Would moving to America be worth it?

Pole Smoker

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've been thinking about how much I want to move to America. I've wanted to move there for years. It is just so much better in every way than Scotland (my home country) which is just full of psychopaths. There's so much more opportunity in America not to mention the weather lol. I'd want to move somewhere in New England or something but do you think it's worth the risk/hassle? Cheers:)

Why do you want to move to America? Do you have long-term working arrangements, meaning you'd have money to afford to live here? Do you have a love interest in which both of you are serious enough to warrant a move to a completely new country, even without working arrangements? Do you not have family that you regard highly enough to warrant being able to see?

I live in America, and can tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be. I love it, and don't want to leave it, but I don't see why you'd want to move from Europe to here. There's just as many psychopaths here, and the "opportunities" you speak of are not as plenteous as you make it out to be, especially since I do not know your educational background.

There's an old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side." Adhere to it, as once you'd come here, you'd realize it's not as great as you think, and it's not as bad there as you think.

Why do you want to move to America? Do you have long-term working arrangements, meaning you'd have money to afford to live here? Do you have a love interest in which both of you are serious enough to warrant a move to a completely new country, even without working arrangements? Do you not have family that you regard highly enough to warrant being able to see?

I live in America, and can tell you it's not all it's cracked up to be. I love it, and don't want to leave it, but I don't see why you'd want to move from Europe to here. There's just as many psychopaths here, and the "opportunities" you speak of are not as plenteous as you make it out to be, especially since I do not know your educational background.

There's an old saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side." Adhere to it, as once you'd come here, you'd realize it's not as great as you think, and it's not as bad there as you think.

Good points. I'd want to go to college in America if I went there. I don't have a serious partner or anything and my brother wants to move to. Even though there are still psychopaths in the US there are far less when you compare the numbers. I'm just wandering if it's even worth my time looking into it.

Scotland is seriously messed up as well. Search on Google images for Easterhouse if you want an example. My cousin lives there. Most town are like this on the west and it's rough as hell. Thugs will attack you simply for looking at them. Just about everyone is a thug. Not a safe or friendly place at all!

There are many reasons I want to move and would have no regrets doing so. I have nothing to stay for and would work pretty hard to make it to the USA. Ive been there 15 times so I have a feel for what its like.

I do sort of take this country for granted. The USA is a pretty rockin' country in the grand scheme of things.

Good points. I'd want to go to college in America if I went there. I don't have a serious partner or anything and my brother wants to move to. Even though there are still psychopaths in the US there are far less when you compare the numbers. I'm just wandering if it's even worth my time looking into it.
If you want to go to college in America, then I would suggest getting accepted to a college before moving here. You'd likely even be able to get into a college as an international student, and go to college in the US while still a resident of Scotland, then you can decide to move here and become a legal resident after graduation. Or worse case scenario try to get in a University by you and get a study abroad in America if nothing else works.

Scotland is seriously messed up as well. Search on Google images for Easterhouse if you want an example. My cousin lives there. Most town are like this on the west and it's rough as hell. Thugs will attack you simply for looking at them. Just about everyone is a thug. Not a safe or friendly place at all!
And America has places just like that. No matter what country you live in, you'd likely find something like that.

There are many reasons I want to move and would have no regrets doing so. I have nothing to stay for and would work pretty hard to make it to the USA. Ive been there 15 times so I have a feel for what its like.
But how long have you stayed each time? The longer you stay somewhere, the more negatives arise.

Don't take anything that I'm saying as trying to dissuade you in this, I just want you to make a well informed decision, and not jump to a conclusion that you might regret later down the line.

I do sort of take this country for granted. The USA is a pretty rockin' country in the grand scheme of things.

You're spot on here, X. Many people take for granted how awesome this country is. Myself included sometimes.

I've been thinking about how much I want to move to America. I've wanted to move there for years. It is just so much better in every way than Scotland (my home country) which is just full of psychopaths. There's so much more opportunity in America not to mention the weather lol. I'd want to move somewhere in New England or something but do you think it's worth the risk/hassle? Cheers:)

Whoa! Mother fucker!

Scotland doesn't even want you no mo...

I'm jealous of you Americans tbh. While you say you can find places like that in the US (which you can of course.Probably worse seen as you have poorer areas.) about 50% of Scotland is like that and the other 50% isn't so special itself. Meanwhile in the US you can live in a good area, with great weather (it's bitter cold and wet here), with nice calm people who are normal and who won't bottle you for being in the wrong scheme. In the US simple things like High School look amazing. High schools here are terrible. They are like wild animals at my old school and I got in a good few fights and saw one nearly every day which is a lot in a school of 700 people aged 11-17. It's full of young gangs who will threaten you with a weapon if you come into the toilets (the teachers don't care).

I know everywhere has it's bad people and areas but in the US there are much less when you compare the numbers (in the nice areas of the US which there are a lot of). I would even go live in Canada over here.

Given that you're foreign, you'll get tons of pussy when you come here. Expect dudes to be quite hostile, though (well, they won't be so bad if you go to college/university here).

Just remember, the ruthless and shameless prosper in America. If you have no problem cutting someone's throat (metaphorically speaking, that is) then you'll do just fine here.

There are a few community colleges up here in New England that you can get into as long as you have a decent GPA (Like above a 2)

They're cheap

Given that you're foreign, you'll get tons of pussy when you come here. Expect dudes to be quite hostile, though (well, they won't be so bad if you go to college/university here).

Just remember, the ruthless and shameless prosper in America. If you have no problem cutting someone's throat (metaphorically speaking, that is) then you'll do just fine here.

Are you from Scotland. Inverness?

There are a few community colleges up here in New England that you can get into as long as you have a decent GPA (Like above a 2)

They're cheap

I'd hope to get into a really good college because I won't be moving (if I do) until I get my degree and hopefully that will make it allot easier.

This country is facing economic ruin, and is also run by a bunch of greedy assholes. We could get our credit rating dropped and our dollar is falling apart, it is better to just stay away.

It's a country where you can simply do whatever the fuck you want and can (usually) get away with it unless you're entirely stupid.

I'd avoid moving here. Country's in one of its worst economic times in decades, and is at any moment now in danger of a serious recession happening again. With the deficit as bad as it is, the recession could be the worst ever. Combine that with the threat of war, violence, corruption, overdue earthquake for the pacific plate causing millions of deaths/billions of damage worth, newly found uncurable diseases discovered, protests, potential civil unrest when economy dips, russian fucking spies knowing the location of US nuclear sites, NASA-warned solar storms capabable of wiping out all of the electricity in north america (parts of europe as well) for 4-10 years, NFL/NBA lockout taking away from america's family traditional entertainment during tough economic times, Sino/Russian relationship as strong as its ever been, and international terrorism all HUGE issues if the economy goes into an extremely serious recession, I'd just stay in Europe for now.

Eh, I'm only kidding. US is a great place to live! I'd live in the southeast though, great place to live. Weather's always great and people are friendly when I went to atlanta, GA for 3 months to go visit my father. I live in NYC and if you're polite here in public, its seen as unusual and awkward

It's America. Why wouldn't you want to move here? Even with all our faults, we are still better than any other country in the world.

Take Nev's advice. Move to the Southeast if you do move here. I'm convinced the nicest people in the world live between in North Carolin and Florida, and everywhere in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back