• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE dont do big guy's no more?

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
So I got thinking about all these people saying "Vince gets a hard-on over big guys" and I started to think to myself of big guys of the past compared to big guys of the present.

Now however Vince McMahon's penis reacts to big men is irrelevant in this case as I am going to say that the last big man that has had a lasting career in WWE is indeed Kane, who debuted in 1997. Since then we've had Khali who now hosts the Khali kiss-cam, Snitsky jobber then released, Umaga who became a jobber before he got hurt and a few other's who I cant be arsed to remember.

Now obviously we still have the likes of Vladamir Koslov and Mike Knox but if the pattern is to be believed then they'll soon be jokes as well. So I ask you, why cant WWE seem to produce another Andre? Or Undertaker? Or even Kane or Big Show? As it seems that the most dominant big men have been doing it for years while the new breed have lost and fucked off.

-EDIT- For the sake of keeping this thread alive please understand that when I say big men I am reffering to the Andre's and Khali's of the wrestling world -EDIT-

Good thread man, and ya know what, youre exactly right. We all know Vince supposedly loves big men (hehe, that sounds weird). But it seems that the new breed of them have yet to be effective, and idk why this seems to be the case. The last successful big man to actually win a big title is probably Khali, and he is now a joke, and will probably continue to be until he retires, which seems to be the case, as you mentioned (such as with Snitsky). I think its because, in this day and age of wrestling, where shows are on 3 times a week for the WWE, plus PPV's, the WWE cannot properly keep a "successful monster big man" around anymore. I mean, you have Andre The Giant, argualbly the best big man EVER.. the reason he really propsered and went undefeated was because of the era he was apart of.. back in a time when alot of ppl thot wresling was real- no one could beat Andre if wrestling was real! And, of course, the WWE ran on a much slower pace back then, allowing Andre's character to never have to really evolve (he could just remain a dominant big man, and the audience would just expect it to be that way).

So, to answer your question, I think its really because of the era wrestling is in right now, and how much more exposed it is and how much more mainstream it is, because wreslters such as Umaga, Kozlov, etc certainly do not lack talent- its all due to the fast-paced era.

I'll give you one word for this: Batista. I think when Vince says big guys he means muscular guys, not really big tall guys. If you look, a lot of the wrestlers that get bigger jobs on WWE are the more muscular ones. Think about it: Cena, HHH, Batista, all muscular, all on top of the company. The guys that Vince allegedly doesn't like are Jerichos, Malenkos, Benoits, Guerreros, people like that. Good wrestlers but average sized men.

I'll give you one word for this: Batista. I think when Vince says big guys he means muscular guys, not really big tall guys. If you look, a lot of the wrestlers that get bigger jobs on WWE are the more muscular ones. Think about it: Cena, HHH, Batista, all muscular, all on top of the company.

Now when I think of big guy's in the wrestling business guy's like Cena and Batista are not the ones that come to mind because when compared to the variety of wrestler's on offer they are averagely sized. You've got a cross between The Great Khali and The Brian Kendrick. In comparison to those two Cena and Batista are averagely sized men.

The guys that Vince allegedly doesn't like are Jerichos, Malenkos, Benoits, Guerreros, people like that. Good wrestlers but average sized men.

It's not that Vince doesnt like them it's that the fans dont pay to see the Jericho sized guy's in the main-event. Although obviously Vince does like them otherwise they wouldnt be pushed in the first place but anyway there not the guy's I am talking about. Let's stick to the Undertakers and Koslov's of wrestling please.

vince doesnt do the big men ( wow that sounds gay) bc the muscular guys were most likely on steroids and from a PR standpoint Vince is trying to stay away from getting any more heat regarding drugs.I am pretty sure if Vince had his way we wud load up the WWE with 6ft 4 280 muscular oiled up men in tights

i think it may be the case of alot of big men these days dont really have the 'look'. i for one wouldnt be keen on buying khali or snitsky merchandise!

I know we are trying to stick to the Undertakers and Andres of wrestling but I quickly have to agree with the point Klunder made that Vince has always favored big muscular guys like Hogan, Brock, Batista and HHH...but you can also include Andre and Kane and guys like Nash and Taker because thier physiques are both tall and bulky guys. Anyway...I think a major reason you don't see a lot of big guys sticking around too long anymore is because it is a lot tougher on a big mans frame to endure the physical strain of the business...especially on the grueling schedule they have to endure now. There are always exceptions to the rule like Taker who himself is breaking down and Big Show who is also working with injuries. True big guys, 6'8" and bigger, are a rare commodity anyway because being big isn't enough to make it. You need the skill and atheletisicm to go along with the body. Not a common combination. I personally think a guy like Matt Morgan has the goods and if Vince has the chance to grab him he would be stupid not to. For me though I would rather watch two small or average sized guys who are excellent wrestlers than two big guys who are average or pretty good wrestlers.

Lets see Snitsky had to go cuz of Roids,look at the guy he was a walking pimple, Knox is the same way. Vince is trying to get the guys to bulk down so Congress leaves his company alone so he can still shoot roids. Look at him no 60+ year old man on the panet is as jacked as he is. Except for hogan and we all know about him. Khali can't be dominant cuz as big as he is he is like every other big man there weakness is there knees, khali can barely walk same as Nash, same as taker age catches up with everyone. Matt morgan could be a dominant big man if he half the talent as any of the above mentioned, but Andre come on he had less moves than Hogan and we all know about the big boot, body slam, leg drop, and don't forget the convulsations.

When thinking about the big guys, you realize it's a good thing that wrestling is scripted. I watch Khali trying to work without bending his knees or A-Train stumbling around the ring while attempting to look believable. Also, I think of how pathetic poor Andre looked in the twilight of his career, barely able to walk, let alone catch the smaller guys. Still, it often worked because the script called for the little guy to run directly into the arms of the huge guy. Phony, but effective.

Think of all the times Hogan beat Randy Savage. In a shoot match, he never would have gotten near the Macho Man. Five minutes into the match, Hogan would have looked like a man who had just run a marathon.

I think Vince McMahon has been smart enough to keep his finger on the pulse of his audience and realize that today's fan would rather see smaller, well-conditioned wrestlers than those immobile behemoths he used to favor.

"It's not a bad thing......it's a good thing!"

-Diamond Dallas Page

You say Batista's not a "big man", but he's pretty huge. Bobby Lashley was huge. JBL is a big guy. If you are going to label Umaga in the "big man" category, you have to label them in it as well. And typically guys as big a Khali aren't that good. Giant Gonzalas was just as horrible as Khali, if not worse. Undertaker is amazing because of his experience, as well as Kane, who have both been in the business for many many years. Big Show is amazing as well, but he gets wear and tear pretty often. And typically Vince likes the huge guys because they make great heels; a david-and-goliathesque storyline.

I hate this topic. It all boils down to character, folks, not size. If it really came down to size, we'd still be seeing guys like Snitsky and Nathan Jones and Heidenreich on TV. Look at Santino. Not that big of a guy, hasn't really shown any potential in the ring, but his character is one of the best in the biz right now and Vince knows, hence all the exposure. How much exposure is Khali getting these days that isn't squash/comedy related? Where are the Khali t-shirts? (Hell, Santino has 2 already with a 3rd on the way and he's been active for less than 2 years...Khali has been around for almost 4 years and doesn't have a single piece of merch)

Point is, we're not really in a defined era of pro wrestling right now...there isn't a great emphasis on anything right now other than keeping the core audience happy to get through the economic recession as unscathed as possible. Everyone is just kinda spinning wheels and keeping everything status quo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back