspect you choose to pick your winner on. Unless you're more of a Kevin Nash fan of course.

As dd23beatlesfan1 pointed out, Rhodes is an extremely accomplished veteran and legend in this business. He's beaten many of the greats, despite not being as graceful in the ring as we would have liked him to be or having an appealing cosmetic look.

Now, Kevin Nash isn't a pushover here. There was a time when he dominated pro-wrestling during the NewGen Era and during his time in the NWO Wolfpack. He's got the size, great charisma, and an amazing natural look for the pro-wrestling business.

I can't sit here and compare these guys based on their track records, since they made their marks in the business during two completely different eras. It would just be unfair. So, I'll base my decision on what would happen if these two actually squared off in a ring. That is why I'm voting for Kevin Nash.

During Rhodes's time in the early 80's, (as I recall) the only really big man he was able to face was Nikiti Koloff. And I remember him being on the losing end of most of those matches. Until their alliance happened in order to face the Four Horsemen, Rhodes just couldn't get the best of the big guy.

Now, Kevin Nash almost dwarfs Nikita Koloff and seems to have him beat in almost every category. At 7'1'' and well over 300lbs, Nash would be an extremely difficult opponent for Rhodes to defeat.

Therefore, I really have no choice but to vote for Kevin Nash. I just feel that he'd overpower Rhodes in a match and solidify himself as being a superior professional wrestler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back