Match of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

gd

Plump, Juicy User
I know that Lee made one of these a while ago, but I think it may have been archived and I think we should start off fresh anyway. The idea is pretty simple, what do you think the best wrestling match of the week was? It could be from any company, anywhere in the world. WWE, TNA, ROH, DGUSA, even your backyard wrestling federation.

Just post in your thread what you think the match of the week was and give reasons explaining why. To make it clear, Monday is the first day of the week, and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong. Not only will this get discussion, but it'll help when we're looking back to remember our favorite matches of the year. I think I'll even try to update the first post of this thread with what is deemed the best match of each week.

The choice seems pretty clear for the first week of the year, I don't know how you could overlook AJ Styles v. Kurt Angle on Impact. It was the perfect choice for the main event of TNA's first Monday show as there was just no way these 2 guys were going to disappoint. I firmly believe AJ is the best wrestler in the world at the moment. There may have been a few too many finishers and subsequent kickouts in this match, but it was still incredible.

An honorable mention goes to DX v. Jerishow from Raw. It was as solid match that the crowd was really into.

Previous Winners

1/4-1/10 - TNA World Title Match: AJ Styles v. Kurt Angle (Impact 1/4)
1/11-1/17 - TNA World Title Match: AJ Styles v. Kurt Angle (Genesis 1/17)
1/18-1/24 - Cena and Kingston v. Legacy (Raw 1/18)
1/25-1/30 - Mr. Anderson v. Jeff Jarrett (Impact 1/28)
1/31-2/6 - The Royal Rumble Match (Royal Rumble 1/31)
2/7 - 2/13 - CM Punk v. Rey Mysterio (Smackdown 2/12)
2/14 - 2/20 - Triple H v. John Cena (Raw 2/15)
2/21-2/27 - Smackdown Elimination Chamber (Elimination Chamber 2/21)
2/28 - 3/6 - Rey Mysterio v. Luke Gallows (Smackdown 3/5)
3/7 - 3/13 - X Division Title Match: Doug Williams v. Kaz v. Daniels (Impact 3/8)
3/14 - 3/20 - Chris Jericho v. Shawn Michaels (Raw 3/15)
3/21 - 3/27 - Ultimate X Match: Generation Me v. Motory City Machineguns (Destination X 3/21)
3/27 - 4/3 - Undertaker v. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 3/28)
4/4 - 4/10 - Randy Orton v. Jack Swagger (Raw 4/5)
4/11 - 4/17 - WHC Match: Jack Swagger v. Edge v. Chris Jericho (Smackdown 4/16)
4/18 - 4/24 - Cage Match: Kurt Angle v. Mr. Anderson (Lockdown 4/18)
4/25 - 5/1 - Unified Tag Team Title Match : Hart Dynasty v. ShowMiz (Raw 4/26)
5/2 - 5/8 - Christian v. Cody Rhodes (Smackdown 5/7)
5/9 - 5/15 - IC Title Match: Kofi Kingston v. Christian (Smackdown 5/14)
5/16 - 5/22 - Edge v. Christian (Raw 5/17)
5/23 - 5/29 - AJ Styles v. Mr. Anderson (Impact 5/27)
5/30 - 6/5 - John Cena and Evan Bourne v. Sheamus and Edge (Raw 5/31)
6/6 - 6/12 - John Cena v. CM Punk (Raw 6/7)
6/13 - 6/19 - US Title Match: The Miz v. R-Truth v. Zach Ryder v. John Morrison (Raw 6/14)
6/20 - 6/26 - Evan Bourne v. Chris Jericho (Fatal 4-Way 6/20)
6/27 - 7/3 - Edge, Dibiase, Jericho, and Miz v. Orton, Bourne, Morrison, R-Truth (Raw 6/28)
7/4 - 7/10 - RVD v. Samoa Joe (Impact 7/8)
7/11 - 7/17 - Tag Title Match: Motor City Machineguns v. Beer Money (Victory Road 7/11)
7/18 - 7/24 - Raw MITB Match (Money in the Bank 7/18)
7/25 - 7/31 - Tag Title Match: Motor City Machineguns v. Beer Money (Impact 7/29)
8/1 - 8/7 - Tag Title Match: Motor City Machineguns v. Beer Money (Impact 8/5)
8/8 - 8/14 - Tag Title Match: Motor City Machineguns v. Beer Money (Impact 8/12)
8/15 - 8/21 - Team WWE v. Nexus (Summerslam 8/15)
8/22 - 8/28 - The Miz v. John Cena (Raw 8/23)
8/29 - 8/5 - Kaval v. Alex Riley v. Michael McGillitcutty (NXT 8/31)
9/5 - 9/11 - Jeff Hardy v. Kurt Angle (No Surrender 9/5)
9/12 - 9/18 - Sheamus v. John Morrison (Raw 9/13)
9/19 - 9/25 - US Title Match: The Miz v. Daniel Bryan (Night of Champions 9/19)
9/26 - 10/2 - Jack Swagger v. Kofi Kingston (Superstars 9/30)
10/3 - 10/9 - John Cena v. Wade Barrett (Hell in a Cell 10/3)
10/10 - 10/16 - World Title Match: Mr. Anderson v. Jeff Hardy v. Kurt Angle (Bound for Glory 10/10)
10/17 - 10/23 - Edge v. CM Punk (Smackdown 10/22)
10/24 - 10/30 - Dolph Ziggler v. Daniel Bryan (Bragging Rights 10/24)
10/31 - 11/6 - Edge v. Alberto Del Rio (Smackdown 11/5)
11/7 - 11/13 - Kofi Kingston v. Alberto Del Rio (Smackdown 11/12)
11/15 - 11/21 - Daniel Bryan v. Jack Swagger (Raw 11/15)
11/22 - 11/28 - Jack Swagger v. Kofi Kingston (Smackdown 11/26)
11/29 - 12/5 - Jack Swagger v. Kofi Kingston (Smackdown 12/3)
12/6 - 12/12 - Jack Swagger v. Kaval (Smackdown 12/10)

Gotta go with AJ and Kurt as well, generally I find Kurt Angle to be the most overrated wrestler on the planet, but he's in there with AJ and AJ cant fail to have a good match.

As far as wrestling goes this week, we had an abundance of matches to choose from, but none of them stood out at all, not that I am complaining, it's free tv for fucks sake, I am not missing out. AJ vs Kurt was the high point, it was very good, Mysterio vs Batista is a close second, but apart from that the matches in WWE and TNA werent anything to scream about.

Reactions: gd
Ive never "willingly" looked at Mark Madden that long in my life but yeah...AJ/Angle was BY FAR MOTW. I dont think anything on Raw came even a fraction as close. Kofi/Orton was a disappointment, and im glad I didnt tune in to see 3H go over Jericho for the 10000th time. I do not have HDNet so I can only see ROH TV on YouTube.

AJ VS Kurt easily. I liked the DX/Jerishow match, until Hornswoggle got involved. The match was going pretty good up until that point. DX are the unified tag champs now, we need to see less of the little guy. Anyway, AJ VS Kurt was by far the best match. Every time these two get into the ring together it's like magic. The only thing other than DX/Jerishow, that came close to this was probably Orton VS Kingston.

Style/Angle was a decent match. I've never been a fan of having talent kick out finishers ever, as they make the finisher look weak. I saw Angle kick out of the Styles Clash, and then that springboard 450. Then Styles had to deliver another Styles Clash followed by the springboard 450 to put Kurt down? I think that lacks psychology right there. The match was great, but the ending sucked so bad it was pathetic.

Then again, no other match quite lived up to it. So I guess by default even with the horrible finish, that it gets this weeks match of the week.

So, another week, another match, ya dig? I forgot about doing this yesterday, but just remember Raw from last night doesn't count, not like there was anything great on there anyway.

There's a lot to choose from the previous week, but ultimately I think I have to go with Generation Me (Young Bucks) v. the Motor City Machineguns. Sure, it may have been little more than a spotfest, but I really enjoyed it and it was a great way to bring a new team into TNA. The #1 Contender's Match was pretty decent as well.

I haven't watched Genesis yet, but I don't think there was anything that incredible on there. Possibly the main event. I may change my choice later, but I doubt it.

I would go with the AJ Styles/Kurt Angle match from Genesis. While I’m sure the ending would be criticised by some I think having it end the way it did was a better option than another series of devaluing finishers like their last one. They also seemed aware that their pairing against each other is becoming somewhat stale, and I was happy that they combated this by utilising some new moves and less of their frequent Styles Clash to Ankle lock type reversals in favour of some less commonly used maneuvers by either party. I think that this should be their last contest for a while, but if this was the case then I enjoyed it immensely.

A close second, and possibly even joint first for me would have been the MCMG/Generation Me match. It was one of the best debuts I have seen from a new team and I found that both teams had great chemistry. The possibility of a feud between these two teams has me very psyched and I think they will be a valuable addition to the TNA roster if correctly utilised. While it is true that the match was mostly spots it accomplished the aim of putting over a new tag team, as well being a fun bout that was enjoyable to watch.

I won't let this thing die. People should come in here and post and shit.

As for my choice for this week, really not that much to choose from. Angle/AJ had a chance at the 3peat, but I really was not a fan of the screwjob ending at all. Couldn't they have come up with something that wasn't a carbon copy of what was already done? I would've rather had Shark Boy come in and interfere.

I guess I'll have to go with Cena and Kofi v. Legacy from Raw. It was nothing special, but still a solid enough match. Plus, I'm a big fan of Kofi. Hoping for big things from him this year.

Also, I changed my pick last week to AJ/Angle. After watching Genesis, there was just no other choice.

So in order to keep GD happy I am posting here.

I watched as much wrestling as I could take this week, and that was a lot, my match of the week was a close call between Cena vs Sheamus and Jarrett vs Anderson and surprisingly enough, JJ vs Anderson won the day for me, I thought it was really entertaining and I was actually rooting for Jeff all the way, dissapointed when he lost but the match was great, TNA are really stealing the show for me at the moment.

So that's my match of the week, fuck you all if you dont like it.

I'm going to have to go with Ken Anderson vs. Jeff Jarrett. It was one of those matches that made you root for the "good" guy, like a little kid. Whoever booked this match was a genius, as the two squaring off just felt right. Although there was no need for the post-match assault, that happened after the bell so it doesn't take away from the substance of the match for me.

AJ vs Kurt could have gone for the hat trick, had they not gone with that ending. But there was no way they could have had a clean finish with AJ as a heel, and they needed to keep the storyline going somehow. But that's a whole other thread.

I'm only doing this for GD.

I thought Smackdown was a great show and there were about 4 matches that were very enjoyable. You know what? Screw it, 5 matches. The Divas segment was so painful it was funny. So that would definately get my vote for show of the week. However, as far as the matches on the show, there was just a lot to have to nitpick. HHH vs Punk was good, but I wouldnt call it the best, the same with R-Truth vs Jericho. McIntyre vs Morrison was also good, but it was too short for my tastes, and Mysterio vs HBK was good, but I feel they could have done a lot better, and the ending was a bit meh.

Raw was ok, the DX/Legacy match was ok, as was Sheamus vs Cena, so I'm not sure where I stand on that. In a rarity for me, I didnt catch ECW or Impact this week. Superstars was nothing to write home about for me.

So I guess I'll go with...uh.

Morrison and McIntyre. It could have been really great with maybe another 5 minutes, but it was still nice to see some crowd fighting. So there you go.

I would go with Rey VS HBK from Smackdown,but I HATED the ending to that match. Batista interfering, then HHH comes down to help HBK, and then Taker choke slams Rey and HBK???? It was just to much of a clusterfuck ending to me. Also, all of that stuff could be hinting at a couple of things I don't want to see. Either Triple H or HBK is going to feud with Batista again.....something I don't want to see happen.

I guess I'll go with HHH VS CM Punk. It's not like the match was amazing or anything, but it was solid. Plus, the promo HHH cut on CM Punk and his followers before the match was just great. The match it self was pretty physical, and we saw a pretty hard spinebuster from The Game. Now this is a feud I would like to see some where down the line.

It appears everyone is picking matches from this week. Fair enough. Everything from last week did suck. I'm going to change my choice of Cena/Kingston to the 108 Man Battle Royal from Japan, even though it didn't happen last week, that's when I watched it.

Anyone, as far as this week goes, there have been a few decent matches. I was sort of falling asleep during Anderson/Jarrett and I abo****ely hate JJ, so that can't be my choice. A few of the SD matches sound alright, but I didn't watch and likely won't check them out.

For the moment, my choice is DX v. Legacy. Sure, they're both stale and boring and blah, blah, blah. But, the match was pretty good. I'd even say above average.

However, we still have the Royal Rumble this week, which I'd reckon is pretty likely to produce a couple of pretty good matches.

Well my vote for match of the week. Well last week would of course be the Royal Rumble match. It was just plain awesome. There was a lot of entertaining parts of the match including CM Punk's promo's, Beth Phoenix eliminating The Great Khali, HBK eliminating HHH early in the match, R Truth eliminating the two fatties and Edge's return. This and many other reason is why it was the best match of the week.

Well, another week and this thread is still barely hanging on. If it wasn't for TLC, it may have been dead by now. This week started on Monday, remember.

Decent week for wrestling actually. Both Raw and Impact were pretty good. I'm going to have to say MOTW was Pope v. AJ. Pretty solid back and forth for awhile, and it led to a surprising win by the Pope followed by some entertaining aftermath, including Ric Flair trying to actually move.

HM goes to HHH v. Swagger on Raw, because it lasted about 10 minutes longer than I expected.

The week starts on Sunday GD, Sunday. So for me it got to be the Royal Rumble match. It was a great match, and there were never any REALLY dull spots. CM Punk kept it interesting in the starts, then we had a good influx of stars in the middle as we followed HBK, then we had Edge pick things up at the end.

If you want me to choose TV matches, I'm not quite sure. I again did not watch Impact, so I would have to choose one of the Elimination Chamber qualifying matches as my match of the week. I'm both a fan of Swagger and of HHH, so that would definately be high up, and I also have a soft spot for Ziggler, and thought his encounter with Mysterio was good, if not a good as their feud throughout the Summer.

So yeah.

Because I didnt include it last time, I shall include the Royal Rumble PPV in this week as well, the Rumble more or less wins by default for me, as I am incredibly biased in favour of that match anyway. So I'll call the Rumble the winner, out of pure favouritism of course.

I feel the need to mention the other matches from this week, but asides from the PPV it's been a slow week match wise, the problem with tournament matches and qualifying matches is that they are rarely uber competitive classics, which is fine, they shouldnt be, save that for the tournament finals etc.

My two favourite matches are probably AJ vs Pope, in what was a pretty entertaining match for TNA and Orton vs Sheamus, which was surprisingly good, Sheamus proving again (to me anyway) that he really isnt bad at all, all he needs is a crowd reaction and he might actually deserve his title run.

An honorouble mention goes to the Knockouts Title Match, well, I actually really enjoyed it, which is rare for a match with women in, as I am usually just passing the time by staring at the hottest one.

I'm going with Tyler Black VS Roderick Strong from ROH. This was a good and solid match. There's a point in this match where Austin Aries comes down, and throws popcorn all over Black. He responds with a superkick while Aries was drinking a glass of wine....very awesome moment.

I liked HHH VS Jack Swagger, but I feel that Punk VS HHH was better, so that's why I didn't go with that one. Pope VS AJ was a solid match, and the match between Tara and Angelina was also fun to watch because I'm glad to see Angelina back in action.

To make it clear, Monday is the first day of the week, and anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.

There's some clarification for you. Since the Rumble is out of the question, I would have to go with Angelina Love vs. Tara from Impact. Two hot women with actual wrestling ability, going at it for the title. This is what the Knockouts Division should be all about. And again, this had a right feel to it. These two are truly the alpha females in TNA, and could outdo anything the Divas throw at them.

I think we're officially going to start the week on Sunday since so many of you have done so already, and it actually works much better as far as this thread goes.

I didn't watch too much wrasslin this week, but I think that Doug Williams v. Amazing Red from Impact was a pretty good match. Lots of cool kicks and flippys from Red and Williams is alright as well.

Well, it's saturday over here, which means it's time for me to do my bit to keep this thread from dying, I've just caught up with all the wrestling I am interested in watching on Youtube this week.

First from RAW is the triple threat tag team match, DX vs ShowMiz vs STS, a good match, with a really good ending, The Miz wins again, showing that when everyone was shitting on him, me, Jake, IC, and Becker were right to say that this guy is the future. Thankyou very much. Going with the obvious again on SmackDown! Undertaker vs Jericho was the best match there, great fun.

TNA had Angle/Anderson vs Wolfe/Hernandez, which I think was the match of the night for them, really enjoyed it, the ending was a bit predictable, we all knew Angle was gonna own everybody and then Anderson was gonna steal the win but it was still an entertaining little watch.

I think the Match Of The Week has to go with the DX vs ShowMiz vs STS tag title match, it was certainly the match I enjoyed the most. All in all another week of solid TV matches, isnt Against All Odds on Tommorow? I'll include that in next weeks.

I also liked the elimination tag match on RAW but i wanted STS to win. I have heard rumors that Shawn Michaels didn't want STS to win due to the fact of him hating Punks gimmick and if that is true then i have lost alot of respect for Shawn.

So, was I the only person that watched Smackdown this week? Because I figured everyone would agree with me that CM Punk and Rey Mysterio definitely had the match of the week in the opener on Smackdown last night. Those two always work well together, and this was no exception, especially since they were given a good 15 minutes or so to just go out there and work. Not their best encounter, but still a damn fine match, better than anything on Impact, Raw, or ECW this week. I had it rated at about ***1/2 stars, not a classic by any means but a very, very good match up.

So, was I the only person that watched Smackdown this week? Because I figured everyone would agree with me that CM Punk and Rey Mysterio definitely had the match of the week in the opener on Smackdown last night. Those two always work well together, and this was no exception, especially since they were given a good 15 minutes or so to just go out there and work. Not their best encounter, but still a damn fine match, better than anything on Impact, Raw, or ECW this week. I had it rated at about ***1/2 stars, not a classic by any means but a very, very good match up.

I thought I was the only one who was going to name the Punk vs Mysterio match as match of the week. I assumed most others would say the triple threat tag team match on RAW or Undertaker vs Jericho. I pretty much have to agree with your whole post. I remember their match from Armageddon 2008. This one wasn't quite as good, but for a TV match I thought it was brilliant. The back drop on the barricade was a great spot, the finish was done excellently and the match just flowed well. Definately the match of the week.

Different strokes about the Punk match I guess, I dont mind Rey Mysterio so much but I cant see the appeal in Punk at all, or why people are raving about the Straight Edge Society, I honestly dont think he's been much good outside of his programme with Jeff.

The match itself I couldnt get into, a bit like most of Punk's matches, I just find him to be incredibly meh all round. I would honestly rather watch Sheamus, the guy makes me hate him, he's no JBL, but he's pretty good. Anyway, that reminds me actually, Sheamus vs Christian is definately a contender for Match Of The Week, I still dont think it's better than the triple threat tag match, but it's one I forgot to mention earlier. Sheamus got a credible win and it didnt make Christian look weak in defeat, and it was just a good match to watch, I was genuinely rooting for Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back