Calgary Region, Seattle Subregion: Second Round: (10)Arn Anderson vs. (7)Roddy Piper

Who Wins This Match

• Arn Anderson

• Roddy Piper

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a second round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Key Arena, Seattle, Washington

key-arena.jpg

#10 Arn Anderson

ArnAnderson.jpg

Vs.

#7 Roddy Piper

68828.gif

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

I will have to go with Rowdy Roddy in this one. He fights mean and he fights dirty. I believe in his prime he could have beaten any of the Four Horsemen, Anderson included.

This is easily the toughest match posted this afternoon. How can you go wrong?

People will point to how dirty of a fighter Piper was, but don't forget exactly what AA was. He would go just as far as Piper to advance in this type of tournament, and that's a fact.

Kayfabe-wise, I'm split. Neither mans hold a clear advantage. In my (not-so)humble opinion, Arn was better at everything besides talking, so I suppose that means I'm voting for Double A.

This is easily the toughest match posted this afternoon. How can you go wrong?

People will point to how dirty of a fighter Piper was, but don't forget exactly what AA was. He would go just as far as Piper to advance in this type of tournament, and that's a fact.

Kayfabe-wise, I'm split. Neither mans hold a clear advantage. In my (not-so)humble opinion, Arn was better at everything besides talking, so I suppose that means I'm voting for Double A.

Kayfabe is how I'll make my choice here (well that and the slight point that I'm backing the Rowdy Scot). Piper was a headliner, Double A was his equal all round EXCEPT in that regard. In any kayfabe match Anderson would be a stepping stone match for the higher profile Roddy. It would however go the distance, so I can see Arn falling asleep about the 19 minute mark.

Kayfabe is how I'll make my choice here (well that and the slight point that I'm backing the Rowdy Scot). Piper was a headliner, Double A was his equal all round EXCEPT in that regard. In any kayfabe match Anderson would be a stepping stone match for the higher profile Roddy. It would however go the distance, so I can see Arn falling asleep about the 19 minute mark.

:lmao:

Glad I got that out of the way.

Arn and Piper are as though as they come. This will be a good matchup and both men will do anything they can to win this match but I see some friends of Arn helping him out by distracting the referee and therefore will win the match with a spinebuster at the 15 minute mark.

Arn Anderson was never really a main eventer. He was always involved in the big picture in WCW, and was obviously booked to be very strong, but he was predominantly Ric Flair's right hand man, and only really got a title look in when Flair had moved to WWF. Even then, he didn't win it.

Piper was a main eventer in the territories, then WWF and even in WCW, despite being much older. He was Hogan's principle antagonist for years and even got wins against him when the nWo were dominating. Piper is the bigger star, and Anderson's primary role as somebody's first mate sets him up for a fall here, I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by FitFinlay4Life

:lmao:

Glad I got that out of the way.

Arn and Piper are as though as they come. This will be a good matchup and both men will do anything they can to win this match but I see some friends of Arn helping him out by distracting the referee and therefore will win the match with a spinebuster at the 15 minute mark.

Why so funny? It's faction 101, lower members of the group get defeated by the adversary who is the threat to the lead guys. Steve Austin, Rick Rude and Ric Flair are all still in this competition and potential future opponents of Piper. Arn, great as he was in the ring, was always regarded as a lower member in the Horsemen and the Dangerous Alliance. Please, tell me if the umpteen times I've seen this occur are not standard wrestling storytelling, then I may understand your mirth.

This is a tough one. In one corner its the powerhouse of double A and in the other its that crafty dirty player Roddy Piper. This one could truly go either way i think i'll leave my vote to see who sways me to there side.

For me, I'll always pick the lead guitar over rhythm. That's what Roddy Piper is compared to Arn Anderson; Hot Rod will be remembered for being one of the biggest thorns in Hulk Hogan's side, a great antagonist and someone who put on his fair share of great segments in professional wrestling. Arn Anderson played second fiddle to Ric Flair for the most memorable part of his career. That's not to say he wasn't great at what he did, and while the second violin is important, it's the lead violinist that is more impressive.

These are similar competitors, but Roddy Piper was smarter than Arn, and Roddy Piper has more experience than Arn. This match is closer than I'm making it seem here, but it goes to Piper in my book.

In a wrestling match... you're looking at a 5 star match, folks. Anderson and Piper would steal the show on nearly any card. And for anyone to say AA would be a stepping stone for Piper is stupid. REAL stupid. It's one thing to be a 'heel'... it's another to be a 'dangerous enforcer' like AA is.

Anderson broke limbs, necks, and enjoyed it. Piper would put a banana peel in the ring, watch the dude slip and laugh at them. Big difference in heel tactics folks. And lets not forget that Anderson would have any NUMBER of managers at ringside. We forget that don't we? We could go with JJ Dillion, or Paul E. Dangerously... but I'll take Bobby Heenan in his corner for 500, Alex.

Anderson would win this thanks to a Gordbuster at the 19 minute mark.

I like the loud mouth, bubble gum chewing, ass kicking Hot Rod for this one. Arn may be a legitimate "tough guy" and be the "Meaner" of the two, but regardless of that Hot Rod is still Rowdy enough, skilled enough, all around tough enough, and the real deciding factor for me like others, he is more entertaining. Looking at who's the more complete wrestler, they are almost even all the way down the line accept for the fact that Piper can keep you entertained in the ring, outside the ring, in an interview, at breakfast, lunch, dinner, your bar mitzvah, in a boat, with a goat, in the rain, on a train, in the dark, in a car, in a tree Piper is so good you see!

People putting AA over Roddy are being a bit delusional, IMO. The Scotsman is the bigger personality and the more popular entertainer, so from a booking perspective it makes far more sense to send Piper further in the tournament. Kayfabe-wise, AA was always a strong midcarder who could never break thru to the ME unless he was helping Flair. Piper was a Main Event wrestler at the first Wrestlemania, and was predominantly at or near the top of every card he was on.

This one goes to the Hot Rod. Tough draw for Arn, though. He could have gone deeper with a better match up here.

Tough go for Arn, and not because he couldn't easily win - because most current generation people only view him as a sidekick. Arn was only a sidekick at heart, the man is dangerous.

I'm voting for Anderson here because I'm about to contradict myself. While Anderson doesn't need anyone's help in winning - it's the fact that he was such a major part of the Horsemen, that they'd almost always find their way into this match. In the most recent Piper/Horsemen showdowns - Piper got the short end of the stick to outside interference and lost. I see no difference here, except for the fact that Anderson could easily do it on his own, but in knowing he has help - won't deny that, either.

A tough match, I would have leant towards Piper if it was not for the potential interferance from the Four Horsemen....

Piper fought dirty, Anderson was more powerful. They match up well as they both have advantages over the other. However, I do not believe Piper would have achieved as much as he had without his ability to cut such incredible promos. Take that away once you get into the ring, and Piper was on Anderson's level.

A very even match, but the arrival at ringside of Ric Flair and Tully Blanchard causes the distraction and a chairshot to the back of Piper while Tully has the ref distracted leaves the Rowdy one easy prey for the Double A Spinebuster.

Anderson steals one from Piper

Originally Posted by FitFinlay4Life

Why so funny? It's faction 101, lower members of the group get defeated by the adversary who is the threat to the lead guys. Steve Austin, Rick Rude and Ric Flair are all still in this competition and potential future opponents of Piper. Arn, great as he was in the ring, was always regarded as a lower member in the Horsemen and the Dangerous Alliance. Please, tell me if the umpteen times I've seen this occur are not standard wrestling storytelling, then I may understand your mirth.

Let's look back to 2003-2004 when you had Evolution. I'm sure you already know the members. I remember when HBK was a threat to the leader (HHH) and he was facing Orton and Flair would always help Orton win. Do you remember that? How about when Randy was kicked out and was a direct threat to HHH and the world title? He was facing Batista, a lower member of the group by your standards, and won due to interference from HHH himself. Now tell me, do you really think that Flair wouldn't interfere on Arn's behalf? Looks like you failed in Faction 101.

I'm pissed that Arn drew Piper in this round. And why? Because Piper edges him in almost every way.

If this were a kayfabe match measured on the crispness or level of in-ring skill (although Piper showed how great he can be at Wrestlemania 8 with Bret Hart,) Arn Anderson doesn't stand a chance.

Piper was always one of the biggest, original stars that the WWE produced. He traveled through the territory system and was handpicked by Ric Flair. Flair always knew that Piper had the personality to produce ticket sales and give an entertaining show, as well as play a character that would generate dollars for any promotion he was in. This was all proven at the original Wrestlemania. Vince McMahon decided to use Piper as the yang to Hulk Hogan's yin and Piper didn't disappoint. Although the age-old question of "who drew the fans to the original Wrestlemania" can never truly be answered (did the audience tune in to see Hogan win or Piper lose), Piper was still one of the main factors in the most successful, continuous wrestling event of all time.

Sorry Arn, but even your brilliance in the ring and as the enforcer of the Four Horsemen can't save you here. Piper wins this one.

Anderson's tough, really tough, he can beat down his opponents until they have a hole growing out of them. But if I know Roddy in kayfabe, he will outlast Arn in stamina alone.

Hear me out, Arn comes out of the bat early, but can tire himself out during mid-match, and that's when Roddy can make his move. Arn's stamina will deplete too fast and unless he can work up adrendaline mid-match, he's not gonna last long, and Roddy will have him sleeping in no time.

My Vote: The Hot Rod.

Hear me out, Arn comes out of the bat early, but can tire himself out during mid-match, and that's when Roddy can make his move. Arn's stamina will deplete too fast and unless he can work up adrendaline mid-match, he's not gonna last long, and Roddy will have him sleeping in no time.

Although I agree with your choice, I don't agree with your reasoning. You do realize that Anderson probably had more marathon matches than Piper, right? Arn wrestled in promotions and during time periods when 20-45 minute matches were par for the course. Piper had some lengthy matches in his day but he could never outlast Anderson's stamina.

Your choice is correct but your justification is WAY off.

Let's look back to 2003-2004 when you had Evolution. I'm sure you already know the members. I remember when HBK was a threat to the leader (HHH) and he was facing Orton and Flair would always help Orton win. Do you remember that? How about when Randy was kicked out and was a direct threat to HHH and the world title? He was facing Batista, a lower member of the group by your standards, and won due to interference from HHH himself. Now tell me, do you really think that Flair wouldn't interfere on Arn's behalf? Looks like you failed in Faction 101.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Flair is not in Seattle, he's in Denver facing Sid Vicious. I think Arn's the least of his worries at the moment!

Exceptions to rules are great but why don't you use some Horsemen or Dangerous Alliance ones? Where they harder to find?

And the example you do use - Evolution? Triple H, 13 time World Champ; Ric Flair, 16 time World Champ; Randy Orton, 7 times and Batista, 6 times - one of Evolutions main purposes was to present the two rookies as legitimate potential champions. In comparison Arn had 4 TV Title reigns and headlined no PPVs as the No1 contender, he was never presented in the same light as Trip's boys. Who's the next faction you're going to use? The Main Event Mafia?

Failed Faction 101? Have a wee look at the recent Nexus / Cena feud. Better still, do you remember a guy called Goldberg? In particular, how he won the WCW belt from Hogan (leader of the nWo) and what Hogan's failed plan was? Hollywood threw Scott Hall up against him as a precursor to the title shot and then faced Bill the same night, but the streak continued despite these roadblocks.

Another staple of these matches is a softening up tactic, so that the threat (in this case, Piper) is easier pickings later on. Usually the faction member flirts with the rules, if not downright smashing them, in order to do maximum damage and DQs often occur.

I've watched the odd match over the years and I was even conscious for some of them, I think I've most basic premises down pat, kid.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Flair is not in Seattle, he's in Denver facing Sid Vicious. I think Arn's the least of his worries at the moment!

Exceptions to rules are great but why don't you use some Horsemen or Dangerous Alliance ones? Where they harder to find?

And the example you do use - Evolution? Triple H, 13 time World Champ; Ric Flair, 16 time World Champ; Randy Orton, 7 times and Batista, 6 times - one of Evolutions main purposes was to present the two rookies as legitimate potential champions. In comparison Arn had 4 TV Title reigns and headlined no PPVs as the No1 contender, he was never presented in the same light as Trip's boys. Who's the next faction you're going to use? The Main Event Mafia?

Failed Faction 101? Have a wee look at the recent Nexus / Cena feud. Better still, do you remember a guy called Goldberg? In particular, how he won the WCW belt from Hogan (leader of the nWo) and what Hogan's failed plan was? Hollywood threw Scott Hall up against him as a precursor to the title shot and then faced Bill the same night, but the streak continued despite these roadblocks.

Another staple of these matches is a softening up tactic, so that the threat (in this case, Piper) is easier pickings later on. Usually the faction member flirts with the rules, if not downright smashing them, in order to do maximum damage and DQs often occur.

I've watched the odd match over the years and I was even conscious for some of them, I think I've most basic premises down pat, kid.

Were Randy Orton and Batista winning world titles over and over when they were in Evolution? I didn't think so.

Flair may not be at Arn's corner during the match but I'm damn sure a combination of either Ole, Tully, and Dillon will help Arn out, old man.

Were Randy Orton and Batista winning world titles over and over when they were in Evolution? I didn't think so.

Flair may not be at Arn's corner during the match but I'm damn sure a combination of either Ole, Tully, and Dillon will help Arn out, old man.

They both exited Evolution as World Champs and were always being presented as future top dogs. As you pointed out, they were getting wins performing the protection role. But again, this was never the case with Arn - he was always the guy to go after the tag belts or lower singles title, so didn't get main eventer rubs.

Piper's no dozer, if Arn is likely to have any horsemen in his corner - Mr Wonderful or Randy's dad are likely to be in his (from the match stips, I believe you are only allowed one 'manager' as accompaniment).

AA is one tough bastard. I get it, and I fully acknowledge it. Beyond that I was entertained by Piper more. Be it on the mic or in the ring. That's not to say Arn was lesser in either area, in fact he was awesome in both. But it's just personal preference on this one. Rocky road vs. Butter Pecan you might say. Plus, Piper is the guy who basically got me into wrestling in the first place so I have to follow my loyalties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back