Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 2000's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 3

Gladiator
gladiator_l.jpg

vs.

Superbad
17superbad-600.jpg

This one if actually kind of hard for me. I know "Gladiator" is the superior film, but I fucking LOVE "Superbad". It's the best comedy in fucking YEARS, and deserves a shit load of credit for its awesomeness.

However, fuck, even though I love it a lot more, it shouldn't be voted over "Gladiator". "Gladiator" was a masterpiece. Russell Crow put on the only performance I will ever give him credit for, and Joaquin Phoenix did a fantastic job portraying Commodus, one of the greatest villains ever put to film, in my opinion. “Gladiator” is awesome deserves uncountable amounts of credit. It gets my vote.

Superbad is pretty funny. I think it's one of the funniest movies that I have seen in years. But lets get down to the nuts and bolts of it, Superbad is nothing more then a series of Dick and Fart jokes, that's it.

While I think Gladiator tends to be a bit over rated, in fact #3 of this decade suggests that this is a pretty inferior decade for movies, it's still a better movie then Superbad. The acting is top notch, the cinematography is mind blowing, and the fighting scenes put most to shame.

I fought to keep Superbad out of this. The only redeeming quality it has to me is Michael Cera who is rapidly growing on me. Gladiator isn't my favorite, but its still better than this by a mile. It won best picture so it has the hardware to back up its reputation. If nothing else, it wins for its place in pop culture. Lines and gestures from Gladiator have made their way into the lexicon of English, such as the thumbs down and On my signal, unleash hell. This isn't close.

This one is tough for me. Gladiator, in my mind, wasn't nearly as good as other people think. When I left the theatre, I said "and people want this to be Best Picture?" Its ok.....but nothing great. On the other hand, there's Superbad...a film that I enjoyed in the theatres, but I have to agree that it too is overrated. While I feel that Gladiator is overrated in the sense that too many people I've run into think that "if its complicated or a period piece, its good", but I think Superbad is overrated in the sense that too many people aren't examining it out of the zeitgeist that it revolves around. My main concern is that it won't stand up to the tests of time. Many times, we hear of a movie being "the modern day Animal House", but everyone still goes back to Animal House in the end. And although McLovin was hilarious and I enjoyed the film, I think over time it will lose its comedic value, while Gladiator, by the very nature of the drama being immediately something of the past, will not lose respect from its fans.

Despite how I liked Superbad better than Gladiator, and I'm hoping that Gladiator doesn't make it past the next round....I have to, sadly, give my vote to Gladiator.

Gladiator.

I loved Gladiator. I really did. That being said. Superbad had me in stitches. The movie is downright funny, and sort of real in a sense. I watched it and thought, thats how me and my friends would act in high school. Gladiator is a great flick, and will go over in this match up more than likely. But my vote is going to one of my favorite movies of all time...SUPERBAD.

Gladiator was beautifully crafted movie; an epic tale of struggle and revenge. While I'll admit that Superbad was funny, the plot was all over the place and was very "stoner - esqu" in some places. I do enjoy a good laugh, but not at the expense of a good storyline. Gladiator tied up all the looses ends of its plot and storyline and left you with a message, a meaning behind its story - no tyrant will go unpunished. Superbabd was really nothing but nonsense, funny, but nonsense. My vote goes to Gladiator

This should be no contest. Gladiator was the best movie of all time in my books. It was the Rome of movies. I will probably back it to the top. I cry when I watch it. Russell Crowe dominates in this movie. It gives me shivers like no other. Superbad was ok-ly funny. Gladiator I think will be my movie to back this tournament if no one else is taking it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back