• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 25: How would you have booked it?

cmedge

The Abdi
This Wrestlemania was the quarter century of Wrestlemania history. I thought this Wrestlemania was horrendous and here's why; the main event the forgotten Triple H (c) vs Randy Orton Wrestlemania match, the 8 minute singing performance, lack of build up and the comedy Wrestlemania World Heavyweight title match...

"The Game" Triple H defending his WWE Title against "The Royal Rumble winner" Randy Orton. This match sounds pretty good on paper but it was a horrible match. The feud itself was very good and intense but one thing that annoyed me was that everybody forgot it was for the WWE Title. The title had no importance in the match and feud. It was personal and intense I'll give that to the feud but so many other superstars could have faced of for the WWE Title.

Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy could have been for the WWE Title. I know this sounds bad on paper but here's why it could've been better.

Matt Hardy attacked Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble and caused him the WWE Title. Matt Hardy runs his mouth and Jeff Hardy doesn't want to fight him because their brothers. Jeff Hardy wins back the title at No Way Out. Then the feud starts exactly how it did except Jeff Hardy is the champion and he incorporates into the feud that Matt Hardy hasn't ever won a world title and this motivates Matt Hardy to beat Jeff Hardy in the already personal feud. That easily could've been better then the crap with HHH and RKO.

The 8 minute performance already speaks for itself.... Annoying way to kill time and we could've had The Colons vs. The Miz and Morrison which would've been a good tag team match but no................

The lack of buildup for the damn Wrestlemania. 25 years is a damn milestone and it certainly wasn't built up as it should've been honestly I remember during that year Backlash or whatever the paperview after Mania was much better than Wrestlemania which is quite sad. Wrestlemania is supposed to be the Superbowl of the NFL. Horrendous buildup and presentation. The joke of the World Heavyweight Championship match that we recieved.... Big Slow vs. John Cena vs. Edge (c) for the World Heavyweight Championship the match even looks like a joke on paper. I remember the Edge vs John Cena match at the next PPV was much better than the crap we recieved at Mania. Why was Big Show in a World Title match at Mania as much as I love the big man. The feud was over Vicki Guerrero's love for crying out loud which John Cena didn't even want so it was obvious that he'd take the World title and pass it back to Edge at the next PPV. What a joke I'll tell you what I think should've happened...

John Cena vs Big Show in a singles match and as a rematch from Wrestlemania 25 and Edge vs a returning Christian in 2009 that would've been much better than the crap we recieved. Here's what the back story could have been for Edge vs Christian. Edge beat Jeff Hardy at the Royal Rumble and Christian comes out and attacks Edge after he wins. Edge tries to befriend Christian and he gets set straight by Christian telling him that he is talented but he decides to cheat and cry and that he uses Vicky and that he doesn't need to. A personal brotherly match that we all wanted to see for the World Title at any point it could've happened at Mania 25 the big Christian return could've been something huge if Vince didn't get so angry at Christian and Christian didn't even do anything wrong his contract was over and he didn't want to resign thats his choice but anyways that could've been better than what we saw. John Cena and Big Show could've been somewhat decent because John Cena is one of Big Show's best enemies and the match would've been decent. Here's how I would have booked Wrestlemania 25 BIG MANIA PROMO, Money in the bank ladder match, Unified tag titles match, Chris Jericho legends match, Rey Mysterio IC Title Match, John Cena vs The Big Show, Jeff Hardy vs. Matt Hardy WWE Title Match, Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton vs Triple H and the main event being Edge vs. Christian.

This is merely my opinion on how the paperview could've have been better booked so I'd like it if you didn't diminish the importance of my opinion and I'd like to hear your opinions too. Just a reminder I'm sure I'll be asked but what about Christian being on ECW who could have taken his place I honestly think anybody could have Kane, Shelton Benjamin (turned face) and honestly anybody could have been the face of ECW. But thats just my opinion.

I think with the Randy match, it was one of the rarer examples where the heel should have won. I'm always of the opinion that when you set about a strong/dominant heel (as Randy was at the time via his mindgames/I.E.D.) and the feud is BEGINNING at WrestleMania, the heel needs to go over in order to cement their place in the feud. Randy's psychological dominance was simply overturned in the first match like it was nothing. This is similar to the Cena/Batista match a year later. They built up the fact that Cena couldn't beat Batista, but in his first real match with him in a long time, Cena prevailed by submission (the unstoppable Animal quits?).

I don't think too much could have changed about the Hardys' match to be honest. They did the best with what was available. Personally I would have preferred a story where Christian was behind everything, but nonetheless that match was alright. The World Hevyweight Championship match was a waste, and this has continued the trend of lackluster Triple Threat matches at Mania (since WMXX), such as HHH vs Cena vs Orton and WMXXIV and Angle vs Mysterio vs Orton at WM23. I'm of the opinion that the title matches should never be more than a one-on-one at Mania, and this backs up that point.

I'd keep the Punk MITB win, have Cena v Edge for the WHC, Hardy v Hardy as it was, Taker v Shawn I, Trips v Orton (with the opposite result), set up the Jericho vs Mysterio feud that came late in the year with a clash between them, and replace the Divas battle royal with a match involving Beth, Melina, Mickie and McCool.

Without a doubt 25 was one of, if not the most disappointing WrestleMania ever. BUT it shouldn't have been. Outside of HBK v Taker there wasn't anything good, and obviously that match was a classic but did anyone really think Taker was going to lose? That's why I wouldn't have booked this match. More on this point later.

The card that happened could have been saved if the Main Event was booked correctly. Here it is:

First off, it should have been a No DQ match instead of the ridiculous stipulation that HHH would lose the belt if he was DQ'd. That stipulation hamstrung the entire match. After the built up that match needed to be brutal. It should have been a very brutal match and then at the end Legacy should have interfered...then Vince and Shane should have came out and cleared them out.

Then at the end they should have set Randy up for Vince to give him the "punt". As Vince ran up Shane should have smoked him with the sledgehammer. HHH would have been shocked...he would then have turned into an RKO for the 1 2 3. Shane joins Legacy.....this would have made SO MUCH SENSE and been perfect. Shane left WWE a few months later anyways. He could have been "put out" off WWE by HHH in the following months via some good matches and he would have put over Legacy in the process. Legacy always missed that one piece to really get it over and Shane would have been it.

Now My card for WM 25.

WWE Championship: The Undertaker (c) vs John Cena.
Cena came back after injury and beat Jericho for the WHC on his return. So stupid. This showed how WWE had no real plan for Mania that year, which led to it being crap. He should have came back and been on a mission to WIN his WWE championship. He should have won the Rumble and then chose to face Taker for the belt. (obviously Taker would have won the strap prior to Mania). I don't like Cena but this would have been smart. Cena vs Taker would have been so intense cuz Cena is probably the only guy who they might have end the streak. Cena should have done everything possible to win, even cheat a little bit, only to come up short in the end. Even though he would have lost the crowd would have been so tense thinking he could win. We may never see this match at Mania which is a shame. Should have happened at 25.

WHC: Edge (c) vs HBK: Instant classic. Who cares who wins though HBK should have gone over in Texas. Imagine the pop?

NO DQ: HHH vs Orton. Same result as above

Chris Jericho vs Flair's Mystery opponent. Could have had same built but Flair promises an opponent for Jericho only to bring out BATISTA. He returned like the next night or some shit so he could have gona at Mania. A surprise return for Batista would have blown the roof of the place.

Everything else could have stayed the same for all I care. These changes would have made that probably the best Mania since 17.

for me i think the card should of been

WWE Title Street fight rules
Triple H vs Randy Orton

like someone above said this match should of been brutal instead of the crap we got, and I think their should of been some blood as well to add to the drama of the match.

Streak Match
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels

this match was perfect so wouldnt change it this match saved the PPV

World Title T.L.C Match
Edge vs Jeff Hardy vs Matt Hardy vs Christan

the match everyone wanted to see and it could of stole the show because you just wouldnt know who was going to win

Legend vs Icon Match
Ricky Steamboat vs Chris Jericho

the dragon could still go at this time just look at his match with jericho at Backlash the following month this match should of happened

Career Match
JBL vs John Cena

this was JBL's last match anyway should of had more build and JBL/Cena did put on some great matched in the past

IC Title
Rey Mysterio vs MVP

with their styles they could of put on a classic instead of mis using them like they did in the PPV

Money in The Bank
CM Punk vs Shelton Benjamin vs Kofi Kingston vs Miz vs John Morrison vs Mark Henry vs Jack Swagger

speaks for it self

Tag Titles
Kane & Big Show vs Carlito & Primo

would of been a gud match

My Wrestlemania 25 card would have been:

Street Fight for the WWE
Championship: Triple H Vs Randy Orton
World Heavyweight Championship: John Cena Vs Edge
Legacy Vs Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon
Extreme Rules: Matt Hardy Vs Jeff Hardy
Streak Match: Shawn Michaels Vs The Undertaker
Chris Jericho Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin
Unified Tag Championships: John Morrison and The Miz
Vs The Colons
Intercontential Championship: JBL Vs Rey Mysterio
Money In The Bank: CM Punk Vs Shelton Benjiamin Vs Christian Vs Kane Vs Big Show Vs Evan Bourne Vs Kofi Kingston

This would have been a great Wrestlemania. Triple H Vs Orton could have been a great hardcore street fight with interference from Legacy and The McMahons ( who would have versed inna grudge match earlier in the night). John Cena Vs Edge would have been a classic. Keep the Streak match and The Hardys match the same. Make JBL and Mysterio's match last about 5-10 minutes which could have been a good match. Have Jericho beat up the legends until we have the head of the hall of fame 2009 Stone Cold challenge him to a match (Jericho could have still versed Steamboat at
Backlash) and make the Money In The Bank more exciting. It could have been one of the best Manias ever.

Beth vs Chyna -Divas tital

Edge and Jeff Hardy vs Christian and Matt Hardy -(TLC) for the Tag Titiles

Shelton Benjamin vs Jack Swager - IC Title

CM Punk, Mark Henry, Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, Kane, Carlito, MVP, and Rey Mysterio -(HITC Armgn.) winner gets title shot

Undertaker vs HBK-left alone

John Cena vs Y2J vs Big Show -World. Title

HHH vs orton -(I quit match) WWE Title

or team Kane vs team Henry instead of the HITC
kane, punk, rey, and kofi vs henry, miz, morrison, and MVP

My Wrestlemania 25 card would have been:

Street Fight for the WWE
Championship: Triple H Vs Randy Orton
World Heavyweight Championship: John Cena Vs Edge
Legacy Vs Shane McMahon and Vince McMahon
Extreme Rules: Matt Hardy Vs Jeff Hardy
Streak Match: Shawn Michaels Vs The Undertaker
Chris Jericho Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin
Unified Tag Championships: John Morrison and The Miz
Vs The Colons
Intercontential Championship: JBL Vs Rey Mysterio
Money In The Bank: CM Punk Vs Shelton Benjiamin Vs Christian Vs Kane Vs Big Show Vs Evan Bourne Vs Kofi Kingston

This would have been a great Wrestlemania. Triple H Vs Orton could have been a great hardcore street fight with interference from Legacy and The McMahons ( who would have versed inna grudge match earlier in the night). John Cena Vs Edge would have been a classic. Keep the Streak match and The Hardys match the same. Make JBL and Mysterio's match last about 5-10 minutes which could have been a good match. Have Jericho beat up the legends until we have the head of the hall of fame 2009 Stone Cold challenge him to a match (Jericho could have still versed Steamboat at
Backlash) and make the Money In The Bank more exciting. It could have been one of the best Manias ever.

too many issues here with stone cold having his injury woes, and both main event matches being played over too many times, as was wrestlemania 25 itself. Perhaps a more gruesome match should have been used in wwe title, such as a hell in a cell match, and some other form of stipulation for the heavyweight title not seen in the cena/edge feud previously. I quite like the idea of the mcmahons vs legacy, seeing legacy go over to put them better over as heels.

WrestleMania 25

World Heavyweight Championship (Triple-Threat Match)

Batista (c) vs Randy Orton vs John Cena

How I would have booked it would be that I wouldn't have never had Batista get injured and he comes into this match as the World Heavyweight Champion winning the title at No Way Out 2009, with Orton winning the Rumble makes his WrestleMania decision and chooses to face Batista because back at Armageddon he should have ended Batista and he thought he did but Batista comes back only to become champion but that at Mania Orton says he is going to end Batista once and for all by not only taking the World Heavyweight Championship but also punting Batista this time out of the WWE and this time it will be for good only for John Cena to strong-arm his way into this match to make it a Triple-Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship. Orton goes over in this match to become the new World Heavyweight Champion

WWE Championship (Streak Match) (16-1 or 17-0)

Undertaker vs. Triple H (c)

How I would book this match would be that I would still have Triple H come in as WWE Champion but that Undertaker somehow becomes #1 Contender for the WWE Championship at Mania 25 with it having similar build-up to HHH/Taker WrestleMania 27 but 2 years earlier but with the WWE Title on the line to up the ante

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels (Hell In A Cell)

Perfect way for them to end their rivalry once and for all, because I would have continued it coming into 2009 with them going back and forth with each other until they decide that it all needs to end, and what better way to end it than having it end at Mania inside Hell In a Cell, HBK would go over in this match to end this rivalry

Money In the Bank

Edge vs CM Punk vs Christian vs Shelton Benjamin vs MVP vs Mr. Kennedy vs Kane vs Big Show vs Kofi Kingston

I would have had Punk win this regardless but instead I had Edge replace Finlay in this match, and Punk just needed the victory here if you ask me but I would have had Kennedy come close to winning as well as Edge too by having La Familia try to help him but all the other participants stop that from happening, and I would have had Big Show replace Mark Henry in this MITB Ladder Match

ECW Championship

Jack Swagger (c) vs Finlay

If anything the ECW Championship needed to be defended at Mania, I mean the ECW Title was a World Title and what better way for Swagger to make his debut than against Finlay with them putting on a good match but with Swagger going over retaining his ECW Championship

WWE Intercontinental Championship

Rey Mysterio vs JBL (c)

I wouldn't change anything about this match-up at all, Rey still wins and goes over

Extreme Rules Match

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy

Still the same match but the only thing that I would change about it would be that I would have had this match go a little bit longer but with Jeff getting the win here

Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal

Still the same match but I would have had Beth win the battle royal or at least have Michelle McCool win it or even Melina for that matter

After reading some of these posts, it's time I put my two cents out there on this.

wm25.jpg

John Cena vs The Undertaker

- Somebody on here said it best. Cena came back from an injury and beat Jericho for the World Heavyweight Championship. Jericho was just coming off a feud with HBK if I'm not mistaken. Cena should've come out the night after he lost the World Title at No Way Out and challenge The Undertaker...*GONG* out comes Undertaker and the match everybody wants is on.

As far as I'm concerned, Cena should've faced Taker at WrestleMania 23. If there was ever a time for that match to take place, that would've been the PERFECT time.

God only knows why Cena was involved in that Love Triangle storyline with Edge, Show, and Vickie.

Cena vs Taker at the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania? That screams money, buys, and history in the making. The match quality wouldn't have been as good as HBK/Taker, but I feel like Cena/Taker could've had a better build.

WWE Championship Match
Triple H (c) vs Randy Orton

- I wouldn't change a thing about this feud. It was so well done and felt so personal. Orton taking out The McMahons and then leaving an angry Triple H to face Orton. The mic work between Orton and Triple H, and even Orton and Stephanie was so great.

The match probably shoulda been No DQ or something, because the animosity between these two that was built up in this feud so well that a plain old match couldn't have settled it. It should've been at least a Street Fight or something.

World Heavyweight Championship Match
Edge (c) vs Big Show

- I still for the life of me wonder why John Cena was involved in this match. He played the role of showing the backstage goings on between Vickie and Big Show which could've easily been done another way. Or they could've gone the route of HHH/Angle/Stephanie: have Show be too buddy buddy around Vickie, Edge gets suspicious and the rest pretty much writes itself.

Big Show walks in as the face and Edge as The Champion and Vickie gets involved somehow. This was just a cheap way to employ Cena into the World Title Match.

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels

- These two came off a great feud in 2008, but I feel like there was more to be said in that feud. Their last match was at No Mercy, (I think) which Jericho won and then HBK went off on some *ughhh* feud with JBL. I feel like HBK should've taken an absence after he lost to Jericho at No Mercy, then he comes back at The Rumble and costs Jericho the World Title restarting their feud for WrestleMania.

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy

- This feud was done well. No complaints here. The only thing I would change is that I'd have Jeff Hardy win. :)

Money in the Bank Ladder Match
CM Punk vs Kane vs Mark Henry vs MVP vs Shelton Benjamin vs Kofi Kingston vs Christian vs Finlay

- Meh, everything here stays the same.

Unified Tag Team Championship
The Colons (c) vs The Miz & John Morrison (c)

- This match would've been on the card and the opener. I still find it disgusting that a match that UNIFIED the Tag Team Championship was bumped for a lackluster Kid Rock Concert. I still think Vince could've found enough time to fit in this match and have Kid Rock do his concert.

- The match itself was pretty damn good. This would've made the card without question.

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Rey Mysterio (c) vs JBL

- I would've had this match go a little longer. That's pretty much it and Rey still gets the win.

Divas Battle Royal for the Divas Championship

- Instead of that God awful Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal where Santino, in DRAG, won, I'd have all the Divas put in the ring and have them get it on for the Divas Championship. Every Diva gets some time and I'd have Beth get the win.

This card looks a lot better than the.....well I don't even know what that was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back