• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you like Rey Mysterio to take HIS title back?

Odisho

PISTOL PETE
First I would like to talk about rey mysterios return. Rey has improved so much since his return. He seems to be faster, more smooth in the. Ring. He's able to do more high flying stuff. Not like when he was in WCW but still, he has improved.

Remember when wwe had an awesome tournament for the wwe championship. It ended with Miz. Vs rey mysterio, in which mysterio wo n in a great match. Until the part that pissed. Me off hapend. John cena comes and automaticaly gets a title match in the same night. Rey puts on another great match. But ends up being "the ring boy of the wwe championship" and hands the title to cena after a loss. WITH NO REMATCH.

I was really happy when mysterio won the championship, I thought it was the right move to make rey in the title picture. I don't see why not, as he's super popular. I remember when at a raw in montreal where the crowd was dead, but when rey did his stuff, the fans cheered him like crazy.

I want to know if you think rey mysterio should receive another wwe championship win and this time ACTUALLY get a chance to have a run with it. Maybe after a rivalry with sin cara. BOOYAKA

Not at all. Rey is extremely over with the kids and mostly over with everyone else. If he's going to get another serious title run, it'll be with the WHC because, anymore, he's just not WWE Title material anymore. I say that for a few reasons:

1) He's too injury prone. He's been doing a high flying style for so many years now his knees just aren't reliable. He used to be great. Now he's good enough to get by and get people over. But do they want to put their A Championship on someone who could go out on any match?

2) He's in the final stages of his career where he's better served by getting others over. I think they're doing a good thing with him and Sin Cara.

3) While underdogs are great stories, it's just not that believable for him to have a lengthy run with the WWE Title. His matches are extremely predictable because the size difference is so apparent.

Rey Mysterio is a great worker and will always be over until the day he retires, but I'm thinking is World Title days are over. Especially the WWE Title. He'll be lucky to get another WHC run.

Firstly Rey did get his rematch, he faced Del Rio the night after Summerslam which was billed as "the rematch clause" and then of course he was injured etc. While seeing Mysterio get the WWE Championship would be a nice way to round of his career I just don't see it happening with his age and him being so injury prone.

Personally, I don't think he needs it, he is over with everyone and I think that now he and Sin Cara should get the tag titles before Wrestlemania and have a nice feud going into it like he did with Eddie back in 2005, a respect feud that could turn into a heated rivalry.

To use a cliché, you're really asking two different questions here.

Let's say the first question is "Is Rey Mysterio a world championship caliber wrestler?" The answer to that is yes, absolutely - Rey Mysterio is undoubtedly a world championship caliber wrestler. Rey is not only one of the best wrestlers in the world but one of the most popular wrestlers in the world. He can be relied upon to put on fantastic matches and he can be relied upon to sell masks, t-shirts and pay-per-views. No real complicated factors there.

On the other hand, the WWE Championship scene is already too crowded for my liking. I understand why Ryback was inserted (well, I assume that it was because there was a collective pants-shitting over whether John Cena was going to be fit by Hell in a Cell). From my point of view, you've now got two of the best wrestlers in the world having their incredible feud interrupted by a bald bloke with a neat-looking clothesline and bad teeth.

What's more, what happens to the title is almost inconsequential until the Royal Rumble. Who's going to oversee the handover to The Rock? Will it be Punk? Probably. Cena? Maybe. Ryback? Almost definitely not. There's no room for Rey Mysterio in that equation, and there won't be for a while.

I'm open to the suggestion that Mysterio is made world heavyweight champion for the third time, however. I've not been a fan of Car Stereo since the beginning; I'd rather a Sin Cara/Rey Mysterio team had stayed internet fanwank. A rivalry would just further legitimise the view that there's not a difference between one of the best wrestlers in the world and a man in a mask who does flips and points. If it were up to me, I'd have Sin Cara stabbed and left to bleed to death in an alley. I can see why those behinds the scenes might be less keen on that solution. But hey, that way there's nothing preventing Mysterio being slotted into the world championship picture.

It was never really Rey's title to begin with. Technically, the Rey reign and Cena reign that followed are questionable. CM Punk had taken the (kayfabe) "real" WWE Championship with him when he left after Money In the Bank. So you can't truly ask if Rey should win "his" title back at the moment. That win was more like a reward for the years of work that Rey has put in. He got his run with a World Championship back in 2006. One could argue that Cena should have just won the belt in the tournament, I did find it weird that Rey won and then lost it so quickly without ever getting a rematch. I doubt he will ever get a lengthy title reign with either world title. His 2006 World Championship run lasted longer than most of today's title reigns do anyhow.

I'm not a fan of Rey, the whole thing of him overcoming giant wrestlers got old ages ago and I can't stand the 619 finisher. I can understand why the move could be made to make him part of the world title scene though since he is still extremely popular and his masks sell like crazy. They could put him into a feud with Punk for TLC and have Rey bring up that he never got a rematch. That gives Punk something to do before facing The Rock at the Royal Rumble and then Rey gets the rematch he never got. I don't see Rey winning the WWE Championship anytime soon, however since he never did get that rematch it's very likely he could get a title shot at some point. Then again, WWE have been known to "forget" things. Johnny Curtis, winner of the season 4 NXT winner never did get that Tag Team Championship shot with R-Truth for instance.... Going by that theory, Rey might never get the WWE Championship shot he deserves. I'd support it if he does get one.

I'm not a fan of Rey, the whole thing of him overcoming giant wrestlers got old ages ago

Mm, yeah. I think back to the feuds that Rey's had in recent years - the muscle bound monster that is CM Punk; the leviathan that is Chris Jericho; the man mountain that is Cody Rhodes; the intimidating hulk that is Alberto Del Rio; and who could forget the true successor to Andre the Giant, Dolph Ziggler? Jeez, Rey! Get a new shtick!

The uniqueness of Rey has long since grown old and stale .He's down to one signature in ring move (hello Hulk Hogan) due to a history of injuries. Cut him loose ,let him hit the Indies to make some dough.

Rey is just another victim of wwe BUSINESS he defeated cm punk more than enough in his career and for business related reasons they make him lose to cena and before that to punk in the no.1 contender match why cause they think he can't be a good champion they always THINK instead of trusting superstars on't only they can't even keep their stars but also their ruin their potentials by making these foolish decisions

Know you're facts boy, he did get a RE-MATCH and it was against Del Rio after Summerslam. I was chuffed I got to see him wrestle twice last week and I marked out big time, the kids love him and the older fan base seemed really chuffed to see him too. I respect Rey Rey to bits but I don't believe he would make a good WWE champ again for a few reasons. a) His body is clearly gradually giving out on him and he can’t do things that he was doing 3/4 years ago, let alone way back in the WCW days. b) I potentially see him having one more singles title run but it would probably be for the Intercontinental or U.S belt if anything to give prestige. Many pro wrestlers in WWE can go better in the ring than him and his had his time at the top. c) I give it 6 months and he will be out injured again of failing another wellness test. People joke about Nash's knees and quads but Rey's left knee must be well and truely f*cked by now. He's one of the greatest 'entertainers' of all time no doubt, but I don't see him sticking around for years to come.

Know you're facts boy, he didn't loose it to John Cena in the same night it was the following week after Triple H made the match.

I'm afraid you're wrong. It's possible the confusion might stem from The Miz vs. Mysterio being postponed a week to make way for McMahon attempting to fire Cena. Mysterio won the title in the first match of the night against Miz and lost it in the last match of the night against Cena.

Yeah.

You're spot on Uncle Sam! I got it mixed up, I recall them postponing the Miz vs Mysterio final match for the following week because of time issues or something? So yea hypocrtie or what!

First off, to say it's HIS title like he actually had a great WWE title run is wrong in my book as his WWE title run is comparable to that of Dolph Ziggler's first world heavyweight title run. Rey held the WWE title, just to drop it to Cena to further the Punk/Cena feud.

now for the answer, i dont think Rey ever gets a WWE title win in the NEAR future. now if he somehow sticks around, maybe he gets one more shot later on sometime AFTER Mania, but i dont see it. the WWE title will likely be with Punk until the Rumble where Rock wins it, then Cena takes it back from Rock. as for the World title picture, i think they let Ziggler walk into WM with the title. as for Rey, i think his best shot at a world title is the world heavyweight title, not the wwe title, but me personally, i dont want him as the world champion, yet. i like the current run they are doing. my hope is that they either 1) end the rein of team Hell No or 2) end the rein of Rhodes Scholars and then be a great tag team, then at WM have a respect type of match (see Eddie vs. Rey at WM) which would lead to a more heated Cara/Rey feud. i think that would be a better way to use Rey right now.

I do not believe that Rey Mysterio should receive another title shot. One reason being that he is at the end of his career. Additionally, like many have stated before, he is very injury prone. To be honest, I find it rare when Mysterio is wrestling these days, as it seems as if something is always wrong with him, be it the flu or an injury. I believe that Mysterio has seen his better days and is better off where he is right now in the tag team division. If anything, he should contribute to the division in hopes to revitalize it for future tag teams.

I really don't like Rey as champion. He's a fantastic wrestler, but he's just awful on the mic. It was exciting when he won the WHC in 2006 because he had never been to the top before and it was cool to see a guy with his size and skill set win the big one because no one ever thought it would happen. Now that it HAS happened, there's really no need for it to again. Kids will continue to buy his merchandise whether he's in the main event spot or not. He doesn't need the championship to get over, so there's really no point in him holding the belt the way I look at it.

Rey is in the perfect spot for this part of his career. Seeing him in that tag match this past week is exactly where he needs to be. Developing talent.

He no longer should be considered main event talent. He's never been very good at promos and I for one hope he never gets another "thank you" run @ the top of the card.

I'm sure over the next few months they'll win the tag belts and we all know it's Rey vs. Sin Cara @ 'Mania it's just a matter of how they build that.

First of all, I don't give a damn about his mic skills or not. There have been plenty of champions who wasn't the best on the mic. I'm all about what you can do in the ring.

I don't see him getting a title run on Raw, but I wouldn't be opposed to Smackdown. He can still help guys like Ziggler, Rhodes, and Sandow if they are in the title picture in the future. Even though Mysterio isn't what he once was, he's still better than about 90% of the roster.

I hope Rey vs. Sin Cara at Wrestlemania never happens. I don't want to see Rey Mysterio fight a second rate Rey Mysterio.

I have no desire whatsoever to see Mysterio as WWE Champion. His first reign wasn't exactly something to crow about and, all in all, Mysterio's current spot is probably the best for him. While it seems most everyone wants to give all the credit to Bryan & Kane, Mysterio has been doing his part as well in putting life back into the tag team picture in WWE.

Rey is someone that I always saw firmly as an upper mid-card guy that occasionally went up into the main event. Not that Rey isn't talented because he is, he's a better overall wrestler now in some ways than he's ever been. Since he's gotten older, he's had to incorporate some actual storytelling into his matches. Rey's health is a big reason why I'm not interested in seeing him as WWE Champion. His body's giving out on him, he's having to take more and more time off to heal up when he gets hurt. The Lucha Libre style is notorious for wearing out the bodies of wrestlers to adopt it. Rey's knees are pretty much held together right now with a hope & a prayer. He's still a young man in the grand scheme of things.

I don't see much money in Mysterio either to be perfectly honest. Not that he doesn't help make WWE money but, let's face it, Mysterio as champion just doesn't have an exciting ring to it. He almost certainly wouldn't get a long run and I for one has seen more than enough lackluster 30 day WWE Championship reigns. Punk's on fire right now whoever takes it from him should be on fire as well and Mysterio just isn't. He can be of overall better use as a star in the tag team and/or mid-card scene helping out younger talent.

Mysterio should never get anywhere near either world championship again. Mysterio has never been a draw and he's even less of a draw now that he can barely work a match due to his injuries. Mysterio should stick to tag teams and leave the main event scene to people who can draw.

Mysterio should never get anywhere near either world championship again. Mysterio has never been a draw and he's even less of a draw now that he can barely work a match due to his injuries. Mysterio should stick to tag teams and leave the main event scene to people who can draw.

Like who? I do know somebody. He seems like a draw. His last name is Cena. Unusual last name but I'm sure he'll go places. There's another guy I have my eye own and his first name is John. I like John. Very solid first name. Manly, one might say. Also, there is this wrestler coming up the ranks. He's from Massachusetts. I think somewhere close to Boston. He should be very over with the crowd whenever WWE has shows there.

I was pretty happy with the Mysterio win and loss in the same night because I thought that it fairly gave him a reign to his credit without distracting from the top of the card, which he just cannot be trusted at long term.

Obviously, as others have pointed out, the long term WWE Championship picture is already fairly mapped out with Punk or Cena having to lose to The Rock at Royal Rumble and with Rock most likely having to drop the strap at WrestleMania back to one of them (or maybe Lesnar with a contract renewal). So, Rey getting in that mix in the next four or five months simply is not going to happen.

As for long term ... he is just probably too old for the company's top strap at this point, especially given his injury problems. He could maybe make another run as World Heavyweight Champion, but I imagine that the E will shortly try to figure out a way to make this more than just the "B" champion for the company as it has been ever since Randy Orton dropped it to Mark Henry.

I love Rey ... and think he has had a great career. I would not hate to see him in another world championship picture, but I would be surprised to see it happen.

It really also depends on how long Mysterio wants to stay around he is 38 in less than a month and has had a injury riddled career so he might only stay around til mania or a little while past that. I personally wouldn't be against it I think the world title picture on Smackdown has been stale since about the royal rumble. However I can't see Mysterio having another run with the title.

Would you like Rey Mysterio to take HIS title back?
Simplee sad: No.

He is upper midcarder at the best and was never someone who I could see as "World champ" big. And it's not because of his size it's just that I don't really see him as a "full package". He is in-ring good, but lacks mic skills and he is not appealing to me(he is appealing to little kids and I am not the kid). Plus, I hate Avatar and he wrestled in Avatar suit and mask in Wrestlemania 26 agaisn't Punk. :)

I'd be very pleased with a long term Rey title reign, WWE or World Heavyweight. If Rey is leaving in a year, he might as well leave with one last run with a strap. A big star that still has yet to be the focus of the company in a legitimate way, Rey could certainly draw a crowd as champion in his final months and could be just what the WWE is looking for. I'm all for it.

Like who? I do know somebody. He seems like a draw. His last name is Cena. Unusual last name but I'm sure he'll go places. There's another guy I have my eye own and his first name is John. I like John. Very solid first name. Manly, one might say. Also, there is this wrestler coming up the ranks. He's from Massachusetts. I think somewhere close to Boston. He should be very over with the crowd whenever WWE has shows there.

If you really think John Cena is the only person who draws money, you're as delusional as Vince. WWE has probably a dozen stars who draw more money than Mysterio.

hell no, injury prone. How was it HIS title to begin with, there's been numrerous title changes since then. Mysterio is a mid card at best, only there for his appeal to the kids. He is not believable as a Heavyweight Champion, and the big belt should never be seen around his waist ever again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back