• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE cut Cena's legs off by not continuing the Rapper character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanye South

YEP YEP YEP WHAT IT DO
Of course they did. Plenty of times. The most important example was how they neglected to make Hornswoggle a 20-time World Champion. Or giving Colin Delaney the Goldberg push. But did the WWE chop off it's proverbial dick by not taking John Cena's rapper gimmick to the main event?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, John Cena used to come out from 2003 to about 2005 and rap from time to time. He turned his swag on plenty of times, son. He proved plenty of times that no one on the corner had swagger like John. He made the world Crank That Chain Gang. Okay, he didn't, but he was very entertaining in his rapper gimmick. He even released an album. Of course it was horrible, but so is alot of stuff that's popular in music today, *cough*SouljaBoyJonasBrothersHannahMontana*cough*. Anyways, I believe the album went Gold, and it's tracks were occasionally used in movies and other shit. Cena was main-eventing Raw as a thug, and in about '07, he started to 'tone it down'. He went from a rapper to a thug to a marine/soldier. It was believed that it was just for promotion of his Marine film, but he continued this soldier gimmick until about 2008. Then he started to resemble a result of a Hulk Hogan incest scandal. Cena got blander and blander, until he started coming out and giving boring promos and his character got worse and worse. It doesn't mean he's bad on the mic, it just means that the WWE is feeding him stupid material.

Do you think the WWE fucked up by not keeping him with the rapper gimmick?

Personally, I think the WWE fucked itself in the ass with the ***** of destruction when they decided to stop Cena's rapper gimmick. John Cena as a rapper could work. If Soulja Boy can go multi-platinum, then John Cena can. If they got a couple of flashy beats, a good writer, and some guest spots from a couple of mediocre rappers and R & B singers, then they would have a pop culture icon leading their country. He would have to go on shows to promote his album, and I'm not just talking the Conan appearance every 6 months, I'm talking MTV, BET, NBC, CUM. Yeah, big shit. When Cena had his rapper gimmick, he was on shows like 106 & Park. That's a fucking Top 10 Hip Hop and R&B Video Countdown on BET (Black Entertainment Television). That's exposure the WWE just won't get these days.

If Cena had continued the rapper gimmick, he would have not only become a pop culture icon, but he could have helped the WWE's ratings. Wouldn't you watch Raw if instead of Hornswoggle dry-humping HBK's leg, John Cena was berating everyone in sight in the form of hip hop? His "Time Is Now" video on YouTube has like 1,000,000 views. Cena as a rapper creates a pop culture icon, interesting shows, higher ratings, and possibly an overall better product. John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio doesn't seem interesting now, but Rapper John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio sounds cool as fuck.

I think that if WWE continued the Cena rapper gimmick, then he would be a pop culture icon on the rank of Hogan. Hogan was known for being a role model to kids. Austin was known for being a rebel. Cena could have been known for being the rapper.

Do you think the WWE chopped off their proverbial hairy dick by not continuing Cena's rapper gimmick?

This is the worst fucking thread I have ever read here. Seriously..

How long do you actually think a rapper in the main event would have worked? How many different raps can he come up with coming down the ramp? This same thread would be created bitching about how stupid the gimmick is and how stale the WWE is if he was still rapping.

I don't like how Cena's character is being babied up by the WWE, but thinking the rap character was the big money maker for the WWE is just fucking ridiculous. I wish he was more of an edgy character but let Creative handle these situations. They obviously aren't doing a great job because he's being booed in arenas, but it seems the WWE just wants a reaction... good or bad.

What's really ironic is that WWE is using the guest host idea to get main stream fans to come over and it gets laughed at by most of the real fans. Trying to push a rapper wrestler into MTV is just hilarious.

Other than that, this thread is awful.

Rapping Cena was the WORST thing I have ever seen. I have no idea how anyone in their right mind would actually think that he was good at it. He was the epitome of the "white rapper" everything he did was horrible.

I don't know what you are thinking. He would never had had a top album or been taken seriously as a musician.

Agreed with the poster above, this thread is awful.

dude it would actually be better than he is now

THAT Cena is the one who's character everyone fell in love with, not this one.

And anyone who cheers him does because of his early gimmick imo.

That was better hands down and atleast his mic work can better, I dont care what a typicaly negative critic has to say, Cena's freestyle promos were awesome and he was at his best then, but he betrayed the Chain Gang and got his Cena Nation

I aint in the Cena Nation, I'm in the Chain Gang, when Cena's ready to go back to what made him big then I'll support him 100%

This Cena today isnt the Cena that beat JBL for the title at WM21 and FUed Bigshow at WM20. This Cena is a step down from the perfection he was in 2003-04 or 05

John Cena would be better off with his rapper gimmick now than what he has become.

His album wasnt bad either, I like his songs, not all, but quite a few are good:

Right Now
The Time is Now
Untouchable
If It All Ended Tomorrow
Bad Man

and the video for Bad Man was cool & Right Now

Jericho & his band Fozzy is good to for the record

but Cena is just plain straight up & real, the music industry today is corrupt. Atleast we can enjoy Cena's music and not have to dissect it, but that's another topic I'm not gonna get into

Rapper Cena was really the only time I ever enjoyed him as a character. I loved that gimmick; he was cool, badass, and funny, I mean his battle raps were legit funny. And compared to what he is now:a boring, goody-two shoes "Superman" character hat's so stale, you could crumble it over a salad, the rapper gimmick is sorely missed.

I don't think WWE missed the boat on making Cena a media darling; the guy's been on all kinds of tv and radio shows, award's shows, sporting events, etc. He got all that exposure without the gimmick. Plus, Cena isn't THAT great a rapper where he would've been a hit on MTV or anything (though you make a strong case with Soulja Boy, I'll give you that)

The only thing I feel they messed up on is taking away any shred of character or identity from him, which is what the rapper gimmick provided. Now he's just a plain guy who never gives up and wins a lot.

I don't know if Cena staying as a rapper would have bettered the product business wise, but it would've made it more entertaining for me personally.

I was watching the decade of Smackdown! DVD this holiday and saw the match between Cena and Carlito for the US Championship in which Carlito won by cheating by hitting Cena with Cena's chain. In that match Cena was cocky and a show-off, and his move set was more then the "5 moves of doom". Overall, the crowd liked him. I would prefer if this Cena were to come back.

Of course they did. Plenty of times. The most important example was how they neglected to make Hornswoggle a 20-time World Champion. Or giving Colin Delaney the Goldberg push. But did the WWE chop off it's proverbial dick by not taking John Cena's rapper gimmick to the main event?

Hilarious. Really.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, John Cena used to come out from 2003 to about 2005 and rap from time to time. He turned his swag on plenty of times, son. He proved plenty of times that no one on the corner had swagger like John. He made the world Crank That Chain Gang. Okay, he didn't, but he was very entertaining in his rapper gimmick. He even released an album. Of course it was horrible, but so is alot of stuff that's popular in music today, *cough*SouljaBoyJonasBrothersHannahMontana*cough*.

I live Miley Cyrus, but Hannah is awful.

Cena got blander and blander, until he started coming out and giving boring promos and his character got worse and worse. It doesn't mean he's bad on the mic, it just means that the WWE is feeding him stupid material.

Actually, I think this is incorrect. See, the thing is, prior to 2008, Cena actuallu had some decent booking. He was booked in good feuds, a la Edge, Umaga, RVD, HBK. He was interesting in his 2007 feud with Orton because he was booked well. And whilst he was certainly shedding his gimmick of a rapper, he was able to do so by having a strong booking team.

Tell me honestly some great feuds for Cena in 2009. None really. He had little things here and there with Big Show, but the fact of the matter is, he wasn't given a storyline, and he had rubbish booking. This is usually when a wrestler can rely on his gimmick to tide him over. He didn't have this, and the WWE are with a Cena. But I still think that Cena isn't that bland. He's vanilla, perhaps, but some people like vanilla, and his promos are still intense when he wishes them to be. His gimmick is no longer marine or rapper, because he's bigger then a character. John Cena himself is a superstar, and he relies on his star power alone.

Not at all. We're in the PG Era, and rappers aren't very PG. No offense to anyone whose a fan of hip hop, but every should agree that the N.W.A isn't exactly fun for the whole family. I understand you like hip hop, but the WWE isn't out to appease you as an individual. His character now appeals to more people, and to be honest its better, instead of being a corny rapper that would never be accepted anyways.

I cut out a lot of the shit you wrote because it was just a garnish. Sure, he would get great exposure as a rapper. If only he wasn't a wrestler. He would more than likely still be a joke in the media, because he wrestles half naked men every monday. If you think someone can really transcend the business, you're thinking of the Rock. And he's in a tooth fairy movie.

By the way, how did that Randy Savage rap album do?

John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio doesn't seem interesting now, but Rapper John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio sounds cool as fuck.

Meh. It's really the same thing. I don't see the difference.

I think that if WWE continued the Cena rapper gimmick, then he would be a pop culture icon on the rank of Hogan. Hogan was known for being a role model to kids. Austin was known for being a rebel. Cena could have been known for being the rapper.

Or Cena could be known as The Champ. Or the dude with the Spinner belt. Or Ernesto Stavro Blofeld. He can be whatever you percieve him to be. Because for everyone that percieved Hogan to be a great role model, there might have been a whole other crowd that considered him an old prick thats ruining TNA.

Do you think the WWE chopped off their proverbial hairy dick by not continuing Cena's rapper gimmick?

While I don't agree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

This is the worst fucking thread I have ever read here. Seriously..

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=89925

Not anymore.

How long do you actually think a rapper in the main event would have worked?

As long as John was a main eventer.

How many different raps can he come up with coming down the ramp?

He wouldn't neccessarily have to rap everytime he came down the ramp, he would just have to carry around the thug gimmck. The persona of a thug. For example, he would do things like make fun of faces, hit on divas, and talk random shit to people. Like a thug/rapper.

This same thread would be created bitching about how stupid the gimmick is and how stale the WWE is if he was still rapping.

If the WWE managed to pull a gimmick as awesome as this, then I wouldn't even be on this site right now, I'd be on YouTube MTFO-ing over Cena's greatness.

I don't like how Cena's character is being babied up by the WWE, but thinking the rap character was the big money maker for the WWE is just fucking ridiculous. I wish he was more of an edgy character but let Creative handle these situations. They obviously aren't doing a great job because he's being booed in arenas, but it seems the WWE just wants a reaction... good or bad.

Saying they just want a reaction is just damn stupid. If they just wanted a reaction, then they'd have him skullfuck Orton every week while Hornswoggle sat on the ring apron whacking off his member. The WWE has been trying to push Cena as a top face for the past five years, and ever since then the fans have been turning on him. The fans never turned on The Rock or Austin, because they had attitude and they were fucking awesome. The reason Cena is hated, is because the WWE books him as if he has no attitude. The fans started to turn on Hogan in WCW pre-nWo, too, for the same reason. Which is why the nWo was created. Cena will stay over when he gains some attitude.

What's really ironic is that WWE is using the guest host idea to get main stream fans to come over and it gets laughed at by most of the real fans.
Trying to push a rapper wrestler into MTV is just hilarious.

The guest host thing and Cena as a rapper are two completely different things. Most of the non-wrestling hosts do stupid shit like fuck around with the Bellas and don't know the first thing about wrestling. But go and watch any pre-2006 Cena vid on the mic, and tell me that he's not entertaining. He was something different than Hogan, Austin, or Rock, but he was just as entertaining. You said yourself that you hate how the WWE "babies Cena down", so the Rapper gimmick would be the perfect way to spice him up.

And I really doubt MTV would be so unreachable. Cena has been on video countdown shows on BET, which was targeted at blacks. If Cena can go and target that audience, then it must not be that hard to target the Twilight/Hannah Montana audience. All you really need to get in good with them is a hit record, a six-pack, and a friendly smile, all of which Cena could have.

Other than that, this thread is awful.

And you're a donkey cock ring.

Oh, I thought we were still playing that game.

Why don't people understand that in wrestling, things need to change. John Cena would never be taken legit if he continued the rapping gimmick. It was fun for awhile, got him noticed, and pushed him a little bit. It wasn't until he dropped the gimmick until his career really soared. So no, to keep him as the rapper would be fucking ******ed.

Personally, I think the WWE fucked itself in the ass with the ***** of destruction..

I'm gonna start my reply off by saying that is probably one of the best things I have read on these boards..

Now as for the thread itself. First let me start with Cole924..

If you could actually wrap your head around what Juicy was getting at, and not revolve everything around the wrestling world, then maybe you would not think "This is the worst fucking thread ever." The only reason Cena is in the spot that he is in now is because of his prior gimmick of rippin on people through freestyles.

"How many different raps can he come up with coming down the ramp?" See that is what is beautiful about being musically creative my friend. Though he's by no means on my top artist list, he does have some skill. See what Juicy was getting at was the fact that say if they did stick with it, and he actually made some waves with his raps, then countless doors for revenue and business partnerships could have potentially been opened up. The dudes first shitty CD went gold, if he was actually serious about it I don't see why he couldn't continually do at least that. The problem is is that WWE would have to let Cena actually go with it and not tone him down to their standards because thats when you get garbage.

As for I_Like_All_Wrestling, I don't know why, but I don't really like you. Don't take offense but I have been reading these boards for a long time, and recently I have started to notice some of the most irritating comments come after your name. You try to make people feel dumb for not being as "in the loop" as you are. Saying shit like, last I heard Edge's contract has an injury clause that has extended it due to the time he has taken off. And, there's no way Austin is going fucking anywhere because I had heard he signed a 57 year contract and signed his soul over. Bro, for one I don't know how old you are but you are probably arguing with 12 year olds who are excited to think about what could happen. Now if your 12 then by all means argue away but still. And two, who the fuck are you? You "hear" all these little stories from the website you were on to get to these discussion forums just like everyone else. Nobody likes a know-it-all, and certainly not a know-it-all who doesn't even know if the shit "he knows" is fact or fiction.

And with that, Juicy good thread son. I see where you were tryin to go with this and who knows what couldv'e been. I think the only way Cena could make it work is to turn heel again and just commit lyrical murder on everyone.. If he even could haha.

I'm gonna start my reply off by saying that is probably one of the best things I have read on these boards..

Oh. someone who likes JKO? This will be fun

If you could actually wrap your head around what Juicy was getting at, and not revolve everything around the wrestling world, then maybe you would not think "This is the worst fucking thread ever." The only reason Cena is in the spot that he is in now is because of his prior gimmick of rippin on people through freestyles.
Hahahaha. oh. wow. Yes, yes THIS is the reason why John Cena is the top superstar in the WWE right now. It has nothing to do with his extraordinary dedication, his good in ring skills, his outstanding charisma, his connection with the fans or the fact that he has worked extremely hard to get where he is. No. The 4 promos he did in 2003 secured his place as WWE Champion for the rest of his career.

"How many different raps can he come up with coming down the ramp?" See that is what is beautiful about being musically creative my friend. Though he's by no means on my top artist list, he does have some skill. See what Juicy was getting at was the fact that say if they did stick with it, and he actually made some waves with his raps, then countless doors for revenue and business partnerships could have potentially been opened up. The dudes first shitty CD went gold, if he was actually serious about it I don't see why he couldn't continually do at least that. The problem is is that WWE would have to let Cena actually go with it and not tone him down to their standards because thats when you get garbage.
If you could actually wrap your head around what Cole924 was getting at, and not revolve everything around the wrestling world, then maybe you would see what he was trying to get at. It's not that they couldn't write a new rhyme for him every week. It's just that it would get so generic and so overdone that no one would care anymore and they would hate him just as much as they might for doing a salute or the five knuckle shuffle or the "You can't see me" now.

As for I_Like_All_Wrestling, I don't know why, but I don't really like you.
Don't be a negative nancy. Or neddy. Or John.

I_Like_All_Wrestling is better than you anyways.

And with that, Juicy good thread son. I see where you were tryin to go with this and who knows what couldv'e been. I think the only way Cena could make it work is to turn heel again and just commit lyrical murder on everyone.. If he even could haha.
And with this, he secure yourself in the 7th circle of hell. A cena heel turn. How original. What will you suggest next? Edge cashing in his MITB?

If you could actually wrap your head around what Juicy was getting at, and not revolve everything around the wrestling world, then maybe you would not think "This is the worst fucking thread ever." The only reason Cena is in the spot that he is in now is because of his prior gimmick of rippin on people through freestyles. ainl

You know what. You are right. The WWE made such a bad business decision not making the IWC happy by keeping him a rapper. They hate that his merchandise sells and that kids actually make their parents buy PPVs to see him wrestle. Why wouldn't they keep his rapper angle where the 18-32 market thought he was... "cool!" so that they can really kick into that revenue of ppl finding online streams of PPVs and not buying merchandise? That makes perfect sense, right? But wait, Cena would be a bigger star in his old role? Are you serious? I think they made the right move and it's paying off.

Yeah... terrible business decision by the WWE. Sometimes people ask "Does the WWE actually think their fan base is that stupid?" To that.. I say yes. People that actually try to defend this argument. People that actually try to make an intelligent thread w/ as many dick references they can possibly find. People who don't realize that change is needed in wrestling.

Monkey Shepherd said it best.

It was fun for awhile, got him noticed, and pushed him a little bit. It wasn't until he dropped the gimmick until his career really soared. So no, to keep him as the rapper would be fucking ******ed.

Ah ha I'll score that as a point for me considering I effected you SO MUCH that you felt so compelled to reply JUST to rip on me. No one was talkin to you bro, your boy can fight his own battles if he wants to take it up with me.

That's a cool little dinosaur picture you have there too. Go play with your Jurassic Park action figures and come back at me when you grow some hair on your chest.

Yo thats not what Im getting at jackass. Obviously Cena is making boatloads of dough for Vince. We all know that. What I was trying to do, was stay on the topic of this thread, and contemplate if done correctly could Cena on his rise up in popularity put out a 2nd album and open up doors to the music industry. Thus, creating business partnerships between Vince and the mainstream that he craves so much. Never did I say Cena isn't fuckin dedicated and I simply cannot live with myself because he doesn't rap. I was simply giving my take on "Did the WWE chop off its proverbial dick" by not capitalizing on Cena and his first cd.

You guys are just fuckin too much sometimes. I swear you would think I just launched a personal war with you douchebags.

My opinion on this is and its No. Cena from 2003-2005 had his rapper gimmick and was "The Doctor of Thuganomics" and it was awesome, he had good feuds with established wrestlers, was aggressive with how he went about wrestling and got over big time and was very funny. By 2005 through to early 2006 he was the thug with the Chain Gang, i loved that and so did the fans, during 2006 he shed all that and had great moments and feuds that year, was in a feud with Edge which helped catapault Edge further, still in 2006 he had great mic work and good ability in ring.

But he couldn't just remain "The Doctor of Thuganomics" rapper and The Chain Gang Commander, he was changing with the times and had the marine/soldier gimmick at that point in 2007 he was different to the crowd. But his highlights of 2007 with Orton and his gradually had higher profile matches and over the years has become a pop culture icon and the face of the Number 1 wrestling company in the world. He wouldn't have become an icon like he is as rapper but who knows it could of.

Even though as a major John Cena mark from late 2004/start of 2005, when it hit 2008 and became the Hulk Hogan esque character he is now i was sceptical of him but he's put on great matches since that change, and has become even bigger. And even though his fanbase has changed over the years from adults, teens and women to mostly teens and young kids and some adults, his still over and gets his share of boos due to the fans wanting him to be heel and were fans of his older gimmicks.

So no the WWE didn't fuck up in any way, he's elevated over the years, helped push new guys, has put on top matches and is loved by many, and everyone has to change no matter how great their character/gimmick was, change is a good and bad thing.

I thought about doing a thread similar to john cena rap gimmick. Glad you made this. So here is what I think. This gimmick is what made cena today. I would love if Cena brought this rap gimmick back. No one was booing Cena with the rap gimmick, until he toned it down. I missed the freestyles, the chain he carries around his neck and hit people with it.

I feel Cena rap gimmick would be bigger then the superman/hogan version of Cena. Cena rap gimmick was one of the first things that wwe was messing up on. I'm a Cena fan. Met him 3 times in the casino I worked at real cool guy. But anyways Cena rap/thug gimmick is why I'm drawn to Cena to this day. So I say bring the old Cena back forget the PG ERA.

Cena doesnt nescesarily need to go back to the same rapper gimmick but he definatly needs something fresh and new, something where he has an attitude of some sort. also, they need to push another person to a top face, so they have someone to fall back on and incase they wanna refresh cena by turning him heel for a bit.

really cole?really THIS was the worst thread you've ever seen?i suggest you go chech out the trash section on the forum pages..u might find worse.I thought this was a well thought through thread.unlike your reply which just consisted of no thought and just pure rage towards juicy for even suggesting that cenas rapping gimmick was popular..yes it was,once he dropped it thats when people started to turn on him and the more the months went on the more people started to hate him. Im not putting the reason he dropped his rapper gimmick as the soul reason people turned on him,i assure you there were probailly many others.

Yes it was entertaining, at least i thought it was.i got a few chuckles out of it. and i was actually a bit disappointed when they dropped it.But as far as how far it would of taken him?not far, the wwe was heading in a new direction at the time,or at least they were slowing gearing towards it. It just wouldnt of fit in the PG era. Besides i think i read somewhere, maybe it was on this site at one point but i remember reading cena was a big influence on the decision to go pg.now dont you all go WHERES YOU PROOF I NEED THE PROOF SHOW ME THE DAMN LINK...i...dont...remember. Like i said it was something i read somewhere, wether it was on this site,or one of you mentioned it or it was on another site..i dont remember,so sue me. So yeah it was probailly cenas idea to drop the gimmick since it helped get him over and when he was over he didnt need that gimmick anymore. It would of been cool tho if he kept it just a bit longer. But oh well whats done is done.

I don't think he'd be on the level of fame he is now if he continued doing JUST rap. I'd love to see them switch it up and have him rap occasionally. John Cena is one of my favorite wrestlers, i've been a fan of his since day one. I think people would have gotten bored of it by now, or he might have ran out of flow. Whichever. I think they should do it again, for a short period of time. Just to see how it'd go over today. That could be a good way to ease out of the PG era, have Cena come out and just battle someone. His raps were funny as hell, but they could get a little Rated R. John Cena is where he's at right now because the raps helped everyone identify him. They put him on the fucking map.

Better yet, they should of turned him heel at around 08, but maybe not. I really personally think WWE should turn Cena heel, it will put ratings through the roof, he can just come down the ramp with authority after another loss to Sheamus, then go. "You know what, i'm sick of all you fans who are glad to see Sheamus beat me, and i'm sick of all you kids who keep chanting my name which makes me look even worse. From now on, you are gonna see a whole new John Cena." he then takes his hat and shirt off, spits on it and throws it to the crowd. He then walks away without making any eye contact to the fans. Or even better yet give an attitude adjustment to each member of DX when they are supposed to be in his team, then maybe brutally attack them with a steel chair.

I have to agree that this is a terrible thread, but I hate Cena so much, I can't help myself. I wish he would have stuck with the rapper gimmick. I wish he would have hired a great rapper to write tunes for him. I wish the world would have loved him, and bought his albums, that way he could have left wrestling, and I would NEVER have to see one of his God-awful matches again. He is terrible wrestler, and is annoying on the mic. He isn't funny, and I wish someone would let him know that. But in all honesty, the only thing that could be more annoying than listening to him crack terrible jokes, would be to listen to him rap. Same thing goes for his "movie career." I hope he starts tearing up the box office (he won't) so he will leave wrestling like the Rock did. He's a nice guy and a good worker, but Jesus, he is terrible.

What makes everyone so sure that it was the WWE's idea to drop the rapper gimmick for Cena? Do we know that it wasn't Cena who said, okay, this is played out?

Considering that John Cena is the defacto face of the WWE in public, I think it is really foolish to suggest that somehow the WWE dropped the ball by not maintaining his rapper gimmick. Has he needed it to stay incredibly popular with the teenyboppers? Hell no. I am not a John Cena fan, but, honestly, he is much better off doing what he is currently doing, namely, being himself, with the intensity cranked up, getting amped while telling us how he will never ever quit, etc. How the hell would his feud with Orton have worked if Cena was still Rapper John, MD? The rapper thing was fine when he was a midcarder, but, as a main eventer, it would have buried him.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, John Cena used to come out from 2003 to about 2005 and rap from time to time. He turned his swag on plenty of times, son. He proved plenty of times that no one on the corner had swagger like John. He made the world Crank That Chain Gang. Okay, he didn't, but he was very entertaining in his rapper gimmick. He even released an album. Of course it was horrible, but so is alot of stuff that's popular in music today, *cough*SouljaBoyJonasBrothersHannahMontana*cough*. Anyways, I believe the album went Gold, and it's tracks were occasionally used in movies and other shit. Cena was main-eventing Raw as a thug, and in about '07, he started to 'tone it down'. He went from a rapper to a thug to a marine/soldier. It was believed that it was just for promotion of his Marine film, but he continued this soldier gimmick until about 2008. Then he started to resemble a result of a Hulk Hogan incest scandal. Cena got blander and blander, until he started coming out and giving boring promos and his character got worse and worse. It doesn't mean he's bad on the mic, it just means that the WWE is feeding him stupid material.

Personally, I think the WWE fucked itself in the ass with the ***** of destruction when they decided to stop Cena's rapper gimmick. John Cena as a rapper could work. If Soulja Boy can go multi-platinum, then John Cena can. If they got a couple of flashy beats, a good writer, and some guest spots from a couple of mediocre rappers and R & B singers, then they would have a pop culture icon leading their country. He would have to go on shows to promote his album, and I'm not just talking the Conan appearance every 6 months, I'm talking MTV, BET, NBC, CUM. Yeah, big shit. When Cena had his rapper gimmick, he was on shows like 106 & Park. That's a fucking Top 10 Hip Hop and R&B Video Countdown on BET (Black Entertainment Television). That's exposure the WWE just won't get these days.

If Cena had continued the rapper gimmick, he would have not only become a pop culture icon, but he could have helped the WWE's ratings. Wouldn't you watch Raw if instead of Hornswoggle dry-humping HBK's leg, John Cena was berating everyone in sight in the form of hip hop? His "Time Is Now" video on YouTube has like 1,000,000 views. Cena as a rapper creates a pop culture icon, interesting shows, higher ratings, and possibly an overall better product. John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio doesn't seem interesting now, but Rapper John Cena vs. Rey Mysterio sounds cool as fuck.

Yeah................................No

Cena's rapper gimmick was good while he was in the midcard because it got him over and exposed him to the audience. When he went to the main event, he ditched the rapper gimmick and became a bigger success than before. He would probably still be in the midcard if he still stuck with the gimmick because he has greater matches without it then in it and that gimmick had a low shelf-life anyways so it was good to let it go when they did.

As for I_Like_All_Wrestling, I don't know why, but I don't really like you. Don't take offense but I have been reading these boards for a long time, and recently I have started to notice some of the most irritating comments come after your name. You try to make people feel dumb for not being as "in the loop" as you are. Saying shit like, last I heard Edge's contract has an injury clause that has extended it due to the time he has taken off. And, there's no way Austin is going fucking anywhere because I had heard he signed a 57 year contract and signed his soul over. Bro, for one I don't know how old you are but you are probably arguing with 12 year olds who are excited to think about what could happen. Now if your 12 then by all means argue away but still. And two, who the fuck are you? You "hear" all these little stories from the website you were on to get to these discussion forums just like everyone else. Nobody likes a know-it-all, and certainly not a know-it-all who doesn't even know if the shit "he knows" is fact or fiction.

How many great matches did Cena have when he had his rapping gimmick? Not very many to tell you the truth. After he ditched the gimmick, he became more popular, had great matches, and sold merchandise like crazy and became the best wrestler in this business.

Cena constantly doing raps will be like Lil Wayne's music. It's cool after a while but when you start running out of material, you're new material will be shit and that what was going to happen to Cena.

Cena needed the gimmick while he was in the midcard but now that he is in the main event, he didn't need it anymore.

I preferred 'Rapper Cena' to the current one, The current one just says near enough the same shit week in and week out, but changes what point he starts shouting every now and then.

The rapping wasn't so much the draw regarding Cena, but more the crowd interaction he had. He'd gt up and call the audience 'The Chain Gang' and they ate it up. Remember how much people loved The Rock interacting with audiences? Cena did that too when he was the rapper/thug, now he doesn't do anything but say 'Do you guys want to see a Wrestlemania rematch?' or some shit and that's it. Has he ever actually referred to the crowd as the 'Cena-tion' or is just written on his shirts and wrist bands?

I liked Cena's character a shed load more than modern Cena, but i doubt him staying like that would have done anything significant for the 'E', long term. It'd be same matches, same fueds, same title wins, but with slightly more humorous dialogue.

Staleness doesn't always HAVE to occur with a long standing gimmick. HBK's been doing the same thing for 20 years and no one says 'HBK needs to change', do they? I don't mean moaning about DX either. DX HBK is no different to non-DX HBK, except he has to wear green, so i don't think Cena would've been hated JUST because he'd still be a rapper personally, but as i said, it wouldn't have helped him by anything significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back