WWE and NJPW Should Work Together

My Couch Pulls Out But I Don't

I am a WZ *****...GOD!
As everyone knows, NJPW is the home of one of the most talked about stables in pro wrestling, the Bullet Club.

Everyone also is aware that former leaders of the Bullet Club, Finn Balor and AJ Styles are in WWE. As well as former members Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson.

Am I the only one that thinks WWE and NJPW need to figure out a way to work together and make it seem as if Bullet Club is attempting to take over different promotions?

They could swap talent and have the NJPW members and WWE members show up at the other shows and everything.

How could this not make everyone involved a ton of money?

WWE doesn't really have much to gain from the arrangement, meanwhile WWE has global stars like Cena that NJPW can use and potentially (accidentally mind you, I would never assume any shenanigans) injure. There's not a lot of benefit for WWE. Plus, NJPW aren't exactly WWE's biggest fans right now.

I think the WWE and NJPW should work together. I also think the WWE should work together with TNA, ROH, GFW, Lucha Underground, and every Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment company in the World. The WWE should be today’s version of the NWA, but instead of being just “National”, they should be International. Why settle for being just number 1, when they can be numbers 1 through 10 or more.

The WWE is already treating all of these other organizations like college teams. Then they take their Stars and place most of them in their developmental team, like the A, or AA, or AAA leagues in baseball. Then, if they get passed developmental, the Stars get called up to the “majors”.

So my question to all of the companies, why not work with the WWE??

In the realm of Pro Wrestling nothing is impossible. I would absolutely love to see this unfold on such a grand scale. However, there are currently many problems that could possibly arise from this and just as many that will prevent it. One of the main ones is that NJPW are supposedly not big on WWE. I wouldn't know this as a fact, but there very well could be immense amounts of tension. Especially coming from the loss of Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura.

NJPW is almost possibly better off waiting around for a little longer as well instead of working WWE. Working with WWE on an invasion story like this can pan out badly. They may see it as something along the lines of handing over one of their most prized possessions. Bullet Club is also running throughout ROH, but I feel like the talent exchange benefits both of them on a not so lopsided scale.

WWE is in the position where they can gain and lose, but not nearly as much of a gamble as it would be for NJPW or a company like ROH.

NJPW could indeed be a competitor as well as ROH, but for the time being they are specified to a specified market. Where WWE at this point is solidified globally. The main problem with everything over all is that the contract would have to be in favor of NJPW and actually bring in things that are beneficial. Why would WWE risk Talent and go through all the trouble to help out ANY adversary when they are in the position where they don't have to.

In the realm of Pro Wrestling nothing is impossible. I would absolutely love to see this unfold on such a grand scale. However, there are currently many problems that could possibly arise from this and just as many that will prevent it. One of the main ones is that NJPW are supposedly not big on WWE. I wouldn't know this as a fact, but there very well could be immense amounts of tension. Especially coming from the loss of Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura.

New Japan and WWE had a working relationship back during the 80s, I'm not sure of the circumstances that led to it ending, but it did. A whole lot has changed in pro wrestling since then, obviously, and there are obstacles to overcome. I don't think New Japan would be adverse to working with WWE because that's only going to jack up the prominence of New Japan and possibly lead to a stronger audience presence here in the United States.

However, there are obstacles to overcome and one of those obstacles is the fact that there would be a [LOT[/B] of big egos involved. There will be a lot of "cooks in the fire", as the old saying goes, and it could lead to huge disagreements regarding how the storylines play out, who goes over in what matches, how they go over, etc. There'd have to be a good deal of give and take on both sides that can be volatile from the very beginning because, ultimately, the loyalties of all those involved are going to be with the companies who're ultimately paying them; WWE's bookers are going to be loyal to WWE and New Japan's will be loyal to New Japan, so even if it's just from a storyline perspective, someone would have to come out on the "losing" end of this program and I very, very, very much doubt that Vince McMahon is going to roll over for anyone.

Another potential problem is that, as has already been mentioned, WWE doesn't really have anything to gain out of such an arrangement. WWE shows in Japan draw big crowds, the tours are profitable, there are quite possibly as many WWE Network subscribers in Japan as there are for New Japan's own streaming service, New Japan Pro Wrestling World. last year, WWE's revenue was fairly close to the $700 million mark, more than at any other time in history, whereas New Japan's revenue is maybe around $30 to $35 million. To be quite honest, WWE doesn't need to work with New Japan or anyone else.

It'd be pretty cool to see of course, but I don't see how it'd make much financial sense for WWE and that's what it's really all about at the end of the day.

I could see this as a pretty profitable idea, I don't see any reason to make an nWo type storyline out of it, but they could easily do talent swapping and co-branded shows. WCW had a lot of success in the early to mid '90s working with NJPW. It also brought alot of talented workers to the mainstream American audience, like The Great Muta, Vader, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero and numerous others. While numerous WCW stars like wise had some great success in NJPW that didn't get over so well here at home, Scott Norton being the biggest that comes to mind.

Despite WWE being global their major markets are North America and Europe. So a working agreement wouldn't hurt WWE in anyway what so ever. It would allow them to further expand into the Asian market, with a somewhat under utilized roster at times, they could easily send undercarders and people who are just inactive over to Japan to work, while bringing the occasional New Japan star over.

The only issue that might come up is the difference in performance style. NJPW is a very physical based product and are known to work a much more stiffer almost shoot style matches, where as WWE is more spot based theatrical. Other than some of the younger guys on the roster who spent some time over there I'm not sure if very many on the WWE roster could work handle working with some of the NJ talent. Probably would surprise us though, supposedly Hulk Hogan always wrestled far better in Japan than he did in the States.

Everyone also is aware that former leaders of the Bullet Club, Finn Balor and AJ Styles are in WWE. As well as former members Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson.

I'm not trying to be a prick about it but giving Anderson his props. He was an actual leader of Bullet Club. He took over after Balor and later AJ was recognized as a co leader.

On topic of the partnership. Much has changed in the world of professional wrestling since the past successful partnerships. The main obstacles I see would be tv and ppvs. It would problematic keeping any cross promotion items current with one another on the global scale. The need for live tv is major.

WCW had a lot of success in the early to mid '90s working with NJPW. It also brought alot of talented workers to the mainstream American audience, like The Great Muta, Vader, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero and numerous others. While numerous WCW stars like wise had some great success in NJPW that didn't get over so well here at home, Scott Norton being the biggest that comes to mind.

I might be alone on this, but I'm old enough to remember the WCW/New Japan days, and I have to say that I never enjoyed it at all. For one thing, it always felt like they had to stop whatever angles they were building and do these off shows with little narrative momentum.

Also, even when it really worked, like with Muta, it always ended with some weird, anticlimactic conclusion borne out of the politics of the business and companies protecting their guys.

Could it be done better? Yea, theoretically. Would it be fun for fans? Absolutely, but also with diminishing returns. Like when Vince bought WCW. It was crazy awesome to see guys in the ring together that you'd never thought you'd see, but a year later, meh.

Honestly I think it would be better if New Japan could just establish more of a stateside presence and develop kind of a subtle behind the scenes understanding that guys are going to move around. Then you could have guys like AJ and Nakamura showing up like Jericho in 99. On the flipside, John Cena could fight becoming stale as shit if WWE sold some kind of a temporary license and he spent a year in New Japan. They could do that both ways and even share some merchandising rights when stars crossed over.

Sounds like a stupid idea.. Anyways, the Bullet Club is attempting to take over Ring of Honor.. They have a new member, Adam Cole... Leave the Bullet Club in NJPW and ROH, they don't exist in WWE.

I might be alone on this, but I'm old enough to remember the WCW/New Japan days, and I have to say that I never enjoyed it at all. For one thing, it always felt like they had to stop whatever angles they were building and do these off shows with little narrative momentum.

Also, even when it really worked, like with Muta, it always ended with some weird, anticlimactic conclusion borne out of the politics of the business and companies protecting their guys.

Could it be done better? Yea, theoretically. Would it be fun for fans? Absolutely, but also with diminishing returns. Like when Vince bought WCW. It was crazy awesome to see guys in the ring together that you'd never thought you'd see, but a year later, meh.

Honestly I think it would be better if New Japan could just establish more of a stateside presence and develop kind of a subtle behind the scenes understanding that guys are going to move around. Then you could have guys like AJ and Nakamura showing up like Jericho in 99. On the flipside, John Cena could fight becoming stale as shit if WWE sold some kind of a temporary license and he spent a year in New Japan. They could do that both ways and even share some merchandising rights when stars crossed over.

I was watching in those days and i agree WCW totally pulled...well a WCW with the NJPW guys that would get sent over, I recall somebody from that time period, I wanna say it was either Flair or Foley said alot of the guys on the WCW roster were nervous to work with guys out of Japan because they knew how to hurt you and alot of times they did, not on purpose they just worked a far stiffer and more spontaneous style match than most guys stateside were used to working. Which when you think about it is a shame it wasnt more successful because it worked really well a couple years later when WCW started working with AAA and brought in the luchadors. Not every idea can be a success.

I like the idea, but....

The problem with NJPW vs WWE is the talent in NJPW would have to be soured down. NJPW superstars don't have to tone down their move sets like they do in WWE. Unless WWE has talent that can go 100% out and perform to NJPW's ability in the ring then it is a recipe for disaster.

People like Orton, Cena, Reigns and a few others would be lost because of their very limited move sets. When most of NJPW blow up moves on the fly. Plus you have the problem of selling and also taking a bump. No one in WWE wants to lose (cough CENA cough cough) to a rival promotion. Super Cena will bury whoever cause Cena is a bitch. And then the whole thing is ruined.

WWE will need to be smart with their booking on who fights who. Cause that will weigh heavily when it comes to selling an actual rivalry.

IMO New Japan the past few years had the best roster in the world especially in regards to heavyweight, main event level singles guys. Nakamura and Anderson were big parts of that and AJ too was great. So the scales have been tipped with the loss of those three... And with the addition of many NXT guys like Owens, Neville, Zayn the rosters are certainly more evenly matched.

Of course I would love to see a crossover but I don't think WWE would allow it. Theyre the bigger company so they would be the one calling most of the shots. I think guys like Okada, Tanahashi and Nagata would thrive and put on excellent matches. However there are some talents like Shibata, Makabe, and especially Ishii who are just too brutal in their style for WWE to allow IMO. There's also Yano, his style is just too bizarre and doesn't really fit however he and AJ put on a ridiculously good match, a real "Styles Clash"!

ROH and New Japan already have a talent exchange and it's working great. There is no need for WWE and it's shitty booking to bring it down. It's not happening, now or EVER!!!!!

These WWE fanboys and their bright ideas. smh....

If I were a promoter with a global reach like the WWE has, I'd look into working agreements with other promoters around the globe. You get to share talent which means if your guy is getting over in Japan chances are that audience is going to look into your product and see what else you to offer, same with their guy. Japan sends somebody to the states and you like what hes doing, youre going to look him up and see what hes done in the past. Its also a good way to build up regional stars in countries that you may only visit once or twice a year. One of your top guys can't work a tour for some reason, it's OK because you've got 3 or 4 guys that have been working in that country for 6 months and gotten over with the fans.

There's always the possibility of backfiring though, usually the international promoters wind up getting screwed over in the deal because of ego of American based wrestlers. As far as show wise goes, NJPW always seemed to bring the best out in workers. Back in the day guys like Vader, Scott Norton, and even Hulk Hogan always performed better in Japan. Hulk wasn't saddled with the stigma of having to be Hulk Hogan so he could actually go out there and wrestle, and giants like Vader and Norton could literally go out there and fight because those Japanese guys are fearless.

ROH and New Japan already have a talent exchange and it's working great. There is no need for WWE and it's shitty booking to bring it down. It's not happening, now or EVER!!!!!

These WWE fanboys and their bright ideas. smh....

I appreciate your expert analysis of the topic. However, I must disagree with your assessment of me as a "WWE Fanboy". I do watch WWE regularly (with much disappointment at times) but I also watch other promotions as well.

As far as the OP, I guess I should clarify what I mean when I said "take over different promotions". I wasn't saying try and pull a "nWo" style take over. I also implied a talent exchange that I think a lot of people may have thought that I meant any superstar could be exchanged.

When I said "take over other promotions" I am thinking having the Bullet Club members vying for major titles, going against authority, basically just running roughshod over whoever gets in the way. I definitely don't want to see a nWo 2.0, for lack of better terms, where all of a sudden there are 30 guys walking out with Bullet Club shirts on.

Imagine having a small stable in NJPW, ROH, and WWE of Bullet Club members that are able to cross over (this is what I meant by the talent exchange part) to each of the other promotions and help out their fellow Club members.

Imagine watching NJPW and you see a Club member or members getting taken out and then through the crowd help comes in the form of AJ Styles, or Karl Anderson.

Imagine watching WWE Raw and seeing The Elite run out for a save.

This kind of cross promotion, just with the members of the Bullet Club could spark an interest that could catch fire and create all kinds of opportunities for every wrestler and promotion.

Doing the cross overs with just the Club members would prevent too many talent crossovers that would become a booking nightmare with every promotion arguing on why their particular star should win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back