Wrestlemania XXX Tournament: Why Not?

bioshock

Getting Noticed By Management
I haven't seen much of this idea, and I haven't even thought of it my self for this coming Wrestlemania 30.

Right now there is no two ways about it. WWE wants one main event, the fans want another, and I'm sure WWE knows if they book the wrong match it could cause a big failure come title match when the fans aren't interested.

WWE has teased that the WWE championship could be stripped from Randy Orton, countless times from Stephanie and HHH its been teased, though I don't think anyone put some thought into it. So lets say what ever happens at the Chamber happens, and the belt is either retained by no one due to a "draw", or retained by Orton then stripped (say he cheats..). Not details needed there.

Right now the wrestlers in question for the main event are: Orton, Cena, Batista, Bryan, Lesnar, Punk, Reigns, and if need be you could get a few others in like Sheamus, Ziggler, Big E, Big Show and so on if you wish.

Right now people are crying to have a 3 way or a 4 way which are either Orton v Batista v Bryan, or Orton v Batista v Bryan v Lesnar. Those lead the way. My problem is we have seen the 3 way title matches are Wrestlemania too many times, most times they aren't very good. And guess what, of those 2 matches listed above, I doubt they contend for any match of the year awards.

The tournament for the title hasn't been done in quite a while, and its usually been considered a success and historic no matter what you think. We still look back on Randy Savages WM4 win, and the Rocks win over Mankind from the Deadly Game at Survivor Series.

So why not, either 8 guys, 14 guys with a Batista vs Orton 2nd round bye, or a full on 16 man tournament.

Still with all those possible matches added to the card, we could get at least one good long 20 minute match, maybe a few quick ones. Hell it wasn't but a few years ago and we seen the 18 second WHC match. So short matches aren't out of the question. And oh the drama of the possible matches we could see.

It could be possible to have a Bryan vs Ziggler 2nd round match per say, and allow them to team the building down where as right no those guys would have no chance of hooking up because neither are feuding with each other. Or we could have a wild card match no one seen coming like Lesnar vs Sheamus (example). I think the options are endless, and we still get the big matches, the quality matches, its win win for everyone.

Your opinion? And I know the fact of Batista winning the Rumble and having the main event spot kind of throws a wrinkle into the idea, but its not like we haven't seen Foley cash in his main event spot a week before Wrestlemania 16 before, only to have the main event totally changed.

I am typically a major fan of one night tournaments but for whatever reason the idea of one going down at WM XXX spikes zero interest from my personal standpoint. There is always so much going on at WM that it would seriously take away from tournament. That’s the thing about one night tournaments they need the appropriate amount of time to be successful. It also seems as if every tournament has those dumb ass throw away matches leading to a villain getting a free pass in the bracket.

Who would you include and how would you set the line up? Maybe I am just having a hard time visualizing how the pieces would fit together. I’m trying to picture a situation where talents will be protected, each match is given appropriate time and we get a high quality event.

I would be open to a situation like WM X where the title was defended twice in one night.

There is way too much talent on the roster and not enough time on the show for this. It's a shame because it would have been pretty cool (especially to unify the belts) I'd have loved to have seen something like: Cena, Orton, Punk, Bryan, Batista, Sheamus, Jericho and Del Rio. Still Taker, Lesnar, The Shield, HHH and Bray to fill the rest of the card.

4 initial matches; 2 high profile semi-finals before a classic main-event for the title. The problem is that with 7 matches dedicated to this tournament some of the matches have to be cut short. Furthermore, a lot of talent won't feature on the show. You would have to have either several really short, poor matches or indeed the majority of the roster not featuring.

Honestly, I would have been on board for a Title Unification tournament but with only four men. Pick pretty much any four of the top 10 guys and it would be awesome. They could go: Cena, Orton, Batista, Lesnar. Even Punk or Bryan could feature and make it something to remember this Mania by. I've really enjoyed what they have done with Orton and his WWE WHC run but I would have enjoyed a mini-tournament to crown the Champion of Champions.

The tournament at WrestleMania IV was awful. All the matches had to be rushed in order to fit them all into one night. So there's no reason to do this again as they should have learned from this mistake. If the title were to be vacated for some reason, only the semifinals and final match should take place at 'Mania. Seeing the same guy wrestle 3 or 4 times in 1 night like Savage did in '88 is just too much.

I would however like to see the title vacated again before the Royal Rumble in the near future. The '92 Rumble still remains the best booked Rumble of all-time in large part to the fact that it was for more than just a title shot, but the actual title itself.

speaking of tourney's a while back ... in my head I was thinking WWE should have brought back King of The Ring, and had the semi finals & Finals happen at Mania

have seen this on here a few times, 4 or 8 man tourney for Mania 30. I dont like it, as guys having 2 or 3 or 4 matches are taking up spots on the card for other top level talent. If the show was to be run ning 5 hours like Mania 20, maybe, but I really think WWE will get the ard close to right by Mania 30. I just think this card and this night is far too important for a tournament that could end up being tiresome to watch.

The tournament at WrestleMania IV was awful. All the matches had to be rushed in order to fit them all into one night.

We've seen this happen in a few one night tournaments. The first KoTR had Tatanka/Luger Draw, I think it was the third edition had HBK/Kama Draw & Survivor Series: Deadly Game had The Rock pin Bossman in 4 secs &
X-Pac/Regal Double Count-Out.

I like one night tournaments, but at most it should have 8 guys and it needs more or less the entire PPV for the matches to be given enough time.

since tourney's do occupy so much of the card depending on how many participants are in it

wouldn't having just a semi Finals and Finals (3 matches) be more logical? At least I think that's how the King of The Ring PPV used to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back