• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

XXI Olympic Winter Games Thread - 2010

Well it has been a decent Olympics, Canada got another Gold, this time in Snowboard Cross. They also won a Silver in the mens event.

Big news is Hockey starting up for me. Canada was dominant last night against the Norweigans. Norway played their firs Olympics Hockey game since 1994, but failed to be Luongo who looked great when needed, as Canada won 8-0. USA got by the Swiss last night, and the Russians beat down on the Belarusian. Belurus and Finland are playing right now, as Belarus looks to get on track, but is currently down by more than they can come back from. Germany plays Sweden later.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics so far this year, aided by the fact that Britain have won their first gold medal that isn't in curling or figure skating for almost 50 years. I'm hoping we can get a silver in one of the two curling events, and it'd be nice if those incest figure skaters we have snook a bronze too. All in all though, I'm more looking forward to ski cross. If it is as half as entertaining as snowboard cross, then it'll be great. The winter olympics is completely watchable, unlike some of the summer sports like archery, sailing and shooting, which aren't really spectator sports. Despite the problems with the weather and the death, I think that Canada has put on a really solid games. All of the events have proven demanding, as they should, and they have thrown up some great surprises. IT's nice too to see the hosts pull off some big performances. Montgomery's skeleton win yesterday was incredibly well played.

Well, since no has commented on it, I'll be the one. USA beat the Canadians...in hockey. I repeat, the USA beat Canada, in hockey. This is the first time in 50 years. Now, I understand that this game wasn't for a Gold Medal, not directly anyway. However, this means a few things. A. The US is in the quarterfinals and is or is possibly the #1 seed in the standings. B. Canada has a tougher time to the Gold Medal. C. The USA can play with them.

That last one is probably the most important. Team Canada is fucking star studded. They have probably the best all around team, and in their own country, they have been the heavy favorites. Don't get me wrong, Team USA has their own stars, but Team Canada is stacked moreso. The simple fact that they got 4 goals on Martin Brodeur is mind boggling. A nice portion of the play was in the US zone, with Ryan Miller stopping 42 of 45 shots. That is a hell of a game. Now, Team USA needs to remember that they can't slow down or gloat too much. If they want a medal they need to keep playing hard.

As far as Team Canada is concerned, this can't be a good sign. They started out with an 8-0 win, squeaked out a shootout win, and now lost. Perhaps they are feeling the pressure to perform, I don't know. All I know is they really need to step it up if they want that Gold, and hope that they don't face another outstanding performance from whichever goaltenders they face.

Overall, it was a fantastic game, and a fantastic outcome for me. The game was so fast paced, if you didn't get to see it, definitely one worth watching. Also alll of the Blackhawks players got points for Team Canada, and the US won. Win on all accounts for me. Now, we shall see how the quarters go, and then so on and so forth.

Canada had an amazing day in the Olympics yesterday winning the Men's Hockey game against Russia, winning gold and silver in 2 woman bobsleigh, winning silver in woman's 3000m relay, and winning bronze in the 5000m long track speed skating.

Team Canada is playing the USA in the Women's Hockey Gold Medal game and it should be a great game. Hopefully Canada walks away with another gold tonight. Also, Joannie Rochette has a chance at a medal today in the figure skating free skate. Looks like the Olympics are finally picking for Canada.

Men's Hockey News: Canada will face Slovakia in the semi-finals after Slovakia stunned Sweden in the quarter-finals. The USA will face Finland in the other semi-final after the US beat Switzerland and Finland beat the Czech Republic. Should be some exciting semis for Men's Hockey.

GO CANADA GO

It has been confirmed what I thought would happen all along. USA vs. Canada...Part II. Will the Canadians come out and stomp Team USA like everyone thought would happen in their previous matchup? Can Team USA ride Ryan Miller to the Gold Medal? This can top what was a great matchup last Sunday. I thought last week's game was fantastic, but it was just for positioning basically. This game is for Olympic Gold. I know the Canadians must be feeling the pressure to step up and perform in this game. I honestly can't predict the outcome of this game. I only know it is going to be fast paced, and probably a good deal of hitting as well. The goalie matchup of Miller vs. Luongo, two goalies who can stand on their heads, and their teams will need them to. USA has gelled very quickly, but Canada has the superior talent. I can't freaking wait!!

It will be a fantastic game. SO much has happened in the Olympics for Canada, in some of our best days ever in sports. UNless I missed something, Canada now leads the world in golds, with 10, which is a record. But the biggest WTF was when Canada failed to gold in Woman's curling, only getting a silver, when they had two easy shots to win it.

But yes, hockey will be a big game. Canada already won gold for the women's side, and will now look to do the same for the mens. With Luongo in net, the better at this time goalie, the story can be changed. But with Millers .950 save percentage, it will be a challenge. See you all at 12 PCT to see who wins.

Canada has tied the record for the most golds ever won by a host nation, when they captured their 13th, tying them with the commies. Canada also still leads in golds after the Martin rink won Gold in men's curling today. Canada still leads in golds, after they won THREE today, putting them up to 13. They also won a bronze, as they sit in 3rd place, pretty good for a nation of 32 million.

So, I haven't made a post in here yet, but I've been watching. I'll go over some of my highlights.

Ohno's first race was defnietly great TV. The Koreans were dominating, and they somehow suffered a major crash, allowing Ohno and fellow American Selski to get the silver and gold.

The Women's Moguls were pretty awesome as well. Jennifer Heil was about to win Canada's only Gold on home soild, but some American chick was up last and had a basically perfect run, giving her the Gold.

The next night was Men's Moguls. It was the same situation. A Canadian was in the lead with one guy last, but that was a Frenchman, so he obviously lost. It was a great moment with Canada getting their first Gold.

Curling has also was quite exciting for me to watch. After a few times, I finally figured out the rules, which made it very interesting. The best match I saw was Sweden's incredible comeback Women's Gold Medal game against Canada. They were down 2 going into the last end, and somehow were able to tie it up and steal one in the 11th end to win.

On to today, the Hockey Gold Medal Game. I hear it's basically the biggest hockey game ever in Canada. The atmoshpere has always been great up there, so I can't wait to watch it. Should be incredible, and while I still believe we're underdogs, I think the US can pull it off.

Well the games are over, and after 17 days, I am ever so happy for the Canadian squad. They went on to win 14 gold medals, and won both Ice Hockey golds, and won a Silver and a Gold in curling, as Canada dominated the Ice. We erased the embarresment that many might have felt from Turin. After a bit of a slow start, the 14 golds is something to be proud of, but there is a lot of room to grow, even as some of our seniour members of our team, like Witherspoon, and Klassen. And now, the 1976 Olympics, one that is infamous for Canada, loses the edge.

I never expected the games to end up on such a successful note after the rocky start we had but my god, it ended with a fucking bang. I'm incredibly proud to be Canadian and I'm proud of what an amazing job Vancouver did hosting the world. From our first gold medal on home soil to our final men's hockey gold... what a ride. All the athletes involved in the games are just unreal and exceptional in their own right, regardless of where they're from.

And now I'm going to go through withdrawals.

What a great game. Possibly one of the best I've seen all time, behind some of the bigger Pens game (Kasparitis OT goal comes to mind.) The Canadians basically dominated the game, but goaltending is always an equalizer. Ryan Miller was fantastic while Luongo was underwhelming.

If anyone was to score the winner for the Canadians, I would've wanted it to be Crosby. Congrats to him and the country. I can't imagine what would've happened if the US had won.

With the Olympics over, :(, I can say now the Olympics as a whole and for Canada were a big success. After the beginning with all of the weather issues, the events picked up and everything turned out great. The games have gotten a rave review and a I agree.

As for Canada, man did we pick up the pace in the 2nd week. We cleaned house and eventually took over the gold medal count and now hold the record for most golds in the winter olympics and most by a host country. Own The Podium has taken some heat for putting too much pressure on our athletes, but in the end it was a success. We may not have led in overall medals, but having the most gold more than makes up for it. The Men's Hockey Gold Medal game was everything that we expected and more. What a great way to end the Winter Olympics, it couldn't have been better. These were some of the most exciting and fun 2 weeks of my life and it truly was a special experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back