Bound For Glory Series Ending This Thursday

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
According to Meltzer's site:

The entire thing is a mess because time is running out and of the 11 matches that would be necessary for each guy in a 12 man round-robin tournament, the guys have ranged from four to six matches completed with time running out.

So they are essentially dropping everything, doing the four matches this coming Thursday, and ending it from there with the top four point getters going to the 9/12 final four show.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/32854-new-twist-for-bound-for-glory-series

The current standings (number of matches in parentheses:

1. Magnus - 39 (7)
2. Bobby Roode - 34 (8)
3. Christopher Daniels - 30 (6)
4. Austin Aries - 28 (7)
5. Samoa Joe - 26 (9)
6. Jeff Hardy - 24 (7)
6. Mr. Anderson - 24 (9)
8. AJ Styles - 22 (8)
8. Kazarian - 22 (7)
10. Joseph Park - 17 (8)
11. Hernandez - 7 (7)
12. Jay Bradley - 0 (7)

So apparently the Series is out of time, given that the finals are scheduled for two weeks from this Thursday at the No Surrender special. Yes, amazingly enough you can't have 12 guys wrestle 11 matches each in the span of a month. Basically everyone is about 2/3 of the way through their matches but the totals are going to be all over the place due to the inconsistencies. But at least we got to promote Ortiz vs. Jackson for another company.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/32854-new-twist-for-bound-for-glory-series
The entire thing is a mess because time is running out and of the 11 matches that would be necessary for each guy in a 12 man round-robin tournament, the guys have ranged from four to six matches completed with time running out.

So they are essentially dropping everything, doing the four matches this coming Thursday, and ending it from there with the top four point getters going to the 9/12 final four show.

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...ory-Series-Thursday-9-8c-on-IMPACT-on-SpikeTV
In June, 12 men began a competition that has stretched across the entire summer in the hopes of living out their ultimate dream; becoming World Heavyweight Champion. This Thursday on Spike TV could be the most important night of their careers as the BFG Series becomes “Must Win Thursday”! This week’s Impact will feature the final one-on-one matches for the BFG Series at 9/8c on Spike TV

Based on the point totals as of today, here are the scenarios going into MUST WIN THURSDAY:

- Jay Bradley, Hernandez and Joseph Park are on the outside looking in based on their point totals.

- Frankie Kazarian faces Hernandez this Thursday and needs a victory. A pinfall win (7 points) puts him in the 4th place with 29 points. A submission victory (10 points) slides him up to 3rd place. To hold on to those places, he will need a little help in the matches featuring those in front of him.

- AJ Styles made a big splash last week in the Aces and 8s vs. Main Event Mafia match but this Thursday is a make or break moment in the BFG Series. He is currently tied with Frankie Kazarian and faces Bobby Roode on Impact. A pinfall (7 points) gets him to 29 points. A submission (10 points) gets him to 32 points and 3rd place. Like Kazarian, AJ’s fate also hangs in the balance of those in front of him in the series.

- Samoa Joe and Ken Anderson have completed their matches and now must wait to see how the field shakes out. They are currently on the outside looking in and must hope for someone to make a mistake in the series with a disqualification.

- Austin Aries is currently in 4th place. Last week, he was recruited by Bobby Roode, Frankie Kazarian and Daniels but turned them down wanting to go on it alone. His match with Christopher Daniels is truly a must win. At 28 points, a pinfall victory (7 points) puts him in second place. A submission victory (10 points) separates him from the pack even further.

- Christopher Daniels is the one standing in Austin Aries way. If he can defeat Austin Aries, he’s locked his positioning in the series.

- Bobby Roode has turned the series around with his alliance with Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels. Currently he sits in 2nd place for his match with AJ Styles this Thursday. A victory over AJ (Pinfall – 7 points Submission – 10 points) push him to first place and the power of choice at No Surrender.

- Magnus has been the dominant leader in the series, having gone coast to coast as the leader. If he can remain at in first place, he gets the all important choice of who he faces first at No Surrender in the final four.

All these odds and scenarios play out on Thursday; it truly a MUST WIN THURSDAY!

matches for this Thursday.
- AJ Styles vs. Bobby Roode
- Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels
- Hernandez vs. Kazarian

what a mess. TNA should have had the entire series already entirely panned out before it even started. something like this should have never been able to happen.

this may sound funny, but I love it. maybe now TNA can see the BFG series is stupid. I hate the BFG series. no feuds, no story lines. just random matches, and after each match those wrestlers are done with each other. how is that good for TV? this takes like 3 to 4 months, all summer. just stupid for TV.

BFG series should have died right along with monthly TNA PPV's. For one it completely kills the World title picture as almost everybody qualified for a shot is already in the thing making the only story being the X-Division stipulation which has already run its course in the second year.

Get rid of this for good and make things more spontaneous and not as predetermined. The Royal Rumble has some obvious predictability to it but it's only hyped for like six weeks not three or four months.Yes I know every company wants to have that match that guarantees a title shot at the biggest show and feels like a big deal winning it but the BFG series has never been that. It's just awful.

I wouldn't say it's awful. I'd say there are too many people. Instead of 12, cut it in half and have each guy wrestle five matches. Therefore instead of tying up months, you can do the whole thing in maybe six weeks. Also it keeps us from having to sit through stuff like Hernandez and Jay Bradley vs. everyone. In short, it's too much in its current form and this is a good example of why.

However, is this 'mess' factoring in the multi man matches? If the point of the series is for guys to face each other guy, don't the four ways all count,which would mean that they likely have accomplished the goal of each gi being in te ring with each othe guy. also, given tha the tape both weeks Thirsday, it can still be must win Thursday, in theory, and do two weeks of matches.

During the first two years some of the series matches took place at house shows which were recorded.. Perhaps they should return to that format. Knowing that they could be on TV (either Impact or Xplosion) might help increase house show attendance for this time of the year.

There's no two ways about it, this kind of thing makes TNA look inept, but I doubt it does any damage, it'll probably just make them rethink the structure for next year.

Personally I've always thought it took up way too much time and would work better if it was a knockout tournament with 16 guys that took place over 5 or 6 weeks.

Despite the cock up I'm interested to see which guys make the final 4 and who wins it, as the winner is very likely to be the guy that finally dethrones Bully for good and gets a big title run.

My picks for the Final 4 - Magnus, AJ, Roode and Hardy.

"You see, TNA, this is why we can't have nice things!"

All I gotta say is what the hell?!

How do you NOT plan out your biggest storyline of the summer that involves not only 12 of your more invested stars, but two factions (three now that EGO formed), a Knockout, and a few others on the sideline (like Eric Young helping Joseph Park and Chavo helping Hernandez)?!

I mean, the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, even Arena League Football and the WNBA can plan out proper schedules for their teams. I swear it can't be that hard to schedule 132 matches (12 competitors x 11 matches for each person) within a summer time with advanced planning. I'm not saying I can do it, but they are multi-million dollar company, and there are people whose ENTIRE job is planning schedules. The series officially began June 20, 2013. This coming Thursday is August 29th. That is exactly 11 Thursdays, and not counting PPVs or untelevised house shows.

Daniels has 30 points and only competed in 6 matches and both Samoa Joe and Anderson have 24 points in 9 matches. They ruined the possibility of Samoa Joe and Magnus facing each other, and also Roode facing Daniels OR Kazarian, and Styles facing Magnus after helping him and MEM last week. They're taking away the reason why factions should NOT work in the Series, and instead rewarding them by not splitting them up. I personally was very curious how Samoa Joe and Magnus would have handled their match.

Would it benefit only having 8 or 10 competitors? Apparently not, because even if there were only 10 they'd still have a bunch of guys missing matches.

If this were a new thing, I'd say give 'em a little break. This is the 3rd year. Jesus Christ, TNA. :banghead:

If the Bound for Glory series is ending this soon then it will be set in stone that Magnus would become #1 Contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship facing Bully Ray at Bound for Glory setting up Aces and Eights vs. Main Event Mafia and Magnus it is like they are setting him up to become the "Face of TNA" much like how John Cena became the "Face of WWE" back in 2005 at WrestleMania 21 when he beat JBL to become the new WWE Champion and Cena's career took off into mega-stardom that is what I think TNA is trying to do with Magnus like it is so obvious

If the Bound for Glory series is ending this soon then it will be set in stone that Magnus would become #1 Contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship facing Bully Ray at Bound for Glory setting up Aces and Eights vs. Main Event Mafia and Magnus it is like they are setting him up to become the "Face of TNA" much like how John Cena became the "Face of WWE" back in 2005 at WrestleMania 21 when he beat JBL to become the new WWE Champion and Cena's career took off into mega-stardom that is what I think TNA is trying to do with Magnus like it is so obvious

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT !!

I HOPE YOUR RIGHT !!

Why? Because you actually want Magnus to become the poster boy for this company much like how John Cena is for WWE? Why should Magnus be the "Face of TNA" much like how Cena is for WWE? How has Magnus earned that distinction? You tell me...yes he's a pretty boy but with all those good looks he probably has as much ability as Cena does and I mean that in a bad way too

Magnus top face VS Roode TOP BAD GUY !!!!!!!!!!

How is that even possible if Roode is not even the champion? Roode is in the Bound for Glory series too and not to mention Bully Ray is the champion so unless you can work a certain scenario like Roode becoming the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion only for Magnus to win the Bound for Glory series and end up facing Roode at Bound for Glory

Because then that could actually work but knowing TNA I am sure they want to keep the title on Bully at least until Bound for Glory

How is that even possible if Roode is not even the champion? Roode is in the Bound for Glory series too and not to mention Bully Ray is the champion so unless you can work a certain scenario like Roode becoming the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion only for Magnus to win the Bound for Glory series and end up facing Roode at Bound for Glory

Because then that could actually work but knowing TNA I am sure they want to keep the title on Bully at least until Bound for Glory

im saying put the title on Magnus at bfg . thin let him and roode past the title for the next 3 years and really establish the fact that roode is the top bad guy and Magnus is the top face.

I want them to shove Magnus down our throats as the charity going baby kissing and make a wish type guy and roode as the take from a charity take from a baby lol at kids dieing at make a wish.

I love the BFG series, but this year it's been kind of a mess. From what I read, that's a credit to Bruce Pritchard. But if they are going to rush the ending of this, they still have work to do....

So far, AJ Styles is still down the board in the 8th spot. I'm not on-board with Magnus winning the BFG series and I'm not convinced he will. AJ was the one who stood up to the Aces and 8s last week and stared down Bully Ray. If AJ doesn't win and doesn't rid TNA of the Aces & 8s and take the title from Bully Ray, the past year will be shown as meaningless and TNA will have shot all credibility. Magnus can't be the guy that does this. It has to be Mr. TNA, AJ Styles.

Hopefully with Pritchard gone, TNA will be able to get back to logical and consistent booking. I don't get all the people talking about TNA's money troubles either. Yes, they may be making budget cuts, but you do realize they are backed by Panda Energy right - a billion dollar energy corporation? Panda Energy is operated by Dixie's father. The budget cuts are to make TNA profitable and not a sign that they are shutting down at all.

I didn't mind the BFG series as a one off thing a little while ago, but it's becoming tiresome now. At first it felt like a fresh change in TNA, but now the BFG series just feels like another generic pro wrestling tournament/elimination series. I'm sure TNA will work out whatever potential kinks they're facing to get everything ready for their biggest pay per view of the year, but putting the BFG series on a little hiatus for next year could help matters. That, or tweaking it to add some changes in its current form.

The concept itself is great a tournament to find the #1 contender for the World Title, makes sense.

But as been pointed out, there's just to many guys to make any decent headway. I mean you can get a good story out of the BFG series (Roode turning on Storm, Hardy beating the odds and EGO/Styles) but there's not enough time to flesh it out. What's more you know half of the guys aren't going to have a shot at the title. Jay Bradley sure as hell isn't sniffing the #1 contendership.

Knock it down to six guys and its a lot more streamlined and you can get more stories out of it and more time to flesh them out.

I am so very disappointed. I love the BFG Series, I think it's great because it encouraged TNA to plan far ahead and also the fact that it was ongoing not just on Impact but at house shows and on Xplosion meaning that matches at those events actually mattered in the grand scale of things.

The first year of the BFG Series was kind of a mess and I'll admit that because you had people being given more matches than others but the concept was new at the time.

However the second year I really feel they perfected it with everyone facing each other once and you also had some REALLY entertaining matchups, the only thing I disliked was the eventual winner, Hardy.

So this time, they really had no excuse IMO. I don't like to speculate on backstage stuff because let's be honest noe of us have a clue what goes on there :lmao: But was it perhaps down to Prichard leaving? He after all was supposed to be behind all the long term planning stuff. And I really enjoyed that.

I personally was very curious how Samoa Joe and Magnus would have handled their match.

As was I!

Hopefully with Pritchard gone, TNA will be able to get back to logical and consistent booking.

When did you think it was at its most logical? I always thought it was under Prichard.

During the first two years some of the series matches took place at house shows which were recorded.. Perhaps they should return to that format. Knowing that they could be on TV (either Impact or Xplosion) might help increase house show attendance for this time of the year.

You see, they DID do a couple of BFG Series matches this year on Xplosion and at house shows. So in my mind they really have no excuse here at all.

more changes.

http://www.impactwrestling.com/news...ht-s-Bound-For-Glory-Series-matches-on-IMPACT
Tonight on Impact Wrestling on Spike TV is “Must Win Thursday” in the BFG Series. Each year, the BFG Series pits 12 wrestlers in a series of matches with the top four moving on to the BFG Series Final Four at No Surrender (Sept 12th in St. Louis). Last year, the series was held under Round Robin rules with the eventual winner being Jeff Hardy.

In 2013, the BFG series shifted to bring more of the series to Spike TV and include the Joker’s Wild (Random Draw Tag Team Tournament), Hardcore Justice (Fourway Hardcore Matches) and the Fan Choice event (allowing you to pick the BFG card). The 2013 BFG Series has provided each talent the same amount of opportunities to earn the same amount of points. By the end of this week’s BFG Series matches (after this coming week’s Xplosion show), each wrestler was scheduled to have had seven one-on-one matches with one exception.

Magnus, due to an unforeseen issue, will not be appearing on tonight’s Impact Wrestling on Spike TV. Magnus currently has competed in 5 matches and was scheduled to face Kazarian on Xplosion this week and Jeff Hardy on Spike TV tonight. Due to the circumstances, TNA officials have met and made the following decision:

Magnus will stand with his current total of 39 points. Jeff Hardy and Kazarian will face each other tonight on Impact Wrestling on Spike TV to make up their originally scheduled match with Magnus. Also the originally scheduled Kazarian vs. Hernandez match will move to Xplosion this week.

“Must Win Thursday“ tonight will now feature three matches with serious implications on the BFG Series Final Four scheduled for No Surrender in St. Louis; Austin Aries vs. Christopher Daniels, Jeff Hardy vs. Frankie Kazarian, and AJ Styles vs. Bobby Roode. Tune in tonight at 9/8c for all this and the return of Hulk Hogan on Spike TV.

matches that were changed were changed from what I read just a few days ago, and now changed again.

if Magnus can't be there tonight that means he can't be there for the tapings to air next week either. does this effect Magnus in the standings?

Thanks for that link FNK

The 2013 BFG Series has provided each talent the same amount of opportunities to earn the same amount of points. By the end of this week’s BFG Series matches (after this coming week’s Xplosion show), each wrestler was scheduled to have had seven one-on-one matches with one exception.

Alright so I guess I can be more forgiving now... but I wish they had been more clear on this to begin with.

TNA has made an absolute mess of the BFG Series this year in my eyes. The storytelling has morphed into an absolute clusterfuck. After last night's matches, the final four looked to be Magnus, Aries, Hardy & Daniels before Hulk Hogan comes out to cut some rambling sham of a promo. In this promo, Hogan states that he had a meeting with Spike and decided they needed one more 20 point gauntlet match. I have no idea why. IF the idea is ultimately to have AJ Styles win the BFG Series, or to at least make it into the Final Four, a perfectly simple solution would have been to have him defeat Bobby Roode last night via submission. It would have given him 32 points and put him in 4th place, knocking out Hardy & Daniels by 1 & 2 points respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back