WWE Night Of Champions 2013: Curtis Axel & Paul Heyman VS CM Punk

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As with Del Rio vs. RVD, this is a match that I expected WWE to have for NOC when I'd heard it reported on various sites that this particular match would be a dark match for the live crowd after Raw went off the air. This was billed as an elimination handicap match, but no mention was made as to whether or not it's for the Intercontinental Championship. I personally doubt it will be for the title since Punk's focus is on gaining revenge on Heyman. There's still a couple of weeks until NOC so it could be announced as being for the title as well, but I don't expect it.

All in all, I'm not all that excited about this match. It should be pretty entertaining all in all but it looks as though the ending of this match is so obvious that the match itself seems to be just a drawn out pretense. The fact that it's an elimination handicap match all but suggests that Punk will score some sort of fall on Curtis Axel, thereby leaving Paul Heyman all alone in the match against a vengeful Punk.

If I knew that it was going to lead to a rematch between Punk & Lesnar, due to Punk beating the snot out of Heyman and Lesnar returning to take up for his close friend, then I think the whole thing would be worth it. Rumor going around, however, is that Lesnar's next match won't be until WrestleMania and that it'll most likely be against The Undertaker.

So, Punk will probably wind up getting his vengeance on Heyman, the crowd will pop & cheer, another mid-card champion will job out to a main eventer and everyone'll move on.

Since this is Night Of Champions, I don't think that they will not have the IC title defended on the PPV. They will probably add a spin to this one, a stipulation, where Punk can only win the title if he pins Curtis Axel and not by pinning Paul Heyman.

However this seems like a fun match-up since everyone wants to see Punk giving an ass whooping to Paul E. But given the fact that this 2-to-1 I am still not 100% about Punk winning. Guess we'll have to wait in order to find out.

Interesting, isn't it? Last night on Raw, Punk's fervent desire seemed to be getting Paul Heyman into the ring.

Is beating up a fat, old manager who's never been a wrestler really his goal? Can't Punk sneak up on him in the dressing room or parking lot and accomplish it without having to deal with Brock Lesnar or Curtis Axel? After all, if the aim is to get an easy beat-up of a person who's been tormenting you, why does it have to be in full view of the fans?

Okay, well, it's show business. Now, though, we're going to see Heyman in the ring at a PPV, doing his level best to not climb through the ropes, right? Of course, Curtis Axel's devotion to his manager will be tested by how well he's willing to protect his beloved manager, even though he's unable to handle Punk one-on-one.

Personally, I have no desire to see Paul Heyman knocked around; there's really no satisfaction in that. Nor, does the prospect of Punk fighting Curtis Axel hold any particular interest, at least not at a pay-per-view level.

This match is a means to an end; the taking down of Axel, Heyman or Punk.......and since I doubt the latter two are going anywhere, I'd think it's Curtis Axel who might wind up eliminated from the equation......if not at this particular PPV, then somewhere down the line.

Could it be that Curtis Axel will be "Jack Swagger'd" or "Wade Barrett'd?" which is what befalls a guy who received a big build-up but failed to live up to it, calling for their removal from favored status?

If so, this match might go a long way toward getting Curtis Axel there.

This has been a great angle. I'm really proud of Punk showing us that he can be awesome and involved in a great storyline, without having to be in the main event or cry about not being in the main event.

The interesting thing here is whether it's the end of the Punk/Heyman feud or at least a rest period for it, or whether it's the start of the next chapter.

I think the stip means it's almost certain that Axel loses the first fall and it leaves Heyman alone with Punk. Will Punk destroy him and get his revenge? or will someone new step to Heyman's defense and give Punk as new obstacle?

Is there any chance Heyman walks out as champ? That could make the belt interesting again....

If this match is for the IC title and an elimination match I'm not sure how they play it. If Punk eliminates Axel which he probably will then it becomes one-on-one. Either, Punk wins the IC belt or Heyman defeats Punk. I suppose they could introduce another "Heyman guy" into the equation.

This won't be the end of the storyline and I don't see Punk walking out as champ. I also cannot see Punk getting his revenge on Heyman so all the unpredictability is exciting. Hopefully they deliver a shock that sees Heyman protected. He obviously becomes scared and calls in recruits to help him.

If Brock isn't wrestling again until Mania then I am sure Punk will eliminate Axel and get his revenge on Heyman. I am not really that excited for this match, and hope Punk moves onto something else right after this. It has been a great feud, but it has ran it course. I think they could have done this match on Raw as opposed to ppv, but we will all get to see Heyman beat up and that will be it.

Is there any chance Heyman walks out as champ? That could make the belt interesting again....

If this match is for the IC title and an elimination match I'm not sure how they play it. If Punk eliminates Axel which he probably will then it becomes one-on-one. Either, Punk wins the IC belt or Heyman defeats Punk. I suppose they could introduce another "Heyman guy" into the equation.

This won't be the end of the storyline and I don't see Punk walking out as champ. I also cannot see Punk getting his revenge on Heyman so all the unpredictability is exciting. Hopefully they deliver a shock that sees Heyman protected. He obviously becomes scared and calls in recruits to help him.

This is what I'm thinking as well, I mean Heyman is supposed to be a really smart guy and he knows Punk can beat Axel, so I can't see him going into this match without a contingency plan. This is the perfect opportunity to add another Heyman Guy to the mix.

Consider me underwhelmed for this.

Sorry, but this match sounds like something we could see on Raw or Smackdown, not pay per view worthy by a long shot. Although, I'm sure this is where we'll FINALLY see Punk get his hands on Heyman and teach him a lesson, especially after the kendo stick massacre the other night. WWE has been building towards the moment where Punk gives Heyman the beating of a lifetime for his betrayal for a while now, and you have to believe it's going to happen on pay per view, because I can't imagine WWE possibly dragging this out any longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Punk made quick work of Axel, got to Heyman, and beat the living the shit out of him. Maybe a couple of GTSs after a beatdown, then Punk forces Heyman to tap out to the Anaconda Vice to top off the humiliation, because Punk has to thrash and embarrass Heyman to no end.

Punk will be fine after this match, and Heyman will be fine, because he's easily the best manager in WWE right now, and he'll re-team with Lesnar soon enough. Axel? I dunno. Let's face it, the only reason why anyone really gives a shit about Axel in the first place is because he's attached to Heyman. I like the guy, but he's on another repackaging trip, and still can't get over. Without Heyman, I'm not so sure he'll last as IC Champion or in the WWE at all for that matter.

Axel doesn't need to defend the title, he's a champion and he's on the card. That's the way I see it. Anyway, the Axel experiment has failed so I wouldn't be surprised to see Punk cost him the title on Raw (To Kofi Kingston likely...sigh!) to help promote the match.

Axel get's eliminated early then Punk takes his sweet time with Heyman. Simple.

You've goyt to wonder where Heyman goes from here. Does he really just tread water with Curtis in nothing mid-card angles until Lesnar comes back? I can't see that.

i cant see title being on line because if Punk wins the title it really doesnt have meaning cuz hes in a storyline with those 2, where the title isnt even a concern and if u put it on him what does it accomplish? hed have to lose it right away the next night back to Axel or someone else after being screwed by Axel/Heyman because if not it just becomes a prop.

As of today I am totally convinced that Punk WILL NOT win. And because of this I fully expect that the Intercontinental Title SHOULD be on the line. A 2 on 1 title match could make for some entertaining stuff regardless of the fact that Heyman is not a WWE wrestler. We know the formula that will go down Punk will have a good back and forth with Axel but ultimately render him down, Heyman will be forced to enter, Punk gets maybe two minutes of beating down Heyman and then Axel will hit Punk from behind causing Punk to lose. However I truly believe that Heyman WILL PIN Punk. I think that's how they should book it because this feud has potential and this feud can continue. Having Heyman pin Punk would only increase the animosity and would enhance the feud because then Heyman can say he beat the best and didn't need someone like Lesnar fighting his battles. I see this feud working incredibly well and it gives Punk something to do long term whilst not being involved with the Corporation's shenanigans.

I see this match as the perfect opportunity for Heyman to add to his stable. I have no idea whom he would add and if it would be a current WWE wrestler or an NXT guy. Either way the story would be the same. After Punk pins Axel at Night of Champion's and just before Punk can get his hands on Heyman, this new guy comes out and lays Punk out. This would allow Axel to move onto a IC title feud and give Punk a new challenge before getting his hands on Heyman. It would be Punk v new guy at Hell in a Cell with a stipulation that if Punk wins he gets 5 minutes alone with Heyman. Just as Punk is about to win Axel comes out and attacks Punk and along with the new guy they lay him out again. This would set up the payoff to the feud at Survivor Series in a twist to the classic Survivor Series match we would get a 1 on 3 with Punk v Heyman, Axel and new guy. Here Punk eliminates the two to be alone with Heyman where he finally gets his revenge before picking up the win and ending the feud on his way back to the WWE Title.

Hopefully this is the end of the Punk/Heyman feud. Realistically, I don't see how they could extend it out any further. The crowd doesn't seem to care about Axel at home and it has really brought the quality of the feud down. Plus, who isn't ready to see Punk beat the shit out of Heyman

Just as AJ Lee has to win the match against the Total Divas cast, this is one CM Punk has to win.

Sometimes, WWE wastes too much time in paying off a storyline. I think of the Michael Cole/Jerry Lawler match at Wrestlemania 27, for example. Lawler won clean, but because of referee "malfescience", Cole got the win. It wasn't until two PPV's later, at Over The Limit, that WWE paid it off with Lawler squashing Cole.

In the same vein, extending the Heyman/Punk feud past Sunday would be extending this feud past its fresh date.

Up until the point Curtis Axel has entered the picture, Heyman has gotten the better of Punk at every turn. He cost Punk the MITB ladder match, Brock Lesnar beat him at Summerslam, and Heyman has outshined Punk in their promo exchanges. Further, he's gotten the better of Punk as well, smashing him time and time again with the kendo stick three weeks ago on Raw. But only for so long should a non-wrestler be able to stand tall over a wrestler at the top of his game, or risk losing the fans interest in a satisfying payoff.

There are ways around it, of course, which is where Curtis Axel has entered. But he's offered little-to-no resistance to CM Punk, even in a brawl the night after Summerslam when Punk was selling that he could barely walk. We've already seen this match between the two, with Punk beating Axel in under 5 minutes, which set-up the beating that Punk wound up taking. Axel since has been booked to lose, and quickly, to wrestlers inferior to Punk. How exactly is it believable at this point that he and Heyman are going to win this match, or even hang with Punk?

Finally, when a face makes a promise, it's a meaningful investment between they and the audience. Punk went the route of promising to win this match and hurt Heyman once Axel was eliminated. Unless it's part of an overarching storyline, it's important that when a top babyface makes a promise, said babyface follows through. Heyman's been able to weasel his way out of enough beatdowns and confrontations from/with Punk, it's time to bring what's been an excellent storyline to a close.

I expect the pop of the night to come when Punk finally gets his hands on Heyman. It's been a'coming, and Heyman is out of (credible) guys left to save him. Punk wins this.

Punk is the favourite to win, but I get the feeling that Paul may just be leading the fans on by worrying so much about the match and coming out and admitting that he & Axel will get their asses kicked by Punk, making us all believe that him & Axel will easily lose this one, only for him to pull out something from under his sleeve and win the match. Maybe a new Heyman guy as some people have said in this thread.

Most of the time I'm wrong about this stuff though and I hope I am again, as I'd like to see this feud come to an end this Sunday and Punk move on and help Bryan fight The Corporation. I can see a tag team main event between Bryan & Punk and HHH & Orton on one of the future PPV's.

20130826_LIGHT_NOC_Punk_Axel_Heyman_C.jpg

Alright, it HAS to be said. Before I get to the match itself I have a rant. This BETTER be for the Intercontinental Championship. This is WWE Night of Champions. The event where every title is on the line. Each year they advertise it as the only annual event where that stipulation is in place. I can understand putting a non-title match or two on there since they retired a few of the belts that used to be around when this PPV brand was first created.... but for goodness sakes don't leave the Intercontinental Championship out of the mix. If this isn't a title match, then put Axel in a random title match. Rant over.

Ok, with that out of the way.... This is going to be great. Punk has been after Heyman for a while now and this will be his opportunity for revenge. It's very safe to say that Punk will defeat Axel, the fans want to see him get revenge on Heyman. Whether it becomes a title match or not, Axel and the Intercontinental Championship are overshadowed by the Punk VS Heyman feud here. I see it going along the lines of Curtis Axel facing Punk first with Heyman hiding. Then Punk defeats him and Heyman is forced into the ring. Punk then wins again. There's no reason for Cutis to win. The fans are willing to pay money to see Punk go after Heyman. So, Punk defeats Axel and then gets the Heyman match immediately afterwards. Unless Axel interferes or Lesnar returns to assist Heyman and restart the Summerslam feud with Punk, I can see Punk winning both matches. Lesnar returning could set up an epic Hell In a Cell match. It's not likely though. This will be about Punk getting revenge and I see it going on next to last with only the WWE Championship match remaining afterwards. This won't be the end of the Punk VS Heyman feud.... I can see them stretching out just a little bit longer.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
CM Punk will defeat Curtis Axel.
Cm Punk will also defeat Paul Heyman.

If I thought this feud would end at NOC I'd go with Punk but I think it won't end just yet and while I think Punk will take out Axel Heyman will probably end up pinning Punk this Sunday.

I go into more detail in the prediction game vid I just put up
[youtube]KoPPJWyFIrc[/youtube]

For once I'm not very excited in a Punk match...It's pretty obvious that the match is going to be back & forth between Punk and Axel until Punk eliminates Axel. Then the real fun will come, Punk is going to kick Heyman's ass? I'm not sure, I don't think that is going to happen yet. Seeing the beating Punk took with the kendo stick makes me think that when he finally gets his hand on Heyman, he is going to beat the shit out of Heyman with a kendo stick and since this is match has DQ, it's not going to happen.

I'm not sure how or by who, but Heyman somehow is going to escape this one.

This won't and shouldn't be the end of the story meaning Punk doesn't win by pinfall or submission. That being said I highly doubt that they would give Axel a victory over Punk leaving interference as a likely option. The Shield, Barrett, McIntyre are the first names that come to mind or indeed someone from NXT. The idea of Heyman calling in reinforcements has been strengthened by him seeing Axel lose in recent weeks.

I say that Punk wins by DQ after a new wrestler is introduced. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Maddox or HHH make this No DQ (meaning Heyman is frightened of a Punk with weapons) and then wrestler x interferes allowing Heyman to win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back