• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favorite segments in Monday night wrestling history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambiguous Turd

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I wanted to create a thread to discuss your personal most enjoyable moments in wrestling history, to serve as a trip down Memory Lane for all of the most enjoyable segments we have witnessed over the countless years.

Please pick one segment per post, so not to hog up the segments others may want to pick from, and talk about why you found the segment to entertain you.

Please do not pick actual wrestling matches, unless it is a Specialty or Comedy match of some sort that was not considered to be a normal wrestling match between two superstars of equal stature.

This thread is more so looking at segments, angles, and storylines that are done that entertained you on Monday Night Raw or WCW Monday Nitro.

I will start:

There aren't nearly as many segments I enjoyed past the year 2002, as compared to before that year, however this segment I thoroughly enjoyed.

Going back to the year 2004, WWE featured Eugene as a Guest GM for the night, and Eugene had a most unique way to award #1 Contendership for the World Title.

What I loved about the segment was that it showed a wide array of WWE personalities such as Ric Flair, Jerry Lawler, Chris Jericho, and even then WWE Diva Stacy Keibler. Only in the WWE can you see Stacy Keibler compete for #1 Contendership for the World Title.

Being that this took place in Canada, the crowd was solidly behind Jericho and his facial features were great as he was eating it up. Ric Flair, however, probably stole the segment as he was an absolute riot while this was going on. From acting furious at first when this was first announced as a means to determine Contendership, to then getting into it by cutting and strutting, to what he did to Stacy Keibler, to getting carried away with cutting and strutting and eliminating himself ... this segment was just a blast all-around.

Remember- Pick one segment per post. Please post a You Tube video if available, as well, so we can all enjoy the segment.

I truly wish WWE would find more creative segments like this to see the superstars out of their regular element:

[YOUTUBE]MHVyquBiC-w[/YOUTUBE]

Someone is going to mention it. May as well be me.

Hold 1 - Arm drag!
Hold 2 - Arm BAR!
Hold 3 - The moss-covered, three-handled family Grudunzel!

It's a classic for a reason, and I'd argue it's a big part of the reason why Jericho is such a big name today. If you've read his book, you know that he just took what little tv time WCW was giving him and ran with it, and this is the kind of thing he came up with. Brilliant.

Reactions: X
I feel that this is the most obvious choice because of the impact that would follow in both promotions...

Scott Hall invades Nitro.

It may not be the comedic response you were looking for but it was by far my favorite segment, as it started a series of segments each week on Nitro that I anticipated to the point of not being able to change the channel.

I know this wont get a lot of votes... but my two favor wrestlers have always been Stone Cold and Sting. Well back in 2002 Stone Cold took his ball and went home... there was a huge controversy and I remember watching a raw in 2002 and hearing that Stone Cold was on his way and that he was in the building. I was so excited and I was ready for it... and then this happened....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HVwL6CcO1I

I was so shocked but yet was so excited as well. He was probably my second favorite WWF wrestler at the time and I was thrilled he was back. And it was great to have a huge name back with Austin walking out. It was a huge surprise that I dont think anyone expected.

For me, Foley beats Rock for the title. Not only an awesome moment, but a moment made so much better when the whole "WCW announces the results" factor. That so many people left WCW to watch Foley finally win the title is one of the great triumphs in Foley's storied career.

Well there are so many very great memories of Monday wrestling television... I will try to pick a pretty obscure moment from the night after Unforgiven 2000. in case you never saw it, Austin had just returned at Unforgiven the night before to begin his search for who "ran him down" at Survivor Series 1999. Well the next night on RAW, Austin was there and performing his own "personal investigation" (and we all know how that goes with Austin) Well during the evening William Regal decided to come out and educate the american wrestling fans with a reading from Shakespeare...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1svHefOjaQ

Now i am not really, nor have i ever been a big fan of Stone Cold, however when this happened initially i laughed so hard. I had to rewind the VHS (yeah vhs) over and over and over again after RAW that night. It was exactly how i would envision Austin handling his business to find the "perp".
No questions just a* whoopins!

As i said there were so many over the many years but this is one i didn't want forgotten about and i'm sure it would have been. Thats just one mans poorly written opinion. Hope you all enjoy... good thread

There are many great Monday night wrestling moments, but if I had to pick one, I would go with the HHH/HBK segment before Summerslam 2002:

[YOUTUBE]lppcBF2_Hco&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not sure of the time, but I think this segment was a couple of weeks prior to when HBK was attacked in a parking lot. I had a feeling it was HHH, even though in the storyline they had him play the buddy role and vow to find the culprit. Even though I knew it was The Game, the moment when HBK revealed it was him was still shocking because of the way Shawn sold his disappointment and anger. This entire segment was filled with tension and hatred, and this was also classic heel Triple H. The match at Summerslam '02 was also awesome.

yeah im gonna go with mankind first championship win..the moment was so great..the rock with the corporation and mankind with dx fueled the fire even more...i can still remember shamrock running in, then kip james making the save, then all hell breaking loose. Then as soon as that glass broke and austin came in with the chair shot, one of the great moments for me. Great celebration for mankind after the fight also and he deserved it for his years of dedication to the company. One of the great matches in raw history in my opinion. here is link http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...fp-t-701&fr2=tab-web&tnr=21&vid=0001317801226

Man, I would have to say any one of the segments between the McMahons and DX. The ways that these guys would go back and forth at each other were funny. My favorite is where DX showcase the McMahon family scrapbook. LOL!

I have what I want but lol...for some reason the the video is not showing up, only the code or whatever.

I dont know why cause it wasent exactly a great storyline although solid but the "Higher Power" angle really stuck for me, especially the night it was revealed who it was...Im a huge mark for this moment and so pissed it's only in clips on any WWE DVD. I am thankful it wasn't Jake Roberts like rumored. This is just 1 of 100 reasons why the attitude era was so much fun.

My favorite moment without a shadow of a doubt is when D generation X invaded WCW. I'm a huge fan of segments and promo's, and this one was done beautifully. It was funny, they were ripping on WCW the entire time, and as usual with DX segments, they had a large dose of truth to them. I loved the fact that the WWF was actually acknowledging that another Professional Wrestling company exsisted, because the ripping that the two compaines just made the shows that much better. You could tell they were having fun doing it, which also makes all the difference, as it didn't feel like a stale scripted, boring segment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52ziq8A7vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d6JgyXycXI&feature=related

Also, can someone explain how you get it so the video shows up on the response instead of just the link?

Stone Cold beer truck and Zambonie were 2 great Monday night moments. If I had to pick a WCW moment it would be something from the NWO but then didn't they do the same beatdown every week and then show Sting in the rafters? So nothing WCW did was ever great and TNA will fail the same way. and also this is your life Rock was the highest rated moment ever on Raw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUIZ4vDN524

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but one of my favorite comedic moments on Raw had to have been when The Rock put on his now infamous "Rock Concert." I never laughed so hard in my life. Not to mention that his guitar had been signed by Willy Nelson. Hilarious!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ_QU5jQd_o

By far the most shocking moment in wrestling in the last 15 to 20 years for me and my favorite was Shane McMahon on NItro announcing he bought WCW under Vinnie Mac's nose. For the first and only time the same thing was being broadcast on the 2 biggest Feds at the time. Vinnies look says it all. HE went from Cocky McMahon, the the No chance hit for Shane, and Vince looked worried and SHane came out on Nitro and everyone in both buildings went absolutely crazy(even though Nitro was outdoors). To me this has to be in the top 3 as far as shock value go over all in wrestling history.

There are many great Monday Night moments that will stick with everybody from the moment Luger stepping through the curtain that Nitro, to Scott Hall appearing, to The Rock throwing Austin's belt in the water, and Austin doing that to Rock's belt. However, my favorite moment is a recent one. The segment between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart at last weeks Raw. Did anybody expect those two to ever be in the same ring together? I certainly did not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zy45DpCxl4&feature=related

August 1997, the NWO does a parody of Curt Henning joining the 4 Horsemen. Konnan as Steve McMichael, Sean Waltman as Flair, Buff Bagwell as Henning, and Kevin Nash as Arn Anderson. I remember think it was hilarious, even though Flair and Anderson fans probably don't. After watching it again, it's still funny. The announcers do a great job of selling it, talking about how it's a low point of the show, even Heenan gets in on the act. The kicker is at the end, when they say security didn't break it up because they were too busy holding back the real 4 Horsemen.

I think we can all agree on 2 things: this was the best performance of Waltman's career, and Arn Anderson was an average carpenter.

One of my favorite segments that Raw had was when Jericho debuted with the company. I lost it seeing Jericho debut while The Rock was in the ring. There were plenty of other great moments but that was one that was truly amazing. It was awesome too see two great talents from 2 different organizations butt heads for the first time on live television.

Jericho's promo was groundbreaking. He was over before he even spoke a word. The Rock and Jericho really complimented each other. A truly amazing segment.

[YOUTUBE]TZSG8kP8Kl0[/YOUTUBE]

I couldn't find a clip so I'll briefly say one of my favorite moments on WCW Monday Nitro. Ric Flair made his return to Nitro in North Carolina in 1998 after being fired from Eric Bischoff. He was sitting at home for months before hand. The atmosphere was electric seeing Arn Andersen and the new version of the 4 Horseman come to the ring to welcome Ric Flair back.

Once Flair came down, Eric Bischoff came down shortly after. Ric Flair showed his real life despise for Bischoff by screaming at him to fire him since he was already fired. He also called Easy E a liar, cheat, and a no good son of a bitch. Classic.

Of course there is just so many moments to pick from. I can probably go on for a good hour talking about my favorite Raw moments, but I'll try to talk about only one.

I am a big fan of debuts and returns. In my opinion, they can be one of the best and most memorable moments in wrestling if done right. In addition to these, I love moments that produce absolute mega-pops in the crowd. They make a great moment that much greater. Obviously, it would only be right that my favorite moment would be a debut or return that brings on a massive pop.

My favorite moment of Monday Night wrestling is the debut of Chris Jericho in the wwe on Raw.

[YOUTUBE]1Lw98sEPLkI[/YOUTUBE]

When the live crowd in Chicago sees "Jericho" on the titantron, they just come unglued. I get goosebumps almost everytime I watch this video and hear that ovation they give him.

Jericho would then go on to have an awesome promo with The Rock, which was the first of many. These two certainly brought the best out of each other.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up:

[youtube]v1C2cJczx-k[/youtube]

[youtube]Nqy9oQC6WDs[/youtube]

How much more of an iconic moment do you need. I was hella tense when this happened. And when Hogan finally said yes, I was pumped the fuck up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back