Best "One-Two Punch" on PPV?

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
Listening to the Bryan & Vinny's show and they reviewed Wrestlemania 10's huge one-two punch in Bret Hart vs Owen Hart and Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels. While they refused to talk about any of the other matches of the show, they kept going on and on about how great these two matches were. The rest of the show may suck for them, but that one-two punch for them is enough to make them sorta love the show. It got me thinking, what is the best one-two punch on PPV? Ignore the rest of the card, regardless of how good or bad they may be, but which show has the best two matches that blows every other PPV out of the water?

Instantly, my mind started thinking of some of the more famous ones. Obviously, there's that Wrestlemania 10. Some could say Steve Austin vs The Rock and TLC 2 from Wrestlemania 17. The workrate may not be comparable, but Andre the Giant vs Hulk Hogan and Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage was a hell of a one-two punch.

To further attempt to create some discussion, how much does two great matches mean to you for an overall show? Take Wrestlemania 10 for example, the rest of the show was pretty dreadful. Were those two matches enough to make you love the PPV?

Honourable Mention
  • No Mercy 2002 - Brock vs Taker & Tag Team finals
  • SummerSlam 2002 - Brock vs Rock & HBK vs HHH
  • Judgement Day 2000 - Jericho vs Benoit & HHH vs Rock
  • No Way Out 2002 - Rock vs Angle & HHH vs Austin
  • Royal Rumble 2004 - HHH vs HBK & Rumble Match
  • Royal Rumble 2000 - HHH vs Cactus Jack & Rumble Match
  • SummerSlam 2011 - Orton vs Christian & Punk vs Cena
  • WrestleMania 14 - Taker vs Kane & Austin vs HBK
Special 1-2-3-4-5 Punch
WresleMania XIX
5. Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho (a dream match on a silver platter)
4. Triple H vs Booker T (Great WHC match, this one gets downplayed basically because it had to follow HBK and Jericho)
3. Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon (Highly anticipated and well built match)
2. The Rock vs Steve Austin (The last time that would happen)
1. Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle (Arguably one of the best WM main events ever)
---------------------------------------
Phew, I know I have covered a lot of WWE especially from 2000 onwards, and I know there must be loads more, so if you could help me out with some from the 90's and also WCW and TNA?
Or if you think some of my honourable mentions should be the best then please do say.

The ppv that comes to my mind is Wrestlemania 21, I just can't figure out which match to pair with Angle v. HBK which is my favorite match ever, I could go with Eddie v. Mysterio in what I believe is the best opening match to any WM, or the first Money in the Bank match, or Orton v. Taker in what I think is Taker's best WM match and the only one I actually believed someone had a legit shot of beating him. I know it doesn't fit the mold of two matches carrying a ppv but it feels like it to me just because the beginning of the ppv was so great and the end was so bad with Triple H and Batista being a bit of a dud, Cena and JBL sucked, and lets not even talk about watching Big Show in a diaper. The end of the ppv leave you feeling like it sucked, but the beginning has three great matches and the first time we got to see MITB.

Although they've had a lot of great 1-2 punches I will go for a lesser known one where the 2 matches came back to back which was No Mercy '08.

The 2 matches in question were HHH vs Jeff Hardy for the WWE title (probably Jeff's best showing as a singles competitor in a regular 1 on 1 match) and Chris Jericho vs. HBK in a ladder match for the World title. I remember being pretty disappointed throughout the entire PPV, then I saw HHH vs. Jeff Hardy and my god that match was amazing. There were plenty of great moments and near falls with a great ending when Jeff nails the Swanton bomb goes to pin on his back from being so out of it only for HHH to roll him up and steal the victory. This was a great match only to be 1-uped by the culmination match of 1 of the best feuds in years IMO. HBK vs. Jericho was an old school feud you just don't see anymore and was finished off with a classic match that one match of the year by the Wrestler Observers Newsletter. Just a classic match that was a great back and forth contest with Jericho pulling off the victory.

All in all there may be great ones but this one always stuck out to me as a great showing by four wrestlers.

Wrestlemania III without a doubt had the best one two punch. You have Randy Savage vs Riicky Steamboat in the greatest match in the history of wrestling and the most anticipated match in the history of wrestling with Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. This was the mania that set the standard

Wrestlemania 21 for Angle vs. HBK & Orton vs. Taker. Those two are easy to pick for the best "one-two punch" of that PPV cause they were both Raw vs. SD matches. They were both great matches and imo their best WM matches in each man's career. In Orton vs. Taker, Orton looked like he could actually the streak, he made a believer out of me which I don't see too often with the other victims of the streak except for HBK at WM 25. HBK & Angle stole the show and I loved the ending where HBK makes countless attempts to break out of the Ankle Lock but Kurt keeps it locked in until Shawn taps out. Shawn looked like a warrior who would never give up in the Ankle Lock.

Also Rey vs. Eddie was a great opener.

Despite a few shitty matches on the card, WM 21 is one of my favourite WM cards of all time just cause of those three matches.

What about Turning Point 2009

Angle vs. Wolfe
Styles vs. Daniels vs. Joe

Can't really go past that as a one two punch. Just when you think you've seent he match of the year, the Unbreakable 3 do one better... Awesome stuff!!!

Wm 20. Triple threat match and the wwe title match was some of the best matches Wm has ever had for title gold.
To see benoit and Eddie at the end of Wm in msg is a classic but will never be seen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back