Winter is Coming - The Night is Dark and Full of Spoilers

I'm cheap so I'll just read the books. Only issue I really have is Martin's narrative style at times drive me bat crazy to many POV's too keep up plus he hopefully will not pull a deal where he extends the trilogy like some authors did *cough*wheeloftime*cough*

Didnt the guy die before he finished that? Legit concern with Martin.

Барбоса;4389443 said:
The Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring might be split in two for publishing in paperback but that does not mean they will take any longer than just 2 books.

My concern is that there was a note (I believe in the 5th book?) that apologised for the delay in their release because he kept adding stuff to the second part once he realised he had too much material for one book.

I've read all but the first one on the kindle so I didn't notice the differing lengths too much. Hopefully if he is planning to split the final books he'll have a better idea as to how he wants the stories split.

Just found out today that my initial plan for seeing season 3 on my Mums Sky Go account is buggered as HBO shows aren't available. Bugger.

Having read only to the end of book three, seeing a critic write that Theon is going to be in this season threw me through a loop. Have I missed something?

Really, there would just be a changing of the scenes throughout the series, as the producers have been stating over and over they're not adapting the books individually, rather than the series as a whole. It's why there's that occasional scene moved around, like what should have been the Season 3 opener ended up being the season 2 finale, character dialogue, character merging (Talisa's book counterpart doesn't appear in book 2, ;but rather very early on book 3), etc. Most likely, we'll see bits and pieces of Theon back in the North and some other stuff that would have most likely been in Book 4/5.

FWIW, I wanted to pull a Barbosa and rock a GOT picture and quote in my sig in celebration of the new season. But I struggled to find a picture of Beric Dondarrion that I like.

FWIW, I wanted to pull a Barbosa and rock a GOT picture and quote in my sig in celebration of the new season. But I struggled to find a picture of Beric Dondarrion that I like.

game-0f-thrones-s3-teaser-gallery-lord-beric-dondarrion_0.jpg

That not tickle your fancy?

To be honest, that is the only picture of decent quality I have seen of the new Dondarrion. Aside from a blurry GIF of him against the Hound, I have yet to see anything decent of Beric and his flaming sword.

I do like this though

3q340o.jpg

Seems you and I have found pretty much the same material. I'm definitely holding out for something with the flaming sword (Lightbringer?).

Seems you and I have found pretty much the same material. I'm definitely holding out for something with the flaming sword (Lightbringer?).

To be honest, I do not recall Beric having a flaming sword at all. I thought that that was associated more with Thoros of Myr. Or did Beric have one when he fought the Hound?

As for Lightbringer, Melisandre and Stannis claim that the flaming sword he possesses is the original Lightbringer of Azor Ahai but it almost certainly is not.

What follows does not contain a spoiler but more a prediction of what Lightbringer is so whether you want to read it or not, I will leave up to you.

I tend to think that the Lightbringer prophecy is more metaphorical and does not specifically a sword, more the tool with which Azor Ahai Reborn (whomever that may be) will defeat the Great Other, which is more than likely going to be a prediction of the dragons' role in the final battle.

Барбоса;4395137 said:
To be honest, I do not recall Beric having a flaming sword at all. I thought that that was associated more with Thoros of Myr. Or did Beric have one when he fought the Hound?

As for Lightbringer, Melisandre and Stannis claim that the flaming sword he possesses is the original Lightbringer of Azor Ahai but it almost certainly is not.

What follows does not contain a spoiler but more a prediction of what Lightbringer is so whether you want to read it or not, I will leave up to you.

I tend to think that the Lightbringer prophecy is more metaphorical and does not specifically a sword, more the tool with which Azor Ahai Reborn (whomever that may be) will defeat the Great Other, which is more than likely going to be a prediction of the dragons' role in the final battle.

Barbosa, see if Martin dies before he finishes the series, can you please audition (or whatever) to take over from him? A lot of what you suggest for where things may go just always sounds so good.

My memory of the event says Beric had a flaming sword when he fought the Hound. But now I'm thinking that I may have been mistaken.

Some of the artwork drawn up of their duel suggests that Dondarrion was wielding a flaming sword, such as the following.

MKomarck_Beric_v_Hound.jpg

Just looked it up. Dondarrion does fight the Hound with a flaming sword as he has become a follower of R'hllor due to Thoros.

I don't see Barristan shitting in the direction of an army, but maybe the mental image of that Belwas moment would never be topped.

So because nobody else has mentioned it, THOROS! Likeable character, one of the few in Westeros that could tangle with the Hound and live to talk about it and played by Paul Kaye. Doesn't get much better than that.

So because nobody else has mentioned it, THOROS! Likeable character, one of the few in Westeros that could tangle with the Hound and live to talk about it and played by Paul Kaye. Doesn't get much better than that.

He did more than tangle with the Hound, he beat him in tournament melees on three separate occasions - the flaming sword probably helped.

Барбоса;4419219 said:
He did more than tangle with the Hound, he beat him in tournament melees on three separate occasions - the flaming sword probably helped.

Aye that's what I was referring to,

what with the flaming sword not helping another favourite of mine in Beric when it counted.

Although a fight to the death might have a different outcome, that said I still believe in Thoros!

I think Thoros is something of a similar fighter to Bronn - a knight-slayer. Not all that heavily armoured and therefore more mobile, although as Jaime mentions in the books, in a fight to the death, the sheer ferocity of Sandor Clegane could make mince meat of many a good fighter.

I'm about to watch this show for the first time. The fact that I can enable an "in-episode guide" is kind of frightening. I am ready to be confused as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back