Match of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
There weren't really that much of remarkable matches this week on RAW at least. Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston and Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes were really all there is remarkable this week in terms of wrestling (I didn't watch iMPACT).

Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes felt a little odd to me. The match as a whole was good but I just don't like how they can't just seem to book Rey Mysterio at a weak point and have Cody beat him clean. I mean it's supposed to seem like he has a damn chance in this tournament, which he won't have if he cheats his way through it all.

Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston was also pretty good. Yet this one at least had a clean finish. It was very back and forth between the two and had I not known already who was going to be featured as the winners, I would've been absolutely torn as to who I would've seen walking out the winner in this one. I like those type of matches, and that's why Jack vs Kofi gets match of the week from me.

Reactions: gd
Swaggie/Kofi takes it for me. Jackie Boy is by far my favorite wrestler and that mascot only takes things up to a whole nother level. Kofi ain't bad either. They've worked well toghether in the past, and it continued year. Swagger should've won though. Would've been great for KOTR considering he can, you know, wrestle well.

I agree with GD here. Kofi Vs Swagger was a really good match on Smackdown and I think it went around 15+ minutes I think and its rare to see a Match get that much time on TV. It was Really Good match I wish Swagger would've won the match but it was still Very Good and easily the Match of the Week.

I agree with the Kingston vs. Swagger match. It had solid wrestling throughout but it really picked up near the finish and I couldn't tell who was going to win the match and advance into the KOTR. It was also quite a long match, which I really liked, and was a great choice as the first match on Smackdown. An honourable mention goes to Hawkins vs. Barreta on Superstars. I am a huge fan of Hawkins and seeing him with his old finisher and music made me very happy. Another solid back and forth encounter and very close to being my favourite match of the week.

A lot of good matches on RAW last night, but as far as story-telling goes, The MIz/Lawler TLC match was nearly flawless. It made an obviously predictable match look like it could go either way.

Also: Sheamus vs. John Morrison was a great match

This week once again belongs to Kofi Kingston vs. Jack Swagger. A phenomenal match between the two once again. Its really nice to see a slight push for both Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger once again. Swagger's reign as World Champion wasn't the best, but to see him in the Intercontinental title hunt satisfies me. IC champions don't need to draw like the world champions and I think its a perfect way to biuld swagger back up. Anyways back to the match. Pretty solid. Kofi getting the win wasn't suprising but how he won did suprise me a little. The Trouble in Paradise from the outside was perfect. If only he didn't wait so long to return to the ring. It seemed as if Swagger would've recovered by the time Kofi went for the pin. On a good note though, we get Kofi/Dolph for the IC Championship...oh wait. Again?

Other matches that caught my attention will include the Kane/Edge match on Smackdown. A very great Kane match here which is somewhat suprising. I saw Kane doing moves I haven't seen done in a while. The ending is what pissed me off a bit. It was a cheap way to beat Kane. No offense to Edge, but he needs to drop to whole abducting Paul thing. Its getting old. The match, in my opinion, was a little too predictable. Of course Edge is winning and picking the TLC match. Its common wrestling knowledge. Great match, bad ending.

On RAW, Sheamus vs. Kofi was another great. It was fun match and I almost felt Kofi was pulling away with the victory after nailing Sheamus with the Troube in Paradise. A very gret match.

Sheamus vs. Morrsion once again. No explaination needed.

Miz and King TLC was pointless but a bit fun.

Ablberto Del Rio vs. Daniel Bryan. Very great match. Second favorite match of the week. It was a true dream match if given the time. Bryan's dumbass took a suicide dive through the ropes and Del Rio moves and hits the gaurd rail. It was at that time the match was over. It was clear after a few shots the the shoulder and arm, Del Rio was winning. The crowd was into this match and a lot heat was drawn for Del Rio. The match showed us exactly what the future holds in the WWE and dammit, I like it.

If this weeks PPV doesn't count for this week then Kofi Vs Swagger is the Match of the Week, They had a Really Good TV match action was Very Solid and these two seem to have alot of chemistry and it was just a Really Good TV Match. If Final Resolution Matches count for this week I think that AJ vs Doug Williams and/or MCMG vs Gen Me if given the right amount of time then both of those matches could be better then Kofi vs Swagger but as of right now its Kofi vs Swagger.

Match Of The Week

WWE Monday Night Raw Standouts

Daniel Bryan vs. Alberto Del Rio - This was the first match on Raw last Monday and the first of the KOTR tournament. I thought it was a fun, overall very solid match between these two. It was fun to see these two against each other for the first time. It wasn't the best match I've seen Bryan in, but It was still a good performance. Del Rio ultimately got the win and I liked how they did give Bryan something of an out with him sustaining an injury during the match. It was a win, but he didn't dominate Bryan so he still looked good in defeat.

Sheamus vs. John Morrison - Great match with these two in the finals of the KOTR tournament. This match was much better than their match at Survivor Series and was highly competitive. Morrison showed tons of heart, wrestling for what was his third match of the night and wrestling "injured". He gave Sheamus all he wanted and looked like a star. Sheamus himself looked great as well and matched Morrison's determinanation. Sheamus did get the win and became KOTR but it was a great back and forth match.

The Miz vs. Jerry The King Lawler - This has easily been the most talked about televised wrestling match in a long while. The Miz's first WWE Championship defense against a legend. Like a lot of people, I wasn't looking forward to this but the match was actually quite fun in my opinion. Even though Lawler is 61, he's still able to do everything he did at 31. Lawler was never the most athletic wrestler anyhow. What this match did more than anything else, however, was tell a great story using a basic formula. The Miz did win, though in a controversial fashion. Some thought it was great, some hated it but, either way, I'm willing to bet everyone will tune in to Raw this Monday to see what happens next and that's precisely what the WWE wanted to happen all along.

WWE Superstars Standouts

Trent Baretta vs. Tyler Reks - I enjoyed this match a lot and it was much better than I thought it'd be. On paper it looked weak, but they put on a very fun tv match in my view. Trent Baretta can work, that's obvious to anyone that watches him, and Tyler Reks could be a real force if he develops some personality. Curt Hawkins was out there doing commentary here and he showed a lot of personality out there and these are three young guys I think that the WWE could do something with. Reks got the win eventually with the Burning Hammer, I love that name.

David Hart Smith vs. Tyson Kidd - This was another highly enjoyable match and is really something that should be moved to Raw. Both of them looked crisp and smooth during the match, though I think it could've been an incredible match if Kidd really cut loose. The match was competitive, told a good story and had a personal feel to it. DH Smith did get the win eventually, but it wasn't a dominantly decisive win. If these two can develop personalities, they'd be great.

TNA iMPACT! Standouts

Motor City Machine Guns vs. Ink Inc. vs. Beer Money vs. Generation Me - This was a fun four way tag team match that opened up iMPACT! last night. The best thing about TNA is its tag team division and we saw a reason why. There was some fun offense during the match and having it start the show off instead of a promo gave it a fresh feel. The downside here was that it was far too short at only about 5 minutes. Ink Inc managed to get the win here.

Douglas Williams vs. Kazarian - Great match from these two and possibly the best match I've seen TNA put on television in months. I'm not really a fan of Kazarian but he can go in the ring and Williams is someone I've really become a fan of over time. He's just fun to watch inside the ring, his moves are crisp and his finisher just looks great. Again, the only real problem here is that it was too short at only 5 minutes.

WWE Friday Night SmackDown! Standouts

Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre vs. MVP & Kaval - This was a fun tag team match and there was enough of a connection here to give the match a reason for taking place. I thought MVP & Kaval had good chemistry together but MVP's no longer with the company so that ends that. It was an overall solid match with the crowd firmly behind MVP & Kaval. Ziggler ultimately scores the win after hitting Kaval with the ZigZag around the 11.5 minute mark.

Kofi Kingston vs. Jack Swagger - Awesome match from these two. They have a great chemistry together and I thought this was their best match yet. It was very competitive and just plain fun to watch. They took a lot of their stuff in the previous match and brought it to this one, then incorporated a few other little things that made it work great. Kofi gets the win after hitting Trouble in Paradise around the 17 minute mark. Kofi is #1 contender for the IC title now.

Kane vs. Edge - This wasn't the greatest main event but I thought it was a pretty good match overall. Edge & Kane were able to tell a good story and both worked hard during the match. The action overall was quite solid, though it was a little bit slow at times. Edge does ultimately get the win around the 13.5 minute mark after hitting The Spear and names their match at TLC a TLC match. Pretty good main event, though far from great.

Match Of The Week: Kofi Kingston vs. Jack Swagger - This was just a tremendous tv match, just the sort of match you wanna be able to see for free. It had pretty much everything you could ask for. It told a great story, it was competitive, it was quite long and both wrestlers have great chemistry. I was originally going with The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler. That was a fun match and people have been talking about it constantly. The buzz it's generated alone could be enough and I can't fault anyone if they did think it was MOTW. However, I just couldn't ignore the great performance of Kofi & Swagger tonight. It was simply too good of a match to overlook.

Good the poster above doesn't fault me for not giving Kofi/Swagger the match of the week. I did so last week, though.

I am still sticking with Sheamus/Morrison. I felt the match was very solid and escalated very well. It also helped that Raw booked an actual feud to end their tournament. It does seem odd that WWE continues to book the KOTR when they really don't seem to want to have it around anymore. They love 3 hour Raws though, especially when they start before Monday Night Football. I can't argue with more wrestling, so I'll gladly live with it.

Now for Kofi/Swagger it just felt much sloppier than last week. A lot of spots made me cringe. I know over the last few years I have become to accept and even like Kingston despite that a lot his matches can get like this. I used to even call him Sloppy Kingston, but he has gotten a lot better in the square circle. I guess I finally bought into Michael Cole calling it "controlled frenzy." I also may have been let down by the fact they said it was a #1 Contender match for Dolph's title. So before the match started I was like "great we are going to get Kofi v.s Dolph for the millionth time" after they had tons of lackluster contests during the summer.

Either way, I still stick with Sheamus/Morrison. Instead of WWE just throwing HHH back at Sheamus maybe they should just continue this feud. It has the heat and it could get even more intense with the right booking. I'm sure just not booking anymore segments with Santino would help a lot to make it seem more serious.

For honorable mentions this week I'll have Lawler/Miz and DHS/Kidd. Lawler and Miz torn down the show with what might be the most non-over the top TLC match ever (which is a definite plus in my book). It kind of reminded of Flair/Edge but not too much. It still felt like a different breed. Now for David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd finally seeing those two get at it after their tag team fell apart was quite nice even if they should have stayed together. I hope they continue to have matches on Superstars, because that feud would add a bit to the entire show.

There is my thoughts take them how you like.

I'm very torn this week.

On one hand we have Alberto vs Bryan Danielson. Very good opening match for RAW, and an overall good match for the entire week. Alberto and Bryan are very good in the ring, and when the two clashed this Monday it was bound to be good. And they managed to deliver. Yet I'm sure if given more time they could do it even better. Like Jack noted, Bryan looked good in defeat.

John Morrison vs Sheamus. Even if I don't like to admit that John has his days in the ring where he's pretty good. This was still a good match, and it made both look good. Sheamus needed the victory, and he got it. Very back and forth match that definitely could've made both a worthy winner.

And ultimately, of course I have to include Jack Swagger vs Kofi. They once again tears the house down. They got a lot of time to do their thing, and they manage to deliver very consistently in what I would've considered a very very firm mid-card Pay Per View quality match. Both looked strong, and it was so very back and forth that the winner was almost unpredictable.

So, judging from all above, Jack vs Kofi really has to win it. While all of the 3 matches were absolutely golden. This one got the time, it got the quality, and it got the right contenders continuing what will probably eventually become a Pay Per View match.

I'm continuing to pick a Swagger match every single week as long as he gets an ample amount of time since he's freaking incredible. Too bad he's hidden on Smackdown where most really don't get to see him. Kofi is just fine as well, I suppose. Another week, another solid SD match taking the cake.

HM to Miz/Lawler as well, if only for the Cole ending.

Match of the Week this week would have to go to Motor City Machine Guns vs. Generation Me in the Full Metal Mayham at TNA's Final Resolution. Ever since the match was announced I knew it would probably beat all the other matches in the week. MCMGs and Generation Me work so well together and when you throw in a couole ladders, you've got yourself an instant classic. Great spots during the match. Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin and Jeremy and Max are great in ring performers and work well together. Anytime they get in the ring its a great show. The only thing wrong with this match is the fact that it was too predictable. The Bucks are great but not good enough to be at the top of the greatest tag team divison in the world. The ending seemed weird but it still worked for me. A great match.

Another TNA match that can't go without mentioning will be a knockouts match. Yes, that's right, a knockouts match is my second pick for match of the week. A steel cage match between two former WWE divas. This match really showed what TNA allows their women to do and what WWE won't allow them too. Both Mickie and Tara were nothing more than midiocre in the WWE Divas division. Put them in an intense personal feud and you've got two of the greatest knockouts in the history of Knockouts. The Mickie jump from the top was fucking sick to see a woman do that, especially Mickie James with that awesome ass! Their battles from backstage to ringside have been amazing and something you don't quite see in the woman's divisons--anywhere. Finally TNA does something great, putting emphasis on the divisons WWE doesn't do quite well in. Two Knockouts headlining a wrestling show? We've come along way since 1920. Lol

On Superstars we saw another Curt Hawkins vs. Trent Berretta match. In my opinion, their other matches were way better. But even though this match wasn't as great, it was still better than most matches we see on RAW or Smackdown. Its a damn shame no one cared about the match. The crowd was dead silent. And I mean dead. Berretta did a whisper in the wind type move over the top rope and the crowd remained silent. The crowd is probably to blame for the match not being as great as their previous ones. Still the match was either Smackdown or RAW quality.

Douglas Williams vs. AJ Styles will proably be overlooked this week. I would've placed my money on AJ retaining but Douglas pulled away with the victory. Very very back and forth. It was something that really suprised me. I was never into Douglas Williams before his face turn. Don't have anything to say about this match other than watch it, and appriciate the style of the two. Amzing match with an awesome ending. Rolling German on the outside was classic.

On Smackdown Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler was fucking amazing! Kofi week after week after week is putting on some of the best matches, not only on Smackdown but the WWE. Here's a guy who can work with anyone and make them look great. Hopefully, Kofi doesn't go the Shelton Benjamin route. On the other hand, Dolph is a phenomenal champion. The WWE are bring a lot of presttige back to their belts with these legnthy title reigns. Ziggler deserves that belt. Every feud he's been in is simply amazing. Anyway,the ending was somewhat horse shit, Swagger pulling Kofi out of the ring was a stinker. Could they not have waited for the match to be over. I'd feel better if Kofi had lost rather then a no contest decision. On the bright side, we'll see a possible Kofi Kington/Jack Swagger feud which is fucking great.

Match of the Week:
Motor City Machine Guns vs. Generation Me.

I didn't watch Final Resolution, so I can't comment on the matches there, even though I'm sure they were more than fine.

However, this week pretty much once again had Smackdown presenting the better case. Dolph Ziggler vs Kofi Kingston was gold as they usually manage to deliver a lot of. And the same can be said for Jack Swagger vs Kaval.

However, I'd have to give it to Dolph vs Kofi. Not only did it make Dolph look like the storng champion he's been showing himself as for the past couple of months. But Kofi Kingston still looked great having the loss through interference rather than a clean pin. These two guys together always manage to deliver and create some sort of magic, and they did just that this week once again. That's why I'll have to give them the nod.

Reactions: gd
Coco The Monkey will not be listing every decent match this week as he doesn't have the time. Coco The Monkey will, however, say that Full Metal Mayhem did not meet expectations. Coco The Monkey feels the opening half of the bout did not live up to the opening half of the standard bouts between these two teams and also suggests that the crowd may have been burned out by Williams vs. Styles. Coco The Monkey says TNA needs to structure their cards better and CLEAN UP THEIR ACT!!

Coco The Monkey is choosing Masters vs. Rhodes in a Master Lock Challenge. While Kofi continues to be overrated and sloppy, Coco The Monkey feels that Masters and Rhodes told a simple, concise and compelling story that had far more merit than any Kofi Kingston match ever and the hard on Mickie James gave him on iMPACT this week. Thus, Masters and Rhodes are the winners. BELIEVE THE HYPE!!

Swagger/Kaval for me. Why? Because as I said before, anytime Swagger has a somewhat decent match, I'm picking it, so there ya go. I do want to pick MCMG, I really do, but I didn't even watch Final Resolution and there's no way it was as good some of their previous matches.

I would pick Mickie vs Tara inside a steel cage as the match of the week. Also TNA got its best ratings in a month so the match surely drew a bit to say the least. It was a very fresh main event and a change from the usual fare that we have been seeing for the last few weeks on Impact with The Immortals dominating the main event scene. The girls worked their asses off particularily Tara. Mickie was always a very good performer but I did not rate Tara very highly before this match.

Full metal mayhem was a good match but MCMG's have had better matches with Gen Me. I expected more out of them since this was a gimmick match.

On the WWE side of things the matches were good on Smackdown but I do not connect very well to them because of the lack of storyline on that show. Swagger/Kaval was good but an inconsequental match. And I am just bored of seeing Dolph vs Kofi over and over again. Its like watching the same math over and over again in the case of these two.

This week was some what of a slow week. RAW was great but with little action. There wasn't much that really drew my attention.

However, one of the best tag team matches in recent WWE history really stood out. Kofi Kingston teamed with Kaval to face Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger. These four guys are really a fucking unbelievable. They put week after week pretty damn solid matches. Kaval doing some great flips and kicks in the ring. When he tagged Kofi the crowd loved it. Him doing a spring board onto Dolph was amazing to watch. These four guys are really carrying the mid card divison. Swagger, Ziggler, and Kofi are bringing some prestige back to the Intercontinental Championship. Kofi doing the S.O.S is always great to see. Swagger looking like a beast catching Kaval numerous times mid air and basically throwing him around. Finally, Kofi hitting the Troble in Paradise quickly to get the pin. An exciting match--A very solid match.

A somewhat suprising match with Cody Rhodes vs. Mark Henry. Who didn't think it would be al Mark Henry throwing and dominating Cody's ass? The match actually turned out well. You know when someone is able to make Mark Henry look good, they're a great performer. Cody didn't need to use his heelish ways to win this one. He won clean which was very unexpected. Winning with a diving knee drop was suprising. Good match for the most part.

Next match, Miz vs. Mysterio. The one on Smackdown anyways. The match was pretty solid. I've noticed the Miz does a lot of kicks, stomps and punches. He does a good job at making that unoticable. Rey Mysterio doing his usual flips and hurricaranas. A pretty much back and forth match. It seems Mysterio can't do four or five moves without some sort of counter. A lot of near falls. The Miz seems really over as a heel in this match. Del Rio comes out and Miz tries to roll Mysterio up again like on RAW. Kicks out, Mysterio goes for spring board, knees to stomach pins Mysterio again. Miz works well with Mysterio.

Del Rio and Miz vs. Mysterio and Edge. This match felt a bit weird but was pretty good. What made it better was the ending. Kane coming back to beat the shit outta Edge was awesome. I liked the camra work in the hallway. Then the pyro exploding and I for real jumped. Lol. The match was pretty solid. Edge spearing Miz was kinda shocking. Seemed like they want Edge to look stronger than Miz before the PPV. A somewhat good match.

Again, there wasn't much to choose from. Not a lot of great wrestling matches this week but each show was certainly fun. Smackdown had a lot of great matches this week. But other than that, nothing really stood out.

Match of the Week- Jack Swagger and Dolph Ziggler vs. Kaval and Kofi Kingston on Smackdown.

Match of the Week: Edge and Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio and Miz- This brought a little part of me back to 2002, when Edge and Mysterio were tag team partners and facing Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle for the tag team titles. Am I suggesting that Del Rio and Miz are on Benoit and Angle's level? Not at all. But Edge and Rey Mysterio still showed that unique chemistry that had them putting on 5 star matches on a regular basis. I popped big for the spot where Rey hit the 619 into the spear from Edge, because that was the move they used on several occasions to win matches back in the day. Miz and Del Rio played their parts well, and looked decent in teaming for the first time ever.

I was a little non-plussed by the non-finish, but it would have been a decisive victory for Edge and Rey if not for Kane, which fit the storyline. The pull apart brawl at the end was well-executed as well. I didnt really enjoy anything on Raw or Impact myself, as it seems there was more focus on driving storylines then there was on putting on good wrestling. Kofi and Kaval vs Swagger and Ziggler was another really good tag match, with a finish, but Im slightly biased to the Edge and Rey match.

Call it nostalgia, or because Im a mark for what good tag team wrestling can be when the right pieces are there, but the match of the week for me was Edge and Rey Mysterio vs Alberto Del Rio and Miz.

Yeah it's probably gonna have to be the Dolph Ziggler / Jack Swagger vs Kofi Kingston / Kaval tag team match. Fast paced as usual, these guys always tears it down. And generally it was just a pretty good match that, as usual have everybody looking strong.

I don't think the Smackdown main event tag team match really deserves the vote. Not because it wasn't awesome, but because the ending became such a damn mess. The Kane interference ruined what would've gone on to be a perfectly fine match. Not good enough to contest with the other tag team match, but certainly worth nothing.

But, yeah the victory this week goes to Dolph / Jack vs Kofi / Kaval.

Match Of The Week

WWE Monday Night Raw Standouts

The Miz vs. Rey Mysterio - This was a solid match while it lasted. Wrestling content overall was pretty weak on Raw this past Monday but this was good while it lasted and was the longest match of the night. Both guys looked good overall but the botched bulldog thing looked pretty bad. However, the match did what it was intended to do and that was to generate heat on The Miz by having him go over a beloved babyface and star.

WWE Superstars Standouts

Drew McIntyre vs. Yoshi Tatsu - This was a very fun 15 minute match. It was well paced and competitive with both wrestlers looking strong throughout. Drew McIntyre seems to be injecting more personality into his character now instead of just being this brooding and aggressive Scotsman. McIntyre eventually gets the win with the Future Shock DDT. Nothing overly fantastic here but it was a fun match to watch.

TNA iMPACT! Standouts

Jay Lethal vs. Robbie E. - I'm not all that crazy about either of these guys but this is easily the best X-Division title match, or really X-Division match in and of itself, that I've seen on iMPACT! in a long time. Lethal looked crisp and fluid throughout the match and helped make Robbie E. look pretty decent. I don't see what the big thing about Robbie E. is, I really don't. The match was set at a good pace and is one of the few 10 minute matches I've seen on iMPACT! in many months. Lethal won the match to regain the X-Division Championship, making it his 6th reign overall and his 3rd reign in the span of 3 months.

WWE Friday Night SmackDown! Standouts

Kofi Kingston & Kaval vs. Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger - This was a very fun tag team match to start SD! off with Friday. All four wrestlers got opportunities to show off some in the ring and the match worked to build up some final hype for their ladder match at TLC. Kaval continues to impress me in the ring and the crowd was super hot for Kofi. The springboard clothesline he hit on Ziggler looked fantastic. The height he got and the distance just really made the move pop. Kofi & Kaval pulled out the win at a little past the 11 minute mark. It was just a fun, high energy tag match.

The Miz vs. Rey Mysterio - Damn fine match here and far better than the outing that they had on Raw. The Miz looked like a star in the ring and I honestly do believe he's stepped up his work in the ring. I'm not saying that he still doesn't have a few rough edges here and there, but the man's able to put on highly entertaining matches. Both of them looked strong during the match and The Miz did look like resiliant during his match by taking some of Mysterio's best. The Miz got the win, an almost clean win at that, at the 13.5 minute mark. There was some minor interference from Del Rio but nothing that ultimatly cost Rey the match. The Miz got a strong win over a former World Champion and this one was ultimately stronger than his win on Raw.

Match Of The Week: The Miz vs. Rey Mysteiro on SD! - The match of the week has to go with The Miz/Mysterio rematch on SD!. I think that this match helped out The Miz a lot as Mysterio is a big name, a beloved babyface and has been World Champion on two occassions. The match in and of itself was fluid, it was at a good pace and it made both guys look good without taking anything away. The Miz won the match and he absolutely needed to win it as a loss, even on a non-title match right now, would only serve to hurt him as champion right now. The match was given enough time and was able to generate heat for The Miz as well as Alberto Del Rio while serving to hype the Mystero/Del Rio feud. There wasn't really much to speak of on Raw this past week, the match with Yoshi & McIntyre was a fun match but it was on the D-show, Jay Lethal vs. Robbie E. was a good solid match though the X-Division title doesn't really mean that much right now and I just wasn't feeling any other match on the show that night.

Swagger continues to have solid matches so I'm going to have to continue the streak. The All-American American American delivered again this week, proving why he is deserving of another World Title run in the future. Nice to see Kaval get a win as well. He's such a cute little guy.

Match Of The Week

WWE Tables, Ladders & Chairs standouts

John Morrison vs. Sheamus - Helluva match from JoMo & Casper. It was a highly competitive and physical match up that might well be looked upon as the the breakthrough performace of JoMo's career. This was a match in which I wasn't sure what the outcome would be as it seemed entirely plausible that either guy would win. Morrison has recieved a big push over the past few months, has had very memorable matches against Sheamus in which he held a clean victory. Sheamus also had a clean victory over Morrison & Sheamus has been a 2 time WWE Champion. Morrison did get the win around the 20 minute mark, becoming #1 contender for the WWE Championship. Great match and I'm glad that Morrison got the win.

The Miz vs. Randy Orton - I thought this was a very fun match and was an extremely important match for The Miz. I fully expected him to win here and he did come out with the victory in a nice heel fashion by using his sidekick, Alex Riley, and ramming him into Orton, thereby putting Orton through a table. The Miz retained the WWE Championship and he needed to retain here otherwise everything they'd done with him over the past month would've been for nothing.

Kane vs. Edge vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio - Extremely good match here and I'm glad that the WWE went in this direction. There were some big spots in the match, with the biggest being Del Rio going off of the ladder and through some tables at ringside. Every match on the card had some sort of stipulation, except the tag title match, and I thought it helped make the ppv better. Edge got the win at the 20 minute mark. Very competitive match, all four guys worked hard and I think that Alberto Del Rio showed that he can hang in big match situations.

WWE Monday Night Raw standouts

Daniel Bryan vs. William Regal - This was an extremely good 5 minute match and had to appeal to anyone that enjoys seeing two great mat technicians wrestle. I'd love to see these two get 15 minutes sometimes. There was just some really fun and good mat wrestling that went on in the match and I liked the teacher vs. student aspect of this match. The outcome was never in doubt with Bryan getting the win via the LaBell Lock but Bryan continues to build credibility week in and week out.

John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler - This match was SO MUCH better than what I was expecting. I expected Ziggler to be slaughtered in about 90 seconds but he looked like a star against John Cena and gave him a very competitive match. Cena & Ziggler have great chemistry together and there was actually a point in the match where I thought Ziggler might, just might, pull out a heel victory. Cena did get the win in about 14 minutes but this may well have been a breakthrough performance for Dolph Ziggler as he gave the top star in the company all he wanted.

Randy Orton, John Morrison & Jerry The King Lawler vs. The Miz, Sheamus & Alex Riley - Very fun six man tag main event that kind of ties together a lot of rivalries and storylines seen on Raw over the past month. Even Jerry Lawler was quite good for what they used him for here. John Morrison showed a lot of heart and toughness in the match, which will only help him as his feud with The Miz starts to develop. Orton, King & JoMo get the win around 15 minutes after Orton hits The Miz with an RKO, allowing Jerry Lawler to get the pin. Just a good, old school six man tag in which the heels get paid back for all their various misdeeds.

WWE SmackDown! standouts

The Miz vs. Randy Orton - Great opening match for Tuesday's live episode of SmackDown! and I liked it more than their match at TLC. The Miz looked strong against Orton and gave him a competitive match. Orton gets the win after Riley comes in and stops the count after Orton hits an RKO. I would've preferred that The Miz got the win here but at least they didn't go with a clean pinfall victory, which I was worried they'd do since this was a non-title match.

Kofi Kingston & Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio & Jack Swagger - High energy tag team match here with four guys that have really good chemistry together. Kofi & Rey had the fans hot for this match and I honestly do believe that Kofi Kingston should be in the main event picture sometime next year. Everyone got an opportunity to show off some in the match and everyone looked good. Kofi & Rey got the win at the 14 minute mark. Just a fun tag match with a lot of energy.

John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler - Basically take everything I said about their match on Raw and put it here. Another great performance from Ziggler, even though he didn't win. Nobody expected him to, but he still looked like a star even though he lost.

WWE Superstars standouts

Beth Phoenix & Kelly Kelly vs. Team LayCool - This was the main event for tonight's episode of Superstars and, to be quite honest, it was actually a pretty damn good match. Kelly was honestly pretty decent in there and she did a good job of selling and brought a lot of energy to the match. Layla & Michelle did their thing and spent much of the match beating up on Kelly. Beth Phoenix was solid in her role and looked dominant. The match actually went about 12.5 minutes and ended when Beth hit Layla with the Glam Slam to pick up a win. Honestly, just an overall quite solid match and a pleasant surprise.

TNA iMPACT! standouts

Douglas Williams vs. AJ Styles - The match in and of itself was very good, a great effort on the part of two guys that know how to wrestle very well. What hurt this match was the laughable fact that it was an Iron Man match with a 15 minute time limit. That's an oxymoron in and of itself. The time limit expired with both having a single fall apiece so the ref gave another 5 minutes, but neither scored another fall. So the match ended in a draw, further rendering the Iron Man stipulation of the match worthless and downright stupid. However, if you look past the assholish booking of Vince Russo here, you have to respect the effort of Styles & Williams as they put on an entertaining match.

Match Of The Week: John Morrison vs. Sheamus - This was overall just the most fun and overall competitive match I've seen this week. John Morrison is a great athlete and can really shine in this type of setting and Sheamus did a good job in keeping up with the much smaller and more overall athletic man. It was a great, hard fought ladder match that may be seen years from now as the breakout performance of John Morrison's career. Whether or not he'll be a firm fixture in the main event scene is unknown at this time, but it was a great match nonetheless.

What a week for any wrestling fan. From reviews of TLC, I believe it was one of the best PPVs of the year. RAW was amazing this week as well as the first ever live edition of Smackdown. TNA also had a lot of action this week. A very good week for any show. Again, I did not see TLC so I can't comment on those matches.

First match, William Regal vs. Daniel Bryan on RAW. This match was short but jizz flowed all over the LD Monday during this match. That can only mean one thing, it was amazing. Their match was a classic teacher vs. student. Their match started out with a lot of technical lock ups and what not. Bryan doees his usual kicks/back flips then Regal hits the forearm stoping momentum that was built. The crowd seemed really into this. The best part of the match was the series of European uppercuts with the classic "yay/boo" chant happening. William Ragal tries an underlock suplex Bryan reverses into Labelle Lock, Regal tapps. A very exciting match. It flew by. Regal acting like a face at the end giving Bryan a clap or two. I'm begging the WWE, give these two a propper feud.

Next match may be a little suprising but Dolph Ziggler vs John Cena from RAW. Now what influenced my liking for this match was the best promo on RAW in quite some time. Vickie wasn't even allowed to talk because of the phenomenal heat she was drawing. By the time she started talking, I realized gow much time was wasted which I had no problem with in this case. Then John Cena and Jerry Lawler just straight up tearing Vickie a new one with their jokes. Haven't seen this side of John Cena since his five questions WWE.com show. Very funny. Match- a very good Cena match. Cena drawing the crowd into the match while Dolph kept up the in ring action. Dolph had a lot of exposure on RAW hitting a lot of great moves that I haven't seen from anyone in the WWE. Hits the jumping leg-face buster for a two. Vickie interfers in the match, Ziggler getting the belt reversed into the AA was a typical end but a great match from both men.

On Smackdown we saw another great collision of mid carders. Jack Swagger and Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio and Kofi Kingston. This match as expected was an amazing ecounter between four guys who can go. Alberto and Rey start it off doing their normal back and forth. Del Rio has Rey against his knee and we see Mysterio's face. We see a double suicide dive from Kofi Kingston and Rey Mysterio which was awesome. Kofi comes in hoping all over doing a spring board into the ring which is typical Kofi. Rey comes in does some awesome hurricaranas and flips. Double 619 almost connects but fails. Swagger gets up, awesome trouble in paradise and a splash from Rey Rey. No shame in losing this match. Jack Swagger is a great mid carder and will do amazing things in that divison. Can't wait for more Kofi/Swagger.

Next match, Dolph Ziggler vs. John Cena...again, but I didn't care because of their previous showing. This time we get Vickie to add some needed heat for Dolph. The Live crowd sounded awesome. Dolph beats Cena down at the start of the match. Vickie gets in and stands on Cena's head but he lifts her off which was hilarious. Ziggler looking great once again in the match with Cena. It's awesome to see him getting a push like he is. He will be a great champion one day. This match was basically like Monday's version with different order of great moves. The match felt as if it was over. Cena does his typical spinning powerbomb/5 knuckle Shuffle. Yep it's over, suprisingly Dolph gets out of the AA. Hits the leg face buster. I was pulling for Dolph again. Gets a two, but Cena locks in the STF for the win. This was another great showing from Dolph. Cena deserves the credit too. No one would've given this match a second look if not for Cena. So no one is allowed to say "Dolph carried Cena". An awesome match.

Last match with Iron man Match rules, Douglas Williams vs. AJ Styles for the TV Title. Their match at Final Resolution felt better than this but this match is damn sure worth mentioning. Doug and AJ work well together. Very very technical moves start off the match. A lot of stomping. I felt this match was really slow until they announced the four minute mark. Styles got the first win with the Styles Clash during commercial. With a little time left Williams hits the German which is one of my favorite moves. He gets the pin. We get a five minute extension on the match. Typical stuff. AJ going to the top and Willaims looks as if he going for the German. Oh now they're just wasting time. After ten seconds of stalling Doug gets the super back drop and the time runs out. A great match but with no one winning. I again felt as if this match was not as good as their Final Resolution match but an over all great match.

A lot of great matches this week. Each show was action packed and were fun. The match that really stood out from the other stand outs was the Dolph Ziggler and John Cena RAW match. It's not often you see a rookie like Dolph Ziggler being booked into a match with the top face. Usually when something like that happens its a squash match type of deal. Dolph held his own in this match. He proved he can surely hang with the big boys. So yeah;

Match of the Week: John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler (RAW)

Morrison/Sheamus, for sure. More than likely is Morrison's best match ever. Certainly better than that one against Ret on Smackdown awhile ago. These two work surprisingly well together and the WWE has been able to set up Miz v. Morrison for the World Title without making it seem that far fetched. Impressive.

Gotta go with the masses. John Morrison vs Sheamus was pretty damn good. I don't like him, but it really h as to win this one, it's hard to give it to any of the others.

However, I would like to at least mention John Cena vs Wade Barrett. Which I think was pretty good considering the whole stipulation that more or less screamed for a bad match. But they managed to pull through, and actually make it one of the better matches of the night.

And of course, Dolph Ziggler vs John Cena. Both on RAW and Smackdown, both were great, very back and forth. And like Jack have noted, it was two matches that also had me sold on Dolph actually being able to pull it off. But obviously he didn't, but he didn't get hurt whatsoever from it, considering he hung in there with the top face of the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back