Calgary Region, Seattle Subregion: Second Round: (2) Hulk Hogan vs. (15) Christian

Discussion in 'Calgary Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 2, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Hulk Hogan

2. Christian

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a second round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Key Arena, Seattle, Washington

[​IMG]

#2 Hulk Hogan

[​IMG]

Vs.

#15 Christian

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

2. Joe's Gonna Kill You

Joe's Gonna Kill You The Hunt is On

Hulk Hogan is One of the Greatest Professional Wrestlers of All Time and in his Prime he rarely lost and in a match against Christian he won't lose here either. Christian is an Upper Mid carder who everyone thinks has the potential to be a World Champion. Hogan is a 12 World Champion. This one goes to Hogan no question.

3. The Glamazon

The Glamazon Dark Match Jobber

Hogan by a mile. Christian is talented but he has yet to reach real main event status. Hogan WAS the main event for years.

4. Big Nick Dudley

I understand Christian is talented, he's done a lot in the WWE's tag division, and he's been the NWA World Heavyweight Champion (in TNA :rolleyes:). However, we're talking about Hulk Hogan.

I don't recall Hogan squashing many guys in the 80's (his prime), so I don't think this would be the massacre some will make it out to be. Christian would get his offense in for ten or so minutes, looking like a million bucks. Then we'd be treated to a massive Hulk-Up, Big Boot, and Leg Drop.

Christian comes out looking great, but Hogan wins. No doubt about it.

5. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd really love to be able to vote Christian over Hogan. From an in-ring perspective, Christian is head, shoulders, hips & ass above Hulk Hogan. But, Hogan is a MASSIVE name in wrestling and has been for the better part of 30 years. He's had feuds with most of the biggest names in wrestling of the same time period, became an international icon and the single biggest star wrestling has ever produced and happened to win 12 World Championships along the way.

Christian is great in my view, someone that could've been a main eventer I think as well. But Christian just simply cannot compete with Hulk Hogan's resume. It just simply cannot rationally be done.

6. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

That pic of Hulk in the neon thong should be banned. People will vomit if subjected to that image any further. If he fought this match in that mankini\straw hat- i think Captian Charisma wouldnt even step in the ring because of fear for being mauled in a very un-natural manner.

Regardless of horrible beach attire, Hogan wins this with ease. We all know Hogan is one of, if not THE, reason wrestling has become what it is today. Even all the peeps in the world know Hulkamania will win this.

Richard likes this.
  7. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I love Christian, and I do think that he's probably been unlucky to achieve so little, but there is no way in a million years that he is going to win here. Christian was one of the best in TNA in 2006. Hogan was the best ever. There's little argument to be made here, except that Hogan never really lost to anyone, let alone someone with nothing but midcard history.

8. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

Even in his highlighter yellow speedo Hulk Hogan beats Christian. Christian is a very enjoyable entertainer, but I don't think Christian has ever wowed fans the way the Hulkster did.

From a Kayfabe perspective, Hogan has beaten just about anyone and everyone, and if Christian was wrestling around the same time as Hogan, he'd be Hulk food.

All the peeps in the world couldn't save Christian now, they are wildly outnumbered by Hulkamaniacs.

9. Teddy Irving

Teddy Irving Pre-Show Stalwart

God I want to vote Christian so bad right now he is the far superior wrestler but the fact is he wouldn't be booked to go over hogan. Hogan is one of, if not the main reason the wrestling became what it is today. Christian would dominate this match until we get to witness Hogan hulk up hit that big old boot and that leg drop for the one two three.

All that being said i don't feel like seeing christian get completely squashed here and as such am giving him the vote :)

10. INDYjon22

INDYjon22 Nome is where your heart is

No way Christian goes over here, not even if the UnAmericans were present. Hogan is the original superman of wrestling. He just does not lose, he either Hulks up or Bischoff helps him get the job done. Christian can throw all the offense and underhanded tactics at him that he wants but Hogan will eventually Hulk up and hit the leg drop. Hogan wins.

11. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

If we were voting based on potential or what the IWC wanted to happen, then Christian would win this before it even started. Every smark wants to see a WHC title reign from Christian and wants to see him have a two year title reign.

That being said, it'll never happen. Hulk Hogan is the end all, be all for most of us on the forums. NO ONE was more dominant during his heyday than Hogan. Hogan went into Japan.. and beat my fave wrestler, Stan Hansen with his OWN FINISHER! That's a testament to Hogan. At his peak, he was not touchable. Period. We can say he held people down or whatever... but Hogan is the reason we have guys like Cena, Batista, Nash, and every other jacked up or big wrestler in the business.

Hogan wouldn't even need to Hulk up against Christian and the CLB gets a big boot and leg drop as soon as he enters the ring, and then Hogan poses for a half hour.

AXE BOOMBA!

12. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Ha. All that wasted effort from Christian fans to get him past The Miz, just for him to get squashed by Hogan now. I understand though.

There's no criteria you could use to justify putting over Christian here other than personal preference. Christian, while he is a terrific performer, is little more than a career mid carder. Hogan was basically a Juggernaut in his prime, and even rarely lost as he went on way past his prime.

Valiant effort, but Christian goes home here.

13. 8thwotwATG

8thwotwATG The Big Boss

Well, Mr. Reso is a sure hand in the ring, good on the mic, and about as entertaining as a pro wrestler can be, but....It's Hulk F'n Hogan. Really, there is no way that Christian can go over the Hulk in this one, it would never EVER be booked that way nor would Hogan allow an upper midcard performer to go over him. Typical Hogan matchup here, Hogan starts strong, Christian gets in some offense, Hogan sells enough to make him look credible, Christian hits his finisher, gets teh 1-2-...Hogan Kicks out, Christian throws some punches that Hogan no sells, throws three right hands, whip to the ropes, boot to the head, leg drop, 1-2-3, all over. Christian goes home, Hogan poses for ten minutes. Next victim please.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Occasional Pre-Show

No Brainer, Hulkamania runs wild all over the CLB. Sure, Christian is a better "wrestler" in terms of technical ability, but he's never been able to connect with the fans the way Hogan did, and he can't sell a story in the ring like Hogan did which IMHO makes Hogan the better all around wrestler. He didn't need to be technical, he just had to be there and it was a great match because of everything outside of the actual wrestling that he did. The size difference also has something to do with it. If you take Hogan from the late 80's to early 90's he was a monster that would easily snap Christian in half. Sorry captain charisma, Hulk Rules.

15. Hulkamaniac

Hulkamaniac Vote Hogan, Savage, Rocky and Thesz

This is the Hulkster's match. As much as I enjoy Christian, his biggest and best run was as a tag team wrestler. As a singles wrestler, he's been a midcarder. Kayfabe wise, this match would never even be in doubt even as Hogan was taking his normal beating. Non-kayfabe, it's a total squash. Hogan is the biggest draw, the better ring psychologist, he sells better, and he is vastly more important to wrestling history.

I eagerly anticipate OBW's standard defense of a fellow Canadian.

16. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

The only possible chance Christian would have is if this was nWo 'Hollywood' Hogan who rarely won clean, lost an unHogan amount of matches clean and was intentially disqualified on other cases. Any face Hogan mid eighties to mid noughties will beat any version of Captain Charisma - big boot, legdrop 123.

17. TheOneBigWill

TheOneBigWill [This Space for Rent]

I voted for Hulk Hogan because of the pure and simple understanding that there simply isn't a logical excuse not to, in this specific match. That's truly all I have as far as this match-up is concerned, so the following is a big rant on why Hulk Hogan is a failure to the sport of Professional Wrestling, with very little about Christian (but some) sprinkled in.. enjoy..

It's shit match-ups such as this one, in which people can't even attempt to draw up any type of excuse or understanding on why Christian could have any such chance here, because Hulk Hogan for the better part of 2-3 decades, was pushed as a mega monster baby face who never lost and in the very few times he did - it was with massive, massive cheating lining the entire event, or because he was heel. (with exception to one Mania VI match-up)

I understand that Hulk Hogan revolutionized the sport. I get that when people think Pro Wrestling, naturally one of the very first names to pop up - would be Hogan. Again, in tournaments such as these where it isn't sponsored by the WWF/E, WCW, or TNA - it's still almost unknown as to how anyone could put forth a valid argument that Hogan would ever lose - because the truth is, the guy was just never booked to lose. Again, unless he was cheated or a heel. And it isn't because he can't, trust me - he very well could; it's simply because he was never booked lower than the Main Event at any point in his main-stream career and as such, he was never made to look weak in any fashion - except, partly, as a heel.

And through the eyes of the fans, he'll never be viewed as a "heel" in this type of tournament, and in the rare case he could be - Christian would still never be considered even remotely near his level; even though he's cleanly defeated two strong opponents - who Hogan's had major problems with - in Kurt Angle and Sting.

Hulk Hogan is one of two individuals in the sport of Pro Wrestling that I feel should be banned from these types of Tournaments, purely because they ruin the enjoyment of whether or not they could ever lose - without some outrageous and (frankly) stupid argument on why they ever could. (He can't climb, really.. REALLY?!)

In closing.. Billy Kidman has a win against Hulk Hogan in a record book somewhere. F*ck you all, if he can do it - anyone can.

Big Nick Dudley likes this.
  18. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

Christian is the better wrestler. There, I said it.

However, this is Hulk Hogan...the man who built professional wrestling, the man who can hold a crowd in the palm of his hand like no other, and the man who can (after a Hulk-Up) beat anybody.

Hogan very rarely squashed anyone, he made it look like he was in trouble, before fighting back to take the win. So, I am expecting to see a decent amount of Christian offense, before the inevvitable fightback happens and Hogan pins Cage clean after the leg drop of justice.

By bye Christian. You deserved better... wait! Doesn't that sound like Cage's entire WWE career??

19. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

Like Will said f*ck you all!!!! I am voting for Christian. Why? Because firstly he is my personal preference. Secondly he is a much better in ring performer than Hulk Hogan who was pretty much horse shit in the ring. And thirdly Christian has defeated opponents whom the Hulkster has never defeated namely Hulk Hogan and the "Immortal" Sting.

And Hulk Hogan has lost to Billy Kidman who was always booked in an inferior manner as compared to Christian. So if he can do it anyone can.

20. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

Not even the mighty IWC and their collective marking out for Christian could give him a prayer in this matchup. Hogan's star power would chew him out, spit him out, and then use the scraps to floss his teeth.

In no way, shape, form, time period, or universe could Christian come even remotely close to defeating arguably the greatest pro-wrestling superstar to exist on this or any other planet. Sorry Christian... tell your peeps to pick you up at the airport because you're going home.

21. JXL

JXL Pre-Show Stalwart

Hogan's way more successful and more popular than Christian ever hopes to be. I like Christian I really do, but you're talking about the man that brought wrestling into an era of greatness. Christian can't compete with that. I'd go with the Hulkster bruther.

22. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

Fair enough.

Completely fictitious. How is Christian better than Hogan in the ring?

Hogan is a MUCH better seller of his opponent's offense, he has a MUCH better workrate, he was far more charismatic in the ring, and fans were ALWAYS more interested in his matches. He also had much more believable offense, and his matches contained an element of realism and believability Christian has never come close to matching.

In what world can you say Christian is better in the ring than Hulk Hogan?

23. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

I agree on the point of selling if you are talking about his selling upto his Hulk-Up. It was top notch.

On the issue of workrate this is what D-Man mentioned in one thread and I believe that I cannot express it better than him.

You want to talk about workrate Sly. This is what workrate is all about especially the bolded part.

As far as charisma goes, yes it is important in the ring but it is far more important outside the ring. And that is where Hogan did most of his work, outside the ring. Tell me after all those awesome segments between Andre and Hogan who wouldn't be interested in watching the match. From a technical point of view, the match was shit. It is Hogan's and Andre's starpower that made the match, not their in ring ability.

As for his matches and offense being believable humor me this. Hogan is a pretty huge guy so why should he resort to only punching and kicking when he could easily throw the guy around the ring? That is what psychology is about, isn't it? Wrestling in a manner that makes sense. Hogan's size indicates that he should have been a power guy but yet he brawled in a slow and insipid manner. Why is that so?

As for his matches what part of being beaten down for 15 minutes and even being hit by your opponent's finisher on some occasions and then hulking up as if nothing had happened just because the crowd is cheering for you believable?I am not saying that it did not work but you certainly cannot say that it was believable.

Let's go to the storytelling part shall we? He only told one story in the ring. That being of a hero in trouble and then conquering insurmountable odds and coming out on top. Now that story gets less and less believable if we continue seeing it for a long time. If you have seen one Hogan match you have seen them all.

Yep Hogan was pretty bad in the ring.

Mr. Artistic guy likes this.
  24. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

Why up to his Hulk-Up? The only reason the Hulk-Up even works is because of how well he sold his opponents offense. If Hogan couldn't sell being beaten down, people wouldn't care if he came back.

Despite what some fans may think, the Hulk-Up is wrestling at its finest. And it only works if the performer doing is good enough to make fans care about it.

First of all, that has NOTHING to do with workrate, and second of all, that's just simply untrue.

Workrate is the rate at which you "work" the audience into believing the reality of the match. As I've pointed out, Hogan was fantastic at it.

No, no it's not. Not even close

Charisma is your ability to connect with your audience. If you cut entertaining promos, but your matches are met with yawns from the audience, you cannot be successful. Charisma in the ring is FAR more important than charisma outside of it. That's why Hulk Hogan is still the greatest wrestler ever, and The Rock isn't.

Actually, if you understand what you are watching, the match is quite solid. It's not ever going to be remember for anything other than Hogan vs. Andre and the bodyslam, but it was a solid main-event match.

Because he's not an amateur wrestler who does suplexes, he's a John Wayne-style American brawler. Did you ever see the American icon John Wayne picking people up and doing 15 different vertical suplexes and powerbombs? No, what you saw was him using his fists to take down the bad guys.

That's the kind of hero Americans have always loved. That's what Hulk Hogan was. It was VERY believable and fit his character perfectly.

Which Hogan did, so that would mean he has great psychology.

Oh, absolutely it can. That's just silly. If you want a real life example, look at the UFC fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen. Sonnen battered Silva from the bell in the first round, the second round, the third round, the fourth round and the fifth round...until that moment with only a couple minutes left in the fight, Anderson Silva caught him with a finisher and choked him out.

Of course it's believable. Then again, that wasn't Hogan's routine his entire career either. That routine was only a mainstay of good guy Hogan (not Hollywood) for just a few years. His early WWF work didn't use it every match, his work in Japan didn't use it, his work as heel Hollywood Hogan didn't use it every match...it's what we remember, but it wasn't something he did every match over the course of 30 years.

That's completely fictitious. He told the story which needed to be told. Sometimes it was the hero conquering insurmountable odds, a story which is hardly unique to Hogan or pro wrestling. If I'm not mistaken, that's a very common theme in TV shows and movies as well.

But when the situation called for Hogan to pass the torch to Warrior, the story told was MUCH different and the match is still one of the greatest matches in history. His match with Rock and McMahon were different. The match Hogan had with Sting was different (not good, but different).

The stories Hogan told in the ring depended upon what was needed. He play the conquering hero very well, and Americans have always loved that story, so he told it many times, just like all of the faces in today's WWE do. But when the match called for something else, he gave it to them.

As I've pointed out, this is completely false.

No, he wasn't. He was quite good. Ask yourself this question...

You claim "if you have seen one Hogan match you have seen them all". While that's simply not true, let's say for argument's sake it is. What does it say about the ability of a wrestler to have the same match for the majority of his career, and STILL have people on the edge of their seats each time? What does it say when he outpops Rock and HBK in his late 40s? What does it say that when Hogan did his Hulk-Up, people went nuts nearly every time?

Even if we accept the argument every Hogan match was the same, what does it say about the quality of wrestler that Hogan was to make people care every time, even if they had already seen it many times before?

No matter how you slice it, Hogan in the ring was a tremendous worker. Far better than Christian in just about every way.

Hulkamaniac and Big Nick Dudley like this.
  25. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

This is simple. Hulk Hogan is a winner. He wins everywhere. He has been called bi-winning by all and by some, he's even been called tri-winning, meaning he wins in three places at once. Incredible. Basically, he was the greatest professional wrestler of all time and should probably win this tourney for once. You know, my man has dat #Tigerblood and all.

Christian, while I somewhat like him, is probably about as average as your going to get, as far as the wrestlers in this tourney. Sure, he's had some good matches and some decent promos, but one of the greatest ever? Nay, sir. I did like some of his ECW Title matches against Zach Ryder though. Good stuff.

Coco likes this.