Rhodes vs. Demon

• The Dream

• Blue Demon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following matchup takes place in the WWE Region unde rWWE Rules from, Pittsburgh, PA.

#7. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
25Rhodes.jpg

vs.

#58. Blue Demon
bluedemonjrnw9.jpg

I'm going with Blue Demon here. Rhodes is known for his mic work, not his in ring work. Blue Demon is one of the most famous wrestlers in the history of Mexico. If Santo, his rival, is Hulk Hogan, Blue Demon is Ric Flair. This is really one sided for me, and you should vote for Demon. He helped make a great feud instead of getting carried to one.

Dusty is such an enigma in professional wrestling. He'd the classic embodiment of how the business USED to be, where the physique was optional. The man personifies charisma more than possibly any wrestler in history. If he had Hogan's physique, he may have been the greatest ever.

But he didn't. He lacked any semblance of athleticism. He HAD to be an underdog babyface, not just because you loved him, but because you felt sorry for him.

Blue Demon, on the other hand, is among the four greatest Mexican Luchadors ever (El Santo, El Canek, Mil Mascares the other three...) and as KB said, he and El Santo are the equivalent of Hogan / Flair in the US or Rikidozan / Inoki in Japan.

Dusty was all style, but I don't think he had the substance, and sadly charisma will only take the son of a plumber so far in a tournament like this one.

What might not get Demon into Round 2 is that he's not well known in America so the advantage will go to Rhodes. I like Demon's in-ring ability and Rhodes wasn't known for his wrestling and I thought he was mediocre in that department so I'm going with Demon.

Right, Blue Demon has got to win here. Dusty Rhodes, while quite succesful was always about his out of ring skills. In the ring, he wasn't as sloppy as he looked, but he was certainly nothing amazing.

Blue Demon is the greatest tecnico ever in lucha libre, and he was probably the only one who gained as much reverence in Mexico as he did. Demon was without question a great wrestler, and he could beat the big names.

In fact, he was just about the only person to ever get the better of Santo, and that is roughly akin to beating the Warrior clean, it just never happened.

It wasn't only Santo that he got the better of, he also managed to take the masks of some of the biggest named wrestlers in the 1980s, like Rayo de Jalisco, who was probably about as big as Dusty Rhodes.

Demon was a strong luchador, and would definitely be able to outpace Dusty Rhodes. Demon would win this one, but it wouldn't be easy.

Just noticed something. That picture is of Blue Demon Jr., who is a big named wrestler and the current NWA World Champion, but a far cry from the original Blue Demon. This brings up an issue. If it's Sr. then he would win, but if it's Jr. then Dusty would win. I'm assuming Blue Demor Sr., but I'd like to get some clarification.

I'm going with Blue Demon here. Rhodes is known for his mic work, not his in ring work. Blue Demon is one of the most famous wrestlers in the history of Mexico. If Santo, his rival, is Hulk Hogan, Blue Demon is Ric Flair. This is really one sided for me, and you should vote for Demon. He helped make a great feud instead of getting carried to one.

Dusty beat Flair for the NWA title at Starrcade 1985, and then again on July 26th 1986, both wrestles were still in their primes at that time, so basically you are comparing Blue Demon to a guy his opponent has already beaten in his prime twice, if Dusty can take out the guy you are comparing Blue Demon to twice, then what's to say he wouldn't be able to beat Blue Demon?, this is hardly one sided

I've done some research on Blue Demon, and I'm impressed. His speed and agility will take him over Rhodes, although I still think Rhodes is the better wrestler. The better man doesn't always win, but the man with the advantage does, if that makes any sense. Demon is too smart to try and mat wrestle here, so he'll win with some high spots.

My vote may still go to Rhodes, because it should be a closer match than it will turn out.

Just noticed something. That picture is of Blue Demon Jr., who is a big named wrestler and the current NWA World Champion, but a far cry from the original Blue Demon. This brings up an issue. If it's Sr. then he would win, but if it's Jr. then Dusty would win. I'm assuming Blue Demor Sr., but I'd like to get some clarification.

The picture of Santo is actually of El Hijo del Santo too. I'm assuming that both of them are the senior wrestlers. El Hijo del Santo is actually quite good, as is Blue Demon Jr., but neither of them have the kind of exposure that would warrant them being here, NWA champion or not. I was actually surprised to see that El Hijo was in a previous tournament, but Blue Demon Jr, is just a journeyman really, I am defo assuming that this is the original.

Dusty beat Flair for the NWA title at Starrcade 1985, and then again on July 26th 1986, both wrestles were still in their primes at that time, so basically you are comparing Blue Demon to a guy his opponent has already beaten in his prime twice, if Dusty can take out the guy you are comparing Blue Demon to twice, then what's to say he wouldn't be able to beat Blue Demon?, this is hardly one sided

Just because Blue Demon held a similar position to Flair in that he was the most notable heel of all time, doesn't mean that he's literally the same as Ric Flair. Unlike Flair, Demon usually won reasonably cleanly. If you want to play that game, El Mathematico was someone who enjoyed a lot of success in the mid 80s, taking the masks of various people, and had a very distinctive look, wearing a mask and cape covered in numbers. In that respect he held a similar position in Mexico to Dusty Rhodes in America. Blue Demon beat him for his mask, and then his hair, when he was almost 60 years old. In his prime, he'd have made light work of Dusty.

I've done some research on Blue Demon, and I'm impressed. His speed and agility will take him over Rhodes, although I still think Rhodes is the better wrestler. The better man doesn't always win, but the man with the advantage does, if that makes any sense. Demon is too smart to try and mat wrestle here, so he'll win with some high spots.

Demon was actually very good on the mat, but whether or not that will help him here I don't know. The obvious way for him to win is to use his agility, but he matches or beats Dusty in every respect but strength, so there's a number of ways for him to win.

My vote may still go to Rhodes, because it should be a closer match than it will turn out.

Please don't do this. Look at the Corino v Mike Awesome match. I am one of two people that said they would vote Awesome, yet he has miles more votes than that. People will blindly vote for Dusty Rhodes because they have heard of him. If you think Demon would win, vote for him.

This is kayfabe, and I don't think there are many wrestlers in history who were so undefeatable in kayfabe terms, except maybe the Warrior. He beat Santo, and continued to do so for years, something that is really hard to explain the magnitude of.

Demon has to win this match.

Please don't do this. Look at the Corino v Mike Awesome match. I am one of two people that said they would vote Awesome, yet he has miles more votes than that. People will blindly vote for Dusty Rhodes because they have heard of him. If you think Demon would win, vote for him.

I'm not positive who I'm voting for yet. As of now, my vote goes to Rhodes, only because I haven't seen any video of Blue Demon to have enough to put him over. I've researched him, but you can only read so much. If you have any videos, show them. To me, it's close, but Rhodes wins.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to seek out his best stuff, because it is hidden in the depths of the Spanish internet, if he stayes in I will do so before the next round. For the moment, this was the only proper fight I could find, which was when he was 67 years old.

[youtube]7ZTxpOzdjmQ[/youtube]

The thing he does at the end is his finisher. Bare in mind that lucha libre is always best of 3 falls, and the first fall is always weak.

The following videos are from closer to his prime, and show the way he worked really well. However, they are from Lucha Films, so they don't have a real crowd and the punches have sound effects added over them. Please don't take these too seriously, they are just an illustration of his style.

[youtube]dseYNnsushg[/youtube]

Reactions: NSL
There is a reason why Rhodes is considered a legend. He has beaten the best, he's beaten wrestlers of all sizes. He won numerous world titles and Dusty would squash this little blue suited flying pansy like bug. I don't give a fuck if Dusty is fat, nor do I care if this little blue bug is fast, Dusty would win this match. His success wasn't in the E but he is still larger than the Blue Demon.

Besides the fact I felt like I was watching a spaghetti western, I like him. He was pretty good on defense, and was fast as hell. But, I didn't see anything in his arsenal that would beat Dusty. A lot of the moves he did wouldn't send a 300+ lb. guy across the ring. He had some diving forearms, and shoulder tackles, but they wouldn't be as effective against Rhodes as they were against fellow luchadors.

I also like how you threw in a match with him and El Santo teaming ;)

Gotta go with the American Dream. It might be nothing but pure childhood bias, but I love Dusty Rhodes. Rhodes is my father's 2nd favorite wrestler of all time, behind Harley Race, and with good reason. The guy simply has the over all package. Dusty has an intangible that simply can't be explained. He's beaten the best men of his era in multiple matches, and he was the Baby Face of the NWA for years. Too many people let the image of latter career Rhodes in Polka-Dots taint how good the man actually was in the ring.

I agree that althought his moves may work against smaller men, they wouldn't be as effective against Dusty, so I'm voting for Rhodes here.

I should probably point something out at this point. Blue Demon was a face for the majority of his career. It's weird, but the man who was the most popular wrestler in Mexico, Santo was a heel, and the person humiliating and beating him, Blue Demon, was actually a face. I don't think that will affect your voting, but it is knowledge you should know.

As for Blue Demon not being able to take down Dusty, it's hard for me to come up with a video of that, seeing as he probably fought people that were as big as Dusty about 10 times. That being said, his mat work was excellent, so if Dusty got taken down he'd stay down, and if Rey Mysterio can headscissor takedown Kane, I don't see why Blue Demon, who's bigger and stronger than Rey wouldn't be able to use it on Dusty who's smaller than Kane.

I love me some Dusty Rhodes. The guy was so charismatic. Dusty was a decent wrestler and I think would be able to get by Blue Demon. Demon was quick and what not, but I think Dusty would be able to slow him down and dictate the match. And once he hits him a few bionic elbows, it is bye bye bye for Blue Demon.

People who vote for Blue Demon are people who desperate to look "smart". Most, if not all, of the people here couldn't speak of 4 things about the Blue Demon, if it weren't for Wikipedia.

I'm going with Dusty. He's a man who accomplished incredible things in his career, is an incredible worker with amazing personality, and has put on a good show for years.

Dusty Rhodes, with the win.

I will never understand the appeal of Dusty Rhodes. Today, this guy would have been a complete flop. As has already been mentioned, he relied heavily on charisma and mike work. However, I could never understand a thing he said. People give Tony Atlas a tough time now, so why aren't they being just as harsh on Dusty? Furthermore, Dusty's trademarks in the ring were rolling his fist and forearms into punches and flamboyantly rotating his wrists in the air for strength and stamina when he was down and out for the count; as can be seen, I mention nothing of moves here.

So, I'm going with Blue Demon. I love luchadores, and the Blue Demon is no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back