• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yukes Sells NJPW; Are WWE Games Next?

SmarkySmark84

The Smarkiest Smark
I just finished listening to the free Alvarez/Meltzer post-RAW podcast and Dave Meltzer mentioned that NJPW was sold by Yukes to some Japanese Wizards of the Coast-style card game company. It was apperantly a very well-kept secret and the sale surprised a lot of people. With news recently surfacing that THQ may be taken off NASDAQ due to their stock trading for under a dollar, and Yukes being the primary developer for the WWE games, is this bad news or an unrelated coincidence? With all the problems THQ has been having lately I thought it was interesting that Yukes, their partner, just sold one of the biggest pro wrestling companies in the world but I dunno.

Please don't turn this into a "screw THQ" thread. I'm a big fan of WWE '12 and think it is genuinely the biggest step forward for the franchise in many years. It's got a lot of flaws, but in my mind the positives far and away outweigh the negatives. I'm just worried that this is an indicator (along with the issues THQ seem to be having in general) that we may not get many more Yukes/THQ WWE games after this.

Go.

THQ has been going through some hard times and was/is on the verge of bankruptcy. I didn't get too far into WWE'12...mainly just cause I didn't like the control style. I was so used to the old way (even though there were too many buttons for actions) that the baic one button control I didn't care for.

However, they did put together a fairly solid game that was in need of an update.

I dont think THQ will drop WWE unless they absolutely have to. WWE games has been great business for them and they know how to keep fans happy and wanting more.

THQ are just refocusing their approach to the kind of games it makes, there is no trouble at THQ. There stock dropped because they cancelled all of their kiddie games, which just happened to be a lot. that induced panic and it showed in the marketplsce.

So just a coincidence.

I hope they go bankrupt to be honest. They haven't made a quality game in so long. It seems like they could easily make these little changes to the game that would make it spectacular and they don't. It's just lazy. Every year I get my hopes up and they never deliver. What happened to games like wwf no mercy for N 64? Where you could make your own choices and the story would follow your path, unlike the new games that force you down there's. And don't even get me started on the online play. Absolutely the worst online play I have ever experienced. The lag is unbearable. In a nutshell I hope they go out of business. Well there's my 2 cents.

Honestly, I enjoy the WWE '12 game. I like downloading created characters and all that fun stuff. I've never gotten to play the online matches cause it just moves too slow. But I do think there is better developers out there that could make this game far better. I don't know the situation with the company but I would hope they could really refine the game even more. They should go with what worked in previous games. These forced storylines with forced names and roles is a bit annoying, especially for wrestling.... there should be a series of choices.

I am actually kind of hoping this means they somehow manage to lose the WWE license...their games have over-promised and under-delivered for way too long now. Ever since they stopped using that sweet AKI engine (no mercy/revenge) ,fans have been asking for a return to that and they flat out refuse...tweaking and re-tweaking, revamping and adding and subtracting features in the most nonsense way for years. I was for some reason really excited for WWE '12, as they promised it was rebuilt, but it really is the just same game they've been making, tweaked.
I have really enjoyed their UFC games though, and the extra time they took to off develop Undisputed 3 seems like it was well worth it. I really think that is desperately needed for the WWE franchise.

Certainly hope so. THQ lost the plot along time ago and have effectively ruined any greatness said WWE games could've achieved.

b4 THQ the games were alot better overall, since, they've just gotten more and more glitchy and annoying.

as for WWE 12 well yes it is essentially just SVR 2012 but it's worse in many respects, alot of confusing decisions were made in respect to music, gameplay options in specialty matches and the mindless RTWM that was atleast playable last year. Let us not forget the WWE 12 servers that have been offline for most people for over 2months and they just released a patch to address it today and it fixed ..... you guessed it. NOTHING

b4 THQ the games were alot better overall, since, they've just gotten more and more glitchy and annoying.

What are you talking about? The BEST western wrestling games are almost unanimously considered to be the early N64-era THQ/AKI classics like WCW vs. NWO Revenge, WrestleMania 2000 and the first major wrestling game to feature the ladder match... No motherf**king Mercy. These were ALL THQ-produced games that came out over a decade ago and STILL kick ass.

I certainly hope THQ lose the WWE licence.Every year they tweaked the controls of the SvR game.probably to justify us coughing up £40 every year for a never up to date roster & you didnt mind cause in the end,you got used to em & got a SportinG chance of winning.
but this WWE 12 game has just gone too far.The gameplay is far too fast,even on easy.You get a millisecond to reverse attack & have to do contortions just as quick for the most basic of moves.And for those who say persevere,YOU justify to anyone the pining system.(press X & the computer decides if the computer wins .holy crap,the computer won again.) & I dont see them reversing back to the old controls,even though some swine spread the rumour they were available for download (offer it THQ & see how many buy it) on top of that,no Y2J ,MaskeD kane (great timing guys) or regular guests Bret or Piper,Ive nothing against Husky Harris so I wont mention his inclusion again.
Note to AlL gamemakers.the outside world,,is realistic.Video games are meant to be FuN.Thats why folk are buying Wiis! ,probably why THQ are in the shits.& also why forumers are discussing if not going back to playing WWE games of old.(SvR for me)

Not real knowledgeable in the video game business, but my guess is that even if THQ drops WWE, WWE will find SOMEONE to make their games. It's a worldwide brand no different than MLB, NFL, FIFA, or whatever else. The only bad thing is that from what I've read (haven't played one in forever), they have a pretty good thing going on so someone else starting and developing a new series may take a few tries to get it right.

I hope they go bankrupt to be honest. They haven't made a quality game in so long. It seems like they could easily make these little changes to the game that would make it spectacular and they don't. It's just lazy. Every year I get my hopes up and they never deliver. What happened to games like wwf no mercy for N 64? Where you could make your own choices and the story would follow your path, unlike the new games that force you down there's. And don't even get me started on the online play. Absolutely the worst online play I have ever experienced. The lag is unbearable. In a nutshell I hope they go out of business. Well there's my 2 cents.

Worth well more then 2 cents. It's the truth, those games tho clunky in controls were epicly more fun then most of what followed on the PS, Xbox and PC

I'm really mixed on this.

I, too, am a fan of WWE '12. Yes, it has its issues (as mentioned, the online being the biggest issue), but it's a quality wrestling game.

I still think the graphics could do with a little work in places, I think it needs a fresh approach as far as the engine goes, and this leads me to think that it may be better if someone else takes the WWE licence.

But on the other hand, I can see it now:

"I actually quite liked WWE '12 and the SD! series, __________ have really messed this up!!"

Don't know what you got til it's gone.

WWE '12 has been the best game Yukes has developed since HCTP, but I'd much rather have AKI/syn sophia retake control of the wrestling game market. Yukes is good, but AKI always did a thorough job with their games when it came to ensuring you had complete control over everything. Even as a WWF game, No Mercy had every WCW taunt and finisher and then some. We seem to be getting less and less in the way of movesets and taunts for CAW creation on the SvR/WWE line.

As much as I adored WWE '12, I wouldn't really be sorry to see Yukes give up the WWE license.

wwe 12 is so dumb. the controls are so stupid why change that??? and the road to wresleminia is fu*king stupid. and its boring . the other games made me play for hours no this is like 20 mins. where general manger mode? the game has so mnay problems. ex befor u start a match it takes like 6 min to start.the disband ur teams . whats the point i hope thq/yuke drop wwe . that wud be great

Before people start completely burying THQ for the controls in WWE 12, you have to think: How do you know that whatever software company that would replace THQ would magically find the perfect control formula that everyone agrees is the ZOMFGGGBESTCONTROLSEVER? Do you guys seriously think that the programmers over at THQ simply decided to fuck with the controls for the hell of it? Before doing it, they did their research. They looked at the complaints from SVR 11 and previous games, thought about how to correct some of them, tested the new control system to make sure it was as good or an improvement, etc. These guys don't make changes in a complete vacuum, they make changes based on what they hear about what's good and bad about the previous versions. You personally may hate the controls, but I bet you that THQ could probably point to numerous tests they conducted that determined that the new control system was better, and that a lot of people like it.

The thing is, it's real easy to bitch about the controls, but the next company might make it even worse. THQ has a long relationship with the WWE, and the WWE seems to be perfectly happy with the games they are putting out. If they think that THQ isn't creating a game that is high quality or up to the WWE's standards, they will license another company to design WWE games. But, until that happens, bitching about it is completely meaningless. Let's say that the WWE does drop THQ/Yukes, and goes with another company. Then, when that company royally fucks it up according to you, you will be whining about how they never should have dropped THQ.

It's obvious folks if THQ/yukes loses the license... it will end up going to EA.
I'm pretty sure that electronics arts get's the exclusive licence they will churn out the same crap year after boring year like the madden exclusive nfl deal...

i can see them doing the same thing with WWE and i think we all remeber the great EA games of the past for playstation and N64.. don't we...

for example: WCW thunder, Mayhem and backstage assualt.... Did i miss any?

THQ are in serious financial trouble and are moving away from everything save their biggest franchises. The WWE games are certainly one of the biggest franchises they have and it has an annual update cycle. Selling the rights is throwing away free money regardless of game quality - most likely they'd need to put out the worst game in history more than twice in a row to kill off the money they make from the WWE games.

I certainly hope THQ lose the WWE licence.Every year they tweaked the controls of the SvR game.probably to justify us coughing up £40 every year for a never up to date roster & you didnt mind cause in the end,you got used to em & got a SportinG chance of winning.
but this WWE 12 game has just gone too far.The gameplay is far too fast,even on easy.You get a millisecond to reverse attack & have to do contortions just as quick for the most basic of moves.And for those who say persevere,YOU justify to anyone the pining system.(press X & the computer decides if the computer wins .holy crap,the computer won again.) & I dont see them reversing back to the old controls,even though some swine spread the rumour they were available for download (offer it THQ & see how many buy it) on top of that,no Y2J ,MaskeD kane (great timing guys) or regular guests Bret or Piper,Ive nothing against Husky Harris so I wont mention his inclusion again.
Note to AlL gamemakers.the outside world,,is realistic.Video games are meant to be FuN.Thats why folk are buying Wiis! ,probably why THQ are in the shits.& also why forumers are discussing if not going back to playing WWE games of old.(SvR for me)

Semms like you're just not very good pal :shrug:

I've never lost against the PC, i find it very easy to reverse and kick out, just time it right. Online i kick out 80% of the time as well, just tap it when its in the yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back