• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Over the Limit - WWE Title match - John Cena (c) vs. Batista - "I Quit" Match

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.

WWE Champion John Cena will face Batista in an “I Quit” Match for the WWE Title at Over the Limit, which will be the last time these two Superstars meet in the squared circle for the championship.

The storied rivalry between Cena and Batista has only intensified in recent months after their harrowing collision at WrestleMania XXVI, when The Champ capitalized with an STF and made The Animal tap out, capturing his seventh WWE Title.

Labeling Cena’s victory on The Grandest Stage of Them All a “fluke,” Batista challenged The Champ for the title once again at Extreme Rules in a Last Man Standing Match, one of the most brutal and physically taxing matches WWE has to offer. Ultimately, it was Cena’s ingenuity that would slay the 6-foot-6 behemoth when he taped Batista’s ankles around a ring post, preventing the incensed Animal from rising to his feet. Ten counts later, Cena emerged triumphant yet again, proving to Batista and the entire WWE Universe that it takes more than just brute force to secure championships.

Humiliated, Batista appeared on the May 3 edition of Raw to issue a Beat the Clock Challenge to determine the stipulation for their Over the Limit championship encounter, which Cena won later that night. The following week on Raw, Cena announced the WWE title bout would be an “I Quit” Match, an anything goes contest that both of these battle-hardened competitors are more than familiar with — for better or worse.

As its name suggests, the only way to win an “I Quit” Match is to make your opponent utter the words “I quit” by any means necessary. Both Cena and Batista will need to push themselves to the limit—and over it—for the WWE Championship at WWE Over the Limit Sunday, May 23, only on pay-per-view.
Last Monday night on Raw, (with Edge's help) Batista won a triple threat match against Randy Orton and Sheamus to face John Cena for the WWE championship at the upcoming Over the Limit PPV.

Please keep all discussion in regards to the match in this thread.

Please do not discuss anything that may be a spoiler pertaining to internet rumors of the competitors' futures. If you wish to discuss such things, enclose them in spoiler tags or you risk warnings or infractions for posting spoilers.

Thank you.

So word on the street is that this is batistas last ppv and they didnt want to start a new fued...
IMO i think this is good thing as far as having this be thier third consecutive main event ppv..i got tired of seeing a fued end like right after a ppv or one match..ive really enjoyed this fued..im guessing this match will have a stipulation probably a cage or i quit match....these two play off each other soo well and no matter how much you dog cena hes had some awsome fueds with orton edge jericho batista....they play off each other well and keep my entertained..there last match was awsome no lie..the ending was perfect in my eyes seeing batista squirming and freaking out cause he couldnt get up...priceless.....but this match..like i sad probably an i quit match something in that nature...hoping this is a classic...

well i think its a goodbye for dave its the last ppv for him i think so
i think if they made it I QUIT match would be really great , first would be an end for fued or they just make some terms on this match maybe if batista Loses he leaves the WWE , and if john cena loses he goes to smackdown or any other term so anyways .. john cena wins and end this fued and batista i think he will be leaving anyways so it would be a great match if it was like that and everybody will look forward for it ..

I have a feeling they will go the "If I (Dave) lose then I will leave the WWE and never come back." route. It's gonna be predictable but as we saw last month these two can actually put on an entertaining match. Although I believe it had more to do with the weapons and the drama that a Last Man Standing Match brings naturally than the two competing in it, but I am actually looking forward to it this month as well.

As this is possibly Batista's last match, odds are Cena retains but this should be good.

I'm glad WWE is taking this route with them. This is the perfect time to bring closure to the feud that started just a little bit before Wrestlemania. Now I have never been a fan of either wrestler, but I will say the matches that they have had together have been very entertaining. Let's see what happens from there.

i guess my main complaint about this match would be that it can very easily become predictable. and no, i don't mean because of the 15 minute beatdown followed by the Super Cena five move comeback for the win. that's just a part of wrestling. been done with Hulk, Ultimate Warrior and even Tatanka had his rain dance. it just is as it is and i watch wrestling because it entertains me. not because i'm looking for a glimpse into reality.

my point about it possibly becoming too predictable is that it seems very likely that Batista is done with wrestling, or at least the WWE, very soon and so he likely will not be winning the title on his way out the door. which means that he'll be losing. again. and that's a bit sad to me. i don't know the guy personally so i can't say whether i like him or not, but i've enjoyed his characters, gimmicks, feuds and matches for awhile now and hate to see someone that gave so much leave on a low note. not everyone can leave a champion, i get that, but still. this poor guy has lost every match, dark or televised or pay per view for like three months now.

other than being sad for batista, i'm actually really looking forward to this match as i like to see both men work together and have since their brief outting at the 2005 Royal Rumble. can't wait to see what kind of gimmick match they give this. should be great!

I loved the ending to their LMS match. It helped get away from that Superman Cena that people complain about because frankly beating the crap out of each other wasn't enough. Cena literally had to tape him down for the win.

Gotta agree with the people saying this would be an "I quit" match. Their first match was ok. The LMS match was good. But getting to a 3rd match, which doesn't happen often these days, you gotta believe it'll start to get a little old soon. You gotta think that with how Batista keeps saying Cena can't beat him, though he has twice, he's going to take it that step further saying if he loses he will quit the WWE for good, or at least stop challenging Cena ala Randy Orton last year.

Does anyone care about Batista? Lol. He seems to be hated by everyone.

I agree with the I Quit Match. Hes leaving anyway. And besides the IWC not many people know about it. It would be perfect for the fans as they don't expect a guy whos been pushed like heck for the past few weeks and who main evented the WWE title match at Mania to be suddenly fired.
I also believe Cena will retain. Since they haven't made any new feuds its obvious their just stalling.

i think, they will add a stip to match. i mean the feuds gone on for nearly four months and we all thought it would end at Extreme Rules, but that wasn't the case.

who knows? maybe a retirement match, i quit match?

I hope this match will be just Batista and Cena but for some reason I think Sheamus will be added after what happened on raw. I hope he dont but I think it will turn into a triple threat match because sheamus has no other opponent with triple h being out.

John Cena will win this match. Even if the rumors about Batista aren't true, I still believe Cena will win this match. The only three people I could possibly see Cena losing the title to are Edge, Orton, or Sheamus. These three men will be involved in the WWE championship picture for the rest of the year, and early 2011.

I think we're going to see some what of a lengthy Cena title reign. This should be a good match because the match at Wrestlemania was awesome, and the Last Man Standing match was also good. I've been a fan of the Cena/Batista rivalry, and I'm happy to see it continue, but there's no way in hell Batista wins here, even if the rumors aren't true.

Did he pick the stipulation yet? I guess not. Don't really have a problem with this here. Three PPVs in a row seems like a pretty reasonable number. It kind of sucks for Batista that he's going to lose 3 in a row, but that's what happens when you're a HEEL. In retrospect, maybe they should've given him a W at Wrestlemnia, just to be nice.

Hopefully the gimmick will be interesting enough to add a little something extra to this feud. As long as it's not something incredibly stupid, I'm sure these two will be able to produce an at least above average match, as they have everytime they've met.

I'm excited to see what the stipulation for this match-up will be, and I think it's gonna be a great match, these two have been putting on amazing matches if you ask me, ever since their performance at Wrestlemania 26.

I think it'll be a very back and forth match, but in the end, I think John Cena might again end up coming out on top, either way I'll be excited for this one, even if it's been going on for a longer period where you'd probably start getting tired of the matches usually, I have to admit this is one of the feuds I'm actually still interested in.

Tonight on Raw, John Cena made the announcement that his WWE Championship match at "Over the Limit" against Batista will now be an "I Quit" Match. If John Cena loses, he automatically gives up his rematch clause.

Let's discuss it all in here.​

I'm looking forward to this match quite a lot. They have had two really good matches with eachother and this could be the third. The I Quit stipulation will make it more interesting and make if different from their other matches. If its anything like Cena's other matches then it should definetly be good.

I see Cena going over Batista here, I just don't see WWE having Cena lose just yet as I think he'll lose it to Sheamus once again later in the year but that's for another thread. It sucks that Batista is going to lose once again but hopefully he'll look like a bad ass and won't lose in some silly way like at Extreme Rules.

For some reason, I am not getting the same thrill out of this feud as I was getting a couple of months ago. It could be that they have been going at this since before Wrestlemania and it is getting quite boring but I don't think that is it, to be honest. No, I think it's that I was expecting more from these guys. So far, Batista has lost every single one of the match and has tapped out, making him a laughing stock to the fans. Cena has been his usual self and been frankly good at it. However, I seriously thought that Batista was going to go over Cena at least a couple of times if they were going to make this feud balanced and interesting.

That being said, I also expected more from this match. The way Cena was going on about it on Raw last Monday, I was hoping for a Hell In A Cell or a Steel Cage Match or something equally brutal and exciting. Yet, they went for the I Quit Match and I was quite disappointed for it to be that. Don't get me wrong, I Quit Matches have a definite purpose and really puts it in no doubt who is better in kayfabe terms. However, you would think for a match like this, they would have a big stipulation for the match itself and they never really done that. I understand that Hell In A Cell matches may be a thing of the past in the WWE but an I Quit match just seems mediocre.

I fully expect Cena to go over again and I don't think that Batista has any chance of taking away the Championship this time around. However, if he does manage to beat Cena, at least it is over for the time being and something more fresh can happen for these guys.

I actually want Batista to win this one. He has lost two matches in a row and I actually consider him the underdog now since Cena is unstoppable. Last match, Cena cheated to win and as of now these matches are predictable: Cena pulls out the win.

To keep this fresh have Batista pull out the victory. Heel or not, Batista is the underdog.

I actually want Batista to win this one. He has lost two matches in a row and I actually consider him the underdog now since Cena is unstoppable. Last match, Cena cheated to win and as of now these matches are predictable: Cena pulls out the win.

To keep this fresh have Batista pull out the victory. Heel or not, Batista is the underdog.

See, I would agree with you, if I didn't think that a Batista win would stop this feud in it's tracks. As you may or may not have noticed on Raw, this past Monday, Cena withdrew his chance at a rematch if Batista won the match. I personally don't consider Cena to be a person that would go back on his word or try and get out of that scenario. That being said, if Batista does go over Cena at Over The Limit, then the feud will effectively be over for the mean time. If Cena wins, I don't possibly see how they could put Batista back in there. It would make no sense to put him back in if he has lost 3 on the trot to him and I personally see him being replaced with Sheamus.

As for Cena "cheating" to win the last match, that could not be further from the truth, could it? He used a smart idea to keep Batista down and it is perfectly legal under the rules of the stipulation. In that case, it is hardly cheating is it?

The duct tape thing is a heelish thing to pull and also cartoonish silly. The face wrestling thing to do would've been beat Batista down until Batista couldn't stand. IMO the match was a draw.

Honestly, I would rather see Sheamus and Batista duke out for the title than Cena and Sheamus. Cena/Sheamus was already done. Sheamus/Batista, heel vs brutal heel, would be fresh.

This match could quite frankly be one of the most brutal matches in the PG-era. If they could take it farther than the last man standing match, it could be match of the year. I have a feeling Shaemus will find his way into this match for a while until Cena takes him out, or maybe Batista? I would love to see Shaemus get speared through the backdrop area. Anyways i have a feeling this could be match of the year.

On a polish wrestling site, there was some news that Batista's friends say he isn't ending with wrestling and WWE yet, and has no plans to leave. If it's true, and considering the stipulation that Cena won't use rematch, and nothing about Batista leaving, Batista wins.
On next RAW we may see that Batista will have to leave WWE if he looses, and Super Cena will retain the title, but i think he will drop it to Edge on fatal 4 way whatever. And, by the way, if Batista would leave, that would be second WWE's biiig star leaving the brandthis year...

Meh, this sucks. When the whole stipulation thing was announced, I was sure Cena would pick Loser Leaves Town. But apparently Batista isn't ready to throw in the towel yet, much to my annoyance. But an I Quit match - Cena doesn't say I Quit, ever. He can be pinned, maybe even he could tap, but he'd never say I Quit. Batista taps out in the STFU. Nothing else actually makes sense here in any possible world. There's no point in Batista winning anyway: Cena retaining sets up more potential feuds with Edge and Orton, and Dave can bugger off and go feud with Morrison or something.

Well Cena can't lose the match, therefore he has to win... I think.

They've built up Cena so that he'll never quit, he's the superstar, the hero, overcoming the odds, he won't say I quit.

The only thing I will say is the whole Cena saying he revokes his right to a rematch clause. If Batista won normally we'd have to see another Cena v Batista match.

I do wish Shaemus would've have made it into this match (obviously not as an I Quit match). Would've livened things up a bit.

It makes me chuckle the way the announcers tried to build this up as Cena being the underdog. There is absolutely NO way that John Cena is going to say "I quit" in a match. Hopefully it will be a good one, but I think we all know the outcome.

If Batista is leaving, the way I would do it is have Batista win the match (which will never happen due to Cena never saying 'I Quit', and it would make no sense winning the title if he is leaving. However, as soon as he wins the match, he walks up the ramp with mic in hand and says 'I Quit!' and throws the belt down.

This sets up for Raw, where he says he quits because he has done it all and has proven he is better than Cena and the WWE or something. Thus, the title is vacant. This would in turn mean a tournament is made to determine contenders at Fatal Fourway.

So it would be Cena (using his rematch clause) vs. Orton vs. Edge vs. Sheamus.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back