• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 1: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This is a thread series that I am going to be doing for the next few weeks. With Wrestlemania 30 approaching, I would like to take a look back at all of the previous editions of the biggest pro wrestling PPV brand out there, Wrestlemania. Every couple of days from now up until Wrestlemania 30 I will submit a topic on a Wrestlemania event, from the first show up until Wrestlemania 29. Let's slowly look back at all of the historical events leading up to the big day in April.

We shall begin with the one that started it all.... Wrestlemania 1!

WrestleMania.jpg

Wrestlemania 1 took place on March 31st, 1985. It was held at Madison Square Garden in New York where 19,121 fans attended the event. Here are the match results:

1. Tito Santana defeated The Executioner in a singles match (04:50)

2. King Kong Bundy (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Special Delivery Jones in a singles match (00:24)

3. Ricky Steamboat defeated Matt Borne in a singles match (04:38)

4. David Sammartino (with Bruno Sammartino) fought Brutus Beefcake (with Johnny Valiant) to a double disqualification in a singles match (11:44)

5. The Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine (c) (with Jimmy Hart) by countout in a singles match for the WWF Intercontinental Championship (06:55)

6. Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik (with Freddie Blassie) defeated The U.S. Express (Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham) (with Lou Albano) in a tag team match to win the WWF Tag Team Championship (06:56)

7. André the Giant defeated Big John Studd (with Bobby Heenan) in a $15,000 Body Slam Challenge (05:54)

8. Wendi Richter (with Cyndi Lauper) defeated Leilani Kai (with The Fabulous Moolah) in a singles match to win the WWF Women's Championship (06:12)

9. Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) defeated Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (with Bob Orton) in a tag team match with Muhammad Ali and Pat Patterson as the special guest referees (13:24)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning the show that started the legendary Wrestlemania PPV brand:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

If you could change one thing about Wrestlemania 1, and for the purposes of discussion it may only be one thing as the rest of the show remains historically accurate other than your change, what would it be?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in March 1985. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Wrestlemania 1 in this thread. The other Wrestlemania events will be getting their own retrospective threads shortly, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

WrestleMania 1 is a lot like Super Bowl I. The card itself wasn't spectacular and there had been prior wrestling supercards like Showdown at Shea and Starrcade. But while those were marketed to a regional audience WM 1 was the first wrestling supercard marketed to a national audience. What set WM 1 apart from the rest was the inclusion of national celebrities i.e. Ali, Mr. T, Billy Martin, Cyndi Lauper, Liberace.

WM 1 will always be remembered for Hogan/T vs Piper/Orton. One could argue it was the most influential match in WWF history. I don't think there was a "worst" match. Every match on the card served it's purpose, and that getting the audience to the main event.

Obviously it was extremely successful so I wouldn't change anything.

I’m sure we will see a lot of responses saying the main event should have been Hulk Hogan vs. Roddy Piper one on one for the title. I used to think that but have since come to realize the main event for WrestleMania I was fine the way it was. One guy I’ve always wondered about was Don Muraco. He had been one of the top heels for a couple years but he was missing from the mania card. I’m not sure if he was injured or on a hiatus but if available I would have definitely found a way to get Muraco on that card. Either put him against Tito Santana or put Santana against Greg Valentine and Muraco against Junk Yard Dog.

One change that crossed my mind involved the match between David Sammartino and Brutus Beefcake. The match ended in a double disqualification when Johnny V and Bruno Sammartino got involved. This led to a tag match between Bruno and David against Beefcake and Johnny V. I think it may have been better to have the one on one match at The War To Settle The Score in February and build the tag match for mania. Bruno returning to action in MSG would have been another big selling point for the first WrestleMania.

As for my favorite match, I'd say it was the main event. It was well booked considering the celebrities involved and the involvment of an actor did not take away from the action at all. I don't really have a least favorite but if I had to pick I guess I'd say the opener simply because I don't know that The Executioner was ever used besides that card. The first ever mania match involved a nobody. Yes, I know it was Buddy Rose, but the Executioner was a nobody.

There is no likes or dislikes in this WM - because all of the matches were average but of course by the crowd reaction the ME was over more then the other matches.

If I could have done one change in the card I would have booked Hulk Hogan vs Rowdy Piper for the WWF Title in a No DQ match with Mr.T as the special referee.Now I would have love to let Piper win it and win a world title in the WWF but it was the first WM and it should have ended with Mr T punching Piper then Hogan hitting him with a big boot followed by a leg drop {or two} for a 3 count and to retain the championship.Then you could have ended WM with Hogan and Mr T celebrating.As of Paul Orndorff and Bob Orton you could have had them in Piper's corner and then being taken down by Mr T and Hogan during the match and then have the match's finish.

In retrospect it's easy to say this should have happened and this guy should have faced this guy. The thing is, the inaugural WrestleMania essentially made WWE what it is today. Without Hulk Hogan and Mr. T vs Paul Orndorff and Roddy Piper I truly believe things wouldn't be the same. WrestleMania I made WWE a main wrestling attraction and led to a series of great things for the company.

It's easy to say it should have been Hulk Hogan (c) vs Roddy Piper for the WWE Championship, but that's from our perspective in 2014. In 1985, these guys weren't legends, not yet. Legends in the making? That's arguable at this point as well. Mr. T was essential in drawing in an outside audience to a big event. The same can be said for Muhammad Ali who was simply the guest ring announcer, or Cyndi Lauper who helped with the Rock n' Wrestling Connection. All these simple things helped form the greatest event of its time.

I personally only find entertainment in WrestleMania I based on the fact that it was the landmark start to the company and business I love today. The show was decent, but it was what it needed to be. In 1985, there wasn't anything better, and that's all that mattered.

I remember going to see this event in Providence, RI at the old Civic Center, on closed circuit, because cable had yet to reach my neck of the woods in 1985. I don't remember thinking that this card was any more or less special than anything else I had seen at that time, but who knew then what VKM was trying to do at that time...Anyway, I know that I shelled out my $15 bucks(remarkable, huh?) and pushed the tired old motor on my p.o.s. chevy vega into downtown Providence, RI, mainly to see Andre the Giant beat the shit out of John Studd. In retrospect the card wasn't all that bad, though it wasn't much more than what the Garden ran on it's monthly cards. As stated before, my main reason for going to the arena that sunday afternoon was to see Andre vs Studd in the bodyslam match, and while not a technical classic, satisfied my fix. I remember the tag team championship match was pretty entertaining, and Hogan and T vs Piper and Orndorff delivered on most levels.
I think one thing I would have had in that card was a match with Snuka participating in the ring as opposed to just being in Hogan's corner. I don't know if this was during the time when Snuka was going through some of his personal and legal difficulties, but I think that Snuka should have had more of a part in the card. As far as my least favorite match.....IDK, maybe David Sammartino vs Brutus Beefcake...I just couldn't get behind Bruno's kid at all, he didn't get over with me in the slightest. At that time Brutus Beefcake was a long way away from being "the Barber" and being over with fans in any way shape or form, so I just didn't get too excited about that match...I can hardly believe that it's been so many years now. I
wonder if VKM even thought he would reach the levels he eventually did...

I used to want to change the main event, but now I realize it was smarter this way. A celebrity being in the match gave it a lot more intrigue and exposure. Without that first main event, you don't even get to Mania 2.

My favorite match would be the main event. The crowd was hot for it and it had a ton of energy. I wouldn't pick a lease favorite. Squashes were a lot more common back then and used as a way to get someone over. I don't hate any of the matches. Once you get to Wrestlemania's 4 and 5 though, it's hard to watch that stuff. Like 16 matches on the cards, all of them about 3-7 minutes long of punch/kick/bodyslam. Torturous.

I can't believe the guy above me drove a Vega. One of the most notoriously shit cars in history lol. I guess we've all been there. My first was a Lincoln Towncar that was about 10 years old when I bought it.

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most?

My favourite match on the card was the WWF Tag Team Title match. I loved Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo as a young kid, and with Lou Albano in their corner they were cool to me(7 at the time). Vulkoff and Shiek were so entertaining to me, I had no idea at the time that Sheik was the man Hogan beat for the belt a year earlier, but tag matches always had me as a little fella watching the wrestling. When Shiek nailed Barry Windham with the cane, I was gutted. I think I cried actually lol. Just like I did when Brutus Beefcake rubbed Johnny V's cigar in his eyes later that year when they dropped the belts to The Dream Team, and subsequently Barry left the WWF.

What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

The opener never really took my fancy, Tito Santana was the former WWE IC Champion,and Ive read Vince wanted him to open the show as a sign of respect to his ability to get the crowd up and going in his all or nothnig shot at making Mania 1 work. The Executioner was a nothing talent at the time. I believe Buddy Rose played The Executiioner that night, feel free to correct me. Hindsight shows Vince could not have known the phenomenon he created that night, so it is hard to criticise a basicvally jobber match opening the show, but that is the match I liked the least,, mainly becuase even as a 7yo, I knew Tito would win.

If you could change one thing about Wrestlemania 1, and for the purposes of discussion it may only be one thing as the rest of the show remains historically accurate other than your change, what would it be?

Simple, I would have had Greg Valentine vs Tito Santana for the IC Title in a steel cage, the match they had 4 months later where Valentine smashed the title up at the end, I think that often forgotten moment would be etched in fans minds as a huge Wrestlemania moment. I have read Vince had Junkyard Dog in the match as he didnt want Valentine dropping the belt as the plan was already set for Santana to regain the belt when he did, and Tito was returning from a knee injury and didnt feel kayfabe the fans would buy Valentine not going straight after the knee and having a quick match. So if the knee injury wasnt a factor, that is what I would have changed. Otherwise, history shows the show was as good as it could have been.

I only only seen bits and pieces of this Mania and have yet to watch it from beginning to end. As a kid I enjoyed the Bodyslam challenge match the most. Probably because of the silly gimmick involved but as a child I thought it to be pretty cool.

Really wouldn't change anything about the card as outside of the top guys I am not too familiar with most others on the card. Also the original Mania was more about star power and spectacle rather than the matches themselves, so the card from that perspective is fairly well booked.

Favorite match would be the main event. It was the best worked match out of all. The other matches were either ok or bad. Would have been better had Mr T not been in it. The worst match? Sammartino vs Beefcake. Slow, plodding, and a lame ending.

The thing I would have changed would have been to have Hogan vs Piper as the main event. Ali could have been the special enforcer. I would have Hogan win clean(in a perfect world Piper would agree to it).

I'll admit that I have not seen this show all the way through before, so it would be unfair of me to pick a favorite and least favorite match. Out of the content I've seen, I liked the main event match the most. However, the thing I would change ends up changing the main event match. The one thing that Wrestlemania 1 was missing in my opinion was a WWF Championship match. Hogan could have had Mr T and Jimmy Snuka both in his corner while defending the title against Roddy Piper who could have had both Paul Orndorff and Bob Orton in his corner. I know that's not the most original re-booking idea that a fan has ever given this show, but it's what I'd have wanted to see. To me a show's not complete without a world title match. It's not the best Wrestlemania out there from the content I have seen and from what I have read about it, but it was the one that started it all so aside from lacking a world title match I see little reason to change anything else.

I’m sure we will see a lot of responses saying the main event should have been Hulk Hogan vs. Roddy Piper one on one for the title. I used to think that but have since come to realize the main event for WrestleMania I was fine the way it was. One guy I’ve always wondered about was Don Muraco. He had been one of the top heels for a couple years but he was missing from the mania card. I’m not sure if he was injured or on a hiatus but if available I would have definitely found a way to get Muraco on that card. Either put him against Tito Santana or put Santana against Greg Valentine and Muraco against Junk Yard Dog.

One change that crossed my mind involved the match between David Sammartino and Brutus Beefcake. The match ended in a double disqualification when Johnny V and Bruno Sammartino got involved. This led to a tag match between Bruno and David against Beefcake and Johnny V. I think it may have been better to have the one on one match at The War To Settle The Score in February and build the tag match for mania. Bruno returning to action in MSG would have been another big selling point for the first WrestleMania.

As for my favorite match, I'd say it was the main event. It was well booked considering the celebrities involved and the involvment of an actor did not take away from the action at all. I don't really have a least favorite but if I had to pick I guess I'd say the opener simply because I don't know that The Executioner was ever used besides that card. The first ever mania match involved a nobody. Yes, I know it was Buddy Rose, but the Executioner was a nobody.

It think it had a lot to do with Superfly's (recently reawakened) legal issues of the time. He and Muraco had a great feud going and had had that "moment" in 83... they could have replayed it with Orton or Dr. D at Mania 1 had Snuka not been investigated... To this day I am amazed they had him on the show at all... the first HOF removal is on the way folks...

As for the show, it was by today's standard's lacklustre but it was about establishing a concept. Wrestling was only part of the tale, it was as much about Mr. T, Liberace, Ali, The Rockettes, Cyndi Lauper... it was proof that wrestling could become a pop culture product, on a grander scale than previously attempted. The in ring action was in many ways secondary. It's a different animal to watch today than to watch the original version with all the music intact. JYD coming out to "Another One Bites The Dust", "Born In The USA" for the US Express, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" for Wendi Richter and "Eye Of The Tiger" for Hogan and T... at the time that would have been major cool... just as people marked out for Punk's use of Cult of Personality the first time or Hogan's Voodo Chile intro... Real music makes a hell of a difference, as good as Jim Johnston i, the first thing most people do on a WWE game these days is swap all the themes for what they think it should be. It's sad it's hard to see this original version cos of royalties.

In many ways it was the most "quality worker" Mania ever... in that with the exception of Bundy, SD Jones and at the time Beefcake... everyone else was a "good to great" worker. Even Buddy Rose was pretty good.

They picked guys for their ability to carry the wrestling end of the show, to make sure the fans who WERE about the matches in the arena were happy and catered to as well as those who wanted to see T and Hogan...

The quality of the matches wasn't stellar, perhaps the best two were Steamboat and Borne, both excellent in the ring and JYD v Valentine, which was the nearest to a good old fashioned 'wrasslin' feud... Indeed, Valentines highly racist promos of the time (they are STILL on Youtube amazingly) meant that was, except for the main event, the hottest match of the show.

It's easy to look back at the roster of the time and say other matches could and perhaps should have been booked... but what they put out worked. As Vince famously said they JUST broke even, but the value was not money...it was that he had pulled it off and not lost his shirt.

Could they have had Bruno and David team? Yes probably, it might have helped Jr. get over a bit more... Should Orton have wrestled? he had an "injury gimmick" that worked so perhaps not... Could they have used Dr. D? Yes, but he was already a loose cannon and pissed off... Could they have made a big steal from the NWA prior to the show like a Flair, Rhodes or Race... sure but it wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference. The only major talent elsewhere at the time who could have really made a difference and who I would have made sure was part of it was Sgt. Slaughter.

Face or heel, Slaughter on that card would have perhaps given it that little extra star power and boost to make it profitable. Slaughter could have taken a squash over an Orton, Muraco or even Jesse Ventura as a face... Or could have been the heel facing Bruno or someone similar.
It's not a case of "don't touch it cos it's perfect" but a case of "if you change one match, it might not have worked as well".

I am using my first post on this forum to discuss the event that started it all for me. I live in Australia and this event was the first one shown on TV for us (I was 8 years old in 1985) and to this day the main event is still my all time favourite match for a number of reasons.

I was one of the many who wouldn't have watched wrestling until I heard about the involvement of Mr.T and Cyndi, I thought to myself "what are they doing? they are going to get hurt!". These two are almost always underappreciated by the WWE universe, probably because it was so long ago but as we all know now, if this event didn't work out we wouldn't have anything to talk about now!

I was more than happy with the main event, this particular feud was bigger than a championship match, it was like the belt could be put on hold because this grudge is going to get ugly!

The 4 guys in the main event had great chemistry and I felt T had some good spots overall and to have Ali there to try and help with the chaos added to the excitement and the crowd of course were red hot!

It was by far the most important match in history because the worldwide explosion it had from here on was just out of control!

There wasn't much that I didn't like, even the below average matches were helped along by Gorilla and Jesse commentating.

like Brain said, some may argue that the Main Event should have been a one-on-one match between Hogan and Piper. I agree that the match would have been better, but what's the point if nobody watches it and the WWF goes out of business after taking such a bold risk such as WrestleMania in the first place?

that said, would Hogan vs. Piper have worked if Mr. T was the special referee? I'm not sure, but it might have been worth exploring. WCW did it once or twice when it was Hogan vs. Flair... having Mr. T referee, I mean. so maybe with T as the referee and not an in-ring performer, you keep the celebrity draw but also allow for a better match. I'm not sure. just throwing out an idea.

I really did like Brain's idea of the Sammartino's teaming up. Bruno back in the ring at MSG would have been a good drawing factor I think. so that's a good change to me.

looking at the rest of the card as outlined by Dagger, I see that very few matches lasted any real length of time. very quick. so I'd like to have one or two semi-lengthy quality matches between some good workers. that's the wrestling fan in me speaking. I totally understand the absolute NEED and MUST it was that this very first Mania be a success to the outside audience. that said, if you've got a ton of matches and only 1 or 2 are built to appeal to the actual wrestling fan, I'm not sure I see the danger there. then again, I'm not a business man with everything to lose.

maybe Superfly/Muraco in a Steel Cage. it had been done before and since, but at Mania in MSG could have been a good showcase. Valentine and Santana is another that could have been good here, or something with Steamboat or Junkyard Dog. adding the Steel Cage match with Superfly and Muraco and a good IC Title match would have made me just a little extra happy here.

as far as personal favorite matches, I really liked Andre vs. Studd. the Slam Challenge was a unique-ish concept and Andre throwing the money out into the crowd was a memorable moment.

fun thread. looking forward to the rest.

I really liked the main event. The build was incredible and the match delivered. I think people forget how big Mr. T was at the time. There is no way I change the main event. I would of made a couple changes to the undercard. I go with Valentine/Santana for the IC title. Santana could get a DQ win, Valentine could hurt Santana after the match and their feud continues. This national exposure would of elevated their epic feud. I would of had Bruno team with his son against Beefcake and Johnny V. This would of been great at the Garden. Something that always bothered me was Playboy Buddy Rose wrestling as the Executioner. Rose was known in the WWF and at the Garden. In my fantasy booking world I would of booked these two matches, Playboy Buddy Rose vs Tony Atlas and JYD vs Don Muraco. Atlas and Muraco should of been on the card. I guess Atlas was having personal problems and I don't know why Muraco wasn't on the card. I just think these matches would of been good attractions to the undercard. The original WrestleMania was a lot of fun and got the job done. The celebrity guests worked well in their roles and the crowd was hot. I still can't believe it's been 30 years!

I really liked the main event. The build was incredible and the match delivered. I think people forget how big Mr. T was at the time. There is no way I change the main event. I would of made a couple changes to the undercard. I go with Valentine/Santana for the IC title. Santana could get a DQ win, Valentine could hurt Santana after the match and their feud continues. This national exposure would of elevated their epic feud. I would of had Bruno team with his son against Beefcake and Johnny V. This would of been great at the Garden. Something that always bothered me was Playboy Buddy Rose wrestling as the Executioner. Rose was known in the WWF and at the Garden. In my fantasy booking world I would of booked these two matches, Playboy Buddy Rose vs Tony Atlas and JYD vs Don Muraco. Atlas and Muraco should of been on the card. I guess Atlas was having personal problems and I don't know why Muraco wasn't on the card. I just think these matches would of been good attractions to the undercard. The original WrestleMania was a lot of fun and got the job done. The celebrity guests worked well in their roles and the crowd was hot. I still can't believe it's been 30 years!

Some very good points here, Mr.T was an international star at this point and teaming with Hogan was just great business! Piper the hottest heel at the time having legit heat with T made for some great TV. It's a shame that they didn't feature any highlights of the build up to the feuds for each match but I am sure some matches had no history behind them.

This really is a different show as it's pretty much a really big house show. THere isn't much here (main event aside) that you wouldn't see at the monthly MSG show. That being said, you could definitely feel a different energy at this one and it's an absolutely huge show historically speaking. It's also not all that bad, with the main event being good old sports entertainment fun and some watchable matches in between. All this show had to be was entertaining and that's what it was. It's a good first entry in the series and exactly what the first Wrestlemania should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back