2013 NHL Thread

No posts since my last on December 26th? For shame, WZ hockey fans. For shame!

A couple of notes:

• The Rangers have been trading first place in the NHL with the Blackhawks and Canucks for the last handful of games, but don't worry habs, I'll be sure to wait until the end of the season to rub all that rhetoric of yours back in your face (about us not being a good team and all).

• The Winter Classic game was fuckin' incredible. Not only to come back from being down 2-0, not only because Mike f'n Rupp (of all people) scored the early two to answer back, not only because Brad Richards scored the game winner, but because it was the god damn Winter Classic! What a tremendous event. So glad we finally got to be a part of it!

Actually, more is needed. You're likely to get flagged for spam there, Teller.

Besides, your two words are easily trumped by mine: FIRST PLACE, as in first place in the division, first place in the Eastern Conference, and first place in the National Hockey League. The answer ain't the Pittsburgh Penguins, either, it's the NEW YORK RANGERS, who won again last night in a sweet OT victory off a goal from the league's second highest goal-scoring leader: Marián Gáborík.

• The Rangers have been trading first place in the NHL with the Blackhawks and Canucks for the last handful of games, but don't worry habs, I'll be sure to wait until the end of the season to rub all that rhetoric of yours back in your face (about us not being a good team and all).

Funny, I don't ever recall saying that they weren't a good team. Clearly not as good as he defending Stanley Cup Champions are of course, but they should be a playoff team, with a little luck ;)

And for the record, the Bruins are one point behind the Rangers with a game in hand. Let's not be too quick to leave them out of discussions of first place in the NHL. There may just be a little more rhetoric heading your way in the very near future.

By the way, I didn't catch last night's scores. How did the Bruins make out :)

rangers are on a roll right now. they were in first place going into the winter classic (what a game!) without their best D-man marc stall. now hes back, Dubinsky was doing terrible now seems to be getting back on track. Avery is down in the minors and im ok with that b/c Rupp is the man right now! 2 goals in the winter classic, hard physical play, and actually gets decent playing time. Boston though is on a hot streak right now. Philly, Boston and NYR are on fire right now. i do feel like NJ and isles may sneak up on ppl though. not for the top seeds but maybe 7/8 seeds. Moulson and tavares on the same line can be a challenge for any team. they just need Al Monytoya back asap. and NJ is well..... always a threat IMO

Bruins beat the flames 9-0

Funny, I don't ever recall saying that they weren't a good team. Clearly not as good as he defending Stanley Cup Champions are of course, but they should be a playoff team, with a little luck ;)

And for the record, the Bruins are one point behind the Rangers with a game in hand. Let's not be too quick to leave them out of discussions of first place in the NHL. There may just be a little more rhetoric heading your way in the very near future.

By the way, I didn't catch last night's scores. How did the Bruins make out :)

Clearly? Clearly the Rangers are in first place and the Bruins are not, so maybe it's not as clear as you think, eh? Time to get those eyes checked again, holmes!

All I know is that the Rangers match up pretty damn well against the Bruins. Both teams are nearly identical. The Bruins have more scoring from the blue line and the Rangers better forward depth, but otherwise they're both teams that focus tremendously on defense and rely on all-star goaltenders to carry the team. We'll have to wait until the teams play one another to determine who's really top dog in the east.

And are you seriously gloating about smashing the Calgary Flames? That team is barely an NHL-caliber club. That's like pushing over a fourth grader and then parading around like you're world champion because you beat someone who never stood a chance.

And are you seriously gloating about smashing the Calgary Flames? That team is barely an NHL-caliber club. That's like pushing over a fourth grader and then parading around like you're world champion because you beat someone who never stood a chance.

I guess you are right somewhat on this point. It's probably simply due to my other discussions on here with you pertaining to wrestling matters. I'm used to seeing the organization I prefer doing the pushing, while the group you prefer represents the helpless fourth grader ;)

Kidding aside, the Rangers are off to a tremendous start. Fully expected them to have a reasonably decent season, but there's no way I saw them sitting at the top of the pile at this stage of the season. I've been very much enjoying this season, seeing the Bruins excelling, and seeing the Canadiens near the bottom. I hope both the Bruins and the Rangers continue to do well, it would be great to see them face off in the Eastern Conference finals. Imagine the rhetoric then!

I guess you are right somewhat on this point. It's probably simply due to my other discussions on here with you pertaining to wrestling matters. I'm used to seeing the organization I prefer doing the pushing, while the group you prefer represents the helpless fourth grader ;)

Kidding aside, the Rangers are off to a tremendous start. Fully expected them to have a reasonably decent season, but there's no way I saw them sitting at the top of the pile at this stage of the season. I've been very much enjoying this season, seeing the Bruins excelling, and seeing the Canadiens near the bottom. I hope both the Bruins and the Rangers continue to do well, it would be great to see them face off in the Eastern Conference finals. Imagine the rhetoric then!

Joking aside, that'd be one helluva matchup. Could go to seven games, easily.

Two teams that rely so heavily on superior goaltending and strong defense? Wow.

Joking aside, that'd be one helluva matchup. Could go to seven games, easily.

And if it went to a Game Seven, I think I might have to take a trip to see it. After all, home ice advantage would be a pivotal factor for a game of this magnitude. I'd love to see the home team win this seventh game, live. After all, I hear Boston is a beautiful city in the spring ;)

I hear the same. Especially about their golf courses. Is it true Chara had to have all his clubs tailor made for him since he's a four hundred foot Ogre?

Odd, though — how are you getting home ice sitting behind the Rangers? There ain't that many transplant B's fans in NYC!

I spose it's time for me to jump in. For those of you who don't know me/remember me/whatever. I am a Devils fan, but more so a hockey fan and am more than willing to watch any team with the exception of the Flyers. HATE PHILLY. Hope to have some good hockey covos here. Anyway...

Pretty good season shaping up in the NHL. The standings don't look much like what I figured they would in the East. I still saw Washington being the beast of the East, but clearly I overestimated them so far this year. The West is pretty much what I expected so far with the exception of the Kings, I thought they'd be a bit higher. Since I live in NJ I get to watch the three NY area teams. Rangers certainly look the best of the three and a real contender this year.

They finally got someone to compliment Gaborik and of course an impressive defense and very impressive goaltender go a looooooooong way. As a Devils fan I know this as that is what the Devils were built around. Now though that's not the case and frankly I'm not a big fan of the direction the Devils are going in with Kovalsuck seemingly being the focus of the team and clearly that is not working in getting us back into the playoffs. Anyway I digress about that.

To chime in about a Bruins-Rangers playoff series. Right now I think it would be an incredibly brutal series. Both goalies are simply awesome and both defenses are incredibly tough to beat when healthy. Realistically I think that entire series would come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes. It would certainly be an exciting one from a hockey fan stand point as well.

I spose it's time for me to jump in. For those of you who don't know me/remember me/whatever. I am a Devils fan, but more so a hockey fan and am more than willing to watch any team with the exception of the Flyers. HATE PHILLY. Hope to have some good hockey covos here. Anyway...

Pretty good season shaping up in the NHL. The standings don't look much like what I figured they would in the East. I still saw Washington being the beast of the East, but clearly I overestimated them so far this year. The West is pretty much what I expected so far with the exception of the Kings, I thought they'd be a bit higher. Since I live in NJ I get to watch the three NY area teams. Rangers certainly look the best of the three and a real contender this year.

They finally got someone to compliment Gaborik and of course an impressive defense and very impressive goaltender go a looooooooong way. As a Devils fan I know this as that is what the Devils were built around. Now though that's not the case and frankly I'm not a big fan of the direction the Devils are going in with Kovalsuck seemingly being the focus of the team and clearly that is not working in getting us back into the playoffs. Anyway I digress about that.

To chime in about a Bruins-Rangers playoff series. Right now I think it would be an incredibly brutal series. Both goalies are simply awesome and both defenses are incredibly tough to beat when healthy. Realistically I think that entire series would come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes. It would certainly be an exciting one from a hockey fan stand point as well.

What's funniest about that is that the guy they brought in to compliment Gáborík hasn't even ended up playing with him (Richards). Gáborík developed chemistry (that he showed potential with last season) with Stepan and Anisimov. Richards has really started to find a groove with Callahan on our "second" line.

With a legitimate top-6 forward (Bobby Ryan?), the Rangers' top six could go head-to-head with any offense or defense in the league and have a real shot to win on any given night IMO, which is exactly why they'll likely look for one if Dubinsky slumps again, otherwise it's a top-4 defender/minutes eater/veteran for them.

I totally agree with you Real that the Rangers can easily go toe to toe right now with any team in the league and have a legit shot to win it. By the way, what's your opinion on the whole NHLPA shooting down the NHL's new layout idea. Personally I feel that it would be so much easier to simply swap the Jets and Preds. Jets to Central and Preds to Southeast. I mean seriously how the Hell did it make any sense to have the two Florida teams being in the same division as the eastern Canadian teams?

I fear another lockout, but alas it is early still...

I totally agree with you Real that the Rangers can easily go toe to toe right now with any team in the league and have a legit shot to win it. By the way, what's your opinion on the whole NHLPA shooting down the NHL's new layout idea. Personally I feel that it would be so much easier to simply swap the Jets and Preds. Jets to Central and Preds to Southeast. I mean seriously how the Hell did it make any sense to have the two Florida teams being in the same division as the eastern Canadian teams?

I fear another lockout, but alas it is early still...

The Jets/Preds swapping made the most sense only in the scenario that Phoenix never moves, which is highly unlikely, so I supported the realignment proposal as odd as a few of the team match-ups seemed off the bat. Sucks that the PA shot it down, and it could signal another lockout when you realize that the PA and the NHL are supposed to be "partners" in all of this, but I'm not ready to go that far just yet.

On a positive note: Rangers just won their fifth in a row and continue to lead the LEAGUE in points with 58.

In the infamous words of Bill Goldberg: WHO'S NEXT?!

Certainly a big scare last night with Jonathan Toews taking a puck to the helmet in the first period against Columbus. Thankfully he came back later in the first with a couple sets of stitches. The man is dominant in the faceoff circle, and the unquestioned leader of the team. On top of Toews kicking more ass at center, the 'Hawks snapped a four game losing streak. Viktor Stalberg scoring his first career hat-trick was the way to step up last night. Bolland with a shorthander to open scoring, and Ben Smith scoring in his first game back from Rockford.

To contend everyone has to step up. Patrick Sharp is out for the next 3-4 weeks, and he was part of the four guys who contribute 60% of the scoring. Yep, 60 or SIXTY. Was the hat-trick from Stalberg a sign of things to come? Is he going to be on a hot streak for the next few weeks, or was it just a great scoring game against a team that he owns? 7 of his 12 goals have come against the Jackets. Can Andrew Shaw and Jimmy Hayes play valuable regular and special teams minutes? Can the defense step up in front of Corey Crawford? Questions that will be answered over the next few weeks. Then after the All-Star break they start a 9 game roadie. Cripes.

God I love it when the Bruins beat the Canadiens! Great game tonight as they inch closer to overtaking the Rangers for first place in the Eastern Conference.

And some mid-game drama, with an apparent trade of Mike Cammalerri while the game was still in progress. Gotta love the chaos in La Belle Province.

Cammalleri officially traded back to the Flames with Karri Rämö and a 2012 5th round draft pick for René Bourque, Patrick Holland and a 2013 2nd round draft pick.

All in all I'd say this was little more than than a swap of struggling players in a slightly larger deal involving a couple picks and prospects.

Habs get size in Bourque and cut their cap charge near in half ($6M for Cammy, $3.3M for Bourque). Flames get Cammy back (had career years there) and a decent goaltending prospect in Rämö.

So Cammallerie goes from one bad team to another. :shrug: His six million over the next two years just gets transferred. Rene Bourque can maybe provide a spark in a new place, but that's a solid maybe. We shall find out down the road, but I don't see much improvements happening the rest of this season.

Blackhawks won their second straight last night. On Marian Hossa's 33rd birthday, I can't remember if he even got a point. I think he may have, but can't confirm. Dave Bolland stepped up with two goals, one on the PP and the other an empty net, Viktor Stalberg had another, and the two kids, Jimmy Hayes and Andrew Shaw both had goals. Solid test against the Wild who have cooled off after starting out the season hot.

Back to the top of the Central the 'Hawks are. Just one point ahead of the Blues, and a few over the Red Wings. Gotta love the competitiveness in each conference. West from 1st to 8th is a matter of 9 points, and it's 12 in the East. Hopefully the 'Hawks got over their worst stretch of 4 straight losses, because the schedule doesn't get easier.

Reports are surfacing out of Detroit that it's pretty much a done deal that that 2013 Winter Classic will feature the Detroit Red Wings hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan (where the Wolverines play).

Personally, I think the game should be played at Comerica Park in Detroit, with the city of Detroit as the backdrop. Comerica Park is half the size of Michigan Stadium but I think it's better for the struggling city of Detroit, to actually host the the game. Also, Detroit is right on the US-Canada border. Furthermore, the Wings Owner Mike Illitch also has ownership interests in Comerica Park (where his Tigers play) so it's better for the Wings organization to have the game there.

As for the Wings' opponent, I think the Leafs are perfect for this. There have been some rumblings that the TV execs only want the game to involve two American teams as there's less interest in the US if it's a Canadian team playing but in this case, I totally disagree.

The Wings and Leafs are two of the leagues most storied franchises and were arch rivals for many, many years.

Either way the game will be awesome but I'd like to see it at Comerica Park.

As a Red Wings fan, Tigers fan, AND Wolverine fan, I have to say, whether they play at Comerica or the Big House, I get to see the Red Wings play, and that's a win.

There are arguments for both venues, but I think if I had to choose one or the other, I like Michigan Stadium a little better. I get the financial perks to having it at Comerica, but the Red Wings are going to get plenty of revenue from the ticket sales at the Big House regardless, so I don't know if that is really all that big a concern. The seating capacity for the Joe Louis Arena for hockey games is about 20,000. The seating capacity for the Big House is over 110,000. Doesn't take a genius to see how playing in a stadium that can hold more than 5 times the fans could be a boost to your team's bottom line.

Now, there might be concerns as to whether the Red Wings and Leafs can actually fill an arena that size...To that, I would reply, did you happen to catch the Big Chill between UM and MSU?

the-big-chill.jpg

If they can fill it for COLLEGE Hockey, they should be able to fill it for the NHL. Further, there will probably be tens of thousands of Leafs fans crossing the border to come see it, in addition to those that would just want to see the spectacle of it all. The Big House will have little problem selling out.

There will be some parking concerns, though. Ann Arbor isn't really laid out to make parking for the Stadium all that convenient. That would be something that Comerica Park might be better suited for, as there is significantly more parking in the immediate area.

Overall though, I think Michigan Stadium is a better choice.

I'm happy to hear that the Winter Classic will involve a Canadian team. I'm still not a fan though of teams being involved in multiple Winter Classics when so many other teams have yet to be involved in one. The Flyers/Rangers game was certainly a great idea, but I still don't like the idea that the Flyers were in two classics while there are other teams that would make a great classic. Oh well, it should be a pretty awesome game. Toronto looks so much better than they did last year and the year before.
They keep improving which makes me happy. I remember going to several Devils/Leafs games back when Toronto was making the playoffs and they were some of the best games I've seen live.

For the first time in over a decade, the St. Louis Blues are tied on top of the NHL. It's been a rough few seasons since the lockout in St. Louis, with management and injury issues, but this team is looking like one of the best in the league under Ken Hitchcock. I've been a Blues fan all my life, and I couldn't be happier seeing them have this kind of success again.

I'm happy to hear that the Winter Classic will involve a Canadian team. I'm still not a fan though of teams being involved in multiple Winter Classics when so many other teams have yet to be involved in one.

The NHL is going to put Detroit in a lot of these types games for one simple reason: Ginormous fanbase. The Red Wings are a very popular team nationally, and will pretty much guarantee good ratings. Nobody would watch this if it was between the Blue Jackets and Panthers.

The NHL is going to put Detroit in a lot of these types games for one simple reason: Ginormous fanbase. The Red Wings are a very popular team nationally, and will pretty much guarantee good ratings. Nobody would watch this if it was between the Blue Jackets and Panthers.

Well I certainly agree with you on that. No one is going to want to see that. I just feel that other teams have large fanbases too that have yet to have a bone thrown to them. Don't get me wrong, Detroit certainly deserves to have a classic, I mean really look at the team's history, but I feel like the NHL should spread it around a bit. The furthest West the classic has been is what Chicago? I wouldn't mind seeing a Canucks/Sharks or something up there in the Northwest.

For the first time in over a decade, the St. Louis Blues are tied on top of the NHL. It's been a rough few seasons since the lockout in St. Louis, with management and injury issues, but this team is looking like one of the best in the league under Ken Hitchcock. I've been a Blues fan all my life, and I couldn't be happier seeing them have this kind of success again.

Since the lockout I felt bad for the Blues. That team used to be so good, then they (personal opinion) got beaten badly by the cap. I kinda miss the days when the Blues were a power in the West. It's been getting pretty standard having Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose being the three division leaders. Great to see the Blues are back in contention. Likewise I'm happy to see a few other teams in the East making some noise as well. It's great to see the Leafs finally coming back to life a little bit as well as the Panthers finally doing something as well. Pretty wild stuff going on in the NHL right now.

Well I certainly agree with you on that. No one is going to want to see that. I just feel that other teams have large fanbases too that have yet to have a bone thrown to them. Don't get me wrong, Detroit certainly deserves to have a classic, I mean really look at the team's history, but I feel like the NHL should spread it around a bit. The furthest West the classic has been is what Chicago? I wouldn't mind seeing a Canucks/Sharks or something up there in the Northwest.

The thing about it is there is always going to be an East bias. The East has more cold area teams, and "more marquee teams", which I don't think. One so far has been in the West, and that was the Wings/'Hawks game. The teams that get the Classics have to have a team with a possibility of contention, or that are on the rise with a solid fanbase. Also it looks like the Winter Classic is going to be mostly American teams, but I think getting one Canadian team in there every few years is a good thing. It is their sport remember. But there are a ton of match-ups that the NHL could capitalize on.

Dallas vs. Minnesota. The former MN team vs. the current MN team. Have an old North Stars jersey for Dallas. As a hockey fan I'd damn sure watch it.

Colorado vs. Detroit. Personally I'd have preferred this over the Leafs for next year because it is a great rivalry. Or was at the very least. But still, outdoor hockey in Colorado would be awesome. Coors Field or Mile High Stadium. Air would be the tricky part but it would be sick to see at night.

Canadiens vs. Bruins. Mark it down as one of the top rivalries. Anything else really need to be said?

Toronto vs. Canadiens. I'd watch it just because it's outside, but add to that it's also the oldest rivalry in the NHL dating back nearly 100 years. Hells yeah.

This last one is just for me. Canucks vs. Blackhawks. Rivalry that has gained steam over the past three seasons. Put them under the lights at Soldier Field and you've got a night of excellent hockey.

Lastly, I'm all about the Classic being played at night. Anyone else like that idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back