2014-15 NHL Season

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Regular season is under way!

Use this thread to discuss specific games, pre-season, opening night for your club, free agency, trades, playoffs, player news, team news and anything NHL related!

Oh, and Let's Go Rangers!

I was thrilled to see a second banner raised in LA. The game itself was a buzz kill, but it's the first game in a long season, so I won't blow a gasket. I need to see if the next game is on for me, yet I have a full plate of college football on Saturday. Either way, GO KINGS GO!

Rangers have re-called Mike Kostka from the AHL with Dan Boyle breaking his hand in the season opener last night. Boyle is expected to miss four-to-six weeks, so this is a total stop gap solution where Klein is likely to slot up and play with Staal on the second pairing, and John Moore and Mike Kostka will see a ton of sheltered minutes on the third pairing (as neither is very good).

On a related note, veteran center Matthew Lombardi, who signed a two-year contract with the Rangers this summer is going to be placed on unconditional waivers this morning, according to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports, for the purposes of contract termination. It's expected he's headed back to Switzerland to play — the team he left to try to resurrect his NHL career. He never looked very good/comfortable, and was hammered by injuries right out of the gate, so it makes sense why the Rangers tried to assign him to the AHL, and it even makes sense why he refused and is headed overseas again.

The NHL has suspended defenseman Slava Voynov indefinitely pending a league investigation of his early morning arrest Monday on domestic violence charges.

Although the NHL has no official policy on domestic violence cases, league officials levied the suspension under Section 18-A.5 of the collective bargaining agreement, which allows suspensions during a criminal investigation.

It states: "The League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-suspended-domestic-violence-charge/17604737/

--

In lieu of the Rice/NFL debacle, the NHL is learning and reacting the way the NFL should have by making precautionary moves like this to protect the league image. If Voynov is innocent, or charges are dropped, they can reinstate him after the fact.

On an unrelated note, how about that Rick Nash? Seven goals, one of which was a GWG. +5. This is my third year having him in fantasy hockey, but the last two seasons he was a disappointment. Great start to this season. Perfect actually, individual success without the accompanying team success :)

Nash has always been a tremendous regular season performer. Last season was a bit of an aberration because he suffered two concussions in the same calendar year. He's admitted himself that he just never felt right, which made him a different player — he no longer attacked the slot, or went to the net, where he makes his bread and butter. The stats supported it too, showing his average shooting distance had increased by nearly fifteen feet.

Now, post-season Rick Nash? That's another conversation. Plenty of work to be done there.

As to success... only idiots make declarations about the success or failure of a team before the twenty game mark. Islanders fans, for example, were talking about being "undefeated" when the team started off 4-0-0 this season. Four games and you are "undefeated"? Man, the bar sure is low in Uniondale.

Talk to me around the twenty game mark and we'll see where all the teams in the league are at.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-suspended-domestic-violence-charge/17604737/

--

In lieu of the Rice/NFL debacle, the NHL is learning and reacting the way the NFL should have by making precautionary moves like this to protect the league image. If Voynov is innocent, or charges are dropped, they can reinstate him after the fact.

My boy just texted me about this whole I was at work. I hope the guy is innocent. But really, had no one learned from the Ray Rice situation? If things in the relationship are headed towards violence, then it's time to call it quits on both sides. This crap is getting old fast. It's putting a black eye on sports, but the bigger picture is that probably more of this is gonna come top the surface. Domestic violence on both sides needs to cease man.

I hope he's innocent too, for the sake of the league, Voynov and the Kings, but right now he looks guilty as can be. It was the hospital staff that actually called the cops on him, in suspecting he was the culprit behind this woman's injuries, which were so severe that she needed to go to the ER.

Right now, today, the scape basically says he's guilty, and his court date in December (I believe I read December 1st) is going to ultimately determine his expulsion from the league.

This topic/subject is just too volatile for any other path where he remains a part of the league or Kings' team if he's guilty. Not to mention it'd be an egregious moral violation to allow a man convicted of domestic violence, whose partner required ER treatment of her injuries, to play simply because we like him as a player. In any other walk of life, that man would be in prison.

Yup, including Dylan McIlrath, most of all — the guy the Rangers selected instead of Tarasenko, deliberately, in the 2010 draft. I don't need the reminder of what a monumental mistake that was, especially considering the fact McIlrath has still to make the Rangers' team and has played a total of three NHL games since his draft day.

But in reality, that's not actually on McIlrath. That lane and that coverage was on Mike Kostka, who got crossed over, forcing McIlrath to the other side of ice last minute to try to cover up for his partner's mistake. Shit happens.

On a related note, this is one of the most gorgeous passes I've seen in the NHL yet this season:

MeanUltimateBordercollie.gif

Couple of teams in the East are really, surprisingly not doing well at all. Rangers and Bruins among them. Kind of shocking, to be honest, despite the year being so early. The Bruins' struggles are especially surprising, because that team, on paper, is easily a 1/2 team in the weak Eastern Conference with PIT.

Any theories, habs?

Couple of teams in the East are really, surprisingly not doing well at all. Rangers and Bruins among them. Kind of shocking, to be honest, despite the year being so early. The Bruins' struggles are especially surprising, because that team, on paper, is easily a 1/2 team in the weak Eastern Conference with PIT.

Any theories, habs?

The loss of Zdeno Chara has clearly hurt them, and I also think they are really feeling the effects of the loss of Johnny Boychuk as well. Rask has been average, but I have no doubt he will step up his game as the season progresses. Inexplicably, Bergeron has been average in terms of +/-, where he normally excels. Lucic has been virtually invisible, in terms of both production and physicality. It's hardly time to panic as we aren't even into December yet, but it certainly hasn't been the start I hoped for or expected.

How about the Preds? Where the hell did they come from? Put up an 8 spot against the Leafs tonight.

Forsberg is the real deal, seems they have the cornerstone of their franchise in him. Weber is a stalwart and Jones will be a stud soon, if he isn't already. Neal is a proven goal scorer and Jarnkrok seems to be coming around in the last few games. Rinne is still a wildcard in goal but if that offense keeps scoring like they have early on, I can see this team challenging for a top 4 or 5 seed in the West.

The Predators and Flames have got to be the two biggest surprise teams coming into this season in terms of actual success versus the projection for both clubs this summer.

I'm still a bit baffled by the success of Nashville, but I'm happy as hell to see them succeeding again.

The Predators and Flames have got to be the two biggest surprise teams coming into this season in terms of actual success versus the projection for both clubs this summer.

I'm still a bit baffled by the success of Nashville, but I'm happy as hell to see them succeeding again.

I agree, it's always nice to see struggling small market hockey franchises like Nashville go through some sort of revival, however short-lived it might be. Good for their fans who stuck by them through the dark ages.

Calgary's got a really nice team... Giordano's rebirth as a two way Dman completely blindsided me and with that crop of young forwards they have in Johnny Hockey, Monahan, Granlund, Jooris, Colborne and potentially Reinhart if he lives up to his hype, they've got some good building blocks for a formidable franchise in the next few years.

Hiller has always been a bit of a wildcard in net, even when he played on very stout defensive Anaheim teams but if they keep scoring the way they have early on, and he keeps his GAA around the 2.00-2.50 mark, I see no reason why they won't challenge for a playoff berth.

They Pacific is historically a tough division, but I don't see an overwhelming favorite among the big 4 of the Ducks, Sharks, Canucks or Kings as of yet. I'm pulling for the Flames, hopefully they keep it rolling.

Post-season wise you simply cannot discount the Kings or Ducks right now. Especially the Kings. They are, and have been for a few years now, that team that when you do, you end up looking up at the lights wondering what the fuck just happened. Just ask San José.

NewThornton.gif

Very true. I love seeing the Sharks muddled in mediocrity, just something about that team I've never liked.

Any theories, habs?

Surprising? How about them islanders? :p
We desperately need Boychuk and Hamonic back ASAP.
Our D is too young and small.. relying on Leddy and Visnovky isn't going to work. Losing two in a row put us 2nd in the Metro div. with a game in hand for the penguins.
It is crazy to think we could go .500 for the rest of the season and be a lock for the play offs. wow!

The Isles aren't surprising to me. I had them pegged as a playoff team last year, and they were one until Tavares went down to that horrible injury that all-in-all cost them their spot.

The East is on fire lately. Rangers are 9-1-0 in their last ten, and just went on a seven-game winning streak, and they're still battling for the 7/8 spots because basically every team around them (including the Capitals) have also been winning over that same span.

Outside the first three seeds, I have a feeling this'll go down to the last game of the season to determine all the final spots.

Wow, so Randy Carlyle just got the axe as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. A little surprising considering the timing. Especially considering that at the moment, they occupy the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, ahead of the Bruins and the Flyers and several others, just one point behind the Rangers. And all of this with a team that could be argued have been overachieving all season long, with a mediocre talent roster at best.

Randy Carlyle was fired before this season even began. He was fired before he even got his extension. If you don't believe that, you don't understand how NHL front office changes work. When a new team President and/or GM are announced, you can bet your ass that unless that team has an iconic coach, which Randy Carlyle is not, that man will bring in his own people at some point. In most cases, they simply hold onto the "bullets" of firing these men in the event the team they take over is still stumbling.

If a new President is named, for example, and immediately cleans house, and the team struggles, that's on him. If he's hired and fires no one and the team struggles, he has a few bullets in the clip to let loose so that the blame can still be shouldered by the men he fires. The men he then hires, and the fate of the club from that point on are on him.

Carlyle is a terrible coach. I doubt he coaches in the NHL again. The real key now is who the next guy is, because it won't be Peter Horachek, who is going to be named interim coach. Horachek is a lame duck to ride out the rest of the season (because he was already an assistant and is under contract).

They'll wait until the summer, IMO, to see what happens with Babcock. If he hits the market, he's their man. They'll back the dump trucks up and just unload cash on his front lawn until he agrees. Otherwise, it's a wait-and-see scenario with Horachek playing lame duck until they pull the trigger on someone long-term.

If you ask me, they need to invest in something long-term here. Something that jives with the plan Shanahan has for where this Leafs team will be years from now. Torts, Bylsma, etc. don't fit that mold. They're "win now" guys. Maybe less so Tortorella, but that depends on what your expectations are in bringing him in. He did a great job of developing a work ethic culture among the Rangers' young players, but that flamed out big time with the construction of the Canucks' roster, which is similar to the structure of the Leafs' roster barring trades.

I don't really know much about Carlyle's coaching philosophy or the makeup of the Leafs' room, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bylsma get the gig, even if its just for the remainder of this season.

Disco Dan is a players coach, which I hate, but winning the Cup after taking the reigns from Therrien in Pittsburgh in 2009 and the subsequent success he had with (albeit a much better roster) the team could be enough to warrant an opportunity in Toronto.

I don't think Bylsma is a great coach, I don't even think he's a good one, but depending on how different his philosophy is from Carlyle's, it may be enough to keep the Leafs in the playoff picture despite their lack of talent depth.

Bylsma isn't coming in for an interim job, or some part-time gig. Least of all in a city like Toronto, with media hawks like the ones in that room every game night. He's a veteran coach, and will end up being one of the highest paid in the NHL, right along side Vigneault, Babcock, etc. When he settles in for his next gig, it's going to be a full-time bout.

Right now, the word out of TO is that they want Babcock, and they want him bad. They'll ride Horachek into the summer and if Babcock makes it there (his contract with Detroit is up at the end of this season), they'll back the dump trucks up to the table and just dump money onto it until he agrees. If the Babcock plan fails, my money is on Peter DeBoer, who has been wanting to get back to the greater Toronto area since being let go by the Devils, as he is from the area. He also owns a piece of the Oshawa Generals which is about 50 minutes from Toronto and has a strong connection with the Kitchener Rangers, as well as other teams. He also has a great relationship with David Clarkson (though in this case, that doesn't matter much).

Mr. Shanahan and his lieutenants have now finally received a broad mandate from ownership to scorch as much earth as they see fit in order to return the Leafs to contention, according to two sources familiar with that meeting. It will mean a new philosophy on building slowly through the draft and long-term projects, rather than quick fixes via trades for established players. It will mean at least three more years of pain for fans, and as many as five.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...leafs-plan-wins-mlse-support/article22938348/

--

IT_HAS_BEGUN!!!.jpg

I mean, it only took what, ten years for them to accept that this is the proper course of action to take? I mean, if you're using the '05 lockout as a bench mark at least.

I know the rumors have been whirling for weeks, but it sure seems like they're gonna go full-on Buffalo Sabres starting at the deadline this year, because if "scorched earth" is what they're going for, it means more than moving Winnik, Santorelli and Franson — it means Phaneuf, Kessel, and probably anyone not named Reilly or van Riemsdyk. Scorched earth means scorched earth, not a couple of brush fires.

This is a great, detailed read for anyone who cares to invest a few minutes to read on their actual plan going forward, as it involves more than just trades. It gets pretty deep into the role of Mark Hunter, their desire to land Mike Babock, etc.

I'm not a Leafs fan, but it's awesome to see the NHL's most profitable franchise understanding that no amount of money will provide immunity to the fact that proper drafting is critical to long-term success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back