8/26/13 Raw: Axel VS. Punk

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
After Axel's match with Cody Rhodes on SD! last night, Axel challenged CM Punk to a match this coming Monday's episode of Raw. After coming back from a commercial break, Michael Cole stated that Punk had "tweeted" a reply and accepted the challenge. As a result, Axel vs. Punk will go down this coming Monday on Raw.

Ultimately, I see this match being used as some sort of way to set up an eventual title match between them at Night of Champions. As for the ending, I think the most likely scenarios involve some sort of DQ ending in Punk's favor or Axel scoring a win due to some sort of distraction from Heyman Advertised for the local crowd when Raw goes off the air Monday night is a handicap match with Axel & Heyman taking on Punk. I'm thinking that they MIGHT use this idea for the IC title match at NOC with Heyman being used as a means of protecting both wrestlers, no matter who loses. After all, if Punk beats Heyman then Axel doesn't look bad. If Axel scores a win over Punk via something Heyman does, then Punk is covered.

F4WOnline rumored that this Monday's match itself may be for IC title. I can't see them doing the switch on Monday, and if they do put the title on the line, then a schmoz finish of some sort is almost certainly going to go down. No matter how Monday's face-off winds up, I agree that it sets up an Intercontinental Championship bout at the Night of Champions pay-per-view. If that ends up being the scenario, then I hope that that match gets bolstered with the old school stipulation that if Punk wins he gets five minutes alone with Heyman.

It was posted on the main board that Punk and Axel are tentatively scheduled to face off for the IC Title at Night of Champions - and lots of people seem to complaining about that possibility. I'm not sure why, though. Not only is this exactly the kind of life blood that the mid-card belts need to become relevant again, but not having the Punk/Axel program include IC Title matches would just further devalue this title.

It seems like every time there's a relevant mid-card champion over the past few years - Ziggler and Rhodes come to mind - most in the IWC claim that those are the guys that will restore the belts to their former level of prestige. I've always scoffed at these claims because I've never felt it was the champion that made the belt prestigious. Instead, it's the challengers gunning for the belt that make the belt mean something.

I remember a few years ago when Cody Rhodes was the IC Champion, and he was in the midst of a fantastic series of matches with Randy Orton. None of those matches were for the Intercontinental Championship, and it gave off the vibe that Orton didn't care to win the belt ... he was too good for that belt, and so he didn't have any interest in obtaining it. How does that add to a championship's prestige when wrestlers give off the impression that they aren't interested in even challenging for it?

So people can complain that Punk is above an IC Title feud - or that he's too good to carry that strap - but if people want the IC or the US titles to ever mean something again, then guys like CM Punk need to give off the impression that they want the belts. Otherwise, they will remain worthless pieces of medal with leather straps.

listen Y2J had the IC strap in what 08? obviously theyre at a lil bit different points in careers but still Punk is a bonafide star for which wins or losses dont really mean anything for anymore.

Him carrying the IC title and doing the prestige promos and respect promos again but this time as a face. and like justinept said the challengers are what make the belt.

The only way Punk should win the title (At Raw or NOC) is if he breaks the Honky Tonk Mans record.

Punk would do some great promos about prestige and respect for the IC title.

I can absolutely see Punk winning the title on Raw this coming Monday. Punk wins because he's the 'Best In The World' and it would be a straight/clean win, either by pinfall or w/ the Anaconda Vice. Then Punk could offer to defend his newly won gold at Night of Champions, but only if Axel gives him Heyman first. So we could possibly get an Axel face turn out of this because Axel would want the gold and to continue his father's legacy more than to be another Paul Heyman guy. So Heyman betrays Punk, Axel betrays Heyman.

This is being used as a way of hyping a match between the two at NoC. Even if this ends in a DQ, the most important thing is to keep the aggressive nature that has been in Punk for the last month or so. Many people won't care about an Axel/Punk feud but if Punk attacks him with a chair and shares a promo with Heyman then it will suffice.

I'm intrigued to see if they put the IC belt on Punk. It would allow Axel to move into the main-event and Punk could hold the belt for a few months before he starts something more interesting in the build up to Mania. It wouldn't hurt the IC belt, Axel or Punk if he has no other feud of note.

I think this will end with Punk winning by DQ as I think the IC title match at NOC will need a stip to spice it up as Axel is batting well out of his league against Punk.

Hopefully Punk sees this match-up as Axel stepping up as opposed to him stepping down, I want to give Axel a chance as I was a big fan of his Dad's, but so far other than being decent in the ring I wouldn't find him interesating at all if Heyman wasn't his manager, hopefully this feud can change that.

One thing I'm hoping for is Punk cutting a passionate promo about what the IC title meant to him as a kid given that most of the wrestlers he was a fan of were guys that built the legacy of that title.

What's unusual about this match-up is that the "grudge" isn't between the two fighters. Essentially, they have no problem with each other, and if anything, this match will set up some personal animosities they can build on.

The central figure in the contest is the manager. Axel is fighting for Paul Heyman while Punk cares more about damaging Heyman than Axel. Yes, Axel is the symbol of Heyman since Punk isn't scheduled to fight Paul himself, but defeating Axel would prove conclusively that Punk is better off without Heyman than with him......which is exactly what Heyman doesn't want to have happen.

So, I figure Punk loses tonight.....by foul means, of course. They'll fight on even terms for awhile before Heyman pulls some stunt to ensure that his man wins by DQ or count-out, angering Punk and building toward the next PPV.

Since that big event is called "Night of Champions," I figure there will be no title match tonight, but the belt will surely be on the line at the PPV. Folks on this forum have speculated about Punk holding the IC title, and we may yet get to see it.

Curtis Axel is no great shakes and I don't see him beating a main event guy like Punk, at least without some shenanigans. But if Axel and Heyman can get Punk pissed off, they might build enough steam to make the PPV a must-see.

I see this match as a way to lure CM Punk into a trap set by Heyman.

Paul Heyman sent Curtis Axel to finish off what Brock Lesnar started. Punk was physically battered and emotionally enraged over what happened against Brock, yet even with all that, Curtis Axel could not get the job done. Even with Punk in his most weakened stated, Heyman realized Axel was not enough to destroy Punk.

Mustang Sally pointed this out earlier. CM Punk has no grudge against Curtis Axel. He's just a Heyman pawn. He represents Heyman, so Curtis is his enemy. So, what does the Intercontinental Championship actually mean to CM Punk? Nothing.

So, I'm sticking with my prediction. I think we will see 1 or maybe even 2 more Paul Heyman guys debut tonight to continue to wage Heyman's war against CM Punk.

As expected, Heyman found a way to weasel his way out of a straight up fight/"match" with CM Punk with Axel's help. The following beating with Heyman using the kendo stick to whip Punk senseless was executed to perfection by both men. Heyman looked genuinely sadistic and somewhat insane, as he thrashed Punk, and shouted out "I loved you!" and "I fathered you." Punk being proud, brave, and tough, refused help, and walked out on his on two feet with his back and chest covered in welts and running blood. Great stuff.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. It's a long shot to think Lesnar will step in again, because you have to believe WWE is saving him for the Wrestlemania buildup. But I expect Punk to come back and issue some kind of challenge to face Axel again at NOC, Axel and Heyman accept, and Punk will finally get some payback at the pay per view.

Punk being proud, brave, and tough, refused help, and walked out on his on two feet with his back and chest covered in welts and running blood. Great stuff.

Yes, proud, brave, tough....and with great reasons to want revenge. I was wrong about Axel needing to win the match to give Punk an incentive to want him at the PPV. True, with the characters being who they are, it would be insane to expect Axel to win by fair means, but we knew there was plenty he and Heyman could do to get the win by foul measures. In fact, when Punk cleanly won, I figured the two guys wouldn't be meeting at the PPV at all, since an already defeated Axel would hardly inspire people to buy the PPV to see a rematch, right?

Instead, Punk beats Axel in logical fashion, but the blood spots on his back and everything else that happened after the match spell some sort of gimmick match at Night of Champions.

Unless WWE is planning a program between the two that lasts a few months, Punk wins cleanly. If he does, it will be interesting to see if Heyman has any further use for Curtis Axel.

I'm not usually a fan of the mid-card champions jobbing clean in non title matches but this is not like say Cesaro and Barrett earlier this year. Those guys were simply coming out, jobbing and leaving.

In this case Axel might have lost but along with Heyman he got the last laugh and he's part of an actual storyline. The defining image from the segment is a battered CM Punk slumped in front of Heyman and Axel, I'm sure there are mid-card guys lining up backstage that would kill to be in Axel's current spot, he drew the winning ticket when he got paired with Heyman.

Axel is so lucky he is with Heyman and in a feud with Punk right now because his incredible lack of charisma and promo ability is subdued while he's surrounded by greatness.

Axel did manage to get a "boring" chant in the middle of the segment with him, Punk and Heyman but he doesn't get it very long because once Punk or Heyman get more involved the crowd enjoys watching again.

There's no one I look forward to seeing leave WWE more than Curtis Axel. He can go join the oompa-loompas as the King of the Orange Skinned people ... although he won't last long because he'll bore the civilians to death when he speaks.

Only reason to see this match is to see what happens with Punk and Heyman.

This might be the night Punk really gets his hands on Heyman but only if Punk takes out Axel in a big way like another GTS on the steel steps.

I think it could be a good thing, CM Punk might be able to bring Curtis out of his shell and put him on the map. Kinda like what Hart did for Austin

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back