• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE embarassed???

osborne79

Occasional Pre-Show
I was watching smackdown and realised that todd grisham and matt striker kept referring to jack swagger by his colledge credentials. He is a former world champion and the wwe has stopped acknowledging it. They even still call CM PUNK a former world champion. So my question is do you think the wwe has realised they fucked up in pushing swagger too hard and are embarassed about it?

I was watching smackdown and realised that todd grisham and matt striker kept referring to jack swagger by his colledge credentials. He is a former world champion and the wwe has stopped acknowledging it. They even still call CM PUNK a former world champion. So my question is do you think the wwe has realised they fucked up in pushing swagger too hard and are embarassed about it?

Well, Swagger has accomplished so much already, going through his credentials entirely would take too much air time. I don't think they're embarrassed, but I think you're right in that they pushed him to the title too soon.

They should spend more time developing Swagger as a main event guy. I think he's got the "it," it's a matter of them building him up enough. He needs clean wins over top tier guys on a regular basis. Beating Jericho seemed like a fluke. And I didn't have enough interest in seeing the Big Slow wrestle so I didn't even follow that angle.

Fella yes i believe they know that they fucked up his push so they dont really refer to it but i think as soon as he starts getting more dominant then they will state that he is a former world champ

I think it's more of the fact that there are tons of "former world champions" in WWE, but there aren't that many people in the WWE who excelled at amateur wrestling. They push that so people know he's legitimately good at wrestling, and not just some guy who does punches and flips.

No I wouldn't say that. If the WWE just started refering to him as a former world champion and didn't talk about all of his other achievments then that is basically the end of his character, he has already lost alot of his character by not doing push up's anymore and so forth so if the commentators stop acknowledging these achievments then he basically just becomes annoying suit wearing heel #47.

enough with all this crap about heels needing clean wins over faces. (referring to the second poster.) heels have always won by cheating, and got heat for it. i even remember as a kid remember that once, the rock, scsa, hhh, etc went heel, that they wouldnt win legitly.

onto the subject of swagger. he is just fine. they arent forgetting it. hell, they mention every now and then that the great khali is a former world champ, which is more embarrassing. as other posters have said, their are enough former world champs where it doesnt mean as much. talking about how great he is as a wrestler puts him over more. what is angle going to be remembered for in the wwe? being a multitime champion or olympic gold medalist. saying olympic gold medalist means more than former champ in terms of setting him apart.

not to mention edge's first run sucked, so did rvd's, so did cm punk's. people who win money in the back keep the title for a little bit, and then loose it. it is testing grounds for them. edge went on to win 8 other titles. rvd is only out because of weed. cm punk got other title opportunities, and im sure will get more. give swagger time to have an angle where he gets the title again. after winning the title in the mitb way, he needs a new way to be main event again. and since the focus is on kane and taker, it is only natural that he takes a back seat. hell, i bet the miz's title reign will last less than 2 months. its just how mitb works.

I think it's more of making Jack Swagger into Jack Swagger. He's the cocky college athlete so they try to mention that as much as possible to form his character. It's impossible to list all of his achievements but I do with others that his push wasn't planned very well.

I admit this bugged me also but I started thinking about it and I've come up with another possibility.

We all know that it's pretty much a sure thing that the two main titles are going to be merged again some time in the near future. WWE has never made it a secret that the WWE title is by far the more prestigious of the two. In their ad for NOC, they show Sheamus and refer to it as the most important title in wrestling history. My idea is that they are simply not going to refer to people who have ONLY held the World Title and not the WWE Title as World Heavyweight Title holders to avoid confusion when the titles are merged.

This may not be the case at all. Before you bash me, please remember that I am just throwing this out there as a possibility and I could very well be wrong.

The WWE is not embarrassed at all, they have no reason to be. They pushed one of their greatest young competitors to the top so he can be seen as more of a threat in his rivalries. Swagger is one of the greatest assets in this whole WWE youth movement and I've been nothing but impressed.

Get our armchair booking arses out of here. This is in no way or shape admittance to guilt.

WWE are not embarrassed when they push his outside credentials. If you don't know Jack Swagger is a former World champion and need to be reminded of it every time he comes out, you need to write it down...woo woo woo you know it. They just reminding us of his amateur background because that is something that needs to get through since it can be easily forgotten.

There are plenty of former one-time world champs, one of them is Great Khali, and he is terrible. Swagger has a legit amateur championship background and they naturally play it up. Swagger will be champion again, it's almost certain. He's just too good in the ring not to. He needs more time though.

The poster above said it best when the Great Khali is a former world champion and they still acknowledge him as one so why would Swagger be any different. It's not like they have to call him the former world champion everytime he makes his entrance. It was probably early to give Swagger the championship but he'll be back to the main event sooner or later. I think he needs to work on his promo skills more and actually get rid of that serious persona all the time. I liked it better when he was pumped up when making his entrance and doing the chest beats and push-ups. I think Swagger's time will come so until then he just needs to improve. The WWE certainly isn't embarrassed by making him champion.

They talk about is amature background because it's a huge part of his character for one thing. Also I think they wantto get more amautur wrestling fans to watch and if they're flipping through the channles and swagger comes on and here him announced as a 2 time All American from UofO they would be morel ikely to watch instead of having him announced as a former World Champion.

Will they acknowledge him as a former World Champion yes they will when someone beats him they will let everyone know that they beat a former World Champion.

So to answer the question no they aren't embarassed.

I hadn`t even thought about it until the person who started this thread brought it up. I agree with most people`s responses. They`ve pretty much always played up his ameteur background and credentials. It`s a big part of his character. Did his title reign go perfectly? No but I don`t think they are embarased by it. He`s young and has time to get even better. I`m sure he`ll be champion again in the future.

Just thought I'd mention that they DID mention Swaggers title. After Kofi hit the trouble in paradise and pinned Swagger to win the match, Grisham made a comment about Kingston pinning "the former champion". I read this thread BEFORE I actually watched Smackdown (DVRs have to be one of the greatest inventions ever) or I would never have noticed it.

Swagger is one of the better wrestlers to come from ECW. And is probably one of (if not the best) "wrestlers" in WWE. In my opinion though, he lacks that Star Power that is the difference between a Future Champion and a Former Champion. I'll be surprised if he wins a world title ever again.

Swagger is one of the better wrestlers to come from ECW. And is probably one of (if not the best) "wrestlers" in WWE. In my opinion though, he lacks that Star Power that is the difference between a Future Champion and a Former Champion. I'll be surprised if he wins a world title ever again.

Swagger's heat is one of the heaviest I've heard in a while... his arrogance oozes out like yolk from your sunny side ups and his in-ring ability is amazing... The more and more that this guy generates heat, the more that the WWE are going to want to push him... so to that, I say he's definitely on the rise to another World title reign before WM.

However, for the OP... I would like for it to be known that it's a rarity for them to even call the Big Show a former world champion... or even for them to call Goldust a former IC Champion... it's all about how they want to build up the storyline.

Right now, Swagger and MVP are trying to find the better wrestler. In that storyline, the world title won't mean anything... what will mean something is Swagger having Amateur wrestling background and a solid one at that to put him over MVP. And in the end, when MVP overcomes Swagger, it'll be a huge pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back