• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Legends Title

Anti-IWC-Marks

Occasional Pre-Show
With all of the talk over the years of Hogan, Austin, Flair, Michaels.. and now recently Undertaker and Sting.. will they come back?

Most people like seeing legends come back occassionally. However, the pressing question is always:

How do you make an old washed up wrestler be considered a legitimate contender amidst the young bucks?

The answer? You don't. So what do you do?

You make the WWE Legends Title, and you have occassional matches on random PPV's.

But wait, why would I want to see a bunch of has-beens trading just another belt?

This wouldn't be allowed with the Legends Title thats in my mind. The parameters are this.

• Once you retire, you are given one title shot for the WWE Legends title. One shot only.
  • You cash in whenever you'd like up to a point. This isn't Money in the Bank, there are no spur-of-the-moment Cash-ins. That way, the legends in question can be put in the spotlight, reflected upon, rivalry built up, and finally the match takes place.
  • If you lose, you're done for good. No more title shots.
  • If you win, you get your one Title reign until you lose, and then, you're done as well.

This way, you're doing a few things:

1. You're acknowledging that these guys are past their prime, so there's no need to have all this worry of if they'll be able to keep up with the other wrestlers on the card.
2. You're always keeping wrestling history relavant, and exposing old characters to the younger generation.

If the belt were to begin at.. Summerslam? I'd imagine you'd have quite a few guys who would be in the running, and you'd probably want to fit the older ones in first.

These guys sadly won't be an option:
Hogan? He can talk, but I don't think he can walk.. literally.
Austin? He's never wrestling again.
Edge? Neck and back surgeries will never allow him to wrestle again.

But look at these guys:
Kevin Nash
Roddy Piper
Bret Hart
Ric Flair

Just to name a few.

So no, it's not just another title. You won't see any multiple time champions. But you will see one more match by a legend, and an understanding that they are past their prime.

Any takers?

No, this is stupid. WWE can't even make the US Championship matter, so how in the world do you expect this title to do well? It gives us another match for Night of Champions that wouldn't be pointless non-title filler. That's it. Everyone competing for it would be past their prime and thus none of them would even need it. This idea sounds far better on paper than it actually would be. Then you have all the complaints there would be about retired wrestlers taking up PPV card spots that could have gone to the guys who actually need to be established, to compete for a belt that ultimately will be less prestigious than any other title. Not a fan of this idea, sorry. It's something interesting to think about at least.

I proposed an idea with a WWE legends title several years back. But my idea was a bit different. For starters only men over the age of 50 will qualify. It would be defended once a month on Raw. This will allow it to play off of the old 30 day rule while keeping it from becoming overbearing.

Next is the part that really makes it stand out. Unlike all of the other champions, a legend has to be ready to face anybody at any time at a moments notice. So the Legends champion never knows who he's going to face. Nor do the people. The champion always comes down first, then we watch the titantron as multiple images shuffle over the screen. Finally it settles on one and that wrestlers music begins to play as the challenger makes his way down to the ring. Much like the Royal Rumble There is that added fun of suspense wondering who's coming out. This will make it more than just two old guys wrestling.

The matches themselves will be short maybe only 5 to 7 minutes of mostly stalling and playing to the crowd while still getting some of the crowds favorite moves in. This will keep the matches from looking horrible and just help the fans remember the fun times of the wrestlers. Of course some guys will be able to put on better matches than others. So much the better. The winner will of course come back next month to defend the title. The centerpiece of the belt should be the WWE Legends title logo. It's a good looking logo, and like the WWE Championship belt, focuses mainly on the WWE logo which in this case is the block letter version.

During the other three weeks I thought of other segments they cab use involving the legends. First is the Mean Gene Okerlund interview. Whenever a new champion is crowned Mean Gene interview him on his next segment. During other weeks Gene will interview different legends mostly those that can no longer get into the ring but whom fans still love and enjoy such as the Iron Sheik, Superstar Billy Graham Kamala the Ugandan Giant ( I can just see Kamala's handler saying that his man is such a savage that he ate his own foot lol). Of course they can even change it up from time to time by having Piper's Pit for The Snake Pit or Mulligan's Barbecue.

The next week will be the look back at wrestling history. I think Jim Ross would be perfect for this. We will see footage of a special moment or even a random moment in wrestling history of which Jim Ross would talk about. This is a chance to include stars who have passed on and it's also a chance to see all the stars in their prime while also introducing old school wrestling to younger fans.

There was something that I had thought of for the fourth week but I can't remember at the moment. In any case while this can work great for nostalgia, this is not simply an attempt to get old guys back in the ring. The true purpose is to make these stars relevant again so that fans would want to see them in their prime and order the WWE Network (or back when I originally thought of it to sell more DVDs Featuring old footage).

This is how I would present it:

Start off by showing old footage of wrestling while breaking in with the following quotes:
"After years of beatings... after taking clothesline after clothesline... body slam after body slam... and enduring unimaginable pain all while competing at the highest level against the greatest athletes in the world in the toughest sport of all... the body begins to break down. For every great athlete the day eventually comes when they can no longer compete at top performance. But the competitive fire can NEVER be extinguished. So WWE has now given these legends one more mountain to climb... one more hurdle... one more championship to compete for. WWE presents... the Legends Championship!"

I kinda would like the current active titles to be more relevant before adding another. While I like the idea of seeing guys from yesteryear compete, I don't see the need for a senior citizens championship.

I don't mind an older legend coming back to have a transitional run as a mid card title holder. Kinda like NAO getting that last run before dropping the belts to The Usos.

Sting, Undertaker, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan - no I don't care to see them in a WWE ring. Especially the latter two. I cannot see a marquee star like Undertaker or SCSA competing on a Raw.

A WWE Legends Championship would be about as useful as a WWE Divas Tag Team Championship, which is not at all. It'd be a title that exists strictly for the purpose of giving someone a championship belt to carry around. A specialty championship that can only be contended for by wrestlers who, for the most part, are of an advanced age and/or are no longer physically fit enough to wrestle? Sorry, but it's kinda laughable when you think about it.

A WWE Legends Championship would be about as useful as a WWE Divas Tag Team Championship, which is not at all. It'd be a title that exists strictly for the purpose of giving someone a championship belt to carry around. A specialty championship that can only be contended for by wrestlers who, for the most part, are of an advanced age and/or are no longer physically fit enough to wrestle? Sorry, but it's kinda laughable when you think about it.

That's why I think my version is better. It's not just another title. Its not even a real division. It's a once a month bit of nostalgia designed to make the old libraries relevant again by bring the old guys for a short match of mostly playing to the crowd. In other words, FUN.

The "title" is just a kayfabe reason for having the old guys wrestle but, the real reason is to sell the network by making you remember the good old days when these guys were at their peak. It's business through entertainment which is exactly the kind of thing WWE likes.

no, the only title that should be added back (if any) should be splitting up the world and wwe title again, that way we dont have to worry about a guy like Brock holding the title and being a part timer as well, but since that will NOT happen, i think they should just build up the US title. have Sheamus in a great feud over the title and then have him eventually lose it. i personally want to see Bo Dallas as US Champion now.

I proposed an idea with a WWE legends title several years back. But my idea was a bit different. For starters only men over the age of 50 will qualify. It would be defended once a month on Raw. This will allow it to play off of the old 30 day rule while keeping it from becoming overbearing.

Next is the part that really makes it stand out. Unlike all of the other champions, a legend has to be ready to face anybody at any time at a moments notice. So the Legends champion never knows who he's going to face. Nor do the people. The champion always comes down first, then we watch the titantron as multiple images shuffle over the screen. Finally it settles on one and that wrestlers music begins to play as the challenger makes his way down to the ring. Much like the Royal Rumble There is that added fun of suspense wondering who's coming out. This will make it more than just two old guys wrestling.

The matches themselves will be short maybe only 5 to 7 minutes of mostly stalling and playing to the crowd while still getting some of the crowds favorite moves in. This will keep the matches from looking horrible and just help the fans remember the fun times of the wrestlers. Of course some guys will be able to put on better matches than others. So much the better. The winner will of course come back next month to defend the title. The centerpiece of the belt should be the WWE Legends title logo. It's a good looking logo, and like the WWE Championship belt, focuses mainly on the WWE logo which in this case is the block letter version.

During the other three weeks I thought of other segments they cab use involving the legends. First is the Mean Gene Okerlund interview. Whenever a new champion is crowned Mean Gene interview him on his next segment. During other weeks Gene will interview different legends mostly those that can no longer get into the ring but whom fans still love and enjoy such as the Iron Sheik, Superstar Billy Graham Kamala the Ugandan Giant ( I can just see Kamala's handler saying that his man is such a savage that he ate his own foot lol). Of course they can even change it up from time to time by having Piper's Pit for The Snake Pit or Mulligan's Barbecue.

The next week will be the look back at wrestling history. I think Jim Ross would be perfect for this. We will see footage of a special moment or even a random moment in wrestling history of which Jim Ross would talk about. This is a chance to include stars who have passed on and it's also a chance to see all the stars in their prime while also introducing old school wrestling to younger fans.

There was something that I had thought of for the fourth week but I can't remember at the moment. In any case while this can work great for nostalgia, this is not simply an attempt to get old guys back in the ring. The true purpose is to make these stars relevant again so that fans would want to see them in their prime and order the WWE Network (or back when I originally thought of it to sell more DVDs Featuring old footage).

This is how I would present it:

Start off by showing old footage of wrestling while breaking in with the following quotes:
"After years of beatings... after taking clothesline after clothesline... body slam after body slam... and enduring unimaginable pain all while competing at the highest level against the greatest athletes in the world in the toughest sport of all... the body begins to break down. For every great athlete the day eventually comes when they can no longer compete at top performance. But the competitive fire can NEVER be extinguished. So WWE has now given these legends one more mountain to climb... one more hurdle... one more championship to compete for. WWE presents... the Legends Championship!"

I actually like your version better.

Mine was more spit-firing. Yours seems well thought out.

i like the idea of not doing PPV's, but TV shows. The PPV's should have the best talent.

I wouldn't even be against boosting Smackdown and having the match there. Smackdown is always hurting, as the set up is so predictable. It clearly always showcases the 1A talent, or has the A talent in B matches.

I think you're missing the point a bit.

The legends would be showcased so much, it wouldn't be about any "prestigious" title. The title would be an afterthought. You're under the premise that a title must be completely legitimate, respected, and honored. This would be admittedly not the case.

However, fighting over a title is the most basic and logical way to set up showdowns in wrestling, so the belt would serve a very basic purpose.

does anyone want to see these guys wrestle? The only Legend who has had anything more than nostalgia value since Flair finally packed it in was Ricky Steamboat, who rolled back the years with some absolute magic at Mania 25. But mostly, it's just not worth it.

The young should fight the young, and the old should cut the odd promo on special occasions and otherwise stay the heck off TV.

does anyone want to see these guys wrestle? The only Legend who has had anything more than nostalgia value since Flair finally packed it in was Ricky Steamboat, who rolled back the years with some absolute magic at Mania 25. But mostly, it's just not worth it.

The young should fight the young, and the old should cut the odd promo on special occasions and otherwise stay the heck off TV.

Most people like seeing The Undertaker or HHH fight once or twice a year.. do they not?

In the same sense, I wouldn't mind seeing Roddy Piper fight one more time in the next five years. Or Bret Hart fight one more time in the next five years, or the biggest asshole in the business: Shawn Michaels.. the list can go on.

I think many people love wrestling history, and i think many young people enjoy something new occassionally, as any mention of most who would fight would be their first exposure.

People want to see wrestlers who can actually still wrestle. Taker put on great matches up until Mania 30. Now I think a lot of people will be happy if he doesn't come back, particularly with the Streak gone. Lesnar had to put so much care and restraint into getting him through that match, and it still wasn't very good. HHH, on the other hand, is still a fantastic worker and is rightly integral to a lot of storylines.

But come on - Roddy Piper? He could just about still move at Mania 25, but that was a long time ago now. Bret Hart can't take a bump because of his health issues, so any physical stuff involving him is incredibly limited. Shawn Michaels, I am fairly confident, will never wrestle again, and he has his own personal reasons for that. Who is there, really, who's a viable candidate to create good TV? Sure, there's Sting, but I strongly feel he should have just 1 match with the company. Make it special.

The place to watch wrestling history should be and is the WWE Network - only $9.99!

People want to see wrestlers who can actually still wrestle.
Not necessarily. When it comes to seeing old favorites, fans want to see the gimmicks. They want to hear the music, they want to see the outfits, they want to see the act, they want to see the finisher and they want to do the chants. It's not about seeing a great wrestling match, it's about nostalgia and it's about fun

[/quote]The place to watch wrestling history should be and is the WWE Network - only $9.99![/QUOTE]
And that's exactly why the Legends title would be such a good idea. To give the fans a taste of nostalgia, remind them how much fun wrestling used to be and encourage them to buy the network.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back