Wrestlemania 18: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This is the 18th of 29 topics looking back on previous Wrestlemania events. Every couple of days I have been submitting a new one and will continue until all of the past Wrestlemania events have been discussed, leading up to the big day in April where Wrestlemania 30 will take place.

This thread will be for discussing.... Wrestlemania 18!

WrestleManiaX8.jpg

Wrestlemania 18 took place on March 17, 2002 at the SkyDome in Toronto, Ontario. There were 68,237 fans who attended. Here are the results of the show:

0. Rikishi, Scotty 2 Hotty, and Albert defeated Mr. Perfect, Lance Storm and, Test in a six-man tag team match with Jacqueline as the special guest referee as part of Heat (03:06)

1. Rob Van Dam defeated William Regal (c) in a singles match to win the WWF Intercontinental Championship (06:19)

2. Diamond Dallas Page (c) defeated Christian in a singles match for the WWF European Championship (06:08)

3. Maven (c) fought Goldust to a no contest in a hardcore match for the WWF Hardcore Championship (03:15)

4. Kurt Angle defeated Kane in a singles match (10:45)

5. The Undertaker defeated Ric Flair in a No Holds Barred match (18:47)

6. Edge defeated Booker T in a singles match (06:32)

7. Stone Cold Steve Austin defeated Scott Hall (with Kevin Nash) in a singles match (09:51)

8. Billy and Chuck (c) defeated The APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw), The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von) (with Stacy Keibler) and The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff Hardy) in a Four Corners Elimination match for the WWF Tag Team Championship (13:50)

9. The Rock defeated Hollywood Hulk Hogan in a singles match (16:23)

10. Jazz (c) defeated Trish Stratus and Lita in a triple Threat match to retain the WWF Women's Championship (06:16)

11. Triple H defeated Chris Jericho (c) (with Stephanie McMahon) in a singles match to win the Undisputed WWF Championship (18:41)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning the event:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

If you could change a few things about Wrestlemania 18, what would it be and why?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in March 2002. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Wrestlemania 18 in this thread. The remaining Wrestlemania events will be getting their own retrospective threads shortly, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

This was a pretty good WrestleMania but it easily could have been so much better. I'll be brief with my favorite and least favorite matches because I have a lot of changes in mind. My favorite was Hogan vs. Rock. The crowd made this an epic match and Hogan's return to mania was a special moment. My least favorite was the hardcore nonsense. I just didn't care for these kinds of matches. I rarely found them funny and they usually involved guys that didn't matter.

Now the changes. Here's my card

Steve Austin (c) vs. Triple H - WWF Title Match

Much better main event than what we got. HHH vs. Jericho was ok but HHH vs. Austin is more of a mania main event. Austin could have won the undisputed title instead of Jericho or beat Jericho for it at No Way Out. They were partners in the Two Man Power Trip the year before when HHH got injured so that could have played a part in the story.

The Rock vs. Hollywood Hogan

Perfect as it was. There's no reason to change anything here.

Undertaker vs. Ric Flair

Also perfect as it was. Great match.

Edge vs. Kurt Angle

The Toronto native against the phony American heel. They started a feud immediately after mania so I say move it up and put them against each other at mania. It would have been a great match for mania.

Rob Van Dam vs. Chris Jericho (c) - IC Title Match

These two match up pretty well. Seems like a good IC title match for mania to me.

Big Show + Booker T + Dallas Page vs. Kevin Nash + Scott Hall + X Pac

Three former WCW stars that know better than anyone what the nwo is capable of. WCW had to go under for them to escape the nwo so now they're going to try to stop the takeover before the ruin the WWF.

Trish Stratus vs. Jazz (c) - Women's Title Match

No need for Lita here. Let Trish win the title in her home town.

Billy & Chuck (c) vs. APA vs. Hardy Boys vs. Dudley Boys - Tag Title Match

Leave it as it was. Not crazy about it but no better options.

Goldust vs. William Regal

Just because I think it would have been funny.

Kane vs. Mr. Perfect

I don't mind Kane being left off the card but that wasn't going to happen. This doesn't excite me much at all but Kane can be sacrificed for the rest of my card to work. Christian can just take Perfect's spot in the dark match.

1) Rob Van Dam (c) vs. Eddie Guerrero for the WWF Intercontinental Title

Have RVD win the IC Title at No Way Out, and move Eddie's return to the night after No Way Out so he can challenge Rob for the IC Title at Wrestlemania. Regal vs RVD was a good opener, but Eddie vs RVD would've been much more exciting.

2) Diamond Dallas Page vs. Booker T

For some WCW nostalgia. And as lame as the build up was, I'd still use the shampoo commercial angle to set up this match between Page and Booker.

3) Christian (c) vs. William Regal for the WWF European Title

Christian was the hometown boy and he got a nice reaction from the crowd, he didn't deserve what he got against Page. I'd have Christian come into Mania as a babyface and have a nice match with Regal for the European Title instead.

4) Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show

I was originally gonna go with Kane vs. Big Show because of Kane's elimination of Show in the Royal Rumble match, but then I had this interesting thought of Lesnar arriving before Wrestlemania (also the night after No Way Out) and having his debut match against The Big Show on the grand stage. Not only would it have been an awesome debut match for Brock, but Lesnar would get his first big Wrestlemania moment in his debut, dominating the big man and picking him up for the F5. Just imagine Toronto's reaction at the sight of Big Show being lifted up with ease by the new kid on the block. I know this happened at Survivor Series and they could have this match again when Lesnar is WWE Champion and he becomes an estabilished name, but in his debut match it would have been more impressive and more shocking to everyone watching.

5) Kurt Angle vs. Mr Perfect

Seriously, how did the WWF miss out on this one? These two would've delivered a classic and it couldn't have come at a better time. Like The Brain once said, this seemed like such a natural matchup. I'm not sure why the WWF never booked this but if the problem was both guys being heel, they could have just easily kept Mr. Perfect as a babyface for this match. He got a big pop at the Royal Rumble, was one of the final four along with Angle, and he looked great. It's a shame WWE never did anything with Perfect after that performance and he ended being put on the pre-show. Such a waste of a great talent.

6) Ric Flair vs. Vince McMahon in a Street Fight Match

Move their match from the Royal Rumble up to Wrestlemania.

7) Edge vs. Chris Jericho

I remember these two being scheduled for a match at Vengeance but sadly we didn't get to see it cause Edge injured himself in his Steel Cage match against Angle. I really wanted to see that match, it would have been quality, and this would've been perfect for Wrestlemania as Jericho shouldn't have been anywhere near the main event at Mania X8. I'd have Jericho in his entrance do what Christian did during his entrance and announce that he moved out of Canada to Tampa, Florida, so he could draw heat from the crowd and have them hate him and root for only Edge in the match.

8) The Brothers Of Destruction vs. The Outsiders

Have the WWF's longest & most faithful employee and locker room leader, The Undertaker, team up with his brother, Kane, to take on the guys invading his company, The Outsiders. And instead of turning Taker heel after Survivor Series, have Taker turn heel after Wrestlemania by attacking Hogan after his face turn. His reason for the heel turn could be that he's disgusted with the fans for now cheering and supporting Hogan after he turned his back on the WWE for WCW. That would be the first step in building up Taker vs. Hogan for Judgement Day.

9) Billy and Chuck (c) vs. APA vs. The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz in a Four Corners Elimination Match for the WWF Tag Team Titles

10) The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan

As much as everybody wants Hogan vs. Austin, let's be realistic about it, Austin didn't wanna work with Hogan for whatever reason, so there's no changing that. Everybody should be satisfied that we at least got the next best thing in Rock vs. Hogan.

11) Jazz (c) vs. Trish Stratus vs. Lita for the WWF Womens Title

12) Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) vs. Triple H for the WWF Undisputed Title

Austin didn't wanna work with Hogan and he clearly looked like he didn't even wanna be at Mania in his match against Hall, so I'm sure Stone Cold would've been satisfied with facing and putting over Triple H instead. They had unfinished business from the previous year, Austin blamed Triple H for costing them the Tag Team belts, and WWE seemed to be teasing a match between the two with their interaction on Raw, the week after Triple H made his return, and in the Royal Rumble match. Austin vs. Triple H would've made a better revenge/comeback story for The Game.

I have 12 matches on my card, so to make time on the PPV, I'd get rid of Saliva's live performance of "Superstar", and I wouldn't have DDP/Booker and Brock/Show go on long. Those are matches that if dragged on for too long, would likely end up sucking, so give them only 3 - 5 minutes. And there's no need for Maven vs. Goldust, that match was pointless. You could have that whole 24/7 nonsense that went on backstage all night just start out with Goldust attacking Maven and pinning him for the belt in some backstage segment instead. Maven can win it back off Goldust or Mighty Molly in the end.

5) Kurt Angle vs. Mr Perfect

Seriously, how did the WWF miss out on this one? These two would've delivered a classic and it couldn't have come at a better time. Like The Brain once said, this seemed like such a natural matchup. I'm not sure why the WWF never booked this but if the problem was both guys being heel, they could have just easily kept Mr. Perfect as a babyface for this match. He got a big pop at the Royal Rumble, was one of the final four along with Angle, and he looked great. It's a shame WWE never did anything with Perfect after that performance and he ended being put on the pre-show. Such a waste of a great talent.

Even though I mentioned Angle vs. Edge in my post I remember really wanting this match for mania after seeing Perfect return at the Rumble. Unfortunately it didn't take long to see WWF just didn't have any real plans for Perfect. Within a couple weeks I had given up on this idea and hoped for Edge instead. If they took Perfect more seriously in his return this would have been a great feud. Either Perfect or Edge would have been better than Kane. No disrespect to Kane, their match was ok but I think Edge and Perfect match up much better for Angle at mania.

The Brain beat me to it! WM18 was good not great but good.. A couple of missed opportunities here would have made it much better..

I personally would have eliminated Jazz from the match,have Lita beat her at No Way Out,and have Trish and Lita battle It out at WM18 with Trish going over.. It should have been that way IMO! Nothing against Jazz,but really she was never that good to begin with.

I like the idea of Edge vs Angle. The Toronto Hometown boy vs Our Olympic Champion Kurt Angle.. It would have been a much much better match IMO!

SCSA vs Trips one on one should have happened.. They were tag team partners in early 01 to mid until Trips got hurt... Had that not happened,they were going to turn on one another and setting up a one on one match would have been awesome.. You could have easily had Triple H beat Jericho at No way out and setting up a main event,wm match with SCSA!

So my changes are

Trish vs Lita for the Womens Title with Trish going Over in her hometown.. That should have kicked off WM18 IMO

RVD(c)Vs Jericho. Its a shame these two never really had a match or a feud together. Correct me If Im wrong of course,i honestly dont remember these two having a feud. Both had awesome styles,and a feel for the ring like no other. I would have had RVD go over in this match.. It would have been a classic.

I would have had Maven and Goldust in the pre-show no need to waste a space on this one.

I like the idea of Big Show,DDP,Booka T,vs Nash,Hall,X-pac. Good six person tag match,would have been very entertaining.

Rock Vs Hogan,Perfect Match.. Leave it alone! Great all the way around.

Taker Vs Naitch. Again perfect,and ended the way it should.. Taker really beat the snot out of flair!!

Triple H(c) Vs SCSA,This is the match that should have happened all along.. I will be surprised if anyone on here,disagrees with this one. Before Trips got hurt,they were eventually going to turn on one another!! I would have had SCSA go over for the Title in this one.. I would have had also a NO DQ match.

Mania 18 was a solid show. too bad that's about the best i can say about it. given all the talent available, this should have been one of the best Mania lineups of all time. it's still in the top half, but that's a far cry from its potential.

World Title: Austin vs. Triple H. this was the bigger match. Jericho, though much loved by the entire IWC and me personally, was not the better man for this spot. let's face it... on the road to WrestleMania, in his feud with Triple H for the World Title, going into the main event of the biggest show of the year, Jericho was like the 3rd or 4th most important person involved in the feud. and he was holding the belt! i'd rank the level of importance along the lines of Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, and then it's a toss up between their dog or Jericho. i'm in no way implying that any of this is Jericho's fault. but it is what it is. Austin and Triple H had serious unfinished business and given their slugfest in the Rumble, i'm surprised this wasn't penciled in as the main event for Mania 18.

IC Title: Rob Van Dam vs. Eddie Guerrero. these guys had a pretty decent feud and i liked that they both used the Frog Splash as a finishing maneuver. they had a pretty good ladder match on Raw around this time... how about moving that match to Mania instead? this would be a great way to open the show.

European Title: Christian vs. William Regal. i didn't think of this match till i saw Macho's idea, but this is brilliant, especially given that the location of this Mania was Christian's hometown of Toronto. Regal is so easily booed that this would have been easy to book. and his build and subsequent match with Page was sadly a waste for both men.

Women's Title: Trish vs. Lita. this is one of the best, if not the absolute best, rivalry in the history of women's wrestling. they main evented Raw. pretty impressive. yeah, it's predictable, but let Trish win the title in her hometown.

Tag Team Titles: Billy & Chuck vs. Hardy Boys vs. Dudley Boys vs. APA. leave it as is. like everyone else, i can't seem to think of anything better. maybe add a few more teams and make this a turmoil match? i know they busted pretty early, but maybe adding some WCW teams like Kronik and Faces of Fear would have worked.

Angle vs. Edge. Brain nailed this one. the feud happened just after Mania anyways, so why not up it by a month? it would have been a great way to use both men that were otherwise wasted on the biggest stage of the year. i'd give Edge the upset win here, Angle take the next match at Backlash and that sets up their rubber match; hair vs. hair at Judgment Day.

Jericho vs. Flair. these two had a pretty good feud some time after this event but i'd move it to this stage. Flair just came off a big win at the Rumble and Jericho just recently lost the World Title to Austin (in my storyline; not real life). so Jericho has an axe to grind, so to speak, and Flair has a reason to boast. put these two in a match and give Jericho a much-needed win to get some momentum back.

Brothers of Destruction vs. Outsiders. absolutely love this idea from Macho. Kane was wasted at this event, as was Hall, and Nash wasn't even used. Taker's match with Flair was pretty freaking awesome, but since his Mania 19 match sucked, just bump it back a year. there's some history between Taker and Nash anyway, so add that in if you want, or make this a totally fresh feud. the two most loyal guys in the history of the WWE are fighting off the invasion of the least loyal guys in the history of the WWE.

this leaves off Booker T, DDP, Perfect and Big Show. so maybe have these 4 WCW guys fight for a #1 Contender's spot for any title. couldn't be any worse than the matches they were actually in.

and last but not least, Hogan vs. Rock stays exactly as is. hindsight is 20/20, but maybe have this close the show given how tough an act it was to follow.

really decent Mania. unfortunately, i fear we may have missed out on an amazing one.

I'm really enjoying these threads, Dagger Dias....great idea.

Wrestlemania 18...a fantastic show...but with so many big names under contract, I think Vince and company could have done a better job of matching them up.

Favorite match on the card....(thanks to the MVP of the show: the fans)...Hogan vs Rock. As much as I would have loved to see Hogan vs Austin, face vs face....after seeing Hogan/Rock you cant change anything. Not a damn thing. One of Hogan's greatest matches ever: Great storytelling, fan response and a good job by the announcing crew...it all went together perfectly to create a Wrestlemania classic.

Least favorite match: Austin vs Hall. Not that it was a bad match, but because Austin deserved to main event this show. It was disappointing to see Steve this low on the card after having (what looked like) a good feud with the nWo. Whether people think he should have gone on to face HHH...I think Angle would have been great as well. Austin was still the face of the company at this time, IMO...and should have been in one final Wrestlemania main event for the title.

If I would have changed anything, as much as it's been done and because I'm such a big fan...make the 4 Corners Elimination tag team championship into TLC 3. Why not? Money in the Bank later became a staple on Wrestlemania cards...I see no reason on why they couldn't have another TLC match for the tag titles, especially with the Dudleys and Hardys involved.

Also, as much as I love Regal...and him having another great Wrestlemania opening match, I think an RVD vs. Kurt Angle match (if we decided to go HHH vs Austin in the main event) would have been nothing short of spectacular.

This was an OK wrestlemania but it falls in the shadows of the WM's before and after it.Absolutley my favorite match was Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock - the crowd was in it & nice in-ring match & good story.
But I have a lot of things that I want to change in this PPV:

1.Rob Van Dam defeated William Regal {C} for the Intercontinental Championship.
This was a nice opening match both are great in the ring and I would have remained it like this.

2.Chris Jericho defeated Kurt Angle
Could be a nice mid-card match.Jericho would have lost the title at No Way Out to Austin.Angle would get a feud with a meaning for the show.

3.Edge defeated Christian
Both guys are great in the ring and they were one of the greatest tag team ever together.Edge wins and he will continue his rise to the top.

4.Scott Hall & X Pac & Booker T defeated Kane & Diamond Dallas Page & Mr.Perfect
The nWo will take on Kane & Page & Perfect who were attacked by them.Booker T will join the group a little bit earlier.

5.The Undertaker defeated Ric Flair in a No Holds Barred match
Nothing to change about this match it was just great.

6.Trish Stratus defeated Jazz {C} - Women's Championship
You don't need Lita in this match and let Trish win the title in front of her home town.

7.Billy and Chuck {C} defeated The APA & The Dudley Boyz & The Hardy Boyz - Four Corners Elimination match - WWE Tag Team Championship.

It was a solid match but there is no better option to replace it.

8.The Rock defeated Hulk Hogan
This was the greatest match on the card and it was an amazing match and great in the story telling.

9.Triple H defeated Stone Cold Steve Austin {C} to win the WWE Championship
I would have Austin win the title from Jericho at No Way Out and lose it to Triple H because I believe the HHH win was needed for this show.

So that's my changes to this WM..

These Wrestlemanias are starting to get a lot more vivid.

The biggest thing I remember about this Wrestlemania was how under-hyped the rest of the card was due to Rock vs Hogan being part of the show. The Undertaker beat up David Flair, so Ric succumbed and decided to fight Undertaker against his better judgement. HHH was at his peak in my opinion, so they really didn't have to hype his title match. It still would have been nice to see some memorable heel shenanigans from Chris Jericho so he wouldn't be completely buried by the loss.

Best match for me was HHH vs Jericho. You had Jericho at his finest giving the fans the story book saga of HHH's comeback, and you had a babyface win the belt at Wrestlemania. It had all the makings of what the fans came to see and it didn't seem dissappoint anyone, I remember enjoying it.

Worst match for me was an obvious choice, Maven vs Goldust in a hardcore match that ended in a no contest. I won't elaborate further, because I shouldn't have too. Anyone with half a brain that can read and comprehend at a third grade level shouldn't have any question as to why that match was probably garbage. The main point I'm trying to make is, they shouldn't have filler for a Wrestlemania. Every match should have a story behind it, they didn't even try to hype DDP vs Christian or the tag team turmoil match with anything dramatic. The lack of proper hype for most of these matches almost made picking the Maven match as the worst a difficult choice.

It's extremely easy to re-book this event knowing what we know today.

First off, I would have had Hogan go over Rock. I know that back then there was criticism regarding someone like Hogan coming through and beating top names, but I think a win over Rock should have been his shining moment. Hogan would have beaten Rock with his classic antics, Rock admits that he took him lightly and needs to find himself. I really don't know what the political situation was back then, so I don't know if Undertaker absolutely HAD to get the belt at a certain point. I would have had HHH carry the belt(s) for a longer period of time and lose it/them to Hogan only to have Rock defeat Hogan for the belt at WM19. I plan this out long term because, from my perspective, they were playing hot potato with that/those belt(s) and I prefer to give an over champion an extended reign.

Undertaker vs Flair. I would have left this on the card, but I honestly HATE the American Badass gimmick. It never clicked with me, it looked like a jingoistic biker shill parade. Undertaker started talking in ebonics to impress his BSK buddies, and he was used for the most cheesy story lines. The Un-Americans are going to burn the US Flag?! Not on The Undertaker AKA The American Badass' watch! There was also that song by Limp Bizkit that I honestly fucking hated, if you want to be taken seriously as a badass don't make anything by Limp Bizkit your theme music. Undertaker was barely over as a heel, so of course he utilized heel tactics of just being a depraved loser to coerce Flair into fighting him. The match was a back and forth set of predictable spots that could have happened at any house show, not that I have anything against house shows. I would have pushed Flair as a heel as well. Flair, for some fucked up reason, was playing the role of a noble athlete who wouldn't sully his good name with a match against an arrogant brute like The Undertaker. I would have had Flair cost Undertaker a match with a low blow or have Flair crush Undertaker's bike into a cube. It would have been Flair showing Undertaker that nobody is a more dirty player than the dirtiest player in the game. I think fans would have loved to see Flair resorting to heel tactics and Undertaker being outsmarted by him. When the two meet, it's a clash of the biggest heels on the roster and is hyped as such.

The second I had a chance to do so, I'd have pushed Lance Storm for top-tier status as an over heel. I think he's been way over looked by bookers then and now, and I think that subsequently the fans only ever saw him as a joke of a character with mediocre ring skills. This guy was phenomenal and he didn't need a flashy gimmick to prove it. I'd have had Lance Storm vs Kurt Angle in a match. I would have wanted to book him in an Iron Man match just to prove his mettle, but the show belonged to HHH and Rock and it would have been foolish to distract from the top money-makers. Hell, have Lance Storm and Kurt Angle get into it over which country produces the best pro-wrestlers. They wouldn't be fighting over a belt, so this back-story would have to seem real to the fans. Kurt Angle cites names like Frank Gotch and Lou Thesz, Lance Storm cites names like Stu Hart and Pat Patterson. Both men up their move repertoire by employing moves from legends of either country.

World Title: Austin vs. Triple H. this was the bigger match. Jericho, though much loved by the entire IWC and me personally, was not the better man for this spot. let's face it... on the road to WrestleMania, in his feud with Triple H for the World Title, going into the main event of the biggest show of the year, Jericho was like the 3rd or 4th most important person involved in the feud. and he was holding the belt! i'd rank the level of importance along the lines of Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, and then it's a toss up between their dog or Jericho. i'm in no way implying that any of this is Jericho's fault. but it is what it is. Austin and Triple H had serious unfinished business and given their slugfest in the Rumble, i'm surprised this wasn't penciled in as the main event for Mania 18.

As you said this wasn't Jericho fault and, much like Austin/Triple H, Jericho and Triple H also had unfinished business stemming from May. Jericho and Triple H would have been a great Championship match but creative dropped the ball in making Jericho a credible champion (he couldn't even beat Rikishi clean) and his feud with Triple H. I say keep Triple H vs. Jericho but make the booking stronger on Jericho's part.

As for Austin it's not like he would have been left out of WM. Ok Scott Hall wasn't the best idea but I think Austin wouldn't have had a problem working with Ric Flair. They could have turned Flair heel down the line making Austin take on Flair at WM. I am sure Austin would have no problems with that. Having a reason why Austin/Flair should go at it at WM might but since Nov to Jan had so many turns, I think the WWE could have made it work.

As for WMX8, I thought the event was fine. I questioned many of the booking choices though (like Edge having a match with Booker T). But for the most part I thought the PPV went alright except the dead reaction for the title match.

I probably would have made Hogan/Rock last but at hindsight no one expected The Rock and Hogan would get the reaction it had. Remember this was the first time we had a "cross generational Icon Match", so it caught everyone in the WWE off guard.

My WMX8 card probably would have looked like this

Icon vs. Icon
The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan

Undisputed WWF Championship
Chris Jericho vs. Triple H
- Same participants better feud, yes I believe this could have worked.

WWF Tag Team Championship
Billy and Chuck vs. The Hardyz vs. The Dudleyz vs. APA
- Eh I'd just keep it

The Nature Boy and the Rattle Snake
Ric Flair vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Women's Championship
Lita vs. Trish Stratus vs. Jazz
- I actually like this match. Trish was great here (and I don't mean just by her looks) but she took a lot of still moves from Jazz. I would have preferred that Trish wins it since we were at her home town. And I wouldn't have this match so late in the PPV.

The Outsider within the Brothers of Destruct
The Undertaker and Kane vs. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash
- Never understood why Nash was left out of the card. He wasn't injured or anything like that. This would have made sense four guys who were in the forefront in the Monday Night Wars.

A Perfect Olympian
Mr. Perfect Curt Henning vs. Kurt Angle
- I didn't understand why this match didn't take place. I thought it made "perfect" sense. Both have similar pedigrees have similar styles.

Unification Match: Intercontinental and European Championship
Edge vs. Christian
- Edge was the IC Champion I saw no reason why he couldn't hold it at WM until his home town and same with Christian as the Euro Champ. They were going to unify the title anyways might as well be here in Toronto for everyone to witness.

6-Man Tag Team Match
Booker T, Test, and William Regal vs. Rob Van Dam, Goludst and Diamond Dallas Page
- Make it a fallout post invasion where Booker T blames RVD for losing. Ok this is basically putting people who don't have a match at WMX8 but it would b a solid opening match up.

I liked the feel of WrestleMania X8; it was a far cry from the success of WrestleMania X-Seven, but I liked the show. I do feel there were a few odd questions to be answered here. Why did the title match go last, ahead of Hollywood Hulk Hogan versus The Rock? Why was Mr. Perfect left off the card? Why the fuck did Edge face Booker T? Why was Steve Austin relegated to facing Scott Hall? The depth of the show was effected because of odd booking decisions and timing decisions.

Changes I would have made include:
Singles Match
Kurt Angle vs. Mr Perfect
This was a major missed opportunity here. I think these two could have had an awesome match, much like the Angle/Benoit match the previous year. Hennig wasn't even on the card, that in its self was a mistake to me. This would have been better for both guys, considering Angle was sorta left with nothing to do after at this event.

Singles Match to unify the WWF Intercontinental Championship and the WWF European Championship
Christian (c; WWF European Champion) vs. Edge (c; WWF Intercontinental Champion)
They were going to unify the titles anyway, so why not here? Both guys had really weak feuds at the event, but this would have made total sense. Give them a decent amount of time in front of their home crowd, and this would have been an epic, emotional moment for the history books. I'm sure Edge and Christian would agree. Edge would win as the face here.

Here is where there are two options:
Singles Match for the WWF Championship
Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) vs. Triple H
and
Singles Match
Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock

or

Singles Match for the WWF Championship
Chris Jericho (c) vs. Triple H
and
Handicap Match
The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The nWo (Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall)

To me, either option is good. I'd love to have seen the Two-Man Power Trip go at it for the title in the main event; Austin and Triple H feels like a WrestleMania main event. However, I saw nothing wrong with the Jericho match, other than the build and the placement on the card. The handicap match is pretty much a dream match, but I think it could have sold really well. I know I've gone all "dreamy" here, but why not? To me, the icon versus icon match has never really entertained me from a wrestling perspective, more just pure electricity. Stone Cold was getting pissed as it was because he felt he was being underused, and he was desperate to fight Hogan. Maybe the handicap match for a SummerSlam instead? I don't know, just fantasy booking here.

This has got to be the Wrestlemania with the most missed opportunities. A lot of which has already been mentioned by other posters. The best, and pretty much only, match they got right was Rock vs Hulk. Everything else should have been changed

WWF UNDISPUTED CHAMPIONSHIP
RIC FLAIR vs CHRIS JERICHO
I would have had Ric Flair win the Royal Rumble and go on to face Jericho. I know I know, but what about Triple H's big return? I'll get to that later. For now, I have Jericho retaining the title in his home country against Ric Flair. Why Flair? Well it would have been exactly 10 years after his 1992 Rumble win. The Rumble final four goes like this: Flair, Austin, Hennig, Angle. The two Kurts get rid of Austin, but then Angle turns on Hennig and throws him out. Flair sneaks up from behind and eliminates Angle with a little help from Hennig on the outside. At mania its the walls of jericho vs the figure four as Flair attempts to regain the big gold belt and the wwf belt that he held exactly 10 years earlier. Flair putting Jericho over at Mania would have cemented Jericho as the new millenium nature boy.

STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN vs DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE
Since Goldberg wasn't a part of the WCW invasion, DDP is the next best thing in terms of a WCW opponent for Austin. They never allowed DDP to be the same character he was in WCW, if they had then the master of the diamond cutter vs the stone cold stunner would have made for a helluva Mania match.

KURT ANGLE vs CURT HENNIG
Imagine the build up to this match with Kurt Angle recreating those old Mr.Perfect vignettes where he throws the football to himself and hits a hole in one to show that he's the real Mr.Perfect. It's just plain dumb that this match never happened, especially seeing as how they formed an alliance to try and eliminated Hunter and Austin at the Rumble. This match practically writes itself and yet somehow WWF dropped the ball. No excuse for this missed opportunity. Instead of this match we got Perfect in a pre-show six man tag. Really?

IC/EURO TITLE UNIFICATION TLC MATCH
EDGE vs CHRISTIAN

Here you have two Toronto native tag team partners who had recently split up and started a feud with each other, wrestling on the same card in TORONTO in the same stadium where they sat together and watched Wrestlemania 6, and yet somehow on this night they faced different opponents. WOW. I don't understand why this never happened. I say make it a TLC match seeing as how that's the match that made them both famous.

THE BROTHERS OF DESTRUCTION vs HARLEM HEAT
Battle of the brothers. Booker and Stevie, formerly known as Kane and Kole, take on Kane and Undertaker. It all starts when Undertaker, the leader of the WWF locker room (who never should have turned heel by the way) takes exception to the fact that Booker T is still part of the roster after WCW lost at Survivor Series. Booker started the whole invasion back in June 2001 and now Taker wants to put him away for good. Booker enlists the help of his brother and former tag partner Stevie Ray to double team the deadman only to have Kane make the save thus setting up a match at Mania.

D-GENERATION X vs THE OUTSIDERS
After the NWO arrived on the scene, the obvious opponents for them would have been a reformed DX. Triple H makes his return the night after No Way Out and brings some back up with him to take down the nWo. The only question is which version of DX goes up against Hall and Nash.

It could have been Triple H and The New Age Outlaws vs The Outsiders and Syxx. Xpac still worked for the company and could have turned on Triple H and The Outlaws during the build up to Mania and sides with the Outsiders.
OR
An even better dream matchup would have been for Triple H to bring Shawn Michaels out of retirement to face their old Kliq members Hall and Nash. The two defining groups of the attitude era clashing at Wrestlemania. Sean Waltman could be the special referee, leaving both teams to wonder where his allegiances lie. Of the two, this is the less likely scenario because then Shawn and Hogan would have had to make their Wrestlemania returns on the same night. That could be a case of overbooking. BUT this is Wrestlemania, so if there was ever a night to make an exception to the rule, this would be it.
---

The rest of the card, especially the classic ROCK vs HULK match is fine as it was.

When you get down to it, this was one hell of a card. I just watched WM2 on the WWE Network and the comparison in match-ups from that WM to the one being discussed in this topic is almost unbelievable. In WM18, every contest was worthy of being on the top card of the year, which is how WM ought to be. (WM2 looked more like a house show)

To make mention of two matches: I loved the Undertaker-Flair match-up just because of the people involved. Both men were already legends, although they had achieved their status in such different ways that it made the contest a toss-up, imo. Flair was still dangerous in those days, while 'Taker's streak was being discussed, yet it wasn't as obvious at that time that the company intended to let it continue into perpetuity. The action in the ring was superior, as well, as both guys could work like the pros they were.

On the other side of the coin, the Hogan-Rock match, while attractive due to the principals involved, was a stinker in the ring. Say what you want about Rock's ring repertoire, but his matches were fast as lightning. The problem here was that he had to slow his movements down to a crawl to accommodate Hogan, who was slower than he had been in his prime.....which was slow even then. Rock looked bad due to this....while Hogan looked like.....well, Hogan.

Of course, the notion of Rock becoming a bad guy just for this one match was kind of dubious.....it reminded of Shawn Michaels doing the same thing.....once again, to face Hogan.

Further, this contest represented two guys who no longer worked for WWE, coming back for a limited engagement, which is the type of thing that infuriates a lot of folks on this wrestling forum.

Take that as you will, it was still Hogan vs. Rock, which would be a marquee match-up in any era.

On the other side of the coin, the Hogan-Rock match, while attractive due to the principals involved, was a stinker in the ring. Say what you want about Rock's ring repertoire, but his matches were fast as lightning. The problem here was that he had to slow his movements down to a crawl to accommodate Hogan, who was slower than he had been in his prime.....which was slow even then. Rock looked bad due to this....while Hogan looked like.....well, Hogan.

Of course, the notion of Rock becoming a bad guy just for this one match was kind of dubious.....it reminded of Shawn Michaels doing the same thing.....once again, to face Hogan.

I respectfully disagree.

In my opinion, when you watch a Hogan match you should have certain expectations. You know what he brings to the table...you've seen it time and time again. Even in his prime...he was never that good in the ring, so why expect anything else in Toronto at Wrestlemania 18??

What we got exceeded my expectations. Both guys gave it their all and told one hell of a story. Of course, you always come back to the fans...which, without them, this match isn't nearly as special.

As far as comparing Rock going heel for one match like Michaels did against Hogan in 2005, I don't like the comparison. Michaels' was planned while the fans turned Rock heel for that night...since nostalgia was running wild.

So this was a very good WM, but with the roster at the time, it should have been the very greatest WM of all-time. They nailed The Rock vs Hogan, no doubt about that one. But the rest could've been tweaked to make it the most unforgettable event in all of wrestling history. This would be my card.

1. Rob Van Dam vs. Eddie Guerrero

2. WWF Women's Championship: Lita (c) vs. Trish Stratus

3. DDP vs. Booker T

4. Intercontinental/European Unification Ladder Match: Edge (c) vs. Christian (c)

5. Ric Flair vs. Chris Jericho

6. Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Perfect

7. Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show

8. WWF Tag Team Championship Triple Threat: The Dudley Boyz (c) vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The APA

9. Brothers of Destruction vs. The Outsiders

10. The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan

11. WWF Championship: Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) vs. Triple H

I forgot to even mention in the Wrestlemania 17 thread that this one and 19 are up on my top lists as well for great manias to. We did have a good string of years with awesome Manias in the early 2000s to late.

Once again 18 returned to my hometown, sadly I never ended up going as Ticket sales went fast, but me and a couple friends got together at a local pub on a st pattys day to enjoy it.

I would make a few changes, not much as I liked the roster at the time. Of course I would have had the Rock/Hollywood Hogan match close the show and since the crowd welcomed back Hogan I would have had his old theme song play at the end of the show as it looked like the Immortal Hulk Hogan was coming back after several years. Of course the Rock/Hollywood match to me was match of the night.

I probably would have actually had Edge vs Christian for the european title. They had split up a few months earlier and I think that feud itself would have told a great story leading to the big event in Toronto. THen I would have made Booker T vs DDP. To veterans from WCW slugging it out. Needless to say I enjoyed this mania a lot and was happy with everything out of it.

I liked the feel of WrestleMania X8; it was a far cry from the success of WrestleMania X-Seven, but I liked the show. I do feel there were a few odd questions to be answered here. Why did the title match go last, ahead of Hollywood Hulk Hogan versus The Rock? Why was Mr. Perfect left off the card? Why the fuck did Edge face Booker T? Why was Steve Austin relegated to facing Scott Hall? The depth of the show was effected because of odd booking decisions and timing decisions.

Like I said, this was the first time the WWF had "dream match" since WWF finally had all the these superstars in the company. I remember there was a podcast with Jimmy Korderas and they asked how come Triple H/Jericho went last instead of Rock/Hogan.

Korderas replied that the people backstage had no idea that Rock/Hogan was going to get that kind of reaction from the crowd. Apparently it caught them off guard. If they knew it the crowd was going to pop like that they would have made it last.

I think that's a fair reason like I said before this WCW had the legends and WWF had the youthful superstars so they never crossed paths.

As you said this wasn't Jericho fault and, much like Austin/Triple H, Jericho and Triple H also had unfinished business stemming from May. Jericho and Triple H would have been a great Championship match but creative dropped the ball in making Jericho a credible champion (he couldn't even beat Rikishi clean) and his feud with Triple H. I say keep Triple H vs. Jericho but make the booking stronger on Jericho's part.

it's true, Triple H and Jericho certainly still had some unfinished business. some could even make the argument that it was Jericho that actually caused the initial injury to Triple H in the first place and thus this should have been a much bigger build than what we got.

Jericho mentioned in his second book that he had the idea of building up this match, not just with the whole injury angle, which was an obvious no-brainer, but also with Stephanie by adding an affair angle as well. however, this was totally scrapped. Stephanie just became Jericho's escort to the ring and ordered him around, but without the forbidden sex plot, it kinda (and by that i mean totally) made Jericho look like a major idiot and wuss. so it was bad, but again, not Jericho's fault. he had much better ideas.

all of that said, i'd still do Triple H/Austin for Mania and let the Triple H/Jericho feud pick up later in the year like it actually did with their amazing Hell in a Cell Match at either Judgment Day or No Mercy; can't remember which. but it happened not long after Mania and i think it could've waited. maybe even for the second biggest stage of the year at SummerSlam.

and now, after reading all these other responses, i'm second guessing my card and considering making Edge/Christian and Angle/Perfect instead of my proposed Edge/Angle, Christian/Regal and Perfect/DDP/Booker T/Big Show.

also props to MMK that suggested NWO vs. DX. that could have been amazing. either Brothers of Destruction vs. Outsiders or NWO vs. DX should have happened at this event. how were so many opportunities missed this year?

My dream card would have been like this:

World Title- Chris Jericho vs. Kurt Angle
(keep Angle a face and have him win the Royal Rumble and the win the title this night)

IC Title - RVD vs. Eddie
(I like that idea of Eddie coming back early)

US title - Kanyon vs. Big Show
(I would have only united the world title and have had Kanyon hold onto the belt since Summerslam or earlier because "Who better than Kanyon" would be legit. Big Show ends the reign at Wrestlemania)

WWF Tag titles - Tazz and Spike vs. Dudley Boyz
(the Dudley's end the feud and win the belts)

World Tag titles - Lance Storm and Mike Awesome vs. the APA
(APA win the titles)

TV title(European title renamed) - Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy
(their feud should have culminated at Wrestlemania)

Crusierweight Title - Tajiri vs. Billy Kidman

Women's Title - Jazz vs. Trish
(Trish wins)

nWo (Hogan, Hall, Nash) vs. Austin, Rock, Triple H
(HBK returns early to join the nWo and cost Austin, Rock, and Triple H after super kicking Triple H when he's about to pedigree Hogan)

Undertaker vs. Flair

DDP vs. Christian
(Same story but no title)

Booker T vs. Kane
(Booker issues an open challenge and Kane answers)

Edge vs. Rhyno
(Former good friends start feuding)

I know that hindsight is 20/20, but even at the time I thought this card could've been A LOT better given the talent available.

I basically stopped watching wrestling because I was disgusted with Jericho vs HHH (That, blowing WcW talent like DDP, and not bringing in guys like Goldberg and Sting plus the name change WWF-WWE was the final nail for me). I thought Jericho was waaaaay over his head taking on The Game. He was just not in his league, or the league of Rock and Austin to be beating them in the same night let alone main eventing Mania against one of them. I hated the drastic push he got. It felt forced, and I thought they were basically building him because everyone else was on their way out (Rock, Austin, Hogan, Taker etc)...I should've stuck around because I was obviously wrong, but other things in life were pulling me away too (senior year parties, chicks, etc) and there was no DVR at the time haha. If things were going the way I wanted, I probably would've made it a point not to miss any shows, but whatev.

However, I didn't appreciate some of the fueds and matches like I do now. For example, it really wasn't Austin vs Hall. It was Austin vs The Outsiders. It also wasn't just Undertaker vs Flair. It was almost like Undertaker vs The Horsemen given AA's involvement (although minimal).

Also, I remember wanting Hogan vs Austin at the time because after Rock couldn't beat Austin I thought Hogan was the only person that could and wanted to see that instead, but in retrospect, Rock and Hogan was a perfect matchup given their Hollywood status, and similar entertainment styles.

Another thing I didn't appreciate or notice how this was essentially a WCW vs WWF card. If you look at almost every single match, it was a WCW guy vs a true WWF guy.

I HATED how they basically through away DDP and Mr. Perfect though. DDP was a top star in WCW...my personal fav. He deserved better than what he got here.

To answer the questions though, the best match of the night that actually delivered was a 3 way tie IMO....Taker vs Flair, Austin vs Hall, and Rock vs Hogan. The build ups for those 3 were fantastic too. I loved the involvement of AA and Nash in those two matches, and thought the delivery on all 3 were above my expectations. Worst match of the night was tough...the tag title match was eh, and Maven vs Goldust I couldn't care any less about. I did like the Booker T- Edge endorsement angle though...some of Booker T's finest comedy. "I'm smart, I wear glasses don't I?" or "I was reading Einstein's Theory of Relatives" lmao.

I like other people's potential matches like Austin vs DDP or Flair or HHH, Vince vs Flair, Angle vs Perfect or Edge, RVD vs Jericho or Eddie, Brothers of Destruction vs The Outsiders. I'm not 100% sure what I would've done with a re-vamp, especially with DDP, but I'll take a crack at it and wing it....

1. Rob Van Dam vs Eddie Guerrero (c)- European Title

2. Booker T vs Edge - Endorsement Deal

3. Chris Jericho vs Diamond Dallas Page

4. Dudley's (c) vs APA vs Hardy's - Tag Titles (No DQ Tornado Tag Match)

5. Mr. Perfect vs Kurt Angle (c) -Intercontinental Title

6. Ric Flair vs Vince McMahon - Full Control of WWF (No DQ)

7. Trish Stratus vs Lita (c) -Womens Title

8. The Outsiders (Hall & Nash) vs Brothers of Destruction (Undertaker Kane)

9. Hollywood Hogan vs The Rock

10. Triple H vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (c) -WWF Title

This was a solid Wrestlemania but nothing spectacular. I really only would have made a few minor changes. The first change would have been to have Kurt Angle take on Mr. Perfect. After the Rumble they could have easily built this match up and it could have been one of the better matches on the ppv. With Kane being left out of that match I would have had him take the place of Maven in the hardcore title match. I know Maven was the champion coming into the ppv but they could have easily had Kane or Goldust as the champion going in. I also would have gotten rid of all the random hardcore title changes backstage throughout the event and just given the actual match a few more minutes.

The biggest change I would have made isn't a change in match participants, but rather in the order of the matches. I would have had Rock vs Hogan as the main event of the show. It was the best match on the show and easily had the best crowd reaction. The way it was done originally, the fans were spent after that match and the title match between Triple H and Jericho, while good, lost a lot of its luster. A simple switch of when those matches went on would have done a lot of good for the ppv.

I'd really just reverse Austin and Triple H. Put Austin in the title match, as Triple H as a babyface and his redemption story and all that nonsense with Stephanie was awful. I'd also put Rock/Hogan on last, and bill that match as the main event instead of the title match, or at least co-main events. Because, let's face it... Rock was bigger than Austin at this point, and the dream match with Hogan was must-see and bigger than Jericho.

I'd also have Triple H involved with the nWo. He lead the charge by invading WCW, having him regroup D-X to rebel against Vince's "poison" makes sense... and tie it in with the klick and Shawn Michaels, this would have been a huge draw. Ideally Michaels is in the match, but since at the time he wasn't an "active" wrestler, he can be the referee.

Icon vs Icon
The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan

Undisputed World Championship
Chris Jericho 'C' vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

No Holds Barred
Undertaker vs Flair

The Klick - nWo vs D-X: Shawn Michaels Guest Referee
Kevin Nash, Scott Hall & X-Pac vs Triple H, Billy Gunn & Road Dogg

Triple H vs Jericho could have been a better main event. Maybe Stone Cold could have been involved in the main event, or he could have faced Angle. Kane-Angle wasn't really the WM kind of match, and Stone Cold-Scott Hall was not good at all. These guys should have been booked in better matches!

I really enjoyed this Mania. It definitely isn't the best of all time but still a high quality show. There isn't a lot I would change except the obvious. Triple H v Austin would have been great. I'd imagine HHH would be the heel and that would work fine. Austin beats Jericho at No Way Out and Triple H goes on to win. I suppose the only problem would be if he won clean and Vince being involved for the third Mania in a row would be overkill.

I'd give the Outsiders a tag match. I didn't see the point in Nash not having a match so maybe Nash and Hall vs Booker and Kane. Angle vs Edge and give Mr Perfect something. Maybe a match with DDP, Christian or a triple threat.

Rock v Hogan was magical and obviously my favourite match. It was what, in my opinion, Wrestlemania matches should be. It felt epic and that is surely the point of Wrestlemania. I also liked what they did with the hardcore title which was a fun way to give some people an appearance on the show. Overall, a great Wrestlemania.

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned that (I believe) the original plan for this Wrestlemania was to culminate the invasion angle here, before they rushed it at Survivor Series...

This was actually the first Wrestlemania I watched live (the previous 4 I had taped and watched the next day as I was young, WWE ppvs starting at 1am in the UK), I remember being blown away by the reaction to Hogan-Rock. NO ONE expected that!

The most underrated match on the card was the solid DDP v Christian match up; the Hardcore title chase was pointless comedy (Mighty Molly got pinned after having a door shut in her face, WTF? Are we watching Looney Toons here?) and Booker T v Edge may have been the worst story behind a feud since Jericho spilling coffee on Kane...

A solid Wrestlemania, and one which really build up the concept of a 'Wrestlemania Moment'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back