WWE Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels VS Bret Hart.

Pbenglish

Dark Match Winner
First off, this is my first time creating a thread, so if I've made any mistakes (putting this into the wrong forum, this topic already existing, for example), mods please know it was entirely accidental, and feel free to move/delete it if necessary.

Now to the point of my thread. I recently bought WWE's Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels VS Bret Hart DVD, and I was blown away by just how good the DVD is.
The main part of the set is the documentary, which runs from both men's beginnings in wrestling, through their rivalry, up to their reconciliation this past year. Obviously it spends some time focusing on the Montreal incident. In short, it's AMAZING. While there are times where it seems that both Michaels and Hart aren't being 100% honest with each other, or themselves, it certainly is the most honest look at what happened in Montreal, and how that event impacted (and continues to impact) both men.
The last two disks contain HOURS of footage covering both men and their careers and feud, and also contains their full Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, which was a nice bonus for an already jam packed set.

So my question to anyone reading this, is this:
*Have you purchased and watched the DVD? If not, are you planning on doing so?
* If so, what parts did you like, and what (if any) parts did you dislike?
* Based on how WWE handled this release, are you more (or less) willing to purchase any forthcoming WWE's Greatest Rivalries releases?

Thanks all,

P.B

I bought this the moment it hit the shelves and I, too, was impressed. It has the most candid feel of any WWE release of the 82 or so wrestling/WWE DVD's I own. To answer your questions:

1.) Bought it as soon as I could. Michaels is my second favorite wrestler of all time (Hart is top 10 all time for me as well), so I jumped at the chance to watch it. Plus, having been engulfed in the Monday Night Wars and enjoying that period immensely, it's always nice to reminisce about times gone by.

2.) What I did not enjoy was something you appeared to touch on. Despite their reconciliation, there seemed to be times that they would've liked to have "taken the gloves off" so to speak. It certainly broke new ground as far as breaking kayfabe goes (for WWE), but you could see they were still holding back a bit. Also, despite his overwhelming charisma and phenomenal mic skills, HBK and his constant filler phrase "ya know" got irritating. He repeated it before and after every sentence. I've noticed that's the case with most of the great talkers: Flair, Michaels, Hogan, Piper - when they're not in the ring and are simply asked a question, they tend to use "filler." Luckily, that hasn't translated to their promos.

3.) I tend to buy most DVD's put out, with a few notable exceptions (anything Hardy I could care less about, same with The Undertaker). I am eagerly anticipating The Rock vs. Stone Cold and if Flair ever returned home to WWE, Flair vs. Rhodes or Steamboat.

1.) I also bought this the DVD the day that it came out and I also enjoyed it immensely.

2.) The interview was fantastic. They held back on a few parts, but I learned a lot of new facts. I didn't know about the top ring coming loose in the Hart Foundation/Rockers match. It was entertaining to hear about how they tried to deal with that situation. What disappointed me the most was the absence of the Montreal Screwjob match. I mean, c'mon, that was the Waterloo of the Bret/Shawn/Vince feud! It should have definitely been included.

3.) I usually buy the non-ppv DVDs and I'll continue to buy them. A Best of the King of the Ring is the next DVD I believe, and it's hosted by Booker T, so I'll definitely buy it. As far as the rivalry DVDs go, it depends on the rivalry. Bret/Shawn was a "real" rivalry, so that made it much more intense.

A great DVD all-around!

*Have you purchased and watched the DVD? If not, are you planning on doing so?

I purchased this DVD and watched it the first day it came out (but I do that with anything involving Bret Hart).

* If so, what parts did you like, and what (if any) parts did you dislike?

I thought the DVD was extremely well done and although it didn't give a whole lot of new insight into their rivalry, I felt it broke it down very well. I thought it did a great job of detailing their friendship at the beginning to where things started to fall apart for them with them not being as good as friends as they once were to the start of their rivalry to where it got so heated, the screwjob and finally their reconciliation. I personally didn't find anything I didn't like about the DVD and anything I did would be unnecessary nitpicking.

I think the best part was hearing both sides of each story at the same time and never at one point did it feel like it was getting into a debate. It seemed like both sides respected each other enough to let their side be heard and no one eclipsed the other person at any point in the DVD. The details given over the 2 hours was great and it also gave you a good feeling at the end that even with the rivalry these 2 had, it was nice to see them come full circle to once again becoming friends.

* Based on how WWE handled this release, are you more (or less) willing to purchase any forthcoming WWE's Greatest Rivalries releases?

I would definitely be willing to buy more Greatest Rivalries DVD if they came out in the future. The key for me is the rivalry itself and how personal that rivalry got much like Bret and Shawn's was. Like a Hogan and Piper one would be great because I think they had a great rivalry both on and off the camera, same with Bret vs. Vince.

I wouldn't want to see lets say a Shawn vs. Jericho or Austin vs. McMahon DVD, even though they had a great rivalry there was no issues personally between the 2. If they do others I would like it if they went behind the camera and talked about their issues off screen. Even if they didn't have a great rivalry on camera if they did in other areas I would be more than willing to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back