WWE and Social Media

SullivanSmith

Dark Match Winner
It's probably just me, which is fine, but I'm kind of digging the way WWE and their talent has embraced social media. I can see why it irks some other people but I'm enjoying the way they're using it to not only communicate with fans but also advance certain elements of their angles. For instance, the video Jerry Lawler posted on YouTube and the tweets Jim Ross posted in regards to the walk out on Raw.

To me, the best aspects of pro wrestling (outside the wrestling itself, of course) are the ones where it blurs the line between fantasy and reality. I hope WWE keeps this up without overdoing it.

Again, that's just my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of you who feel differently and have good reasons for it and I've love to hear them.

It irks me for one reason, like I said in a comment section of the article on Wrestlezone for Jerry Lawler videos, I think it kayfabe would be SO COOL if we didn't knew about it and if they didn't destroyed it in the pass.

When I see JR or Lawler trying to say if they had knew what repercussions their actions had they would have not made it or this or that when first they've been booked that way and 2 it's a story so they knew it would happen and that's why they did it.

To be honest I wouldn't be bothered by it if they spoke about it on Raw but when I see them staying in character on social media something just doesn't click with me.

I don't care for it much the way they are doing it...for one it's lame and confusing and not in a good way...half the time you can't tell if a wrestler is in character or shooting and sometimes nothing comes of it so what's the point, it'd be different if it led somewhere but allowing wrestlers to post on their own and for them is not a good idea...also I think it is risky since it exposes their biggest fan base (kids) to fans who are exposing how the business is fake...last time on raw during the YouTube video the top comment said kayfabe lives, I was shocked they let that on the air

i think there is a time and place for it, but it irks me too.

i was watching the top 50 OMG! moments and the twin refs for the Hogan/Andre match was one of them. instead of giving us an insider look at whose idea it was, the background of how they came up with the idea, etc, they kept it kayfabe. it pissed me off.

ole JR saying "i believe there is still an investigation going on regarding the incident" was annoying.

ole JR saying "i believe there is still an investigation going on regarding the incident" was annoying.

That bothered you?! God, I thought that was awesome. It was tongue-in-cheek as hell but I got a good chuckle out of it. I dunno. I just think wrestling is supposed to be fun. Everyone understands the concept of kayfabe nowadays, but the best angles are the ones that pull you in and make you think like it's real, even for just a second. I'd rather think "Man, I wonder what's gonna happen to HHH's job?!" than "Hmm, I wonder how the WWE Creative team is gonna mess this stupid, fake storyline up", even though, deep down, I obviously know it's fake.

Wrestling is WAY more fun if you just sit back and let it unfold, rather than constantly thinking like a cynic or a booker.

It's all suspension of disbelief. One of the things about wrestling that makes it a more entertaining medium than say, a sitcom or something is that even though you know it's fake, the lines are blurred. It's a unique medium, and I think it should be embraced as such.

Personally, I love it. Blurring the lines between fiction and non-fiction, that's what can keep pro wrestling fresh, interesting, and exciting. One of the biggest criticisms of the current product is that it is too predictable, that it is stale and it never truly surprises anyone anymore. One of the biggest reasons for this is the Internet, which reveals so much information in advance, and allows such detailed breakdown of everything before, during, and after action. Why not use aspects of the same Internet to throw a monkey wrench into such analysis? For every spoiler, every dirt sheet report, there should be a YouTube video, or a series of tweets, or whatever, to balance it all out.

What a concept, having to sit back and watch the show and let it develop as it all unfolds. I'm not really sure why anyone would have any problem with this.

Much of the "C.M. Punk Leaves WWE" storyline is predicated on the company's use of social media. We still don't know how much was the performer's true dissatisfaction with his employer and how much was completed fabricated. Punk is still conducting interviews with media outside WWE in which he explains why he was unhappy, why he quit, why he came back, etc.

Without social media, I think I would have figured the whole program was a work and that Punk had no negative feelings about WWE. With social media, I'm just not sure......and I like being not sure. It adds spice to the product and keeps us eternally guessing.

And yes, it keeps the controversies flowing on this forum, often with posters giving their opinions and calling everyone who disagrees with them obscene names.

The fun never ends.

I personally don't like storytelling outside of the events.
If Twitter and Facebook posts sparking feuds and being important start to make casually watching wrestling confusing, I'd start to feel alienated.

I don't want to have to watch 40+ wrestler's twitters just to know that CM Punk hates John Cena. As long as the Twitter wars don't take the place of promo or ringside storytelling, I'm fine with it being an avenue to further feuds without TV time being taken. I do think social media can have a huge negative impact on performers real lives as well. Like has been said in this topic already, Punk made a big deal during his "firing" (Nobody ever gets fired in wrestling). How much is truth or not, It makes him look like a cry baby as Phil Brooks the person.

On another hand, If I have to hear Michael Cole tell me about Twitter trends one more time....

I like it that WWE are using social media such as facebook or youtube. They have to keep up with the times and that is how they will be able to connect with fans these days. It is a good way to help get angles and wrestlers over because fans are able to interact with the wrestlers or learn more about their characters and storylines. Of course this all needs to remain within kayfabe. If someone posted something out of character then it may lead to a push ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back