Can we stop pretending Eva sucks now?

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
So I was watching NXT last night (because I'm one of few who watches the original feed) and on the show, Eva Marie displayed a very intriguing set of moves, and to be quite honest, has improved a lot since her days of being on Superstars just to promote Season 1 of Total Divas. But as I went back and watched other Eva Marie NXT matches I realized, Eva's a damn good heel and knows what she's doing. Her deliverance of being that snotty California barbie comes off natural, her moveset is actually very well rounded, and her microphone is very decent. The fact that she gets heat is another plus, considering she's a heel. And if I'm being honest, whenever she does beat Bayley for the title (it's coming, we all know this) I can honestly see her being able to keep up with Bayley to the point of them having a very technically sound women's wrestling match.

So, with all that, can we please just stop pretending Eva Marie sucks and actually give her credit?

I personally never had a problem with Eva Marie and there's no doubt she has really improved since joining the WWE.

A lot of the hate she gets is mostly from getting pushed on the main roster WAY before she was even ready for any in-ring activity. But the WWE had just started Total Divas and they wanted to take advantage of that in regards to Eva Marie. It's understandable. They had to get her out there and let people see her. The problem is it created a lot of backlash from fans to see someone get a strong push without any proper training just because she was on a "reality" television show. When she eventually first started working down in NXT, she was practically booed out of the building because of the way the company had utilized her. At least now, she has been able to translate that into heel heat.

But like I said, I have no problem with Eva Marie. She has improved in the ring, has a marketable look and has a strong character/personality that fits in the WWE. I've always thought that if she had the work ethic of a Trish Stratus, she could really be something to keep an eye on.

Improved at all? Sure. But I think it's putting the cart before the horse to say that she'll be able to put on a 'technically sound' match just yet. I also watched the match. She threw a couple slaps, a rest hold and spent the rest of the match getting beat up. In her defense, the selling wasn't that bad, but she still looks like a fish out of water whenever she's supposed to be in control. I also have to respectfully disagree that anything she does comes off as natural, nor would I consider her mic work to be anywhere near decent. She's just not a good actress, and she's got a long way to go in the ring. Slowly, very slowly improving, yes. As she is now, I don't mind her being around. If she IS the one who beats Bayley (or Asuka, even), she'll never recover from the backlash.

Her actual moveset isn't all too bad, but her reactions, the way she forgets to sell being hit (when her and Nia attacked Carmella, it took Bayley 3 swings before Eva decided to notice being hit)

She reminds me of a kid in an elementary school play, trying to play the part so hard, but displaying the wrong facial features or emotions constantly.

The only reason she even has a job, is because she's one of Total Diva's originals where they're following her career, if she wasnt on Total Divas, she would of been cut years ago.

So I was watching NXT last night (because I'm one of few who watches the original feed) and on the show, Eva Marie displayed a very intriguing set of moves, and to be quite honest, has improved a lot since her days of being on Superstars just to promote Season 1 of Total Divas. But as I went back and watched other Eva Marie NXT matches I realized, Eva's a damn good heel and knows what she's doing. Her deliverance of being that snotty California barbie comes off natural, her moveset is actually very well rounded, and her microphone is very decent. The fact that she gets heat is another plus, considering she's a heel. And if I'm being honest, whenever she does beat Bayley for the title (it's coming, we all know this) I can honestly see her being able to keep up with Bayley to the point of them having a very technically sound women's wrestling match.

So, with all that, can we please just stop pretending Eva Marie sucks and actually give her credit?

Whom? Oh the sexy Redhead.....Sure if you want to stop pretending she sucks then go for it. I personally like to pretend she does suck. :lmao:

But I agree, I mean she has the sexy look, and she is getting better far better than Lana. But hey blonde makes morons go crazy. Thank god for Amanda hotter, sexier and far better in everyway.

So I was watching NXT last night (because I'm one of few who watches the original feed)

Just you and about 500 thousand of your closest friends.

But yea anyways, Eva still needs to be led, and carried, when it comes to putting pen to paper, but her charisma and connection with the crowd is fantastic. If she truly commits over the next few years, and is in this for the long haul, she could become an all-time talent if she can be brought to a place were she is even a C+ when it comes to actual ring work.

There are female wrestlers hat I admire because of their ability, then there are ones I want to put myself inside. Eva is the latter. And I'm a big fan because of that.

They're making the right moves with her, she's improved, but she's nowhere near where she should be. She shouldn't really be on TV at this point, but good lord above does she have heat.

Eva looked slow on plodding in the ring next Asuka and Bayley. Some of the spots he's hitting are exciting, but she's missing the natural fundamentals and instincts. It's the place one would expect her to be learning to wrestle north of age 30.

But holy crap is she an attractive woman, and that will ultimately keep her being pushed. The entire concept of sending her to NXT was to transfer that midas touch onto her. I'm not sure it's working, but at least she's working as a heel. She's benefitted from the trainers in NXT. She might be passable wrestler in few more years, but I doubt WWE will let her stay in NXT that long.

She doesn't suck, she's just the least talented wrestler on the entire roster. But fear not Eva Marie fans, Lana is debuting soon.

Sure I will stop pretending that Eva sucks................when she stop pretending to be wrestling.
OK in all seriousness she has improved but that's not saying much. Anyone will/can improve when they go from having had ZERO wrestling background to training for a year or so.

As others have mention, there are other parts to wrestling besides a move-set. Eva seems to struggle with selling and when she is on the offensive she looks to be going in motions.
She does have great heat but its more "go away" heat than anything. She has potential but she is far from reaching it. She has to figure things out and put it ALL together,

With all that said, I do agree with the OP in that Eva will be one to finally put an end to Bayley's title reign. BUT I also see Eva as being one of the few stars that will come out of NXT as a multiple time champion (2-4) before finally being called up.

But yea anyways, Eva still needs to be led, and carried, when it comes to putting pen to paper, but her charisma and connection with the crowd is fantastic. If she truly commits over the next few years, and is in this for the long haul, she could become an all-time talent if she can be brought to a place were she is even a C+ when it comes to actual ring work.

Yeah she gets much more hate just for who she is than anything else.

That said, long haul doesn't apply much to her. Divas' clocks tick much faster than male wrestler's clocks, and she's already 31.

Of course she's improved since she first popped up in WWE, it'd be impossible for her to get any worse than she was. However, I don't put blame on her for that as it was Vince who adored her look and wanted her on the main roster for a short while, despite the fact she didn't know a side headlock from a handjob, as part of promoting Total Divas.

She's come a long way, but she still has a long way to go. I think one of the reasons why Eva Marie has gotten so much heat is because she's a reminder of how women's wrestling has been historically portrayed in WWE: a bunch of fitness models rolling around in wrestling matches that last maybe 90 seconds. I think some fans also see her as someone who doesn't really "love" wrestling and is ultimately hoping it'll lead to something bigger. In a few more years, she'll be in cougar territory as she's already 31 years of age and her in-ring ability is distinctly subpar when compared to Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, Naomi, Alicia Fox, Alexa Bliss and a few others.

The biggest thing she has going for her is her look, she has a lot of support from WWE officials who feel she has an incredible look, and by officials I'm guessing two of whom are Vince McMahon and his chief butt suck Kevin Dunn. If she continues to play it friendly with them, especially Kevin Dunn, then she'll probably have a job with WWE as long as she wants it; Dunn is the reason Rosa Mendes has been with WWE for so long and she's someone who's in-ring ability is at a level below Eva Marie's.

She's got the gimmick down pat. But that's really the only thing that seems to come naturally to Eva Marie, which is understandable. She hasn't seriously been training for THAT long, the fact that she's improved a lot even since debuting is a very good sign. Still, I don't think she's even close to "there" yet. You can tell she won't be able to effectively carry or control a match for a long time. You put her up against somebody like Naomi instead of Bayley and it would be a dumpster fire. She still lacks a certain something on the mic and again, doesn't really look like a natural on it in my opinion.

I wouldn't say she sucks, I'd say she's still very green. Only a few people seem to know the difference nowadays.

I always said that even without so much of wrestling ability she could use heat she has around her to be a vallet. Think its nice thing that she has gone to NXT to get some skills if she wants to wrestle. Dont think she could ever be Champion with current roster but with her heat she could be someone to elevate babyfaces. She gets a lot of hate that could be properly used.

What is the best way to describe Eva Marie in the ring? Terrible? Well, she's not great and she is improving. Also she's not injuring others, so maybe not. Green? Certainly, and I do think there's some blowback from fans who see her as trying to jump ahead of other more experienced talent whether she is or not (in addition to being connected to Total Divas, but that's another discussion entirely). But it is NXT and a lot of green wrestlers start there for a reason. Sooo what is the word I'm thinking...

Awkward. She's very awkward in the ring. Whether it's missing the timing of a move, the strange expressions on her face or how much she's clearly being carried in a given match to protect her she's just really awkward in the ring.

Now being awkward is fine if you're just starting. Lots of women wrestlers have gone on to be great without knowing much coming in. But it is hard to watch sometimes and if I'm being honest she's kind of flat on the mic. Her heat comes more from who she is than what she says. The audience perceives her as an outsider in a division with a huge depth of talent getting more time than she should.

I would say she's improving, but you're supposed to in NXT. That's rather the point. Hard to say how long it will be before she's really comfortable in the ring, but if it happens in front of the NXT audience she'll know it. There's certainly potential, but she's a long way from realizing it.

When were we pretending? Sure, her personality works, but shes still a hot ball of garbage in the ring. Luckily, everyone she faces can actually carry her through the match so she can look okay. Unluckily, she sells like a sack of potatoes and just hasnt seemed to grasp what the fuck shes doing in the ring. Her heat is excellent, her work is buttcheeks

When were we pretending? Sure, her personality works, but shes still a hot ball of garbage in the ring. Luckily, everyone she faces can actually carry her through the match so she can look okay. Unluckily, she sells like a sack of potatoes and just hasnt seemed to grasp what the fuck shes doing in the ring. Her heat is excellent, her work is buttcheeks
I disagree. I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Eva is in a prime position to have a run with NXT Women's Title whether you think she sucks or not. The fact you either thinks she suck or not plays right into her character. Nobody believes that she'll ever beat Bayley. But the time will comes when she does beat Bayley. And when that time comes I won't be surprised. Its almost like when The Honky Tonk Man beat Ricky Steamboat for the IC title. Out of all the wrestlers on the roster during that period of time, why was The Honky Tonk Man chosen to defeat Ricky Steamboat and keep the title as long as he did? For the same reasons Eva will win the NXT W Championship and then go back to the main roster and win the WWE Diva's Championship.

When were we pretending? Sure, her personality works, but shes still a hot ball of garbage in the ring. Luckily, everyone she faces can actually carry her through the match so she can look okay. Unluckily, she sells like a sack of potatoes and just hasnt seemed to grasp what the fuck shes doing in the ring.

We're talking about Eva Marie here, not Charlotte. And I really hate the argument that people are getting carried in matches, it's very tiresome. Of course she's going to be carried in matches, she's not the veteran. Veterans call the spots, that's common knowledge. That's how you groom future veterans. The fact that she's able to stay on task and not get lost in the shuffle is amazing. She's working at the same rate as someone who's actually wrestled for years as opposed to being crash course trained within 3 to 4 months.

Yupp she has improved but she is nowhere the likes of Paige, Sasha, Bayley, Becky, Charlotte or Natalya. Even Naomi and Alicia Fox are better than Marie.

I still believe that the heat she gets isn't a heel heat but it is much if go-away heat which is bad enough.

Her re-debut at main roster didn't impress me either. And Bayley losing the NxT Women Title to Eva Marie in any way would be terrible, atleast for me.

She is the female Roman Reigns of WWE with much less talent than him.

I will stop saying Eva Sucks when Pastor Maldonado gets a new drive & stops crashing all over the place.

The woman is hot as hell & I will says she's improved a little, but she still needs a lot of work, but as a heel she's getting Vickie Guerrero-esque heat which is working for her.

But, did she deserve a to be a part of the divas tag team match at WM? NOPE

With Lana & Rosa Mendes having less wrestling talent than Eva, at least she aint at the bottom of the talent pile, but she aint far off.

But with Brie retiring & Nikki on the shelf, there could be a spot for Eva if she works hard for it.

What does the future hold for Eva, who the hell knows?

Watched Eva Marie vs Asuka on NXT a few hours ago. Eva Marie is a beautiful woman, but that's all she has going for her. She has an amazing look, but she can't execute a simple arm lock and make it look believable. She's so lame in her execution it's sad to watch. There have been posters saying she's improved in the ring....I can't believe she's been worse than she was vs Asuka. That was just pathetic.

Eva Marie is currently the most hated person in the WWE universe. She inspires shrieks of outrage from people who know what good heel work really is, and it involves realistic looking suplexes and the ability to call a match in the ring.

So I'm a huge Eva Marie fan. She's awkward in the ring and that's starting to become one of her selling points. There is a loathing amongst some groups of people for women who they feel are succeeding only because of their looks; the Eva Marie character skewers that brilliantly, and turns it into profitable anger- all while people walk in and spend their money so that they can express that anger.

(Of course I don't mean YOU, reader. You're a smart professional wrestling fan who understands the difference between X-Pac heat and hate, and being a smart professional wrestling fan, you're only capable of feeling X-Pac heat. Please don't take any offense since I obviously didn't mean YOU.)

Eva Marie is currently the most hated person in the WWE universe. She inspires shrieks of outrage from people who know what good heel work really is, and it involves realistic looking suplexes and the ability to call a match in the ring.

So I'm a huge Eva Marie fan. She's awkward in the ring and that's starting to become one of her selling points. There is a loathing amongst some groups of people for women who they feel are succeeding only because of their looks; the Eva Marie character skewers that brilliantly, and turns it into profitable anger- all while people walk in and spend their money so that they can express that anger.

(Of course I don't mean YOU, reader. You're a smart professional wrestling fan who understands the difference between X-Pac heat and hate, and being a smart professional wrestling fan, you're only capable of feeling X-Pac heat. Please don't take any offense since I obviously didn't mean YOU.)
I agree with you. BUT, if the WWE continues to misuse her, her stock is going to continue to drop and fans will start to lose interest (in her character). For ex: creative at WWE/ NXT should have let Bayley drop the belt to Eva Marie setting up a program consisting of Eva and Bayley or any other female talent in NXT (I.E. Carmella) where Eva would have either lost by countout or DQ or a dirty win. A scenario like this would make it easy to set up a NO DQ match in Dallas (where Bayley would retain) and then having Bayley drop the belt to Asuka at NXT's equivalent to Summerslam. With Asuka winning now, and NXT not really giving the push to other females in NXT (other than Bayley), It puts the NXT fans in an awkward position because now they don't know whether to cheer or boo Asuka.

Her match with Asuka was booked horribly. Completely the wrong way to utilise her in my view. Eva Marie seemed to put up an equal if more of a fight against Asuka than Bayley which is absurd. It was just plain weird.

However her match against Bayley during her reign was amazing and it got such a reaction and I was on the edge of my seat, because it played so excellently to her "strengths".

So yeah she should definitely keep Eva Marie around, the heat she has is wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back