"Break-Through" Battle Royal- perfect concept to push new talent to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGalaxtic

Occasional Pre-Show
Which seemed to be just a random idea by creative, to welcome new and fresh contenders to the title picture. And as we all expected, was only probably gonna be another person for the champ to mow down. But now it seems creative has alittle more tricks up their sleeves than we'd think.

So now Sheamus, the first winner of a "break-through" battle royal lived up to his golden opportunity and is hopefully gonna run wide and wild with the world title.

Is this match setup something we can look forward to in the future? When its time to call up a new champion. Do you think this is a match up such as MITB? Where it's only held every year?

I gotta say I like the way things are folding out towards WM26, we could have one huge event full of surprises heading towards us.

hmm the concept of a breakthrough battle royal every year is interesting.. i think it would be a perfect for a "breaking point" original that happens every year at breaking point. The title seems to match it and would be a good idea.

I agree with ThePh3nomenal1. A Breakthrough Battle Royal would be PERFECT as a Breaking Point match, and I would love to see one every year. It's propelled Sheammus into the main event, and it's truly a great concept. It's almost like the King of the Ring: Midcarders get a chance to shine in the qualifiers, and the winner gets propelled into the title hunt.

I don't want it to replace MITB, as I enjoy watching it, but it's a great idea that I wouldn't midn seeing more often.

i also like the idea of it being held to push talent to the main event, but idk if ur saying it should be held every year at the same date, i dont like that idea as its a date that someone would expect now, i like how these battle royals are spontanious and are just put on the fans by the manager, so if you put it on one date then people will start making predictions and guess too early which isnt the point of a battle royal, i for one like that it surprises me at the beginning of a raw(or smackdown) episode and then throughout the show i start to contemplate with myself on who would win, so overall i like the idea but not on a specific date

When they announced the breakthrough battle royal the concept of the match is exactly waht the WWE needed. With this event being presidented now this opens the door for future competors to get a shot at their shows champion. I hope that somewhere down the road SmackDown & ECW follow suit cause it will be intresting to see who comes out on top for those shows.

I like this concept. The battle royal it self was fun to watch, and seeing Sheamus win was such a shock. This a great way to keep the title picture fresh, create new feuds, and build up young superstars. Look at what this has already done for Sheamus. He beat John Cena. The biggest face in the whole company. Even if he were to lose the title back to Cena tonight, he will always have that title win on his record, like Kane does when he beat Stone Cold a while back.

I would like to see this match more often, but not too much. If this is done too much, and the young guys lose the belt quickly, then it's going to take away from the prestige of the championship because you need HHH, HBK, Udertaker, Christian, and yes even Batista in the main event every now and then. Without them, ppv buys would be horrible.

Um.... No.

Look, the WWE already has so many abilities to push mid card wrestlers if they want to use it. Let's not forget the MITB, and if the WWE ever wanted to use it effectively again, the Royal Rumble. Then, after that, you have the KOTR which could be done just as easily, and I simply like the concept of a tournament more than I do a battle royal. I just really don't find battle royals all that exciting. The Royal Rumble has the added suspense of wondering who will be next out, but either than that, I just really don't like battle royals. They're predictable... Monster eliminates some guys, remaining guys team up to take out giant, tag team fights with one another, stare down tease, and usually one of the guys caught in said stare down wins the battle royal. The end, thanks for watching. Battle Royals just really drag on to me, and once they reach their main point of tedium, something deus ex machina related happens, and we have a winner.

Now, that isn't to say the idea is bad, per se, but I just don't like this any more than I do a MITB ladder match. WWE has a way to push people from the mid card into the main event. And the good thing about MITB is that the challenger typically has time to be built up. Part of the problem with Sheamus winning the title was that no one bought him as a legitimate contender for John Cena's title. Tell me one person on this forum who thought Sheamus was actually going to win. The beauty of MITB is it allows for a gradual push to the main event, followed by his overcoming of the champion. With this battle royal, you just have the guy there, and that's pretty much it. It's typically lazy booking, admitting we don't have a feud on store, so let's make one up through this.

MITB is fine as the mid card pusher. Let's keep it only at that.

I think this would take away from the effect Money in the Bank, and maybe even the Royal Rumble. I mean, we allready have an annual battle royal, so why do we need another? Seems a little redundant to me.

As well as, I don't like traditional matches, like Money in the Bank, Elimination Chamber, Battle Royal, etc...I would love to see the WWE start switching the concepts up more and more every year. This year we have Money in the Bank, next year we have Elimination Chamber, then the next we have something else. I mean, its like they expect us to simply forget about the previous year, by the time the next year rolls around. The Battle Royal has followed dang near the exact same story ever since I began watching wrestling. I would just like to see them mix things up a little bit more than they do, from year to year.

As well as, this whole Sheamus thing, is probably a one, maybe two time deal. It was a suprise effect, and if they continuously do this suprise effect, it will no longer become a suprise. Then the people will begin complaining how the WWE should make more of a foundation in the Main Event. (Which is very much so needed) This is a one time thing, and Sheamus is pretty much Sink-or-Swim right now.

The Break-Through Battle Royal seemed like a dreary was to do a 3-hour Raw, but after seeing its results, I think that this could work out. It is a great way to "Shake things up". I think that it should be merged with King of the Ring so it could be only non-world champs competing.

If we should have another Break-Through event in 2010, I think it could give people like The Miz or Dolph Ziggler a name other than being that guy who is hated by kids because he is a heel. If you have noticed, if you give a heel a World Title, kids will start to grow on the heel none the less. Look at Randy Orton or Edge. If Kozlov was to win the World Heavyweight Title, kids would start to cheer for him a little. Then if he loses the title and wins it again, it would be even more cheers.

It's all a part of a heel process. They are heel to start, Champ heel, Tweener Champ, Face Champ. If they reach the Face champ phase, they will be an instant legend.

Is this match setup something we can look forward to in the future? When its time to call up a new champion. Do you think this is a match up such as MITB? Where it's only held every year?

I think that having the "Breakthrough Battle Royal" once a year would be a good idea. They could have it on a PPV, preferably one of the "less important" ones so that it would boost the sales of that particular show, and allow around 20 or so superstars who have never won a world title to be in it. The only problem I'd see with this would be that an argument could be made that it would be like a lesser version of the Royal Rumble. It's still an interesting idea because it gives a title shot to someone who has never held a world title before and it would be great if this became a tradition done once a year because it could potentially turn someone's career around to win this.

The thing that appears to be forgotten here is that battle royals are completely shit. The Royal Rumble is something special, and something I think most people enjoy, but an 8 man battle royal featuring wrestlers nobody cares about doesn't deserve to be a scheduled annual event, particularly when there are plenty of other opportunities like MITB. I think it should be something they wheel out on Raw and Smackdown now and again when they start a new feud from scratch, much like beat the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back