• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Bragging Rights 2010 - General Discussion

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

General Discussion

With Bragging Rights only 3 weeks away and some of the matches already coming together, I am anxious to get some thoughts from you about how the PPV looks as a whole.

Do you think that 3 weeks is enough of a build for some of the matches? Do you think that something big is going to go down in the main event or beyond? Will The Miz cash in on a newly-crowned WWE Champion in Wade Barrett? How do you think the ratings are going to do in a very congested time of the year for the WWE, in regards to PPV events?

For me, I fully expect Bragging Rights to be a good PPV. I have always been a fan of having the brands compete against each other since the inception of the brand split. Let us not forget about the hellacious match that John Cena and Randy Orton had at Bragging Rights last year, Ever since that event, Bragging Rights has become one of my most anticipated events of the WWE calendar. I expect a lot from it, even if the WWE might not echo that sentiment.

Please use this thread for all discussion pertaining to WWE Bragging Rights.

I'm afraid I can't say I share your enthusiasm, DFA. As with many WWE ppv's these days, there is the obvious danger that it be thrown together too quickly, much like HIAC was in my opinion. While it is refreshing to see Wade Barrett in the main event, I don't see it as being anything major and will probably end in some sort of Nexus/Cena related finish, with Orton succesfully defending.

Looking forward to (hopefully) seeing another Natalya divas title match. For the first time in quite a while, that particular title scenario has my attention because Natalya/McCool/Layla can actually work decent matches, whatever the combination.

The SD vs Raw portion of the event doesn't really appeal to me as much as it does to you. Every year it seems very manufactured, because there is no real competiton ever being pushed between the two shows except for this three weeks of the year, which is just too short a time to build the sort of programme that would have me so interested that I would fork out money for it. However, with that being said, I do like that Edge and Miz look like they will be working opposite eachother for a few weeks, which should be more interesting than watching a former 9 time world champion yell at/beat up a computer.

There's been little else promoted for the event as of yet, which just reinforces the fact that the show will be rushed, and my guess it will be just a pit-stop event before the Survivor Series programmes kick in, which is a shame, because given more time and a better format, this event could be a really good chance to run some decent cross-promotional matches if they were not portrayed in the style of a 5 on 5 clusterfuck of a feud.

I'm looking forward to seeing who the teams are going to be this year. Bragging Rights really could be an awesome PPV, but with Hell In A Cell being thrown in just to make more buy rates it doesn't have the proper build it could have. 3 weeks isn't anywhere near enough to create a compelling story going into any event really. Especially with the writers lack of inspiration.

I like the cross brand match ups, and am very happy Barrett(A new face) is in a main event title match.

The RAW and SD teams have a good chance of being stellar, but also have a high chance of being thrown together with no real thought at all.

I also agree with bringitback, this PPV could benefit from some really good dual-branded singles matches, we already have the 5 on 5 style matches coming next month at Survivor Series.

Yeah im going to buy Bound For Glory instead of HIAC and Bragging Rights beacause it has much more intresting storylines going on right now. Nexus and Cena is intersting but the PPVs in WWE are so close together and get thrown together so quick theres no time to bulid up much interst.

I have fear of the quick turn around PPVs like this are just killing the ability to tell really good stories. Sometimes there needs to be significant build like they have done with Kane and Taker, Cena and Nexus, etc. Then other things just seem so thrown together so quickly that it gets hard to even care about the matches at all. I think if the PPV schedule were cut back to about 7 PPVs a year, the big 4 (mania, summerslam, royal rumble, and survivor series) and the 3 other special events maybe King of the Ring, Halloween, Havoc, and Great American Bash, then they would all be a lot better.

I think the Raw vs. SD match could be more interesting if they include Nexus in the match. Nexus are out to destroy the WWE, so it would only make sense for Nexus vs. Raw vs. SD. Plus it could be a good build up for Survivor Series, have Nexus win the match and the trophy then post match the Raw & SD superstars beat down Nexus which leads to a WWE vs. Nexus Survivor Series match at SS.

As far as Barrett vs. Orton goes. The obvious & expected scenario here is Orton retaining and Miz cashing in to win the title off Orton. But the way I would handle it is have Nexus vs. Raw vs. SD go on last and Barrett vs. Orton in the middle of the card. Cena helps Barrett win the title then in the main event, Barrett helps Nexus win the match & trophy but then the Raw & SD superstars team up and beatdown all members of the Nexus with the exception of Cena probably, right after the beatdown, Miz cashes in on Barrett to the suprise of everyone, hits Skull Crushing Finale on Barrett as soon as he gets up and Miz pins him for the title then Orton could just come out & RKO Miz to end the show, so that it's either Orton vs. Miz or Orton vs. Miz vs. Barrett at Survivor Series for the title.

My card for this would be (in order from bottom to top)...

WWE Championship
The Miz vs. Wade Barrett

Winner: The Miz

Raw vs. Smackdown vs. Nexus
Sheamus, The Miz, Daniel Bryan, R-Truth & John Morrison vs. Edge, Big Show, Kofi Kingston, Jack Swagger & Kaval vs. Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, David Otunga, Michael McGillicutty & John Cena or Husky Harris

Winner: Nexus

Buried Alive Match for World Title
Undertaker vs. Kane

Winner: Undertaker

Rey Mysterio vs. Alberto Del Rio

Winner: Alberto Del Rio

Lumberjill Match for Divas Championship
Natalya vs. Michelle McCool

Winner: Natalya

WWE Championship
Randy Orton vs. Wade Barrett

Winner: Wade Barrett

Million Dollar Championship
Ted Dibiase vs. Goldust

Winner: Goldust

IC Championship
MVP vs. Dolph Ziggler

Winner: MVP

Undisputed Tag Team Championship
Cody Rhodes & Drew McIntrye vs. Mark Henry & Evan Bourne

Winners: Cody Rhodes & Drew McIntrye

I would have to agree with bringitback and some of the other posters above--mainly that with this pay per view only being 3 weeks away, there is not going to be enough time to properly develop interesting feuds.

Also, while Mr. Amazing's post above walks through an intriguing card, considering the theme of this pay per view, we have to see more raw vs. smackdown matches (unless the 6 man team thing is the only one). So we'll probably have to see a daniel bryan vs. ziggler cross promotional match in there somewhere too.

However, my biggest problem with this particular pay per view in general is actually the whole concept. I think last year WWE management actually assumed that the fans really have a strong opinion about who should win in matches, raw vs. smackdown. And while I could be wrong, I don't think that's really the case since they all are part of the same product. I think that to really make things interesting that winners of the cross-promotional matches should actually win something that could be story-line related. Even something contrived, like they get to pick a stipulation at their next title defense, or they get a title opportunity on their respective show, or a draft pick from the other show...something, anything. Because in the end, I really don't care which show wins a "trophy" and last year, it was really hard for me to care one way or the other who won any of the cross promotional matches because they didn't mean or change anything.

As far as Barrett vs. Orton goes. The obvious & expected scenario here is Orton retaining and Miz cashing in to win the title off Orton. But the way I would handle it is have Nexus vs. Raw vs. SD go on last and Barrett vs. Orton in the middle of the card. Cena helps Barrett win the title then in the main event, Barrett helps Nexus win the match & trophy but then the Raw & SD superstars team up and beatdown all members of the Nexus with the exception of Cena probably, right after the beatdown, Miz cashes in on Barrett to the suprise of everyone, hits Skull Crushing Finale on Barrett as soon as he gets up and Miz pins him for the title then Orton could just come out & RKO Miz to end the show, so that it's either Orton vs. Miz or Orton vs. Miz vs. Barrett at Survivor Series for the title.

So, let me get this right.. You would be willing to sacrifice a possible BIG TIME moment with Cena taking the belt off Barrett just so the fucking Miz can finally cash in his title shot? I like the Miz, but all this talk about him cashing in his title shot just seems completely not needed right now. Raw for the time being is the "Barrett owns Cena, but Cena hates it" show. Where does the Miz fit in?

Then you said Orton would go out on top again, despite losing his match? Huh?

As far as this PPV goes. Can't order it. Two PPVs in a row made me hate my cable bill at the moment. Though, it does feel like the only selling point from Raw will be the Barrett/Cena tension. Which makes me smile because if Barrett/Cena is the ONLY thing hyped for the show and it still manages to get buyrates.. Awesome! haha

Although I can't be sure, I have a feeling that there'll be a match between Intercontinental Champion Dolph Ziggler & United States Champion Daniel Bryan at Bragging Rights. It just suddenly popped into my head a little while ago because didn't John Morrison & The Miz have a match at last year's Bragging Rights ppv and didn't both of them happen to be champs at the time?

If it were to happen, I think it'd be a pretty fun match overall. I'm not really feeling the Bragging Rights ppv in general, the whole Raw & SmackDown! rivalry really doesn't seem to be all that tangible at the moment, but I think Bryan & Ziggler would put on a good match.

My Bragging Rights predictions are...

1) Interpromotional Match #1- Daniel Bryan (US Champ) d. Dolph Ziggler (IC Champ)

2) Interpromotional Match #2- Unified Diva's Title Match- Laycool (Michelle w/ Layla) d. Natalya

3) Alberto Del Rio d. Rey Mysterio

4) Million Dollar Championship- Ted DiBiase w/ Maryse d. Goldust w/ Aksana

5) Kane d. The Undertaker in a Last Man Standing Match or Casket Match- leaning towards the latter because it needs to be a really controversial finish setting up for the final match- a Buried Alive Match at SS with 'Taker winning with the stip being the loser "dies" (Kane retires)

6) Interpromotional Match #3- Raw (7) d. Smackdown (7)- The 5 Members of Nexus (Gabriel, Slater, Otunga, McGillicuty, and Harris) will interfere somewhere in the middle of the match and attack members from both teams

Raw 7- The Miz (captain), John Morrison, CM Punk, R-Truth, Sheamus, Mark Henry, and Santino Marella

Smackdown 7- The Big Show (captain), Jack Swagger, Edge, Kofi Kingston, Cody Rhodes, Drew McIntyre, and MVP

7) Randy Orton d. Wade Barrett w/John Cena by DQ

(Ref is knocked out-Wade has Randy up for the Wasteland, Randy slithers out and hits an RKO and pin-no Ref tho-he goes berserk and sets up for the punt but Cena grabs Barrett's leg and slides him out of the ring, Randy is extremely pissed and goes out of the ring and confronts Cena-epic staredown-Barrett attacks Orton with a steel chair and gets DQ'd, Barrett then turns around and looks at Cena, he looks at Cena then at the chair and back to Cena and finally offers his hand to Cena-Cena looks at the audience and the crowd is split between "don't do it" and "shake it" but Cena gives a heelish smirk and shakes Wade's hand and then...)

"I Came to Play"

8) After the Match-Miz cashes in his MitB against Randy Orton and becomes the new WWE Champion (There's no better place for him to do it than at Bragging Rights lol)

What do you all think about this potential card for BR? Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.?

You see you make the point or raise the question rather as to whether 3 weeks is long enough to throw togther rivalries. Nope it isnt and as a result what we often get well in WWE anyway is most matches of the coming PPV are made the exact day after the last PPV?.

This grants the oppertunity to induce some lazy booking at times say we look at john cena and batista's feud. The build up to this wrestlemania main event between these two was good and when it all came down cena beat batista hands down cleany, fair enough. So the next PPV is three weeks away, so what do we do....do we get cena into the fray with another contender with more than likely the match having to be named only 2 weeks from the PPV OR do we let a feud continue that logically could have ended already.

Well we all know what happened in the end because the other root just isnt viable for it to be long enough to draw up a really good feud. In the next PPV john cena won by 'cheating' and resultantly this gave rise to the oppertunity to just let the feud go on until ANOTHER PPV.....! I think there should be call for 6 major PPV's each with unique match types and draws and this would increase peoples hunger for the product at a PPV basis and buy rates resultantly.

It is quite possible that say barrett beats randy orton, which is possible and the Miz comes out to cash in...cena is force to choose between letting him or stopping him, either path projecting the nexus angle further which is only a good thing.

One thing that has to be said is that something is going to happen with santino, if not it would make no sense for him to be on team RAW. This site says it itself, santino marella a.k.a comedy jobber for life. That is how we all know him so either he might get thrust into a storyline, a real one not this tamina stuff which isnt leading anywhere, or demote him in some way. Either way there has to be a reason you see mark henry was meant to take the last spot but had personal issues and I could see bourne as being the guy who was supposed to take that spot had he not be having surgery instead. Make up your own mind on that.

Orton vs barrett GOOD, leaves open a wide array of possible outcomes +knock on storyline effects.

Team RAW v Team Smackdown AVERAGE,it has already been stated that this match is kindof worthless, its like your a kid saying haha I won, whats the point these are grown men they dont immaturely flaunt victory, they prize posessions. It would be like having a royal rumble match and at the end of it vince comes out and says well done you won.......... Then everybody leaves and nothing comes of it........! what would be the point.

I mean when it comes down to it anybody has the right to brag anyway, what stops jericho from slippinh in ......first undisputed champion...... or kane from going...... first real world title reign. there is nothing at stake in this match, apart from not actually putting on a good match, but that happens enough eithout consequences so not too worried there.

Im not going to make any predictions because were so close to the PPV that any potential matches should be obvious. e.g. taker v kane, del rio v rey mysterio, edge v swagger etc. and thats just smackdown. I do think that Punk will try to do something epic though to make a real mark just like he did on monday apart from that its hard to say.

I tell you this though if they continue to push morrison then draw him back to mid level and then push him back and forth its just like trying to get a hard on when your drunk it might go up but the sunbitch will come back down again, and its pretty hard to get laid that way

I'll be honest, there's not one single match on this pay per view that I actually care about. I get maybe 2 or 3 ppvs a year, but even when I don't get one there's usually at least one match on the card where I'm interested in who wins. Not this time.

undertaker vs. kane in buried alive: don't really see this one being any different than any of their other recent matches, just the ending. If this is the one where undertaker finally prevails, so be it. But so far the story and the buildup for this feud has been far more interesting than the actual matches.

orton vs. barrett. Truly don't care who wins this. I don't like orton, especially as a champion. And barrett is not truly ready for champion status because he does not have very good in ring abilities yet. He brawls and has maybe 2 more moves and a lame looking finisher. He is not entertaining to watch in the ring at all right now. He doesn't have what it takes to pull off a main event championship unless he has someone like cena or orton as an opponent that can go out of their way to make him look good.

Laycool vs. natalya. Really hard to care about this. Laycool will probably retain for a while longer but if they don't, good for natalya, but still can't really feel strongly either way.

bryan vs. ziggler. might be an entertaining match but in the end, does not matter who wins this one because there are no ramifications for either wrestler. probably will be ziggler after last monday's tap out, but who knows. after this match each one will go on to do their own separate things.

team raw vs. smackdown. why in the world should we or even the wrestlers care who wins this? are there actually a lot of people out there who have huge loyalty to one show over the other so this actually is meaningful? Since there is no real ramifications or rewards for the winners or losers, I just can't really care how this one ends up.

So all in all, seems like a more or less worthless ppv to me. Not to say that there won't be some moments of entertainment in there, but honestly, WWE has given us no reason to care about the winners of any of these matches.

i personally love the idea of bragging rights and am very excited to see it. i love the whole smackdown vs raw theme and watching the lockerrooms unite against each other.although i like survivor series i'd rather have the bragging rights type of tag match ( heels and faces of raw vs heels and faces of smackdown) then the survivor series matches (heels from both shows vs faces from both shows). i just wish they had more build up, this could be a huge ppv with a 4-6 week build up period.

I usually order most PPV's but I'm not going to order this. Look at the card:

Undertaker VS Kane-Buried Alive Match: This match will end the feud but honestly who cares if the Undertaker wins or not. The Undertaker isn't even 100%, so if he wins we will most likely get another medicore feud (unless its Edge) and if Kane wins, I have no idea who he will verse.

Randy Orton Vs Wade Barrett: Randy orton is running out of people to face for the championship and the only interesting parts of this match is if Barrett wins, which would be one of thw worst directions the company could go with. I don't think Barrett at this point, can even compete in a good match with any of the main eventers in the WWE and This match will be the same, a boring match where Orton does all the work. The only PPV order aspect is if The Miz cashes in

Smackdown Vs Raw Match: The roster changes so much that it doesn't matter who wins

Dolph Ziggler Vs Daniel Bryan- Another Pointless match

Laycool Vs Natayla- A championship that nobody cares about.

Personally Im looking forward to Bragging Rights again this year and I think all the Matches have been built up fine.

Team RAW vs Team Smackdown-This should be a fun Match and it gives guys like Alberto,Tyler Reks,Zeke,and even Santino some PPV exposure.

Randy Orton vs Wade Barrett-Im very intrigued with this one and to see what John Cena will do as well.

Kane vs Undertaker-Finally get to see a Buried Alive Match again for the first time in awhile,I think Survivor Series 2003 being the last one. Should be a decent and fun Match also. I hope Taker gets another World Title run.

Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler-Anyone who calls this Match pointless is an idiot. Im looking forward to it and could be a good one.

Michelle/Layla vs Natalya-Should be a solid Divas Match and Id like to see Nattie win the Divas Title.

There might not be anything on the line but anytime the Brands interact with each other is fine. Im looking forward to the PPV and will be getting it.

I still have not decided if I want to get this PPV yet. With UFC 121 being the night before it makes my decision that much harder. I think the WWE is booking their PPV's to close together, therefore the matches are not getting enough time to build to the point where the fans are willing to pay $45.00 for a PPV, especially when they give the results the next night on RAW anyway. I am interested in the PPV and would like to see it, but I most likely will be getting the UFC PPV instead. I think that it will be more exciting.

My Predictions:

Team RAW vs Team Smackdown-Team Raw doesn't have the in-team issues of Team Smackdown, when one looks at Mysterio/Del Rio, Swagger/Edge and a possibility of Kaval interfering.

Randy Orton vs Wade Barrett-Wade might win after a John Cena interference to give him the win and keep Orton strong. Cue Orton versus Nexus storyline to keep both fresh.

Kane vs Undertaker- As much as I would like to it last till Wrestlemania, I'm doubtful, plus its time for Undertaker to face someone new for a Wrestlemania run.

Daniel Bryan vs Dolph Ziggler-No clue, but it's going to be good either way.

Michelle/Layla vs Natalya - Natalya ain't winning this, at least not unless they decide Beth's recovery is taking too long. Plus they still have yet to do Layla versus Michelle, which Michelle would undoubtdly win. :rolleyes:

No clue about anything on the Tag Team division, but one can hope Genesis (McGuillicutty/Harris) might challenge them.

Five matches? Including a diva match?

AWESOME. Does the WWE beseech me? Are they actually going to give workers....*gasp*....TIME TO WORK?

Probably not....Im sure there will be some comedy skits and a random tag match thrown in there. There IS hope though, the card only has this stuff on it. Looking forward to this show.

Five matches? Including a diva match?

AWESOME. Does the WWE beseech me? Are they actually going to give workers....*gasp*....TIME TO WORK?

Probably not....Im sure there will be some comedy skits and a random tag match thrown in there. There IS hope though, the card only has this stuff on it. Looking forward to this show.

That's the spirit.

This is one of those PPVs just to give some spotlight on the mid card guys. It's refreshing to see people like Tyler Reks, Alberto Del Rio, Santino Marrella and Ezekiel Jackson mixing it up with more seasoned, yet fresh talent like Miz, Swagger, Kofi, Sheamus and Punk, combined with the star power of Big Show, Edge and Mysterio.

And that's just one match.

Then you've got Wade Barrett v Randy Orton for the strap with the Cena wild card. Honestly, Randy might as well be a clothes store mannequin, because the focus isn't on him tonight, it's on Cena. This'll probably play out exactly like Cena/JBL w/HBK did last year. OR maybe Miz will cash in on the victor and become champion to become the one with all the 'Bagging Rights' (can't you just hear him saying that in every promo for the next month?)

If i were booking it, i'd have Barrett beat Orton after taking a severe beating, by getting the ref knocked out and ordering Cena to beat on Orton. He wouldn't want to do it, and he'd stand around for ages as if he wouldn't do it, but reluctantly he would, and Orton would go down.

But Miz should come down and cash in on Barrett, who's still pretty banged up, and before Barrett can signal to Cena for help, Miz should hit the SCF and win the match, and then you an have a new champion, Randy himself could actually be the one to challenge Miz instead of Barrett because Barrett could go apeshit on Cena for not helping him retain the belt, and Cena can say 'well you didn't tell me to' and then they'll have a massive 'Will the GM fire Cena over this?' and so on......

But that's just how i'd go. I'm sure Randy will retain against Barrett.... whether he's the champion 10 minutes later is questionable.....

Then there's going to be Taker/Kane Buried Alive. Rewind to NOC and replace the ending with Taker being buried alive, and you'll know what to expect...... OH, but Paul Bearer will keep popping up on camera this time round, urn and all.

Daniel Bryan v Dolph Ziggler? It's just an excuse to get them on the card. GREAT! These guys are supposed to be the mid card champions, what the fuck are they doing? Jobbing to ME'rs or hanging off dead guy's widows! Give them 15 minutes, and let them show us why you put the belts on them.

LayCool v Natalya.... again... screams 'title change'. This is the Divas division we're talking about it's not like they really think outside the box with the ladies very often. I bet Gail Kim is wondering why she bothered coming back.

And yeah, like Will said, there'll probably be a random tag match in there too. And to be honet, so there should be. Drew and Cody won the belts 2 PPVs ago, haven't been up to much since, and hey MVP's whining about not doing anything, and Chris Masters hasn't been on PPV since his return, and haven't THEY become one of those random 'thrown together' tag teams? Not worth advertising, but certainly worth using more guys who haven't been on PPV much.

There's few matches, but 2 out of the three 3 matches have fresh faces with top talent, and the Taker/Kane fued is predictable but the build has been excellent. Who'd have ever thought Kane would go over the Deadman more than once in a ME, consecutively?

Predictions?

Team SD, because apparently they want to give hyping SD another go.

Natalya because she lost last time so by Diva booking logic she shouldn't lose again, plus LayCool dressed up as the Harts, and usually when they go that far with the piss taking, LayCool usually lose.

Daniel Bryan, because he's been jobbing a lot. Ziggler losing won't hurt him but would help Bryan a little, whereas Ziggler winning wouldn't really do ANYTHING for him, and would only hurt Bryan more.

Orton, because despite everyone's whining, they don't really have any other option the way they've played it. I'd have literally seen it all if they let an Englishman win the title over a 3rd generation champion.

Kane because Taker never wins Buried Alive matches.

And ya know what makes it better? In the UK, it's free.

Ted Dibiase vs Goldust just got announced. Sounds like a great match. It might not be the best on the card but it will definitely be an interesting one that will push the feud for the Million dollar title.

I think the show was decent and most of the results were good. My biggest problem though was having two matches randomly put together right before the show. Why did they not announce Ted VS Goldust sooner? Also.... Cena and Otunga as the tag team champions? How random. That's for another thread though. I give the show a B because it was really good as far as the "less important PPV's" go, but it could have been a little better. I'm interested in seeing where WWE go from here in the storylines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back