• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE No Way Out 2012: John Cena VS Big Show

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
20120521_NWO_cena_bigshow.jpg

As the saying goes, desperate times call for desperate measures, and it’s hard to argue that Big Show was anything other than desperate when he jumped ship to People Power and allowed John Laurinaitis to save his own job a mere six days after Big Johnny callously terminated the giant on Raw SuperShow.

Big Show’s appearance at WWE Over the Limit was meant to herald the death bell for Laurinaitis’ much-maligned movement, but the giant planted his signature WMD against the face of John Cena instead, helping Mr. Excitement retain his job and keep People Power chugging along. (WATCH: BIG SHOW & SUPERSTARS REACT) And with The World’s Largest Athlete reinstated by a grateful Laurinaitis and Cena looking to settle the score, it’s only right that the two should face off one-on-one at No Way Out.

Cena and Big Show have, it should be noted, a more contentious history than the WWE Universe might remember. The giant famously chokeslammed Cena through a spotlight at Backlash 2009 (WATCH), and The World’s Largest Athlete clashed with The Cenation Leader over the United States Championship at WrestleMania XX (Cena won that contest, relieving the giant of the title). Big Show had worked prior to Over the Limit at keeping the WWE Universe in his good graces, but as the giant announced on Raw SuperShow the night after Over the Limit, he seems to feel his efforts have been unreciprocated.

Show claimed that Cena and the WWE Universe were not qualified to judge him, and his decision was made for love of the business and the security of his new, "ironclad" contract. He did what he had to do, despite the steepness of the price.

The price may yet get steeper, though. With Cena’s nemesis still running the show, and with a 7-foot wrecking ball at his disposal to boot, Cena is looking to make Show answer for his actions. After all, as the other saying goes, what goes around comes around, and The World’s Largest Athlete might well find it’s time to pay the piper when he meets Cena one-on-one.

Cena and Show could deliver an enjoyable match at Over The Limit, but finding some genuine excitement for this match won't be easy for me. You had to expect this match after Show's attack at Over The Limit, but still, it's Show VS Cena. John Cena just finished up two feuds with The Rock and Brock Lesnar.....and now he's feuding with Show? It's like having filet mignon or veal parmesan for dinner every week, and then all of the sudden, someone shoves a bag of McDonlad's in front of your face. It's a huge step backwards.

Big Show is more than capable of portraying a solid heel character, and with his size, Show can provide a legit intimidating presence. I can't remember the last bad Cena match, and both men did provide one of the more entertaining opening Wrestlemania matches at Mania XX, but I don't have big expectations for this one.

With all that said, Cena VS Show at No Way Out should be a solid enough match, and there's always the chance of seeing the awe-inspiring sight of an Attitude Adjustment on Show. This probably won't be the last match we see between these two, and Show VS Cena could evolve into a lengthy feud. Also, Show's character will probably go in the direction of a lackey/bodyguard role for John Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis is a real heat magnet, and his presence will only benefit Show's character change.

What are your thoughts?

I can't remember the last bad Cena match

Did you see his "match" against Laurinaitis? :disappointed: Though, I assume you're talking about a real match so I'll agree with you from that standpoint.

Anyways, I do agree with your point that this is a step down. But honestly, that doesn't bother me as much as the whole angle in itself. They can spin it however they want, it made a hell of a lot less sense for Show to attack Cena than to just let Laurinaitis lose and get his job back with the new GM. His sudden heel turn makes no sense IMO. I actually turned last night's main event off because it was clear how it was going to end. The sooner all of this ends, the better. The one positive I see about all this is that they're taking JL's heel persona so far at this point, you know it's going to end sometime not too far away and the audience will get some sort of payoff.

As for the match itself, barring any crazy stipulations, at this point I'd have to give it to Cena. I expect it to eventually end up in a cage match as well.

I couldn't possibly be less excited for a match than I am for this one. But my one real question is: what happens if Cena gets punched one time? Because apparently he can be bashed with chairs and steel steps, busted wide open, hit with repeated high impact finishing moves, but can't sustain a single punch from the Big Show.

i have no problem with big show but really they did a angle with kane and cena and nobody fucking cared kane is a hell of alot more intresting then big show is and nobody gave a shit. now big show was feuding in the midcards for a while and now he is main eventing a damn pay per view? most people did not care about big show then and most dont care about him now. for a feud of storyline to be good it takes two people to pull it off but most fans dont really care about big show i know i dont maybe im just speaking for myself.i know its more about cena and johnny but they still have to keep us a little intrested in the whole thing and see i did not order this pay per view casue i knew that this was going to happend i just think big show is way past this type of shit hes been there to long and has done all the heel turns and face turns nothing new we dont care. why not give that spot to mix, ziggler,drew,swagger, kofi, somebody new but the big show who cares

Cena and Show could deliver an enjoyable match at Over The Limit, but finding some genuine excitement for this match won't be easy for me. You had to expect this match after Show's attack at Over The Limit, but still, it's Show VS Cena. John Cena just finished up two feuds with The Rock and Brock Lesnar.....and now he's feuding with Show?

With all that said, Cena VS Show at No Way Out should be a solid enough match, and there's always the chance of seeing the awe-inspiring sight of an Attitude Adjustment on Show. This probably won't be the last match we see between these two, and Show VS Cena could evolve into a lengthy feud. Also, Show's character will probably go in the direction of a lackey/bodyguard role for John Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis is a real heat magnet, and his presence will only benefit Show's character change.

What are your thoughts?
first off, they could deliever an enjoyable match, but i dont see it. they have had numerous matches in 2009 and those werent great and now they are both older which is why some fans dont want to see this match, we have seen it. we have seen Cena pick up Show for the AA numerous times and if this is a lengthy feud, that doesnt make me any happier. they have had one on one matches, matches where Show threw Cena through a speaker (i think it was a speaker) and a match where Cena made Show tap out after the announcers kept saying John couldnt make him tap out. the only way a lengthy feud with them is exciting is if these two improve their in ring chemistry and styles which i sadly doubt will happen.

This is a rehash of the Cena vs Show feud from 2009, now that isn't always a bad thing, revisiting classic feuds is part and parcel of the business, however their feud was far from classic and was just a series of average matches of which Cena won them all, thus killing any monster heel possibility for Show.

On paper this pairing should work, Cena is good at working the big guys and Show is a good giant, but the past indicates that they do not gel very well.
I just hope it's not the main event of the PPV.

As long as its not the main event, I don't mind too much. It's an ok storyline, I mean, otherwise Cena would've been put in the Punk/Bryan storyline or the 3/4 man WHC picture which is starting to evolve really well, especially Jericho/Orton

As long as its not the main event, I don't mind too much. It's an ok storyline, I mean, otherwise Cena would've been put in the Punk/Bryan storyline or the 3/4 man WHC picture which is starting to evolve really well, especially Jericho/Orton

I agree as long as Cena and Big Show are not the main event I don't mind as well they always have Cena close the show win or lose and to me the Main Event spot should be the WWE title match, not a singles match. But that's WWE for you now Have the poster boy on last like always even if he's not the champion anymore he always has to go on last '' because the kids love him and he's a good sell for WWE'' Id rather have CM Punk Vs Daniel Bryan as the main event there a hell of a lot better and it would be a great main event with those two to close the show not Cena and Big Show.

I agree as long as Cena and Big Show are not the main event I don't mind as well they always have Cena close the show win or lose and to me the Main Event spot should be the WWE title match, not a singles match. But that's WWE for you now Have the poster boy on last like always even if he's not the champion anymore he always has to go on last '' because the kids love him and he's a good sell for WWE'' Id rather have CM Punk Vs Daniel Bryan as the main event there a hell of a lot better and it would be a great main event with those two to close the show not Cena and Big Show.

Serious question: why can't we just accept that Cena is in the main event to keep the kids happy and Punk is holding the WWE title to keep the internet fans (or whatever you want to call those people) happy? Would you rather have Cena main eventing and holding the title?

I get your frustration, but at some point the entire fanbase just needs to accept the fact that everything isn't always going to be exactly how you want it. In six months, who will even care that Punk/Bryan came on at 9:30 and Cena/Big Show came on at 10:30? It won't matter.

Serious question: why can't we just accept that Cena is in the main event to keep the kids happy and Punk is holding the WWE title to keep the internet fans (or whatever you want to call those people) happy? Would you rather have Cena main eventing and holding the title?

I get your frustration, but at some point the entire fanbase just needs to accept the fact that everything isn't always going to be exactly how you want it. In six months, who will even care that Punk/Bryan came on at 9:30 and Cena/Big Show came on at 10:30? It won't matter.

I think it's not so much about the timeslot but more of a message that Cena is bigger than the title. The title is supposed to be the most coveted prize in the industry, and having Cena constantly going on after the title match devalues the title's importance. Casuals may not view it that way, which I'm assuming is what you're getting at, but I haven't seen the title consistently viewed as this much of an afterthought since...well, maybe never.

Really don't care. I guess they can build the match up a bit over the next few weeks, but I really can't get myself hyped for a match with these guys. Cena will work his ass off and bump like crazy for Show, Show will try his hardest not to blow up 5 minutes in, but the result is probably just going to be a boring match. It'll be Show's best match of the year though. :shrug:

I'm really not looking forward to this, either. I've never been a big fan of Big Show's and his matches aren't exactly barnburners. John Cena's the best in the business, his matches generally live up to the hype -- shit, I enjoyed what he did with Johnny Ace -- but I'm not sure this will be anything other than your average TV match, which is a shame, since they're supposed to sell a PPV around this. If they put this match in a cage, there will be some potential for excitement, but I still don't see Cena and Show pulling off a great match. It'll be passable, but I'm not going to care all that much.

I'd think Cena will lose this match. I get that he wants revenge on Laurinaitis, but they'll be able to stretch this angle out to Summerslam, at the very least. There's no need to hotshot Cena right over Show and then leave Laurinaitis to find a new lackey. Show's freshly turned heel and he's got some decent momentum -- I'll admit, his promo on Monday was pretty good -- he'll be able to get one win over Cena, even if it is a little bit "shady." So, this is Cena's match to lose, but I'm very interested to see how they approach Big Show AFTER this match. I want to see how far they'll take this heel character, if they'll use Johnny Ace's influence to maybe get him some title matches or something.

Just don't get the point in this match. Why would you put these two in a match. I don't want to see it and i doubt there are people out there dying to see this match. Big Show has been in decline for years now and i think Cena is above him. They could have a match with much more interest than this but it seems the easy option is too put him in a match against the heaviest guy in the roster.

The IWC will hate this because both wrestlers will logically work at a slower pace. Cena will take the time to sell Show's moves to illustrate how much more even a simple elbow from Show hurts than the average guy. Show will move more methodically to show that he's in control. Show won't do a lot of flashy moves, which the IWC will hate, but it'll make sense because he's 7' tall and 450 pounds so why the fuck would he? Cena won't get a lot of offense in, and just like any other story ever told in any medium ever, he will have a huge comeback. He'll still sell whatever body part Show works on, he'll just do it in a more subtle way but the IWC will come on here and bitch "STUPID SUPER CEENUH NOT SELLING".

Sound about right?

The IWC will hate this because both wrestlers will logically work at a slower pace. Cena will take the time to sell Show's moves to illustrate how much more even a simple elbow from Show hurts than the average guy. Show will move more methodically to show that he's in control. Show won't do a lot of flashy moves, which the IWC will hate, but it'll make sense because he's 7' tall and 450 pounds so why the fuck would he? Cena won't get a lot of offense in, and just like any other story ever told in any medium ever, he will have a huge comeback. He'll still sell whatever body part Show works on, he'll just do it in a more subtle way but the IWC will come on here and bitch "STUPID SUPER CEENUH NOT SELLING".

Sound about right?

It sounds about right to me. Unless they were to take things in more of a no holds barred/street fighting direction it's really all they can do. I just hope it isn't the main event.

This WILL be the main event. Cena hasn't been in the title picture all of 2012, yet he is ALWAYS the main event. Elimination Chamber against Kane, Wrestlemania against Rock, Extreme Rules against Lesnar and Over the Limit against Johnny.

You think if they put Cena and Johnny in the main event that Cena and Big Show in a steel cage won't be????

This is the main event. The only PPV Cena hasn't main evented this year was the Royal Rumble and if there wasn't a "Royal Rumble" in that, Cena would've probably main evented that too.

Sound about right?

Oh, I see, Cena now sells in a "more subtle way". This sarcastic "oh there's no REAL problems with Cena, it's jsut IWC being bitchy, LOL!" gets you no where.

Cena has done this match constantly for 7 years. Hell, he did it two months ago against Lesnar.

Cena gets the crap kicked out of him for 20 minutes. Super Cena comeback. He wins. He immediately stops selling anything from the match and cuts a corny promo about how he never gave up. All this build of Big Show at the expense of the mid card is rendered pointless after three weeks.

Gee, I've never seen that before.

This is what, the third time he's feuded with Big Show? It's absolutely pointless. And he still, STILL has the "odds are stacked against him, what an underdog!" card being played? Seriously? Punk already destroyed that notion last summer with one of his promos, but they still try to pretend Cena is an underdog?

This just in. Vince turns on Cena, Big Show wins, Vince fully endorses John Laurinaitis and "people power", just a hunch that surely I'm not the only one thinking it.

My guess is that this is whats going to happen although it's not what I want to happen as it feels very predictable. I don't see Show losing this match with the build they have given it. If Show loses then they really have nowhere to go with his character and his relationship with Big Johnny.

I assume Vince is turning on Cena and I get the reasoning for it. It makes sense and keeps the storyline going but I hope they find a better, more clever way to do it. Honestly I have very little interest in this match and truthfully it kind of makes me not want to order it. I will in hopes Daniel Bryan wins the title (and if he doesn't it will still be a good match) but I don't care at all to see this particular match.

From LaBar:

WZ has learned from sources that Linda McMahon's campaign for Senate in Connecticut could be affecting both a major WWE storyline and the company's decision to fire talent.

Our sources report that WWE is holding back on firing any talents right now because of Linda McMahon's campaign, which is promoting her as a "job creator." In the past, WWE has been known to do some spring cleaning after WrestleMania season and release several talents in a short period of time. This wave of mass releases hasn't happened yet and sources are telling WZ it may not happen this year in order to avoid bad publicity for McMahon's political campaign.

We're also being told that McMahon being a "job creator" could affect tonight's storyline with John Laurinaitis having his job evaluated by Vince McMahon. Sources said they wouldn't be surprised if Laurinaitis got some kind of stay of approval as opposed to Mr. McMahon's typical "you're fired" gimmick.

I don't know HOW true this is. It sounds a little too far out there since I would think most people who vote know that these are storylines only and these guys don't really get fired.

But if true, could we see a scenario where both guys DON'T get fired?

I don't know HOW true this is. It sounds a little too far out there since I would think most people who vote know that these are storylines only and these guys don't really get fired.

But if true, could we see a scenario where both guys DON'T get fired?

The problem is, this is typical Vince knee-jerk reaction thinking, if true. For someone who goes out of his way to protect his product as being fake and sports entertainment, not wrestling, he sure changes his mind on the whim of his perception of the voting community, most of which don't likely watch wrestling.

It's hard to believe we're almost a year into John Laurinitis as an on-screen authority figure, and I don't believe WWE is done running that angle yet. They've yet to even hint at who would take his place(Teddy Long? Eve? ), and Vince McMahon as a weekly TV character is simply overexposed. Vince is good for what he did on Monday- return, pop a rating, see a small storyline through, then come back again in 3 months.

So with that being said, I think Big Show takes this match. It's odd that they're doing the first match of what is likely a longer feud inside a steel cage, as that's generally a blow-off type match. Unless these two are one and done, of course. If they are, all the more reason for Big Show to win this match. It reminds me of when Batista turned heel, and he destroyed Rey Mysterio in their first match together. Unless WWE thinks that Show beating up on Brodus, Kofi, and R-Truth is enough to establish his dominance(it isn't) there's no chance Show can lose here.

Simply put, he needs a credible, big-time victory to establlish himself as a Giant, not an Entertainer. One over John Cena does exactly that.

I have just never been able to get into the Big Show. Cena's matches are usually pretty enjoyable to me, but I just don't have any interest in this match. Something tells me Show will win due to something from the outside, and this feud will go on a bit longer.

After Raw this week, I don't think Big Show can lose. After Cena's speach to him saying if Show loses that he will be nothing and have nothing else to do etc, etc..., how can you book Big show losing without making him totally irrelavent after Cena's speach

I don't care about this match whatsoever. I really don't. It's pretty safe to say that Cena is going to win, although I really doubt Johnny is going to get fired. I'm sure this will be one of the lower quality matches of the night, mainly due to the fact that Big Show is already getting extremely boring as a heel. Even though I'm a Cena fan, I just do not have any interest in this match. None. To make matters worse, WWE will probably have this close the show. There is NO reason to have this main event. NONE!!!! WWE have forgotten the definition of what is main event worthy, I just don't get it. I think there will end up being some type of complicated finish to the match, as I doubt Johnny will end up getting fired or that Cena will lose.

Even if Johnny did get fired, what would they do about the GM spot? I sure hope they wouldn't just have Vince run both shows again. I am SO sick of Vince, I never want to see him onscreen ever again. Things were better when Triple H ran the show. Hey, maybe Johnny does get fired and they bring Trips back as the authority figure. Or Vince could hand the spot over to heels like Otunga or Eve.... The possibilities are out there, I'm leaning toward Johnny sticking around though. He is rather hated as a heel and they seem to be trying to turn him into the Mr McMahon of this generation. Cena wins and moves on to some random other feud that closes the next PPV but shouldn't, Big Show moves on to some other filler feud that no one cares about, Johnny stays on as GM due to complicated finishes to the match.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
John Cena will defeat Big Show.

I'm sure this will be one of the lower quality matches of the night, mainly due to the fact that Big Show is already getting extremely boring as a heel.

That's because his heel turn made no sense. I can't get behind something that is so blatantly illogical. They can try and spin it however they want, it still makes no sense.

And as I've stated before, I don't give a crap either. They're trying to make people care by adding the stipulation of JL getting fired, but seeing as that's probably not going to happen, I see Show winning now.

its a pickle for WWE, I have heard cena would rather continue in WWE than be at home, as working keeps his mind off the divorce process, so it does point to a cena win as he always wins. But with show turning heel, if he loses? what do they do with show then? Its a problem for the WWE, I do not buy into the rumors show and punk will feud at summerslam, has I see Punk and Bryan having one more match at summerslam to round off their huge feud. They have also put allot of time into the Ace character, if they fire him? it would have been a waste, and they will have to find someone else new. But perhaps HHH will be a onscreen GM, who knows to bump up the ratings, maybe they have a fresher GM up their sleeve who can draw more heat, than Ace is doing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back