AFL "12"

What gives?

The pre-season has started and no one wants to talk about it?

Do I actually need to do some posting to get this thread noticed?
I don't want to do that..... *sadface*

Well then, after watching most of round 1 of the NAB cup, was there anything odd that caught your eye?

Were there any players that stood out? should they be in my dreamteam? :p

Did any of the new coaches change anything about their playstyles/gameplans?

here's my take on the games so far.

One thing that caught my eye was how terrible Israel Folau played, three handballs and three frees against, -3 dt points, bastard.
GWS showed some fight, I know Gold Coast did that as well last year and still got smacked every game, but it was good to see the young team fighting for the ball, it added excitement - i found myself supporting them in their two games because of their attitude around the contests, they looked like they NEEDED these wins.

players that stood out in a good way -
-gerrick weedon (west coast), the talk shows/websites are going crazy over this dude now.
-tom bugg (GWS), composed mofo, plays against collingwood and acts like it's just another day at the office, in my dreamteam now.
-brad sheppard (west coast), sweeping half back, stepped up, looks like a new leon davis type running defender.
-peter yagmoor (collingwood), this dude rocked it pretty well, looks like a tough nut.
-luke parker (sydney), he will be a gun this year, quote that if you must, it's true though.
-sam reid (sydney), sydney just signed him on a 5 year contract, tonight he showed me why, he will be a better version of nick reiwoldt.
-ahmed saad (st kilda), this guy will be able to do some freaky shit in the future, otherwise i will be the saad one. (wow that was horrible)
-zephy skinner (bulldogs), the guy's a freak, watch his game again and tell me otherwise.

conca would be there too if he wasn't suspended, that bitch is out of my dreamteam now.

I was watching all the games, and only while writing this response did i actually realise that the teams had new coaches, I think it has something to do with how nowadays there is a huge team of coaches, and not just the one guy running every department. I thought there was going to be change, oh well, can't be right all the time.

I totally forgot about this thread, too focussed on dreamteam ;).

Anyways it was good to see the Eagles win both their games in the nab cup. With Lecras down it's going to be a hard season, however the 3 guys that could of taken his spot did very well. Josh Hill had an awesome game. He was my front runner to take the spot and he did evreything well. He provided pressure, gave us run the forward half of the ground and gave us some silky smooth skills. Ashton Hams did a wonderful as well with his hard ball gets and great scoring assists. Gerrick Weedon though was amazing for someone who hasn't had much playing time at AFL level. It is going to be very hard to seperate these guys but it doesn't matter because Eagles are going to win the flag this year ;). No Lecras, no worries!

Hahahahaha, I don't blame you for being focused on dreamteam, you're going to have to focus HARD if you want to beat the Hair Club For Men :p

The Eagles can go pretty damn well without Lecras, I am tipping Masten to take the midfield role Lecras was going to get, he showed some promise and strength in his games. I still think/hope for dt sake that Gerrick will take the vacant forward spot, he'll be a master pick if he can keep his form up, and for a new guy he looks pretty hard to stop when he gets going.

Did you watch the gold coast games?
three words; Aaron Fucking Hall. Best on ground, showed a ton of class, and is showing his dedication to get into my dt bench :p

hahahahahaha I have been concentrating on my Dream Team too. ;) Gonna win that beautiful car this year. I can smell it already.

Anyway did anyone watch the Carlton, Port/Adelaide games? I know Carlton weren't full strength but boy did they struggle without Juddy. Maybe they were just having an off day but the way they played just wasn't the carlton i had hoped for. Hopefully they play worse this year though as i hate them with a passion :)

West coast will fill in that LeCras position quite well with the talent shown in the NAB cup match. Weeden could fill in the foward line quite beautifully.

Now to a bit of DT talk
James Magner- he's currently a rookie at Melbourne, but the way he played on the weekend showed me that he could and should be elevated to the senior list. He killed it on the weekend. At only $85,800 if he's elevated he will become a KrundellPeople.

Giles- What a superstar, Everyone already has him but cmon, he racked up the points last weekend. Gonna be a gun. *Knock on Wood*

AND Weedon- WHAT A GUN! need i say more?

I'm finally excited this weekend to see a real full length game of footy without silly rules. I'm driving out with an avid Saints fan to Wangaratta just to see my mighty Bombers play the saints.

IT'S BACK AND I'M LOVING EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!

hahahahahaha I have been concentrating on my Dream Team too. ;) Gonna win that beautiful car this year. I can smell it already.

Anyway did anyone watch the Carlton, Port/Adelaide games? I know Carlton weren't full strength but boy did they struggle without Juddy. Maybe they were just having an off day but the way they played just wasn't the carlton i had hoped for. Hopefully they play worse this year though as i hate them with a passion :)

I watched the carlton games...... i go for carlton..... i was in tears :(
nab cup never really matters to the top 4 sides though (hopefully :p), i dont think we have progressed a round in the nab cup since 2005 or something, all the top 4 sides usually do is give all their youngsters the chance to step up. That said, our youngsters suck major balls, only lucas and curnow actually did anything worth noting, buckley was alright, but nowhere near good enough to consider him in the best 22, lucky that our team has no one that is near retiring yet.

Now to a bit of DT talk
James Magner- he's currently a rookie at Melbourne, but the way he played on the weekend showed me that he could and should be elevated to the senior list. He killed it on the weekend. At only $85,800 if he's elevated he will become a KrundellPeople.

scored 70 over two games, against gold coast (who were pretty good actually), and brisbane. he tackled a lot, which is great for dreamteam, and got enough possessions to be considered for consideration in the Hair Club For Men. Downside is that he's a midfielder, my team's midfield is pretty good with 200k left so instead of downgrading i'm looking for a midprice guy to go along with, dont want to take any chances on anyone that won't play, my league was top 20 last year and I'm actually trying for the car this year.

Johnno Brown, are you stupid or are you just too courageous? He has yet again been injured in his face and could be facing his third face surgery. Wow, he definately has to change his gameplan if he wants to keep his career going on. I love him as a player but please Browny, we want you out there!

How do you think a basketballer would go playing Aussie Rules?
The speeds there, but a basketball court is way smaller then a football oval. I guess if he can kick well he could be an ok player, but Basketball to the AFL seems like a big leap.

I dont think a basketball player will do too bad at all. I mean look at Brogan he played for the 36ers in the 98 Championship and he was pretty good footy player. As far as this new player goes if he focuses on his fitness, marking and kicking then there's no reason why he cant be a success.

As far as my Ladder goes, it'll be something like this:
1. Hawthorn
2. West Coast
3. Collingwood
4. Carlton
5. Geelong
6. Fremantle
7. Essendon
8. Adelaide
9. Sydney
10. St Kilda
11. Melbourne
12. Richmond
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Port
15. North Melbourne
16. Brisbane
17. Gold Coast
18. GWS

Now I am pretty confident that the ladder will look nothing like this come the end of the season. But I am predicting a couple of big things to happen throughout the year.

Firstly Adelaide are going to start the season fantastically before dropping off mid season and barely scraping into the finals (I'm an Adelaide fan :p)

Secondly Collingwood won't be anywhere near as dominant and there will be off field controversy when Pendlebury is announced he is leaving the club at the end of the season.

The dynasty that is Geelong will slowly begin to dwindle and a majority of teams which should achieve success this season will not. (St Kilda, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne)

Finally the Hawks will win the flag!!

I'm finally excited this weekend to see a real full length game of footy without silly rules. I'm driving out with an avid Saints fan to Wangaratta just to see my mighty Bombers play the saints.

IT'S BACK AND I'M LOVING EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!

I feel so sorry for you right now, did you get there before it got cancelled? worst part is that the saints get the points..

I did take your tip on "the magnet" James Magner though after much consideration (the game v collingwood). I did some research as well, turns out he averaged the most disposals in the entire VFL last year, he's 24 as well, he was brought in for the sole purpose of replacing scully, and he is my new favourite melbourne player.

he is this year's barlow, dreamteam bargain, silly me thinking my midfield was good without him :p

Khalifa said:
Johnno Brown, are you stupid or are you just too courageous? He has yet again been injured in his face and could be facing his third face surgery. Wow, he definately has to change his gameplan if he wants to keep his career going on. I love him as a player but please Browny, we want you out there!

johnathon's going to look like terminator by the end of the year, maybe he should just stick to wearing a helmet or a pillow, OR he could pay the other team to wear soft kneepads so they dont hurt the guy.
stupidity + courageousness = scrambled eggs for a brain, he should concentrate on the running part of his game, he's already perfected the crashing the pack aspect of footy, maybe he could finally win his brownlow if he perfected his aerobic game.

Ooooooh, I'm thinking of MAYBE trying to consider setting up a Wrestlezone footy tipping thread where i can keep a tally going with everyone's footy tips for the weekends throughout the year, OR our own dreamteam league (probably a tad late to get the numbers for that though).
I would like to know if anyone's interested or if anyone else has any suggestions to do with something interactive for the footy fans on this site.

Yeah Eagles! We are in the NAB cup grand final baby. Yeah I know it doesn't mean much but it is still bettter for a supporter to feel this compared to what a Carlton supporter is feeling now. There was an interesting article in the paper today which suggested we rest Coxy in the second half of the game. That shouldn't happen, he should just rest the whole game. Nic Nat and Lynchy are more than capable to handle the ruck and we even have Lycett who can fill in. Cox has played the most time out of any Eagle this pre season apart from Matty Priddis which shouldn't be happening for a player that just turned 30. Regardless I am excited for this weeks game.

Yeah Eagles! We are in the NAB cup grand final baby. Yeah I know it doesn't mean much but it is still bettter for a supporter to feel this compared to what a Carlton supporter is feeling now.

Tears....so many tears....
How does a side go from fifth to losing every nab cup game, saying they're going to get their act together for the next game, to getting slaughtered by Brisbane, BRISBANE?!?!?!?
At this rate we are going to lose to the tigers round 1, and nobody, NOBODY, wants to see a happy Richmond supporter...

Don't worry about the grand final result, we won in 2005 and got the wooden spoon that year, it's very hard to predict the future based off a pre season warm up cup. They should ask Cox whether or not he wants to play this week and base their decision on that, in one way he may want to play with the pressure of winning once before the actual season starts, but if he just can't be stuffed then they should respect that, you said it, the dude's 30 years old and the most important player at the eagles, can't afford any injury, ruined freo last year when sandi went down. It gives the other ruck's a good opportunity to shine as well, but in the end it's Johnny Worsfold's choice.

We're the pride of South Australia, We're the mighty Adelaide Crows
Whoo finally get to wipe the dust off of our trophy cabinet for the first time in 10 years. Even if it is the Mickey Mouse cup a win's a win, but in saying that Eagles did take Cox and Gaff off at halftime and had a few injuries.

Either way Crows have been looking good in pre season and whilst I don't expect them to make a huge impact this year I think they will do a shit load better then last year. The only thing I can see being the difference between them and the top teams is execution. Too many wayward kicks and poor decisions will cost them in big games. But in terms of aggression and stamina they "should" be a whole lot better.

Ooooooh, I'm thinking of MAYBE trying to consider setting up a Wrestlezone footy tipping thread where i can keep a tally going with everyone's footy tips for the weekends throughout the year, OR our own dreamteam league (probably a tad late to get the numbers for that though).
I would like to know if anyone's interested or if anyone else has any suggestions to do with something interactive for the footy fans on this site.

If you do manage to set anything up (tipping, dreamteam, etc) I'll join.

Reactions: M
OK so I just made a dreamteam league just for wrestlezone people (nawww, I'm so nice). The code is 246086, you guys can invite anyone from the forums if you want, or, because it's only a week until the season starts and we need numbers (It's just me right now), you can invite anyone you think is good enough for the league.

As for tipping, I'll post the round 1 games in this thread only, if there's enough people who want to do it I'll make another thread solely for the tipping, I will tally the scores up and whoever wins will go down in history as the guy who won the footy tipping thread.

OK, now if you're going to play, do the tips in this (or a similar) format.
the game; Richmond v Carlton with your winner in bold (putting an X next to your winner is cool too)

the games, and my choices;
GWS v Sydney
Richmond v Carlton
Hawthorn v Collingwood
Melbourne v Brisbane
Gold Coast v Adelaide
North Melbourne v Essendon
Fremantle v Geelong
Bulldogs v West Coast
Port Adelaide v St Kilda

I am a bit delayed haven't had much time lately, but it was pretty cool to have a sydney darby in AFL. Honestly did we expect a different result, i did find it quite disrespectful and disencouraging that TAB sportsbet had odds allowing bets that would see the Giants lose by a big margin. I know it was expected but still rubs me the wrong way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back