2013 NHL Thread

With the Luongo trade it seems that they realize the time to win the cup is over and they need to rebuild. Most experts said they had 5 years starting in 09-10 and here we are 4 years later and that window seems to have shut on them.

I'm still surprised Mike Gillis has a job every morning still.

Everything was working fine until Gillis abandoned his "Detroit Model" because the Bruins manhandled the Canucks at the finals.

Ever since then Gillis went for skill over size and has been a disaster so far. He traded Samuelson over Booth, tradeing Hodgson who was having a breakout season for an unproven Kassian.

It's no coincidence that after Hodgson was traded the team started struggling with scoring. If you look at the key goals and in big games The Canucks played (Beating the Bruins in the regular season, scoring a goal and ending the Red Wings unbeaten home streak) Hodgson was a huge factor in those games.

The Detroit Model Gillis used until the 2010 - 2011 season worked perfectly. Sure they lost at the finals but the Bruins were a tough team, that had a hot goal tender, and Canucks had a ton of injuries. Look at last season when the Bruins swept the Penguins, you don't see the Pens changing their identity just because they were stopped by a very good team.

Gillis problem was that he thought, after losing to the Bruins, that the problem was in the Detroit Model that size mattered more than skill. Not realizing especially when the Bruins swept the Pens, that it was just because the Bruins are a great team.

I blame so much of the Nucks' woes on a slew of issues — almost none of which has anything to do with John Tortorella. They start and end, in fact, with Mike Gillis, who dismantled a Stanley Cup Final team that got steamrolled physically by a team 29 teams in the NHL can't handle physically. Add to that key injuries to key players (Burrows, Sedins), and trading away both your starting goaltenders, including failing to trade the one you should have to begin with (Luongo) and you've got a recipe for total fucking melt down.

So with this new NHL Playoffs Format, how are the 2nd round match ups determined?

For example, would the winner of ANA-DAL (P1 vs the 2nd Wild Card) play the winner of SJ-LA (P2 vs P3) in the next round? If so, then did the NHL eliminate re-seeding in the 2nd round?

tripolie atche;4856629 said:
So with this new NHL Playoffs Format, how are the 2nd round match ups determined?

For example, would the winner of ANA-DAL (P1 vs the 2nd Wild Card) play the winner of SJ-LA (P2 vs P3) in the next round? If so, then did the NHL eliminate re-seeding in the 2nd round?

As I understand it, there will be no re-seeding, so yes, they eliminated the re-seeding of the past.

So yes, again as I understand it, the winner of ANA/DAL would play the winner of SJS/LAK.

Correct, no re-seeding in the 2nd round.

We going to do a playoff prediction contest this year?
If not who do you feel is going to be the final two?
In the West I could see almost any team going to the Stanley Cup Finals, outside maybe Dallas and Minnesota. In the East I see Boston going all the way or maybe Tampa. In the end I see it being Anaheim vs Boston, but every series could end up going either way.

All in all, very excited for the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back