WWE using Khali to overshadow 'Ring ka King'???

MVA09

Punkamania
I'm an Indian so i love the Great Khali...but there is no denying the fact that he sux in the ring...A few months ago i read an article here in wrestlezone about khali not wanting to continue with the wwe...and wwe couldnt find any reason to retain him...so why suddenly was he brought back...and why suddenly has he been given such a big push...???

The obvious reason is ring ka king...They sure must have heard about the promotions TNA are doing for RKK and the response which they are getting...Moreover the ratings of 2.2(14 million viewers) for the debut show of RKK, something which even the wwe has found difficult for their smackdown brand to get, must have made the wwe to give this big push to the Great Khali...

So, does this mean that WWE actually pays a lot of attention to TNA...do they really see TNA as a threat ???

True, this is the only reason I could think why they will pair Khali with Orton all of a sudden and make him look like a genuine threat to him. Also, RKK has started with good viewer ship and i can see that improving since the drama in the middle of the ring is going to pick up soon. I already find myself want Pathani Pathe (marenge Ikathe :) ) to win.

That could also be the reason why Jinder Mahal came to ring in turban joining his hands, and most wrestlers in the ring were shown to be conscious of that.

If Khali is popular in India, Sunjoy dutt from TNA is not very unpopular in India either. I have watched all the episodes of RKK so far, and action in the middle is quite satisfactory.

I don't think so much of it as them seeing RKK as a threat, more a chance to "piggy back" on the success. Khali is always going to be the most famous Indian wrestler, so it makes sense for him to be prominent while wrestling is prominent. If anything it will probably help TNA having him on WWE TV, cos it will get casuals (who maybe don't know the difference between companies) to watch RKK to see if Khali shows up.

While I do agree with THTRobtaylor that Khali was always going to make money in India it's too much of a coincidence that Khali was brought back, given a big push just when RKK debuted. For the longest time the WWE has pretty much been content in keeping Khali as a midcarder comedy act, now he's one of the six in the elimination and getting a big push during WM season, a time when midcarders get relatively little attention.

I think they resigned Khali because they know he would have been tempted to compete for RKR. I mean, it certainly must've at least crossed his mind. And I'm sure RKR would have made him a top star, if not the face of the promotion. Assuming his contract was up, I don't know what other benefits WWE would have other than the money. I'm sure WWE pays a heck of a lot more. Especially considering RKR's schedule must be super-part time. I mean, they filmed months worth of shows in presumably a few weeks I hear.

Something I want to add but can't (for some reason)

Remember while WCW was beating WWF during the Monday Night Wars, one thing the WWF could count on was the international market. Something WCW barley even considered outside of some cross Japanese promotions. Europe, Asia, and other parts of the world were pretty much WWF's territory and allowed them to stay afloat. So of a response for the WWE not to lose the Indian Market and to make sure TNA does not get a hold of it. India as a whole is booming and has a large population and still untapped as far as Wrestling is concerned especially when India is going to surpass China in population in the next few years.

Pretty obvious this is the move they make to try to overshadow RKK.

India is a massive untapped market, for the most part, and if RKK takes off it would be enough to keep TNA alive for many, many years

It's a good point and one that I didn't really think about. Now while wrestling's pretty popular in India, give India's most famous "wrestler" some TV time.

I thought that the only reason Khali is on TV is because they changed the rumble winner from Jericho to Sheamus so Seamus was taken out of the Elimination Chamber and they just put in Khali as a replacement. Although that does not explain why they couldnt have stuck Hunico or someone in there instead, who was at least wrestling. So i think to say it has something to do with Ring Ka King is a good call IMO.

RKK got 2.2 rating in .... INDIA! In India WWE always gets 4+ ratings. The population is sky-rocketing and so are the wrestling lovers. They get to watch PPV's free. Now, that talks why TNA wants to develop its fan base more in India because it gets double the ratings with half the star power there.

Now onto the topic, Khali was brought back to be in the chamber. No Sheamus, No Henry..... They needed someone to take the place...:shrug:

I disagree that they brought Khali just for the Chamber. Remember Khali already left the WWE, so signing him a brand new contract just so he can participate in the Chamber just doesn't sound practical. Especially when Hunico, Drew McIntyre, Justin Gabriel (feuding with Rhodes), Goldust, or Eziikel Jackson can fit in to fill out a slot.

Now onto the topic, Khali was brought back to be in the chamber.

Just as Mark Henry was originally announced for Elimination Chamber but never made it to the event, the same may happen with Khali. I think WWE is monitoring Khali's fan reception in these weeks before EC to see if he can provide enough of an attraction to be a presence in the tournament. If they decide he can't, they'll get him "injured" and replace him with someone else.

But I have to admit it's been interesting the way they've used the big guy these past few weeks. It could be my imagination, but I swear he's been delivering his "chops" (his only offensive weapon, when you come down to it) with more authority than he used to. Plus, he's moving around the ring a little better, given that the poor guy still can barely bend his knees (which is why he looks like Frankenstein when he's coming down the ramp). Maybe the time off has allowed him to heal a bit. That, and a few cortisone shots.

No, he's never going to display the ring repertoire of a Daniel Bryan, but I loved Khali's reaction when Randy Orton tagged himself in the match by smacking Khali in the chest....... followed by Khali "tagging" Randy the same way. It almost made me believe Khali could function in a real storyline that doesn't involve bending down to kiss girls.

I was just thinking about this yesterday too while watching RKK... thought how big would it be for Khali to come out there since he's one of the only wrestlers to have both a name here and there (since wrestling hasn't taken off as big in India as in other countries, a lot of guys who were previously established are still going to have to build their names in India, even top stars from either promotion). Then I came to the same realization you did, WWE must have thought the same thing, that it would be a HUGE boost to RKK and in turn TNA to have Khali show up at that show and so they re-signed him and are making him relevant to help minimize the threat of TNA taking over a large, untapped market. It's smart and it's too bad, I would have liked to see him in RKK because I want to see it do great. And personally, I don't have a problem seeing Khali get a push, yes I'll admit he's a little tough to watch at times, but he's over 7 feet tall, of course he's going to be lanky, especially when trying to do choreographed things, but still, if used properly he can contribute a lot to a show. WWE has got to just accentuate the positives and hide the negatives... postives are He's freaking huge and a credible threat to anyone, negative, he's not putting on matches like DB or Punk, so have him wrestle less, just use a small arsenal of strong/basic moves and force guys to get creative in beating him and help boost both characters in the process. I think if WWE can utilize him better then they can be more proactive in gaining the Indian market, rather than just re-signing a talent in order to keep him happy and from joining a rival.

I have to agree that they brought Khali back to get in on some of the success that TNA are getting. While WWE is a longer established show and hence why it still beats TNA in the rankings, something like RKK should soon skyrocket because if you look at the IPL (Indian Premier League) in cricket, they love things that are their own.

A 2.2 in a country of billions isn't setting the world on fire and neither is WWE's 4.0 but I do think WWE were smart enough to bring back Khali especially when he's India's greatest wrestler in terms of success and fame. It's a smart business decision and with Khali being a household name and being on SD! they'll pull in more viewers - so maybe it is a piggyback move but TNA/RKK need not try to respond immediately. Just keep it up and they'll reap the rewards from there.

You've got to consider one thing with all of this. A 2.2 in India is probably not nearly as much money in ad revenue as a 2.2 in America. I don't claim to know much about India, but I can't imagine it's economy being at the level of America's. So just because people are watching, it doesn't mean those people are going to be making you any money.

Ratings are almost calculated in the same way throughout the world...It has nothing to do with population...2.2 is real good when you consider the fact that TNA really struggles even getting 1...True, high ratings in India doesnt mean lots of money...but more the TRP the better there chances of earning money...but the question is...is this unsettling the wwe...???

I don't see how Khali will or can in any way damage or overshadow Ra Ka King. We are talking about one man, who hasn't been utilized in months until recently, being bigger than an entire promotion built around catering to an Indian audience.

I don't think WWE feels in any way endangered by Ra Ka King. Khali in the EC is simply a great case of right place, right time. Loosing Mark Henry to injury left a whole in the Chamber match, being that it lost the dynamic of having two big men in the match. Khali was a natural replacement. I'd expect him to be one of, if not the very first person to be eliminated in the match.

Ra Ka King is probably going to do huge business in India in due time. A product completely crafted for a specific audience will trump one individual any day of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back