WWE PPVS Getting Longer?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to a story from the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE ppv events may be extending past 11 pm. The report states that WWE has told Sky Italia to begin reserving extra time for ppv events as the duration of those shows will vary.

As we all know, this happened with WrestleMania this year and not a lot of people gave it a warm reception. When you add up the kickoff show with the main card itself and the post show thing together, it was damn near 8 hours and it was just too damn much. Of course, it didn't exactly help things when you consider the Rock had an in-ring segment that ran for well over 30 minutes itself towards the end of the night when the crowd was getting tired and a lot of the booking for the matches was questionable. At the same time, depending upon the event and what sort of matches are on the card, having more time could be beneficial.

There weren't any real details given in the report and if it's legit, it sounds like the ppv length will be on a show by show basis.

It depends on what they use the extra time for. If this means more recaps, more ads, and more meaningless promos, then I'm against it. If this means more time for actual wrestling and maybe a couple of more matches, then I'm for it. As long as they don't go past 10:30 (central).

WWE doesn't understand the concept of "less is more", so this would not surprise me. This actually began with last year's Summerslam and how it was a "four-hour spectacular" or whatever.

If they're adding an extra hour, I like to think it'd only be for the big shows like Summerslam, the Royal Rumble, or Survivor Series. B-level shows like Payback and Battleground simply do not need to be that long.

I hope this is report is false or this at least won't affect every PPV as it's unnecessary and just too long.

I really don't see the problem. I'm pretty sure this is just because they always go over the hour at this point and the PPV servers used to force them to finish before 11. By reserving extra time it ensures that the ones paying the PPV fare for the event don't miss the last 15 minutes or so. I highly doubt this means they're moving PPV's up to 4 hours or something.

As for the excessive Mania and Summerslam stuff, I personally love it. I always wished that Mania was treated more like the Super Bowl and that I could just watch coverage, analysis, pre-show, etc. all day. That seems to be the direction they're headed in with Summerslam as well, which is cool with me. At the least, it means they're not handicapped by the time limits that previously limited them.

As long as they put on a good PPV. If I'm going to sit there for 4 hours watching wrestling I want to be entertained with good wrestling matches. I usually skip most of the pre show unless there's something on it worth watching (Not the case, most times).

Somewhere, Ryback is really sad, that they'll probably stop having Championship matches on the pre-show.

We saw some matches like Dean vs Brock that got cut super short, and completely ruined the pacing of the events, I would hope they don't just add an hour of wrestling, but actually give people their alotted time. I've also heard horror stories of wrestlings in the Gorilla position during a Wrestlemania, hoping for their big match, get told less than a minute before their match that it's cut, so hopefully that would fix those moments (although, we'll still get The Rock spending 10 minutes teasing grabbing a flamethrower, something that took longer than 2 matches on the card).

I'm kind of indifferent the more I think about it. for MOST ppvs, I'm left wanting more, it's something that makes me tune in the next night, if I get more, I might skip the aftermath and just read about it, I don't think more wrestling is necessarily good, overexposure is really hurting WWE all around.

I'm kind of indifferent the more I think about it. for MOST ppvs, I'm left wanting more, it's something that makes me tune in the next night, if I get more, I might skip the aftermath and just read about it, I don't think more wrestling is necessarily good, overexposure is really hurting WWE all around.
This. With the coming brand extension, WWE will be encouraging people to consume five hours of televised pro wrasslin' action per week on back-to-back nights. While the roster has improved dramatically in the past few years, the repetitive format of RAW/Smackdown is as stale as it has ever been.

Longer PPV's (or network specials) do absolutely nothing for me. Wrestlemania was torture, and the more time WWE has, the less wisely they seem to use it.

Depends on how they choose to use the extra time. Could just them covering their asses in case of overruns. I for one could do without them turning every PPV into the whole Wrestlemania experience with replays and expert opinions and bs like that. Give me my matches and get on with the show. Its not football I don't need a post match analysis.

I find that most PPV's end before 11:00 EST. There is always someone on the Live Discussion thread raising KB's ire asking why the PPV is ending before 11. I know cause I was that guy once myself.

As others have said it depends on how they use the time. If it's just for a bunch of recaps, then no, but if matches are being cut short because of time constraints then I'm all for it. Do we really need the Rock with a flamethrower taking up half an hour. Some might, I don't. That kind of stuff should only be happening if they have time to kill for whatever reason.

Usually don't watch the pre-show anyway, so wouldn't watch any post show either, so that's not a bother. If you don't have the Network and are paying full price, then you would be pissed if it cut out at 11 and you missed half of the main event. Can only see this happening for the major PPV's anyway, the B PPV's won't need the extra time.

As much as I love wrestling I felt wrestlemania including the pre show was just way too long this year and being from the UK watching it live it finished way too late by the main event time I was struggling to stay awake and just wanted it to be over. I look forward to Wrestlemania every year and its the only event I do watch live but the length and time for me was too much. I will still watch it considering its only once a year but if they start having all ppvs 8 hours long I just wouldn't have the time to watch to watch them all.

I was at WrestleMania and I couldn't wait to get out of that arena. That show was just too damn long. Instead of going over in time, cut the fucking pre-show and start the show at 7pm. People have work Monday morning. Staying up later for WWE isn't a priority for everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back