Would moving to America be worth it?

I think Denmark is actually the happiest place in the world. Moving there wouldn't be a bad idea. Finland is supposed to be pretty nice as well.

I'm not trying to say my opinion means more than anyone else who has posted in this thread, but I think I can give you a different, encouraging perspective since I immigrated to America. I was born in Panama and just 7 years after my birth, I was already being shipped away to America. I can tell you, that it was definitely worth it. I've lived here almost a decade and have loved every year I've been here.

The opportunities in Panama were and still are nothing compared to what they are here. Even with a bad economy, my mom and grandma are making decent money and have full time jobs. Also, we live in a very peaceful neighborhood and what I guess can be called a small city when you compare it to cities like Orlando and Miami (Remember I live in Florida).

So yes, America is a wonderful country even with all of the bad things we have and a move here is definitely worth if and only if things really are as bad as you say things are over where you live. But remember, with anything there are sacrifice you have to make and you might be sacrifycing a lot for years. I know my family did, so it's a possibility that you'll sacrifice a lot too. Also, make sure that when you do move here you have a place to stay at until you can find a job or something and get a more permanent home unless you plan to live in whatever college/university you're going to.

One last thing you should keep in mind, please don't be one of those people that come here and expect for everyone to adapt to them and their ways. Obviously you speak English so that won't be a problem, but during my time here I've seen a lot of people (hispanics specifically) expect for people to speak their language, cook the food they eat, and adapt to them in every possible way. If I was able to come here, adapt to the way things are and learn the language then I am sure most other people can do the same as long as they put forth an effort.

I'm not trying to say my opinion means more than anyone else who has posted in this thread, but I think I can give you a different, encouraging perspective since I immigrated to America. I was born in Panama and just 7 years after my birth, I was already being shipped away to America. I can tell you, that it was definitely worth it. I've lived here almost a decade and have loved every year I've been here.

The opportunities in Panama were and still are nothing compared to what they are here. Even with a bad economy, my mom and grandma are making decent money and have full time jobs. Also, we live in a very peaceful neighborhood and what I guess can be called a small city when you compare it to cities like Orlando and Miami (Remember I live in Florida).

So yes, America is a wonderful country even with all of the bad things we have and a move here is definitely worth if and only if things really are as bad as you say things are over where you live. But remember, with anything there are sacrifice you have to make and you might be sacrifycing a lot for years. I know my family did, so it's a possibility that you'll sacrifice a lot too. Also, make sure that when you do move here you have a place to stay at until you can find a job or something and get a more permanent home unless you plan to live in whatever college/university you're going to.

One last thing you should keep in mind, please don't be one of those people that come here and expect for everyone to adapt to them and their ways. Obviously you speak English so that won't be a problem, but during my time here I've seen a lot of people (hispanics specifically) expect for people to speak their language, cook the food they eat, and adapt to them in every possible way. If I was able to come here, adapt to the way things are and learn the language then I am sure most other people can do the same as long as they put forth an effort.

thanks. I definitely wouldn't want people to adapt to my ways because that's what I want to escape. I think I'm going to try and do it. I don't know what the first steps are but I'll see anyways. I don't know where I'll move but I need somewhere with a good college. and if I don't make it to the USA for whatever reason I'll just go to Canada :).

I have always fancied moving to the States if there was the job I wanted waiting for me; not to one of the big cities mind you. Preferably a smallish town in the shadow of a city. I have friends who have a house about 50 miles north of Denver and it is in what I would consider a prime location - close enough to the plains, the mountains and the city to get to but not actually in them

If you're going to jump the pond, aim a little more north, and come to Canada. Just as many perks as the states, but we're awesome, eh?

calgary, alberta, canada.

But seriously you're complaining about the weather and scotland and wanting to move to new england?

People who shit on America while living in it should go live in Somalia or some place like that for a year and then see what you really have to bitch about when you get back. I, as a fat lazy slob of a human being, know that I wouldn't be able to cut it in almost any other country, therefore I appreciate what I have here.

People who shit on America while living in it should go live in Somalia or some place like that for a year and then see what you really have to bitch about when you get back. I, as a fat lazy slob of a human being, know that I wouldn't be able to cut it in almost any other country, therefore I appreciate what I have here.

:lmao::lmao: Nice. I didn't mean to come off Rednecky. I am most certainly not one of those people who say, "America is the greatest country in the world" since I've never been anywhere else. All I know is that I have a high quality of life and if I were in a lesser country, I'd be in a lot worse shape than I am now. There are things that piss me off and things that I want to change. But there are a lot of great things about America that these cynical ***** always take for granted.

Listen to this guy, CM. Since America's so fucking huge, we tend to judge how it is from the state we live in. Just pick the right one (I'd go for somewhere like Florida, Texas, California, Washington, or Arizona...avoid the mid-Atlantic and Northeast like the plague).

Listen to this guy, CM. Since America's so fucking huge, we tend to judge how it is from the state we live in. Just pick the right one (I'd go for somewhere like Florida, Texas, California, Washington, or Arizona...avoid the mid-Atlantic and Northeast like the plague).

Thanks. I've been to Florida before but can't imagine my self living there. It's one of the places in the US that I think would be hard to get used to. California and Washington would be places I'd consider. California especially. I have no idea what Arizona is like and Texas just seems too American. I couldn't imagine getting used to Texas.

I'm interested in why you think I should avoid the North East and and mid atlantic.

Canada is looking like a good option now as well and I imagine it would be easier to move there than the US.

wheres somewhere good in canada?

Nowhere, it's all quite shit (save for Toronto).

Thanks. I've been to Florida before but can't imagine my self living there. It's one of the places in the US that I think would be hard to get used to. California and Washington would be places I'd consider. California especially. I have no idea what Arizona is like and Texas just seems too American. I couldn't imagine getting used to Texas.

I'm interested in why you think I should avoid the North East and and mid atlantic.

Canada is looking like a good option now as well and I imagine it would be easier to move there than the US.

I'm not really from Inverness-shire; I just put that there as a joke and I never changed it back. I live in Virginia, about 20 minutes away from Washington, D.C. If you don't like being cold then you're best to avoid the Mid-Atlantic and the Northeast. Also, you're going to encounter tons of Type-A personality assholes if you live in these areas. It sounds like you're looking for something more laid back; if that's the case, you need to look southwest/West Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back