• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World Snooker Championship 2013 - General Discussion Thread

Johnny Scumm

InZayn In The Membrane
Anyone watching? Been a great tournament so far. Brilliant to see Ronnie O'Sullivan back playing and we've had two amazing upsets so far.

Dechawat Poomjaeng beating Steven Maquire & today, Robert Milkins beat the FAVOURITE Neil Robertson in his first round match.

Could be an interesting one for sure, even though I see O'Sullivan retaining his title.

If not, Poomjaeng vs Milkins anyone?

But better.

The WSC is the biggest Snooker Tourney held every year at the Crucible in Sheffield. This years has been super interesting so far with huge surprises.

It's set up for either four-time champion O'Sullivan to retain after not playing all season or Selby to win the Grand Slam of the Worlds, Masters and UK Championships.

Aside from those two? 2005 Champ Shaun Murphy is a good player and is always a contender for titles, while Ali Carter is more than good enough, and arguably should have won at least one by now. His problem though? His next match is against Ronnie O'Sullivan, who he has NEVER beaten in World Championships (including a couple of finals)

Poomjaeng is a bit of a sideshow. he might get a good run to the QF, but he fluked a fair few shots against Maguire. He's good fun though, but I wouldn't want him as World champion.

Ding Junhui is as good a shout as any. When he plays, he's a fucking dynamo, and very few can match him. e seems to have settled this season and could finally have a good run at the world championship.

Judd Trump should be good enough, but he always seems to either lose focus or throw away easy chances or something like that in recent big tournaments. Still, not to be discounted.

That said, with the amount of top players who've gone home early, I can see this being a year when a lower-ranked player shocks everyone (ala Shaun Murphy). Robert Milkins, with some of his play against Neil Robertson, has to be in with a shout if he can carry on playing like that.

Snooker is an acquired taste, and is only popular in certain parts of the world (mostly Asia and the UK). In fact, I can't name a single US player off the top my head.

It's set up for an outsider to win this year. O'Sullivan winning after taking a year out would be a piss-take. Instinct says it's the year of Selby or Trump.

2005 Champ Shaun Murphy is a good player and is always a contender for titles

Such a pompous little prick though. He's getting all my hatred since Hendry fucked off.

Snooker is an acquired taste, and is only popular in certain parts of the world (mostly Asia and the UK). In fact, I can't name a single US player off the top my head.

Because they're all busy playing pool. There used to be a large Canadian contingent but they fell away when the prize money did. The game is finally starting to spread across Europe and it's completely taken over Asia.

I might go and put some money on Michael White tomorrow, the kid looks very impressive and he's got serious credentials from the junior scene.

Well, we did lose Poomjaeng to him ;) Kidding, but White's been great, I just don't think he could knock off O'Sullivan in the Finals. Ronnie's pretty much guaranteed the path to the end now, the greats are all being knocked out early on, shocked to see Selby out earlier.

There's something quite relaxing about watching it hungover.

As long as Ali Carter doesn't win I'll be happy. Gutted that Higgins got eliminated in the first round, will have to wait a while before seeing his amazing chin rest again. Are there any Scots players left?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back