Defining the Moment: Rey Mysterio

LSN80

King Of The Ring
So after watching Raw on Monday night, and two excellent tv matches both bookended by Rey Rey, I realized Rey is one glaring ommission from the Defining Moments series. Monday's Raw certainly marked a "Defining Moment" in the career of Rey Mysterio, in winning his first WWE Championship(and third overall World Heavyweight Championship) and losing it in the very same night.

What truly makes for a "Defining Moment", if you will? They're the ones that one would look back on following the end of a wrestlers career and remember, for a variety of reasons. With Rey, like any other, it can be a promo, a backstage segment, and most certainly a match. In the case of Rey here, it's due to him being only the 4th wrestler to win a major World Championship and then lose it on the very same night. The wrestler doesn't have to be a favorite or even one you like for this to work: Its simply a moment you'll look back upon years from now when their career is over and remember. In the "defining moment" it will be that one place where one will look back andc remember more then any other moment of the wrestler's career. A moment that we look back on with fondness and respect, whether we like the wrestler or not. These moments are what truly make us wrestling fans. We all have our reasons for getting into wrestling, but it's safe to say that a certain wrestler influenced it, some more than others. And it's because of certain things, or "defining moments", that have occurred in said wrestler's career and is that special moment that sticks with us through time.

Rey Mysterio serves as another reminder of a career that has spanned decades, with countless moments, matches, and spectacular spots. Rey had some spectacular matches in ECW and WCW with the likes of Dean Malenko, Juventad Guerrero, Psychosis, and Eddie Guerrero, as well as classics within WWE with the likes of Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Edge, and Chris Jericho, amongst others. But the match to me that truly defines Rey's career was one in which Rey literally overcame 29 other superstars. In the build leading up to the match, we saw some Alberto Del Rio like talk from Rey, claming that his winning the match was destined to be as a result of his close friendship with the late Eddie Guerrero. And when Rey Mysterio started the Royal Rumble match of 2006 at #2, he literally overcame 29 others to win it, his guaranteed shot at the title at Wrestlemania, and his first World Championship.

[YOUTUBE]r9dkt-rlu7Y[/YOUTUBE]

This match would be the beginning of Rey's journey to show he truly belonged in the upper echelon of WWE wrestler's, as it lead to his match with Randy Orton for his title shot at No Way Out, and he winning the title against Orton and Kurt Angle at WM 22. This cememted Rey at the top of the card, as he'ld go on to win two more major titles, first in a Fatal Four Way at last year's PPV of the same name, and finally on last week's Raw. In a career full of highlights, this may have been the biggest of them all, and his "defining moment" in my eyes.

But what say you? What was the defining moment in Rey Mysterio's career, and why? Feel free to use YouTube to validate your choice if you'ld like, but most of all, have fun with this. :)

I'd say his match with Angle at Summerslam 2002. It was his first PPV - at one of the big 4 PPVs mind you - against a high quality opponent. Sure, his debut match with Chavo was OK, but this match blew his debut out the water! His moves looked crisper, the pace was terrific, and from what I remember, although it was the opening match of the PPV, they had a decent amount of time to work with.

Angle has great matches with anyone, but on that night, you knew Rey was going to be something special in years to come with his cool attire, trademark mask, the way he jumped out from under the ground (which I miss to this day), and flashy moves.

I'll agree with Matth. His moves were fluid, high paced, and very entertaining. Plus, you had his entrance coming in behind Angle. The match overall was a terrific match to show off Rey's ability.

I think his Royal Rumble was a huge fucking feat. Rey Mysterio is an underdog. His whole career was based on him being the underdog; the biggest little man. His Royal Rumble win in 2006 solidified him not only as a main event player in the WWE, but the ultimate underdog. Most will say he won soley based on Eddie's passing which may be a bit true. But if you look at the months leading up to the passing, Rey Mysterio worked his ass off in and out of the ring. His feud with Eddie Guerrero showed just what he can do with someone from the main event. No offense to some of his other "defining moments" but Mysterio's Royal Rumble victory is probably his most memorable moment. Rey Mysterio's Royal Rumble victory has to be his defining moment in his WWE career.

Gotta agree with Hamler and LSN. I was thinking the same exact thing before I saw what LSN said. As a 10 year old, I marked out when Rey won the rumble. I think it was a huge feat for him and it cemented the rest of his career.

Because he won the rumble, he was able to capture the World Heavyweight title. Now was it because of Eddie? We'll never really know, but a title reign is a title reign.

Since he won the WHC, he got out of that low mid-card slump. Now he is able to go after the world title without having a 0 percent chance. The rumble helped him a lot, like it did with a lot of other wrestlers.

Winning that rumble was his defining moment.

I agree with most people on the 2007 Rumble Match as being his biggest moment, but there are also a couple of others that really helped him be thought of as something more than just an outstanding cruiserweight. His match with Eddie Guerrero at Halloween Havoc was absolutely amazing. Every single move in that match seemed to be spot on and proved that the little guys could go just as hard, and often times harder than the heavyweights. Also, the tag team two out of three falls match between Edge and Mysterio and Angle and Benoit was just crazy. He was putting on a wrestling clinic with an Olympic athlete and perhaps one of the top technical wrestlers ever. I think that rivalry really helped him build credibility in the WWE.

It may not count as a defining moment to many, and many of you may not remember it, but the match that got me seeing rey as a main event superstar was towards the end of wcw on monday nitro, he went against Ric Flair for the world title in the main event. Great match in my eyes, and for me, it solidified Rey as a maint event player

Yea, I agree with coleminer that Nitro match proved he can hand with the big boys. One of my best Mysterio matche ever.

The moment that defined Rey Mysterio was back in 2005 in the day that Eddie Guerrero turned on him in a tag team match against MNM.
He went over in that very personal feud, that people actually believed that him and Eddie were best-friends and that Eddie could really be Dominick's father.

After that we all know that Eddie died, and Mysterio kinda of used it, but I believe it was not for his own personal accomplishments, but because he was really trying to pay tribute to his real life friend.
Some months after that he won Royral Rumble that established him as real time main eventer.

Rey Mysterio defining moment​
[YOUTUBE]BoRXf8ZYMqo[/YOUTUBE]​

The defining moment of Rey Mysterio's career surely has to be between him defeating Orton and Angle at WrestleMania 22 or him winning the Royal Rumble in memory of Eddie only two months after Eddie's death. Honestly, I can't see it being anything else.

Him winning the Royal Rumble, and being in the actual match for such a long period of time was really one of the biggest feats his character has had where he's constantly proclaimed as the underdog. He was in there for over 45 minutes and I'm pretty sure he came out second was it not? And then you had him actually winning the World Heavyweight which was a great credit to him, because Rey Mysterio has had a great career and whether it be in WWE, WCW, ECW or in Mexico hes worked as hard as he can to get what he gets.

The whole period between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania 22 was his defining moment to be honest, because those two months had so many things happen for him that its hard to choose one.

I know I won't be the only one to mention it, but the defining moment of Rey's career was when he won the World Championship at Wrestlemania 22 because he completely overcame the odds and also did it to honor his friend Eddie. I highly doubt Rey will ever have a moment in his career that tops that one. His winning the Rumble that year sure was a shock to me, I did not see it coming and although I didn't like him winning it was a surprise and he did a good job.

I'd have to say the "Defining moment" for Rey Mysterio would have to be Wrestlemania 22 where he defeated Angle and Orton, to win his first major championship, which in my eyes is a big feat to win a championship especially one as big as the WHC and for Rey that would be quite some accomplishment, bearing in mind many people his size won't hold that title.

Without a Doubt rey's rise to superstardom in the beginning of 2006, gaining momentum into the Royal Rumble dedicating a win to Eddie Guerrero who was so fresh in everyones thoughts.

And of course Rey coming in a number fucking two and eliminating triple h and randy orton and us and rey for that matter actually realizing that he did it and hes going to wrestlemania, not to mention lasting the longest 62 minutes.

But overall, rey becoming the littlest world heavyweight champion in history at 165 pounds. Yes Rey Mysterio has come a long way from getting his neck broken by Kevin Nash in WCW on that production trailer to winning the Royal Rumble and beating Randy Orton and Kurt Angle for the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania 22.

The whole period between Royal Rumble and WrestleMania 22 was his defining moment to be honest, because those two months had so many things happen for him that its hard to choose one.

I'd have to agree with this, but start about the time of Eddie's death and go to Mania. Everything from that match with Shawn Michaels, to him talking about Eddie and their past together, and pulling his own mask off himself. It pulled you toward him and everyone knew it was his time. Then all his talk before the Rumble. How he was destined to win the Rumble and become the World Heavyweight Championship for Eddie. Him winning the Rumble in amazing style. Then winning the belt in the triple threat against Orton and Angle. Anything and everything from the opening of the Eddie tribute to the close of 'Mania 22 could be called his "moment" easily.

Reys defining moment was the feud with Eddie in 05 he had some great matches and showed that he could be featured in a high profile feud without that feud his whole push to WM following eddies death would of been abit out of no where

Eddie Guerrero's death. Nah, that's kinda true but a bit too mean.

On a less meaner note, I would go with the following two moments that posters have already mentioned before.

His match with Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2002: Most WWE fans who had never watched WCW had never seen this kind of wrestling. He took Angle to the limit in this match and wowed the audience and began a love affair with theme which was to last awhile. This match would probably rate as my second favorite curtain jerker to a PPV after Hart vs Hart from WM10.

Royal Rumble victory in 2006: Even if you were expecting Rey to win because of the Eddie Guerrero situation, you could not have been absolutely sure after you watched him walk down to the ring at the Number 1 spot. After all, how many people had won the Rumble from the Number 1 spot? But he did that and that win cemented his position as the best underdog of all time. I think that this victory of his was probably more memorable than his actual title victory at WrestleMania because the match at WrestleMania was very short. I would have also liked him to face Orton in a singles match at Mania. That was the blood feud at that time with Orton dissing Guerrero and a win over Orton would have made the moment much more memorable.

I think his Royal Rumble was a huge fucking feat. Rey Mysterio is an underdog. His whole career was based on him being the underdog; the biggest little man. His Royal Rumble win in 2006 solidified him not only as a main event player in the WWE, but the ultimate underdog. Most will say he won soley based on Eddie's passing which may be a bit true. But if you look at the months leading up to the passing, Rey Mysterio worked his ass off in and out of the ring. His feud with Eddie Guerrero showed just what he can do with someone from the main event. No offense to some of his other "defining moments" but Mysterio's Royal Rumble victory is probably his most memorable moment. Rey Mysterio's Royal Rumble victory has to be his defining moment in his WWE career.

Well said Hamler, the RR victory was a huge achievement for Mysterio, who would ever have said a man under 5 foot 5 would be heading to WM to compete for the World Heavywright Title??

Yes, he got the rub due to Eddie Guerrero's tragic death but Rey had been on fire for a long time before hand, and it could be argued that he deserved it. The fans were certainly happy to see him pushed this way. It definitely solidified him as the "Ultimate Underdog", as no other Cruiserweight had managed this accomplishment, and ensured that Rey will be remembered as an all time great. Definitely his defining achievement in my eyes as it was the point that showed that WWE believed that Mysterio was worthy of a spot in the main event bracket.

Mysterio's defining moment to me is more than one match. For me it would be Rey's road to Wrestlemania 22. Rey was getting the sympathy push with the WWE using Eddie Guerrero's death as a catapult for Mysterio, but no matter how you look at it, it was the defining point for Rey's career. Rey put on a show in the Rumble, winning it from the number 2 spot. Then he goes on to win his first World Championship at Wrestlemania against Angle and Orton. This whole road put Rey in the main eventer scene and since that point he has been seen as a main eventer and can hang with the big dogs. Since that point Rey has gone on to win 2 more world championships and has consistently put on some of the best matches week in and week out. But without that moment, who knows where Mysterio would be. I'd reckon he would never be seen as a main event talent and be just a great midcarder who puts on a show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back