C Round 1; 5 Super Mario World v 124 Black

?

• Super Mario World

• Black

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Super_mario_world_box.jpg

v

Black_Coverart.png

Black was a pretty fun game. Good graphics, weapons, and physics made it a nice little shooter for awhile. Unfortunately it's incredibly short and has no mutiplayer, a huge disadvantage for it. It was good, but not exactly a top FPS.

But it's going against Super Mario World, one of the most beloved games ever. Anyone who owned a Super Nintendo, had this game. I wasted quite a bit of time in my youth on this game, and just thinking about it right now makes me desperately wish I still had my SNES. Quite possibly the greatest Mario game ever made now that I think about it.

Plus, it brought us Yoshi. Yoshi is the shit. Who the hell doesn't want their own personal Yoshi?

Super Mario World wins and easy. Black was and is ok. Not great, just ok. However it is going up against one of the greatest games ever, and ok does not cut it. Every aspet of Mario is better than Black. Mario gets my vote.

No competition here, with all of the Mario games in this tournament, Super Mario World is one of the juggernauts. Like Xfear said, everybody who owned a SNES had this game, and just about everybody had a SNES back in the day(except for the hardcore Sega fans). This game also has a huge nostalgia factor and it still plays flawlessly to this day, it is a top contender to win the whole thing.

I have played BLACK before, my roommate has it for his PS2, it is a good solid shooter, but there are plenty of good shooters out there anyway, so it is nothing special.

Super Mario World is the only early Mario game I have never played, but I did watch a friend play it and it looked like your traditional kick ass Mario game (excluding the crap ones like Paper Mario and the ones with Wario Oh and Mario Kart 64). Black was average at best, I got more fun from watching my mate play Mario World than actually playing Black which says alot about it. My vote here goes to Mario

Anybody who dissed Black, I want you to pick up your copies of Call of Duty 4, Killzone 2 and other assorted future/near future shooters, wipe your arses with them and throw them out the window.

Black is the game that set the template for those games. For my money, it still has the most solid, satisfying gunplay in videogame history. When you played that game, you were an action hero. COD4 is like playing a toned down version of it. That game was absolutely sick.

Super Mario World was a very good platformer back in its day. Indeed, it would do well if it were ported onto the DS or made available over the Virtual Console. Unfortunately, it just doesn't measure up to modern videogames.

Reactions: Lee
Bit in a mixed mind, partly because of having not played Super Mario World. But simply put, Black was a brilliant game for breakthrough graphics, literally was the Burnout of FPS. It's great playing, but the main set back is that the only thing you can do after finishing the story is playing again but on a harder level. There were some elements I liked, partly the fact that all the terrorists would run and dive shouting "GRENADA!" when a grenade is throw, just a minor lil joy factor I love.

On the flipside, I don't hear many people going on about Super Mario World compared to Mario Bros 1 & 3 in games they loved from the old days, I would admit the appeal is great with Yoshi in hand, but are we getting the same treatment in Mario Galaxy 2 that's coming along? I think I'm leaving out voting because I'm not fully sure on Black and I have no backing to vote SMW due to not playing it,

Reactions: X
Super Mario World has pretty much got this match up in the bag, but I do want to cast a vote for Black. I've only played it a handful of times, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd put It on the same list as Counterstrike, Quake 3, Fear 2, and Resident Evil 4 as one of my favorite shooters. Yes, the game doesn't take long to beat.. but then again neither does Super Mario World

SMW won't be derailed anytime soon, so I won't feel guilty voting against for a game that I also enjoyed.

I am shocked and disgusted that people on these boards who are above the age of 15 have not played Super Mario World. It's like a video game version of required reading. It wasn't just classic mario - I'd put it ahead of any other Mario game, but tied with Mario 3.

One of the neatest things about SMW3 was after you "beat the game" by defeating Bowser and rescuing the princess - you weren't done with the game. You could go on and defeat the Star and Special levels. Add to THAT the addition of Yoshi as a new character and a new element of game play, and you had one of the best Mario games of all time.

What everyone forgets with SMW was how much of a visual improvement on SMB3 it was, SMB3 on the NES just looked dirty, but I'll save that for another round no doubt.

SMW was great, the last true mario bros game (ignore 'newSMB for the DS) and plus it brought Yoshi in. It was great fun and did have a bit of a challenege too.

Black, whilst a good game, just doesn't deserve my vote here. Tis a good game, just drew unlucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back